The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-07-2005, 09:09 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntie
I read in the past, in a forum about King Edward VIII that the main reason the parliament made him abdicate was because he was unfit to be King, and they used the Simpson affair as an excuse. Apparently, it was before WWII and top secret documents were being read by Wallis, it was discovered by a minister, who spoke to wallis at a dinner and he understood it from her conversation. I also think that it was due to the fact that he was pro German!
This is untrue. Edward abdicated because Parliament and the Dominions refused to pass legislation allowing Wallis to assume a style and title other than Queen upon marriage to the King. He did not need anyone's approval to marry because he was the Sovereign. However, given the opposition of the Government, the Church and the majority of his subjects, Edward recognized abdication was the only way out.

Old 12-07-2005, 10:46 AM
Imperial Majesty

Yes, but I think what auntie is saying is that the government was intrasigent over the Wallis question because they (and senior members of the Household and Church) wanted rid of him anyway.

Old 12-07-2005, 05:17 PM
Heir Presumptive

I dont believe Edward wanted to be King and neither did the Church and Goverment. It was a different time back then. Europe was on the path to war and Edward was a German sympothiser and didnt care much for the state documents. Also, the church at the time would not have sactioned their marriage and the church had big time power back then. I didnt know Edward stole the Prince George, Prince of Wales crown when he was exiled to France. It was only returened after his death. It is illegal to take the crown jewels out of the country but they didnt charge him because he was a prince. They say William might use that crown when Charles invests him as Prince of Wales.
Old 12-08-2005, 05:25 PM
Heir Presumptive

The Prince of Wales crown is not a "crown jewel" and never has been. It is a personal item commissioned by the Sovereign for the ceremony.

The only Crown Jewels are the Imperial State Crown, the Crowns of the Queen Consorts, the Orb and Sceptor, and other coronation items. These are not allowed to be removed from the UK as symbols of the State.
Old 12-08-2005, 05:34 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princejonnhy25
I dont believe Edward wanted to be King and neither did the Church and Goverment. It was a different time back then. Europe was on the path to war and Edward was a German sympothiser and didnt care much for the state documents. Also, the church at the time would not have sactioned their marriage and the church had big time power back then.
The Abdication had nothing to do with the coming war or the Duke's German heritage. It was a moral question of a King marrying a twice-divorced commoner with a highly questionable reputation, something that was incredibly shocking to people at that time. There was no acceptance of divorce and Wallis would have a hard time marrying a member of the royal family even today.

The King knew from day one he would never be allowed to marry Wallis and was happy to reliniquish the throne for life ever after. He just didn't want to be the Sovereign and was very selfish.
Old 01-01-2006, 02:42 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by branchg
The Abdication had nothing to do with the coming war or the Duke's German heritage. It was a moral question of a King marrying a twice-divorced commoner with a highly questionable reputation, something that was incredibly shocking to people at that time. There was no acceptance of divorce and Wallis would have a hard time marrying a member of the royal family even today.

The King knew from day one he would never be allowed to marry Wallis and was happy to reliniquish the throne for life ever after. He just didn't want to be the Sovereign and was very selfish.
I don't think Wallis would have any problem marrying Edward today. The baggage of divorce is not as hard to overcome as adultery-which was not a problem in their relationship I don't think?? Or was Wallis still married when she and Edward began their relationship? Anyway I think Edward did the right thing by stepping aside when he was asked to. His brother George VI was a great King imo and I am happy he got a shot at the throne. Elizabeth would not have been Queen until the 1970's if Edward had stayed on (and not had children)-and what a great Queen she has been!
Old 01-01-2006, 02:44 PM

Wallis did indeed commit adultery - many many times. Not only with Edward whilst she was married to Ernest Simpson, but also with a young gay chap - I forget his name, when she was married to Edward. And she was twice divorced which wasn't exactly acceptable then - nor today I believe.
Old 01-01-2006, 04:18 PM
Serene Highness

A bit of interesting--I think--history from Wisconsin. Wallis, before her marriage, spent the summer in a lovely place called Door County in a home on the water. She was known for being lots of fun and my ex husband, whose great-grandfather went to a few of her parties said they were lots of fun, very relaxed, and Wallis was a real pleasure to be around with impeccable manners; there is still one from her posted/framed on the wall of their house "thanking him for such a lovely, thoughtful gift for the party!" It was merely a bottle of wine. She was a bit hit up here!

Back to the subject, I definitely see Charles--god willing, he remains in good health--becoming King. For all the things he didn't do "right" and are criticized--namely, his marriage to Diana--he's done so much good. He's been an excellent father, he risked his life to save another's during that avalanche years ago, he seems responsible and happy and content now, and I think he's a genuinely very kind, caring man. I like him and think he deserves to be King.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan
Wallis did indeed commit adultery - many many times. Not only with Edward whilst she was married to Ernest Simpson, but also with a young gay chap - I forget his name, when she was married to Edward. And she was twice divorced which wasn't exactly acceptable then - nor today I believe.
Old 01-01-2006, 04:37 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryshawn
Back to the subject, I definitely see Charles--god willing, he remains in good health--becoming King. For all the things he didn't do "right" and are criticized--namely, his marriage to Diana--he's done so much good. He's been an excellent father, he risked his life to save another's during that avalanche years ago, he seems responsible and happy and content now, and I think he's a genuinely very kind, caring man. I like him and think he deserves to be King.
Yes he is a warm caring man and has done a great deal of good for many people. He is patron to many charities and really takes an interest.
Now that he is married to the woman he loves, he is so happy and that is reflected in his dealings with everyone he meets or has dealings with.
I strongly believe that his marriage to Camilla has been the making of him and as a result will be a marvelous, beloved King.:)
Old 01-01-2006, 05:18 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryshawn
A bit of interesting--I think--history from Wisconsin. Wallis, before her marriage, spent the summer in a lovely place called Door County in a home on the water. She was known for being lots of fun and my ex husband, whose great-grandfather went to a few of her parties said they were lots of fun, very relaxed, and Wallis was a real pleasure to be around with impeccable manners; there is still one from her posted/framed on the wall of their house "thanking him for such a lovely, thoughtful gift for the party!" It was merely a bottle of wine. She was a bit hit up here!

Thank you for sharing that story about the late Duchess Of Windsor. That's an enchanting story! I've always liked her-I don't know why exactly. I have read that her husbands cheated on her. I don't remember anything about her having an affair while married to either of them but it's been years.

I like how Prince Charles called her Aunt Wallis. :) And just to clarify for anyone who reads this-I happen to like Prince Charles very much. I've always wanted him to be King. When I was little the Queen looked ancient to me so I assumed he'd be King by about now. Anyway, he seems a very nice man, though largely misunderstood and I have to say I feel for sorry for him. Will he ever Reign? I hope so but if he does it will be a very short Reign if her Majesty's ongoing good health is any indication. I get the feeling she will outlive at least one of her children and that one will be Charles imo. It's just that he seems to be aging everyday and his parents-are not! I think Anne will outlive her mother, and all of her siblings.
Old 01-01-2006, 05:24 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Mary I
Anyway, he seems a very nice man, though largely misunderstood and I have to say I feel for sorry for him. Will he ever Reign? I hope so but if he does it will be a very short Reign if her Majesty's ongoing good health is any indication. .
Charles and Camilla are already taking over some of the Queens duties, so she is perhaps not feeling as strong as she would like us to believe.
Old 01-01-2006, 05:26 PM

Well they have said that 2006 will be Charles's year as 'King-in-Waiting' taking over more and more of the Queen's duties. I really hope Camilla is made a Colonel-in-Chief of a regiment this year. If she wanted she could don a uniform and ride at Trooping the Colour.
Old 01-01-2006, 05:26 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon
Charles and Camilla are already taking over some of the Queens duties, so she is perhaps not feeling as strong as she would like us to believe.
She may be cutting down on duties-after all she's coming on eighty and has earned her rest-but just judging from her appearance in her Christmas speech-Her Majesty seems in as good health as ever. She certainly looks better than I feel at the moment!
Old 01-01-2006, 05:28 PM
Imperial Majesty

Well, even if she is, she's very nearly 80, which is an age when most people aren't in full-time work any more. By 80, her mother had been a perennial granny for at least a couple of decades, yet somehow we sort of expect the Queen to never really age.
Old 01-01-2006, 05:28 PM

I think that they've said that although she's in the best of health, she is 80, 20 years past legal retirement age. And Philip is 85. They deserve a good rest and I think thats why Charles and Camilla are taking over more of the Queen's duties.
Old 01-01-2006, 05:49 PM

I don't think the Royal Family get a pension do they?
Old 01-01-2006, 05:57 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
I don't think the Royal Family get a pension do they?
I should think they can live off of their investments. Somehow I don't see the Queen and Prince Philip managing on the state pension (isn't it around 100, for a married couple).
I'm sure Charles will see them right!:)
Old 01-01-2006, 05:58 PM

Well, Philip would get a war pension. So would Charles I imagine. Camilla would only get her state pension which I think is about £100. Charles might get £150.
Old 01-01-2006, 06:02 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Well, Philip would get a war pension. So would Charles I imagine. Camilla would only get her state pension which I think is about 100. Charles might get 150.
It would depend if it was means tested
Old 01-01-2006, 06:04 PM

Well they'll both automatically get a free bus pass. Everyone gets that regardless.

Tags
prince charles, prince of wales