The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 08:07 AM
Administrator

Rather than endlessly regurgitating the "Charles can't be King because Diana's dead" subtext in this thread (now well into part 3), we really need to move along.

thanks,
Warren
British Forums moderator

Old 06-03-2007, 08:33 AM
Heir Presumptive

If Charles is alive when QEII dies there are only two things that I could see from stopping Him becoming king. 1. Given how old the Quen Mother lived to be, if QEII lives to be 100ish Charles would be 75-80. If he had some bad health issue (didnt his grandfather die of cancer at a realitively young age?). or 2. if the Church of England gets sticky on the issue of his being married to a divorcee and refuses to do the ceremony. Frankly I think it could go either way with this one. They wouldnt do the wedding ceremony in the church remember? Although the present Archbishop of Canterbury is quite elderly himself at this point, there may well be a younger person in that post when the time comes,who might be more flexible. I dont think Charles' divorce comes into play as the previous spouse is deceased.

Old 06-03-2007, 08:37 AM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Well being an example to the rest of the country will get in the way of the royals appearing more human and like us. People have to decide what they want.

Her Majesty is an example to look up to but that is because she's old and her values are the values of another generation which all of us have lost, not only Charles. But even the Queen was criticized for being cold and uncaring at times.

The Queen believes is accepting what you are given in life whether you like it or not and doing your job in the same impeccable manner no matter the circumstances.

In this democratic society where self-fulfillment and personal happiness is considered more important than loyalty to others, the Queen's notion of gritting your teeth and accepting what life throws at you would be highly unacceptable to people of later generations no matter their background. I greatly admire the Queen but I would not want to live her life.

By necessity, whoever succeeds her as monarch will bring different values simply because their generation's values will be different from hers.
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 06-03-2007, 08:38 AM
Royal Highness

Location: Up the street,hang a left,3rd house from the corner, United States
Charles is also a divorcee so where is the issue in that? So is the Princess Royal. I don't think that divorce is an issue anymore since times have changed.

Did King George VI have lung cancer? He was a smoker.
Old 06-03-2007, 09:48 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade
Yes, you are right. But it seems he doesn't keep in mind that he will need the favour of the press to a certain degree. I know the british press is one of worst around but I feel that he or whoever is advising him could do better in dealing with the media. These days it's a complete desaster - not only his matters but the matters of his sons too. I liked William a lot but all we see of him now is drinking all night in pubs. As Clarence House is involved here I think it's another example that the handling of media issues needs some improvement, not only for William's sake but for Charles's sake too.
The media issue. Are there any avenues where the monarchy is favorably painted? Or should I say Clarence House? Is there at least one reputable media oulet that's pro Charles?

My thought process is that here in the States for example, Fox News is pro-republican no matter the issue and MSNBC is the same but pro-democrat while CNN just tells it like it is no matter the party affiliation. ( I am saying this only as a comparison and not for political discussion.)

He will need positive media as king but I think it has to start now.
Old 06-03-2007, 09:53 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon
He shouldn't have to take the media into account at all, that is a legacy from his ex. The moment we all expect him or anyone else to live by the media, we might as well all give up.

It is worth bearing in mind the behavior of the majority of media employee's is far from exemplary.
I would agree if there was an ideal world. Living by the media is one extrem, at the moment Charles is practicing the other extrem, ignoring them and blaming them for everything that goes wrong. He should find a balance here, very helpful for his future role. Media makes a lot of public opinion, remember?

Another good example is the interview that the princes did on the occasion of the anniversary of Diana's dead (will be shown on TV in due course). As an interviewer they chose some girlie DJ instead of a well respected journalist. If the princes want to be taken seriously, they should begin to act seriously.
Old 06-03-2007, 09:54 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerry
He will need positive media as king but I think it has to start now.
Thanks, I agree 100 % !!!
Old 06-03-2007, 09:57 AM

The media of today is not the media of yesterday. It will always find fault and it will always resort to the gutter. Charles doesn't need that, he needs the love and respect of his subjects and I am in doubt that he will have that.
Old 06-03-2007, 10:03 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan
The media of today is not the media of yesterday. It will always find fault and it will always resort to the gutter. Charles doesn't need that, he needs the love and respect of his subjects and I am in doubt that he will have that.
The RF have already underestimated the power of the media once, almost 10 years ago, and it was a fatal mistake. It showed how far this family was away from the public opinion and did a lot of damage to the monarchy. Charles should better think twice before he underestimates the media once again.
Old 06-03-2007, 10:10 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
I would agree if there was an ideal world. Living by the media is one extrem, at the moment Charles is practicing the other extrem, ignoring them and blaming them for everything that goes wrong. He should find a balance here, very helpful for his future role. Media makes a lot of public opinion, remember?
True, but as we are seeing in the UK, the press and the celebrity culture is losing it's hold, people are waking up to the fact that they have been led by the media for too long. Todays youngsters seem more aware that what the media shows them may have been slanted to show what the editor's want and most seem more prepared to listen to both sides.

Great post ysbel!
Old 06-03-2007, 10:27 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
The RF have already underestimated the power of the media once, almost 10 years ago, and it was a fatal mistake. It showed how far this family was away from the public opinion and did a lot of damage to the monarchy. Charles should better think twice before he underestimates the media once again.
The voice of the media is not always the same as the public opinion.
Many people are bright enough to seperate gossip and rumours from the truth when they consume the media.
So it is not only a question of the media if Charles will be a successful and popular King.
I thing he goes the right way and the people will honor it more and more.
The media has some influence but is fortunately not the only power to force or to stop it.
Old 06-03-2007, 10:28 AM

Quote:
The public are more aware of the media now than they were then. It didn't show the family to be out of date and it didn't do damage to the monarchy at all, that's a gross overstatement and I won't even get into what actually caused the damage. As for Charles thinking twice, the first time it didn't happen on his watch. It was for the Queen to estimate or underestimate the media and how her family responded to it. The media treatment really isn't that different, nor is the relationship with the Royal Family.
Old 06-03-2007, 10:29 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon
True, but as we are seeing in the UK, the press and the celebrity culture is losing it's hold, people are waking up to the fact that they have been led by the media for too long. Todays youngsters seem more aware that what the media shows them may have been slanted to show what the editor's want and most seem more prepared to listen to both sides.

Great post ysbel!
If that's the case then seems to me that the media needs to change their strategy and embrace the monarchy. Charles could definitely use that.
Old 06-03-2007, 10:41 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
As for Charles thinking twice, the first time it didn't happen on his watch. It was for the Queen to estimate or underestimate the media and how her family responded to it.
Correct. But he is part of this family and was the person most involved in the issue as he was the estranged husband and father of the two sons.
So either he saw it the same way the Queen did or he was too weak to fight through his own opinion.
Either way, doesn't make Charles look good - considering the way he's dealing with the media today I go for the option that he saw it the same way the Queen did. Seems he's still waiting for his wake up call but I am sure it will come through to him some day.
Old 06-03-2007, 10:50 AM

They were all involved as the criticism was launched at all of them. If you were Royal, you could be blamed - that's how the media played it. And as for being too weak, are you seriously suggesting he should have disobeyed his own mother who just happens to be the Queen also? Have you not even considered that the Queen knows best and Charles does what she advises him to do because she's reigned over us for 54 years and knows us better than we know ourselves? I don't know what you're on about with this wake up call business but I think you'll find that he's been the best Prince of Wales Britain has ever had and that his popularity is going up and up all the time as a result of the new Charles we've seen since the Duchess came on the scene. It's time to stop living in the past or in the land of dreams. Charles will be King soon, he's popular, he'll be a good King and as he said himself, "Down with the media".
Old 06-03-2007, 10:53 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by branchg
Her Majesty Queen Camilla. Anything else would require an Act of Parliament, which isn't likely to happen.
Some asked what would be Camilla title when Charles becomes King. My question is can Camilla chose a different name? I understand that Charles can chose another name when he becomes king, can Camilla do the same????
Old 06-03-2007, 11:08 AM

Well, theoretically I suppose she can. After all, Queen Mary wasn't called Mary, she was Victoria. Maybe Camilla would go with Queen Mary giving us George and Mary again.
Old 06-03-2007, 11:36 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
...Charles will be King soon, he's popular, he'll be a good King and as he said himself, "Down with the media".
The media has to know that things will change and are changing. Charles' image has improved. Kudos to Camilla! But do you think the media will sink further into their dismal abyss or play a more positive roll. I know no one has a crystal ball but I want to know what you think. Or will will Charles as King shun the media?
Old 06-03-2007, 11:38 AM

I imagine he'll be a little more open and I think we'll see more direct television interviews with him as King but I think he'll shun the gutter press and certainly the tabloids.
Old 06-03-2007, 11:50 AM
Royal Highness

That will be good for him. I definitely agree with your assertion with the "gutter press" and tabloids.

Tags
prince charles, prince of wales