The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-23-2005, 11:21 PM
Heir Presumptive

Eating Disorders are seriously misunderstood. I myself suffered from anorexia for nearly a year. I kept it to myself and people didnt understand it. It is an accumilation of things from growing up. I remember being teased as a little kid and it continued growing up until one day I stopped eating normaly. Eating disorders are a serious diseases that need to be taken seriously.

Old 11-23-2005, 11:23 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth
Or realising that public opinion was beginning to turn against her as being vindictive, and that if the royal family was to get the Duke's things and the Duchess's jewels back when she died, they were going to have to start treating her like a human.
Hmmmm... one of the many things we may never know

Cant wait for the Queen Mothers biography to come out!!

"MII"

Old 11-23-2005, 11:30 PM
Imperial Majesty

Well, the official biographies aren't unbiased. The authors are chosen by the monarch or other senior royal, special access to archives is granted, and the result tends to have to be acceptable to the royals calling the tune. You can be very sure that the Queen Mother's official biography was fairly carefully chosen to ensure that a particular product would be forthcoming. I think we're going to have to wait somewhat longer than the official biography for something which dares to seriously explore some of the less pleasant aspects of Her Majesty's personality - even assuming the archives hadn't been cherry-picked before they were made available to biographers, which may be quite an assumption.
Old 11-23-2005, 11:36 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Well, the official biographies aren't unbiased. The authors are chosen by the monarch or other senior royal, special access to archives is granted, and the result tends to have to be acceptable to the royals calling the tune. You can be very sure that the Queen Mother's official biography was fairly carefully chosen to ensure that a particular product would be forthcoming. I think we're going to have to wait somewhat longer than the official biography for something which dares to seriously explore some of the less pleasant aspects of Her Majesty's personality - even assuming the archives hadn't been cherry-picked before they were made available to biographers, which may be quite an assumption.
Hmmm... ok, maybe we will never find out

"MII"
Old 11-23-2005, 11:39 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Or realising that public opinion was beginning to turn against her as being vindictive, and that if the royal family was to get the Duke's things and the Duchess's jewels back when she died, they were going to have to start treating her like a human.
Well, considering how public opinion was ignored, I doubt the Queen Mother cared much about it. By the mid-60's, polls showed an overwhelming majority of Britons were in favor of the Duke and Duchess returning to the UK and the Duchess being granted the rank of Royal Highness. Some accounts have stated the Queen was ready to do it all, but her mother would not be moved.

Lord Mountbatten was the one most concerned about the Windsors' possessions, but failed in his campaign after the Duke's death. The Duchess was no fool and relied on Maitre Blum to take care of him.
Old 11-23-2005, 11:45 PM
Imperial Majesty

I wonder why the Queen was so in thrall to her mother that the Queen Mother's veto would stop her in her tracks in just about every matter other than purely constitutional ones. I know that's a matter for another thread, but it does seem to have been the Queen Mother's influence as much as anything that let Camilla be accepted as a mistress but not as a wife, so the rather awkward situation of Charles having a non-negotiable companion, but not marrying her, was allowed to continue for so long.

I think the Queen Mother was canny enough to know that being popular meant that she could get away with things that otherwise might have led to criticism and perhaps even action. She was living in great luxury at a time when far more frugal royals were being criticised left and right, yet breathing a word against her was simply Not Done except by the fringe nutters who reflexively ranted against everything the royals did.
Old 11-23-2005, 11:59 PM
Administrator in Memoriam

I think most of us are aware that the Queen Mother was not the Candy Floss Faery Queen that the PR gave us. There was a backbone of steel, a long memory, and "the eyes of blackness" or somesuch, as described by the Duchess of Windsor. Probably more of an Iron Lady than Margaret Thatcher (now, that would have been a match!). This just makes her more interesting and less one-dimensional.

While we may have to wait a lot longer for the finer details to emerge, we can be sure that the Queen Mother did more than waft around in chiffon, diamonds, and signature hats, all the while smiling sweetly. I wonder how many examples there are of people who underestimated her, to their cost?
Old 11-24-2005, 12:32 AM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
I wonder why the Queen was so in thrall to her mother that the Queen Mother's veto would stop her in her tracks in just about every matter other than purely constitutional ones. I know that's a matter for another thread, but it does seem to have been the Queen Mother's influence as much as anything that let Camilla be accepted as a mistress but not as a wife, so the rather awkward situation of Charles having a non-negotiable companion, but not marrying her, was allowed to continue for so long.

I think the Queen Mother was canny enough to know that being popular meant that she could get away with things that otherwise might have led to criticism and perhaps even action. She was living in great luxury at a time when far more frugal royals were being criticised left and right, yet breathing a word against her was simply Not Done except by the fringe nutters who reflexively ranted against everything the royals did.
I think by the time there was outright criticism of the royals, the Queen Mother was so old as to be offlimits. She was in her late eighties by the time Charles' and Diana's marriage was showing cracks.

The Queen's relationship with her mother must have been very complex. I always saw the Queen Mum, Elizabeth and Margaret as a tight threesome. Perhaps, because they were such a close family while King George was alive and had inured themselves against the Abdication Crisis and during WWII close bonds were probably formed for survival and I don't think husbands, sons, daughters, or in-laws could later break through them.
Old 11-24-2005, 06:52 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel
I think by the time there was outright criticism of the royals, the Queen Mother was so old as to be offlimits. She was in her late eighties by the time Charles' and Diana's marriage was showing cracks.

Actually, to be pedantic, as she was in her eighties when the marriage began she was of course in her 80s when the cracks started to appear.
Old 11-24-2005, 08:51 AM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissy57
Actually, to be pedantic, as she was in her eighties when the marriage began she was of course in her 80s when the cracks started to appear.
You are of course right chrissy. I was thinking of when the Royal Family started to really get criticized in the press and the press started to report on the cracks in the marriage in the late 80s. There were cracks in the marriage before but it took awhile for the press to pick up and turn on the Royal Family.
Old 11-24-2005, 10:11 AM
Serene Highness
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by corazon
AMEN very well said.
Thanks for your support, corazon! :)
Old 11-24-2005, 10:27 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
I wonder why the Queen was so in thrall to her mother that the Queen Mother's veto would stop her in her tracks in just about every matter other than purely constitutional ones..
Women, who are now in their 60's & 70's would not have dared to disobey their parents, it hard to understand for those who are from a much younger generation I think.
Old 11-24-2005, 01:25 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
I wonder why the Queen was so in thrall to her mother that the Queen Mother's veto would stop her in her tracks in just about every matter other than purely constitutional ones.
The Queen was very young when she came to the throne and her personality is such that she never would have upset her mother over family matters. The Queen Mother was a very strong character, as was Queen Mary, and these two women really shaped the Queen's view of duty and family matters.
Old 11-24-2005, 05:21 PM
Imperial Majesty

Well, yes - but the Queen was married to another strong person and also had some formidable constitutional duties where she had to stand on her own two feet. It's just amazing that when she was in her 50s and 60s and had been on the throne for 20 or 30 years, mummy just had to say "no" and that was that.
Old 11-24-2005, 05:32 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Well, yes - but the Queen was married to another strong person and also had some formidable constitutional duties where she had to stand on her own two feet. It's just amazing that when she was in her 50s and 60s and had been on the throne for 20 or 30 years, mummy just had to say "no" and that was that.
Perhaps in the end, it was a case of not wanting to upset her mum by argueing about it.
Old 11-24-2005, 08:09 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon
Perhaps in the end, it was a case of not wanting to upset her mum by argueing about it.
I agree. At the end of the day, the Queen Mother's feelings probably came first.
Old 11-24-2005, 08:13 PM
Imperial Majesty

Well, I really think there's something pretty sad about a middle-aged woman with a husband, family, and high-powered job who puts her mother's feelings above all of them. There's also something pretty sad about a mother who'd expect that sort of loyalty from a grown daughter with a family of her own.
Old 11-27-2005, 08:16 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Well, I really think there's something pretty sad about a middle-aged woman with a husband, family, and high-powered job who puts her mother's feelings above all of them. There's also something pretty sad about a mother who'd expect that sort of loyalty from a grown daughter with a family of her own.
I was going to say that I wouldn't mind some of the Queen Mum's hints and tips but, on reflection, I'm glad that all of mine are independent men and women. Then again, I was never the Queen.:)
Old 11-27-2005, 09:32 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by branchg
In reality, they are not, but given the marriages between royals and commoners in the other European royal houses, the Queen and her descendants are far more royal by today's standards.
Juan Carlos and Sofia are more royal than the Queen. Both of Sofia's parents were direct descendants of Queen Victoria and so is her husband. As a Bourbon, Juan Carlos is ridiculously royal. Moreover, he is King of Jerusalem and of Naples.
Old 11-27-2005, 09:52 AM
Heir Presumptive

I would agree that Juan Carlos is ridiculously royal, here ar his titles:

King of Castile
King of León
King of Aragon
King of the Two Sicilies
King of Jerusalem
King of Navarre
King of Granada
King of Toledo
King of Valencia
King of Galicia
King of Sardinia
King of Cordoba
King of Corsica
King of Murcia
King of Jaen
King of Algeciras
King of Gibraltar
King of the Canary Islands
King of the Spanish East Indies and Western of the Islands and Firm Earth of Sea Ocean
Archduke of Austria
Duke of Burgundy
Duke of Brabant
Duke of Milan
Duke of Athens and Neopatria
Count of Habsburg
Count of Flanders
Count of the Tirol
Count of the Roussillon
Count of Barcelona
Lord of Vizcaya
Lord of Molina
General Captain of the Royal Armed Forces and her Supreme Commander
Sovereign Grand Master of the Celebrated Order of the Golden Fleece
Knight of the Order of St. Xavier
Knight of the Order of the Anunciada
Knight of the Order of the Garter
Bailio Grand Cross of Justice with Necklace of the Order of Constantino and George of Greece.
Bailio Grand Cross of Honour and Devotion of the Sovereign Military Order of Malta
Grand Necklace of the Queen of Saba
Grand Cordon of the Supreme Order of the Chrysanthemum of Japan
Grand Necklace of the Dynasty of Reza of Iran
Grand Cross of the Honour's Legion and of the National Order of Merit.
Master of the Order of Montesa
Master of the Order of Alcántara
Master of the Order of Calatrava
Master of the Order of Santiago
Master of other Military Orders.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juan_Carlos_of_Spain

Closed Thread

Tags
prince charles, prince of wales