The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 01:52 PM
Royal Highness

I've heard that he may do it. If he kept the same name, he'd be Charles III, right? I'm not awesome on British royal history before George III, but I do know that one of the Charles' did something awful, and would probably not be best to be accociated with. George VII would be good, I don't think he'll be a King Arthur I, since that's too much like the mythical King Arthur, maybe Philip I, but I think George VII would be the best bet. Personally, I'd still rather him do Charles III, since we're so used to calling him Charles.

Old 06-14-2007, 02:08 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by acdc1
I've heard that he may do it. If he kept the same name, he'd be Charles III, right? I'm not awesome on British royal history before George III, but I do know that one of the Charles' did something awful, and would probably not be best to be accociated with. George VII would be good, I don't think he'll be a King Arthur I, since that's too much like the mythical King Arthur, maybe Philip I, but I think George VII would be the best bet. Personally, I'd still rather him do Charles III, since we're so used to calling him Charles.
Well, King Charles I was beheaded at the end of the Civil War in 1649. His son, Charles II, although I believe was a popular king was a bit of a womanizer and they might remind the British people of a dark time in thier history. That might be a reason to bypass that name.

I wouldn't mind if he uses his own first name and becomes Charles III, but on the other hand I think George VII sounds rather nice and it would be a nice honor to both his grandfather (George VI) and George III whom the prince greatly admires.

Old 06-14-2007, 02:26 PM
Courtier

Wouldn´t he become Charles IV? I think so...
I heard something like this, too. But I would prefer his real name. We know him to long with this name. I mean he is one of the most-have-to-wait heir. Another name would be very strange.
And beside that: King Charles and Queen Camilla sounds very good to me...
Old 06-14-2007, 02:36 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillW65
Well, King Charles I was beheaded at the end of the Civil War in 1649. His son, Charles II, although I believe was a popular king was a bit of a womanizer and they might remind the British people of a dark time in thier history. That might be a reason to bypass that name.
Most British people have no knowledge of history, so I don't think that is something he would have to consider.
Whatever he decides to call himself (perhaps King Fred) I'm sure he will make a wonderful King.
Old 06-14-2007, 02:42 PM
Imperial Majesty

Hello, BillW65, and welcome!

You might want to have a look at these threads, where this has been discussed recently:

Will Charles Ever Reign? Part 3

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...ml?#post488075
Old 06-14-2007, 03:46 PM

I always rather liked the idea of him being Charles III. It goes along with the whole spirit that inspired the Queen to name her first two Charles and Anne in the first place -- it revives the Stuart names, shows her very well-known pro-Scottish sentiments, after all the Queen is half-Scottish.
No matter what Charles and Charles II did won't reflect on Charles III. It was centuries ago that Charles I lambasted (sp?) Parliament for having the audacity to put him on trial, and almost as long when Charles II had like a gazillion mistresses! They won't ruin anything for Charles III. It's a good name and I think it sounds awesome, very regal and dignified.
I would be happy, of course, if he did go with George VII, and happier if he went with King Philip, though some might not like that so much considering the King Philip who married Queen Mary of the House of Tudor; he wasn't any nicer than the Charles'es in the Stuart house, was he? I guess you could point to many villains in history who bore the names Charles, Philip, and George..... kind of hard getting around that.....
I think Harry has the best one of all, though. He'd be King Henry IX, the first King Henry after the notorious polygamist, how cool is that?
Old 06-14-2007, 03:58 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasiraghiTrio
I always rather liked the idea of him being Charles III. It goes along with the whole spirit that inspired the Queen to name her first two Charles and Anne in the first place -- it revives the Stuart names, shows her very well-known pro-Scottish sentiments, after all the Queen is half-Scottish.
No matter what Charles and Charles II did won't reflect on Charles III. It was centuries ago that Charles I lambasted (sp?) Parliament for having the audacity to put him on trial, and almost as long when Charles II had like a gazillion mistresses! They won't ruin anything for Charles III. It's a good name and I think it sounds awesome, very regal and dignified.
I would be happy, of course, if he did go with George VII, and happier if he went with King Philip, though some might not like that so much considering the King Philip who married Queen Mary of the House of Tudor; he wasn't any nicer than the Charles'es in the Stuart house, was he? I guess you could point to many villains in history who bore the names Charles, Philip, and George..... kind of hard getting around that.....
I think Harry has the best one of all, though. He'd be King Henry IX, the first King Henry after the notorious polygamist, how cool is that?
OT, but why did the Queen name him Charles in the first place? Why not another George, or Edward? Was she up to date with English history at that time? I can't remember whether she was or not.
Old 06-14-2007, 04:18 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by acdc1
Was she up to date with English history at that time?
LOL, yes, very very very much so.
Old 06-14-2007, 05:04 PM
Heir Apparent

I think it rediculous if he doesn't wish to be known as Charles III
Old 06-14-2007, 06:11 PM
Courtier

I recently read a semi-scholarly book 'Elizabeth and Philip' (properly referenced and indexed) which was light on scuttlebutt, which I found refreshing.

In this book, the authors claim that when asked about her choice of name, the Princess answered that 'Charles was simply her favourite name', though they suggest that it may well have been an attempt to consolidate Scottish links as did the title 'Duke of Edinburgh' by referring back directly to the Stuart line and by de-emphasizing, yet again, the German line, since the Georges were Hanoverian.

I've often read that Charles will be known as King George VII when he assumes the throne. There is nothing unusual in this, if so, though personally, I prefer King Charles III
Old 06-14-2007, 09:40 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale
I think it rediculous if he doesn't wish to be known as Charles III
My observation is, every monarch since William IV (exceptions being George V and Elizabeth II) have either changed thier names or contemplated it.

1. William IV wanted to go by his second name, Henry, and become Henry IX until it was pointed out that the last Stuart pretender was known by that name.

2. Queen Victoria, christened Alexandrina Victoria and proclaimed under that name, dropped her first name.

3. Her son, Edward VII, was known as Albert Edward as Prince of Wales.

4. Albert Victor, duke of Clarence, was known as Eddy in the family. I presume he would have been known as Edward if he lived to be king.

5. Edward VIII was officially given the name Edward at birth but went by the name of David in the family.

6. George VI's first name was Albert.

But I know all of you knew this any way. :)

If Charles keeps his name when he becomes king I won't be dissapointed. Nor would I be if he becomes George VII.
Old 06-14-2007, 10:10 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
If Charles keeps his name when he becomes king I won't be dissapointed. Nor would I be if he becomes George VII.
I would be. It's his name, the name his parents gave him. There is simply no need to use any name other than his own christian name.

And I personally think Charles III sounds much better than George VII.
Old 06-14-2007, 10:25 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Even though George Harrison is my favorite Beatle, I much prefer a King Charles to a King George.
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 06-14-2007, 10:36 PM

Quote:
My observation is, every monarch since William IV (exceptions being George V and Elizabeth II) have either changed thier names or contemplated it.

1. William IV wanted to go by his second name, Henry, and become Henry IX until it was pointed out that the last Stuart pretender was known by that name.

2. Queen Victoria, christened Alexandrina Victoria and proclaimed under that name, dropped her first name.

3. Her son, Edward VII, was known as Albert Edward as Prince of Wales.

4. Albert Victor, duke of Clarence, was known as Eddy in the family. I presume he would have been known as Edward if he lived to be king.

5. Edward VIII was officially given the name Edward at birth but went by the name of David in the family.

6. George VI's first name was Albert.

But I know all of you knew this any way. :)

Well, I knew most of it (didn't know about William IV wanting to be a King Henry) but it was still fun to read! It's a very interesting idea, Charles using one of his middle names, one that I never thought of before now. I really like the name Charles and always thought Charles III sounds divine, and "Charles and Camilla" just goes so well together. I can imagine their cypher just now, the interlaced C's, so beautiful. "George and Camilla" just doesn't have the same ring.
Old 06-14-2007, 10:41 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

I think taking a different name was more normal when royals weren't referred to by their Christian names unless they were King. Edward was known as David to his family but to the public he was known for most of his life as the Prince of Wales. Likewise George VI was known for most of his life before he was King as the Duke of York. If you're not know by the name your family calls you, its a lot easier to switch a name.

I think Charles would have a hard time switching to George.
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 06-14-2007, 10:51 PM
Gentry

I know that the Prince of Wales can use anyone of his 4 names when he becomes King but I guess I always assumed he would stick with Charles. His full name is Charles Philip Arthur George and I could see him picking Charles III or George VII. Charles III simply because it is his first name. George VII as a throw back to his grandfather. Personally, I think the UK needs a King Arthur. That would be so cool but really corny.
Old 06-15-2007, 05:21 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalKnottie
I know that the Prince of Wales can use anyone of his 4 names when he becomes King but I guess I always assumed he would stick with Charles. His full name is Charles Philip Arthur George and I could see him picking Charles III or George VII. Charles III simply because it is his first name. George VII as a throw back to his grandfather. Personally, I think the UK needs a King Arthur. That would be so cool but really corny.
I love the idea, but it would be a brave, brave man who would choose to be known as King Arthur in Charles' circumstances. Hasn't there already been enough controversy in his life?
Old 06-15-2007, 06:03 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasiraghiTrio
If you support the Jacobites then Harry would be Henry X as Bonnie Prince Charlies brother, Cardinal York was considered to be Henry IX. Considering that then perhaps Charles should be Charles IV?
Old 07-31-2007, 10:52 AM

Prince Charles- Future king?

Hello everyone- I am very new- first post here. I just wanted to say hi to all and say how ADDICTING this forum is.
I have a question regarding Prince Charles and his eligibility to become king. I understand that with Diana deceased he was able to marry Camilla- but isn't it "against the rules" to become King if you marry a divorced woman? I thought this was why King Edward abdicated the throne. I would like your insights to this question- Thanks
Old 07-31-2007, 10:57 AM

No, that's not quite correct. After all, look at Henry VIII who was a divorcee himself several times over and still held the throne. Edward VIII was not barred from marrying Mrs Simpson because she was divorced, this was made a scapegoat reason. The real reason was that there were concerns over her personality, nationality and religious belief. She was also a handy way of shipping off a King who was causing the Government and the Church many sleepless nights. There's nothing that bars a man married to a divorced woman becoming King.

Tags
prince charles, prince of wales