The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 12:06 PM

Quote:
She choose not to wait for him and risk becoming an old maid
And you know Camilla and she's told you this has she? These comments just seem to get wheeled out as if they were fact to be taken as gospel when in fact, nobody knows what really happened or what they really felt, thought or wanted. Let's just accept the public side of it and move on.

As to Camilla not living to see Charles becoming King - God you lot can be doom-mongers.

Old 06-06-2007, 01:00 PM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan
As to Camilla not living to see Charles becoming King - God you lot can be doom-mongers.
Well, it's as much possible as the Queen will exceed her mother's age. Who knows? Camilla has been a smoker for many years and both her parents are already dead (although her dad was quite old) while we don't have to discuss the toughness of the Windsor genes.
However, it's not the way it's supposed to be but given the history of this family it's not an impossibility either. We are speculating all the time - why not on this issue

Old 06-06-2007, 02:46 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade
We are speculating all the time - why not on this issue
Okay, you can speculate, why not?
But if some post in this threat can´t tell apart speculation from the truth or has the only wish to paint a bad pic of the Prince or the Duchess, i think it is okay too to contradict.
I agree with BeatrixFan!
Old 06-06-2007, 02:51 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade
We are speculating all the time - why not on this issue
Because it touches a taboo for many people - me included. I think it is utterly tasteless to speculate on the death of a person out of the reason that you don't want him/her to reach a social position you don't want them to inhabit. I have no problems with speculations about genes etc. But the fact that those who oppose Camilla seems to glee with joy on thinking about her potential early demise before she can claim the title she would be entitled to as Charles's wife in case he becomes king does in fact bother me very much. It's not only unpolite, it's inhuman: there is finally a couple who loves each other and share their live. Shouldn't we all wish them well?
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 06-06-2007, 03:02 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo of Palatine
Because it touches a taboo for many people - me included. I think it is utterly tasteless to speculate on the death of a person out of the reason that you don't want him/her to reach a social position you don't want them to inhabit. I have no problems with speculations about genes etc. But the fact that those who oppose Camilla seems to glee with joy on thinking about her potential early demise before she can claim the title she would be entitled to as Charles's wife in case he becomes king does in fact bother me very much. It's not only unpolite, it's inhuman: there is finally a couple who loves each other and share their live. Shouldn't we all wish them well?
Very well said Jo, thank you!
Old 06-06-2007, 03:14 PM
Heir Presumptive

Of course we wish them well! But they parties are the age that the parties are. If she's 60 and he doesnt inherit for 25 years..do the math. How old were Mr and Mrs Shand when they died? Were they smokers does anyone know?
Old 06-06-2007, 04:00 PM

Quote:
But the fact that those who oppose Camilla seems to glee with joy on thinking about her potential early demise before she can claim the title she would be entitled to as Charles's wife in case he becomes king does in fact bother me very much
That's the impression I get from these discussions. And it annoys me.
Old 06-06-2007, 04:18 PM
Imperial Majesty

I think everybody needs to have a bit of tolerance for people with other views on this topic. There's no point having a discussion on whether Charles will be King unless we acknowledge the fact that the Queen isn't immortal. However, it's quite unnecessary for people to be salivating with anticipation of Charles predeceasing his mother or Camilla predeceasing both of them in order that Diana might somehow be posthumously vindicated; it's equally unnecessary for people to be gleefully anticipating Charles's accession and Camilla's coronation as a way to stick it to the Diana fans. As long as people show some consideration for the opinions and feelings of others, we should be fine.
Old 06-06-2007, 04:28 PM
Heir Presumptive

Location: Between the first and second floor of the Eiffel Tower, France
Charles could be a really good King. He seems to be nice to everyone he meets. Perhaps he could impose himself, sometimes he looks transparent, too shy. Although I'm sure he would do fine!

Please, help find a cure for ALS

Because it matters...
Old 06-06-2007, 04:44 PM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo of Palatine
Wow, this is a harsh response ... I did not say at all that I don't wish them well or that I don't want Camilla to be Queen and some other awful things that are suggested here. This was not my intention at all. If everything goes after plan, Charles will be King and Camilla will be Queen, no question about that and this is the way it's supposed to be. But if QEII goes on and on and on for many more years - which has become kind of a running gag as people cannot imagine that she will be gone some day - it could well be that she even outlives her own son and daughter in law. That's not a nasty remark but a fact - and I am far from wishing that this should happen.

I am not too often on the British threads so I am a bit surprised about this reaction. Seems that Camilla is being attacked here very often for whatever reasons given that a simple remark is provoking such a reaction. Well, I don't belong to the group of people who either love her or hate her - for me Camilla is simply Charles's wife and the future Queen consort. In fact I am happy for them that they were able to make their commitment towards each other at that quite late stage of their lifes and IMO they are looking one of the most comfortable couples in the royal circle.

I hope I made myself clear now ... and I hope the discussion can go ahead a bit more cooled down
Old 06-06-2007, 08:58 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter
Of course we wish them well! But they parties are the age that the parties are. If she's 60 and he doesnt inherit for 25 years..do the math. How old were Mr and Mrs Shand when they died? Were they smokers does anyone know?
Camilla's mother died at 72 and her father died at 89 I believe. And Camilla's maternal grandmother died at 86 and her great autie(on her mother's side) died at 76 and Alice Keppel died at 80.I have no information about Major's forebears.
I wish Prince Charles and Camilla well. We only sepculate whether they would be king and queen or not. I think Charles and Camilla are a lovely couple and he will be a good king with the woman he loves by his side.
Old 06-06-2007, 09:46 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Duke of Marmalade, its not only Charles and Camilla, some members got upset when other members started a thread to predict who of the current crown princes was going to be the next king.

Some people are squeamish about predicting someone's death while others are sqeamish about criticizing the dead.

As long as it is done with a bit of civility, the forum doesn't have a problem with either. Monarchy by nature is hereditary so the only way many monarchs ascend the throne is the unhappy death of a parent or close relative. And because of the historical nature of some previous royals, if we couldn't criticize royals that have died, discussions in the forums would dry quite up.

I hope you don't let the reaction dissuade you, royalwatchers are a passionate group sometimes. :)
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 06-06-2007, 10:11 PM
Heir Presumptive

No one knows what tomorrow will bring. But it certainly is reasonable to assume Charles will not have a long reign, given his mother's good health and the fact his grandmother lived to be 101.
Old 06-06-2007, 10:29 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel
Duke of Marmalade, its not only Charles and Camilla, some members got upset when other members started a thread to predict who of the current crown princes was going to be the next king.

Some people are squeamish about predicting someone's death while others are sqeamish about criticizing the dead.

As long as it is done with a bit of civility, the forum doesn't have a problem with either. Monarchy by nature is hereditary so the only way many monarchs ascend the throne is the unhappy death of a parent or close relative. And because of the historical nature of some previous royals, if we couldn't criticize royals that have died, discussions in the forums would dry quite up.

I hope you don't let the reaction dissuade you, royalwatchers are a passionate group sometimes. :)
I'm not trying to suggest glee at anyone's passing. I just dont understand how one can have a whole thread dedicated to will Charles ever rule, if we're not going to take into consideration when QE is likely to die. I mean...how else is he going to inherit?
Old 06-06-2007, 10:41 PM
Imperial Majesty

Scooter, I know you aren't suggesting glee; however, in the past some posters have done so, and it's made other posters sensitive to possible subtext on this issue, as you can see. We've had to deal with "Camilla deserves to die because she's evil" and "there are reports that she has cancer, I hope she dies of it soon" and "I hope Charles dies soon so William can be the next king" and "Diana deserved everything she got" and other equally callous comments - some of which were vicious enough to be removed from the threads they were posted in, but of course were read by other people beforehand.

As long as people are careful about how they word their posts in this thread, it's fine to talk about the royals dying. As you said, given that the Queen is very unlikely to abdicate, Charles won't become King until she dies; however, given that Charles was born when the Queen was in her early 20s and the Windsor women tend to have longer lifespans than the Windsor men, the chances that she'll outlive him are not trivial.
Old 06-06-2007, 10:49 PM
Heir Presumptive

Thank you, Elspeth. This was exactly my thought!
Old 06-07-2007, 04:28 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel
No way Thanks for your response ysbel!
Old 06-09-2007, 11:06 PM
Courtier

I don't know if there is a thread discussing this, but there is talk on the Aussie news today about the people's reaction to Camilla becoming Queen. According to the polls a majority of 'Brit's' are against her ever becoming Queen. From the British forum members points of view, is this the case or is the media on another bandwagon?
Old 06-10-2007, 12:01 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisscross1
I don't know if there is a thread discussing this, but there is talk on the Aussie news today about the people's reaction to Camilla becoming Queen. According to the polls a majority of 'Brit's' are against her ever becoming Queen. From the British forum members points of view, is this the case or is the media on another bandwagon?
The poll you are talking about was conducted by a very trashy (and I mean very trashy) tabloid, 99% of which readers are fanatical Diana-fans (no disrespect to anyone meant).
The newspaper certainly is not worth paying much attention to it.

The majority of polls conducted by more serious and reliable newspapers show that British public is warming up to Camilla and many view the fact she will become Queen favorably.
Queen Elizabeth: "I cannot lead you into battle, I do not give you laws or administer justice but I can do something else, I can give you my heart and my devotion to these old islands and to all the peoples of our brotherhood of nations." God, Save The Queen!
Old 06-14-2007, 01:36 PM
Commoner

Prince Charles changing his name?

I have read of a rumor, from many sources, that there is a possibility of The Prince of Wales adopting a different name upon his accession to the throne. One of the possibilities I have heard was George VII.

any one else heard of this? What are your thoughts? I personally doubt that it will happen, however, is not with out precedence within the Royal Family.

Closed Thread

Tags
prince charles, prince of wales