The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 11:49 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbenson
Only indirectly. He abdicated because of the issue, which is why he was never crowned. The coronation of Edward VIII was scheduled for May 1937. When George VI became King, he decided to keep the same date for himself.
Well, it was sort of because of it. I mean, he wanted the question settled before his coronation, partly because he wanted Wallis crowned with him and partly because, apparently, he felt it would be unethical to go through this deeply religious ceremony, which involves taking vows which are supposed to last for life, with the possibility of abdication still hanging over his head.

Old 06-04-2007, 12:20 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter
My point was, that this was an immovable sticking point with the Church of England re: the coronation of the last PoW leading to Edward VII becoming Duke of Windsor ie,the marriage to a divorcee. The fact that the Sovereign is also the Head of the Church, etc. Although I bevieve that (correct me if i'm wrong) if the DoC's previous husband is deceased, she would be in the same position as the PoW is presently...considered a widow by the church. Start the conspiracy engines now!
Edward VIII abdicated because the Government would not accept Wallis as his wife, even a morganatic wife with no official status. Even today, a twice-divorced woman with a reputation for being greedy and promiscious would hardly be accepted as Queen Consort.

Camilla is divorced and Charles is considered to be a widower in the eyes of The Church. If Diana had lived, he never would have been able to remarry period.

Old 06-04-2007, 12:25 AM
Royal Highness

Location: Up the street,hang a left,3rd house from the corner, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by branchg
...Camilla is divorced and Charles is considered to be a widower in the eyes of The Church. If Diana had lived, he never would have been able to remarry period.
Really? Never remarry and become king or just never remarry at all?
Old 06-04-2007, 12:41 AM
Imperial Majesty

He wouldn't have been able to marry Camilla in the church, but he wasn't able to anyway. There's no legal reason why he and Camilla couldn't have married; it's possible that public opinion would have been so negative that it wouldn't have been considered wise.
Old 06-04-2007, 12:46 AM
Courtier

Quote:

Camilla is divorced and Charles is considered to be a widower in the eyes of The Church. If Diana had lived, he never would have been able to remarry period.
I thought the Church has changed the rules to allow the divoursee to remarry even the other spouse is still alive after 2001 (or some later years). Perhaps I am wrong because I am not familar about these religious matters.
Old 06-04-2007, 12:50 AM
Royal Highness

The way things were going between Charles and Diana after the divorce was would've work to his favor. They were more than just civil. If she was still living and they remained "friends", had Charles waited let's say 10 years after the divorce to marry Camilla I would say there wouldn't have been much uproar. As long as Camilla's coming out was paced just right which in reality it was.
Old 06-04-2007, 01:20 AM
Courtier

I disagree. Constitutional authorities argued about the legality of Charles' and Camilla's civil marriage, and some still do.
Old 06-04-2007, 01:50 AM
Imperial Majesty

Cripes, Kerry; remind me never to ask you a question, what with that signature of yours and all.
Old 06-04-2007, 02:09 AM
Royal Highness
TRF Author

I hope Prince Charles would reign! Why not? He seems to be a nice guy to me. A man who wait soo many years to marry his true love when he was forced to marry a person who he doesn't love and who wasn't so different than him...He is intelligent, he is sensitive, loves country side rather than cities, he likes to read , he appreciates art and loves his homeland...Maybe Duchess of Cornwall must not to be Queen, but I don't see any problem to him to become a king.

I rather like Prince Charles as a King, than that he abdicates in favor of Prince William.

Vanesa.
Old 06-04-2007, 02:38 AM
Gentry

I think that, when Charles reigns, his reign will be quite short, for a modern monarch, so Charles abdicating, after being crowned, in favour of William is not a realistic possibility. I also think that he is caring enough of a father that he would want to delay William becoming king, and all the pressures that follow it, for as long as possible.

Her majesty is 81, and I think, considering how long her mother lived and her good health now, she will live for at least another 15-20 years. I don't think she will ever abdicate, she is deeply religious and took a vow in front of God which she honours highly, so I think Charles won't become King until he is in his 70s. He'll also probably reign until his late 90s, and William will become King in his 60s.
Old 06-04-2007, 07:34 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polly
I disagree. Constitutional authorities argued about the legality of Charles' and Camilla's civil marriage, and some still do.
But they are in fact married. Futhermore, its all speculation since Diana is gone. Another story all together. Constitutional authories must accept that times are changing.
Old 06-04-2007, 07:38 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth
Cripes, Kerry; remind me never to ask you a question, what with that signature of yours and all.
Elspeth,
Just wanted something catchy! Glad you like it!
Old 06-04-2007, 08:49 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth
He wouldn't have been able to marry Camilla in the church, but he wasn't able to anyway. There's no legal reason why he and Camilla couldn't have married; it's possible that public opinion would have been so negative that it wouldn't have been considered wise.
Well, he was able to have an official blessing for the marriage from the Archbishiop of Canterbury, which is no small thing, considering the circumstances of who he was marrying.

Legally, of course, you are correct. But given that Charles had declared at the time of the divorce that he would not remarry, I think it would have been very difficult for the Government and The Queen to consent if Diana was still with us.
Old 06-04-2007, 08:51 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerry
The way things were going between Charles and Diana after the divorce was would've work to his favor. They were more than just civil. If she was still living and they remained "friends", had Charles waited let's say 10 years after the divorce to marry Camilla I would say there wouldn't have been much uproar. As long as Camilla's coming out was paced just right which in reality it was.
This is true, especially if Diana herself had remarried and had additional children, which was very likely.
Old 06-04-2007, 09:30 AM
Heir Presumptive

Given Charles and Camilla's respective ages, this may all be a moot point. While Charles' family has 100+ life expectancy, I'm not sure what Camilla's family has. If, for example, her mother only lived to be 65, she might not be around 20 years from now at coronation time. I'm sure one of you could tell us how old her parents were when they died,assuming that they have? If she does predecease the coonation, then Charles is a widower in the eyes of the church full stop.
Old 06-04-2007, 10:01 AM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Well as long as we're predicting something we can't possibly know for sure, if the movement to separate the Church of England from the government is successful, it doesn't really matter if the Church sanctions the marriage of Charles and Camilla or not.

I believe the Church did sanction the marriage, however, although they did it in a strange way.

Also scooter brought up a good point about life expectancy. Just because your family has long life expectancy doesn't mean you are necessarily going to live a long life yourself.

The Queen Mother lived to be 100 but she was in semi-retirement for half her life which was far less stressful than the duties of a monarch or a consort. That's no guarantee that the Queen who has been sovereign since the tender age of 25 will enjoy the same long lifespan.

The worst case scenario would be if Charles outlived both his mother and his son. This could happen if William faced an untimely death at a young age like his father's cousin, Prince William of Gloucester, who died in a plane crash at the age of 30 or so. I remember reading that the death of the young Prince William of Gloucester devastated his father and hastened his death.
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 06-04-2007, 12:22 PM
Imperial Majesty

Well, the old Duke of Gloucester was already in a very bad way even before Prince William died; I'm pretty sure that if he'd been King, some sort of at least semiformal regency would have alreaady been in place. But I agree that having a child die, especially as a young adult, must be devastating for a parent. Even though Princess Alice lived for several more decades, all reports are that she was never quite the same again after her son's death.
Old 06-04-2007, 01:29 PM
Courtier

Quote:
But given that Charles had declared at the time of the divorce that he would not remarry,
"delcared"? "would not"?

What form did this declaration take? What were his exact words?
Old 06-04-2007, 01:38 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by selrahc4
"delcared"? "would not"?

What form did this declaration take? What were his exact words?
There was no declaration. It was this usual "good friend" or "an aid"-story.
Old 06-06-2007, 03:16 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanesa
A man who wait soo many years to marry his true love when he was forced to marry a person who he doesn't love and who wasn't so different than him....
I don't think it happened like that. She choose not to wait for him and risk becoming an old maid. Plus I think there were concerns about her sexual history. These were different times back then. He was not "forced" to marry Diana. He was strongly encouraged to marry someone "appropriate" (ie of respectible lineage, a virgin, etc.) and chose Diana. I think he put minimal effort into the marriage to ensure there were heirs, but he clearly never gave up Camilla.

Interesting point made about Camilla possibly not living to see Charles' coronation. I hadn't considered that. Of course being in the US, I don't know what the political climate in the UK is like. This talk of seperating the Church of England from the Government is interesting.

Closed Thread

Tags
prince charles, prince of wales