The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-23-2005, 08:45 PM
Serene Highness
TRF Author

It' wrong to blame Charles alone for the end of the marriage with Diana, but remember in the exactly day of the wedding (when Diana was so in love for him), he was thinking about other woman... He sweared on the Church many things he didn't honestly felt. So he was disloyal to his future wife, to the Church, to the Institution and to his People. She did very bad things like to try the suicide and others things, but we can't forget she did that after she knew about the relationship between Charles and Camilla was not over... Diana had menthal and health problems, that's a fact, but his duty was to help her. That's what all husbands should do: help their wifes, and not ignore them. Charles also "caused" the bulimia problems on Diana saying she was a little bit fat... Charles didn't like to see Harry was a red-hairded baby. And the worst thing in Charles personality (imo) were the Huge jealous he had of the popularity of his wife. She was a Hit to everyone, and he couldn't bear that.She had faults, many faults, but what he (and his mistress at the time and now his wife) did with her was unpardonable.Some people say he has the right to move on and be happy with Camilla. Of course he has the right! He has the right to do what he wants! But if he wants to be King, maybe he should think first about the consequences of his acts.Queen Beatrix of Netherlands or King Harald of Norway were two Fighters when they insisted to marry with Prince Claus and Queen Sonja, respectively. If Charles loved Camill so much, he should insist about his choise and wait the time it was needed and fight till the end! But he didn't... because he was a weak. He was an insecure in his chilhood, a weak in his youth and a jealous one when he was older. He has good things too obviously. He is smart, I like his ideas, some of them are very advanced ones. I read he talks with plants... maybe it's just a false rumor but I like the way he cares about nature. Anyway, this is not enough to be King. Also the fear he still feels for his father is just pathetic. I don't think the British want a man like him to be the next King of England. Anyway, I don't think Charles wants to be king with 75 years old...

Old 11-23-2005, 08:45 PM
Courtier

In 1968 a retrospective exhibition of Cecil Beaton's photography at the National Portrait Gallery was opened by the Queen Mother. She was shown around the displays by Beaton and looking at the portraits of the Duke and Duchess of Windsor, she said "They're so happy, and really a great deal of good came out of it. We have much to be thankful for."

Old 11-23-2005, 08:49 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by selrahc4
In 1968 a retrospective exhibition of Cecil Beaton's photography at the National Portrait Gallery was opened by the Queen Mother. She was shown around the displays by Beaton and looking at the portraits of the Duke and Duchess of Windsor, she said "They're so happy, and really a great deal of good came out of it. We have much to be thankful for."
selrahc4,

Thankyou for the info. I must say that I have never heard this before...Quite interesting. If HM the Queen Elizabeth, Queen Mother did infact say this then I would have to agree. Much good did come from it.

"MII"
Old 11-23-2005, 08:51 PM

A sensible woman indeed. The Duchess of Windsor was very touched by the Queen Mother's Christmas Card each year after the death of the Duke.
Old 11-23-2005, 08:55 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margrethe II
selrahc4,

Thankyou for the info. I must say that I have never heard this before...Quite interesting. If HM the Queen Elizabeth, Queen Mother did infact say this then I would have to agree. Much good did come from it.

"MII"
The occasion is described in "Cecil Beaton: The Royal Portraits" by Roy Strong. He had access to Beaton's diaries and the quote came from them.
Old 11-23-2005, 08:58 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina
It's wrong to blame Charles alone...
AMEN very well said.
Today the world has embraced new royal Princesses in the form of Mary of Denmark and Maxima of the Netherlands. But it's questionable whether even these hugely popular, increasingly glamorous future Queens will ever capture the world's imagination in the same way as Diana.
As Mario acknowledges: "She really was a true Princess".
-www.theroyalist.net-
Old 11-23-2005, 09:00 PM

Quote:
AMEN very well said
Why? Because its a post against Charles? Sometimes I don't think posters on this board don't actually read a post. They just see "Charles shouldnt" and "Charles didnt" and say how wonderful a post it was. They do the same when its a pro Diana post. Frankly its boring and plastic.
Old 11-23-2005, 09:24 PM
Heir Presumptive

It does get boring. Anything that sanctifies Diana or damns Charles is a holy post. How is it so easy for them to dismiss what Diana did but hold a grudge against Charles that even Diana didnt have. Grow up people. Diana didnt appoint you her image protecters. She moved on and accepted Camilla and the situation and moved on. She was friends with Charles after the divorce. Stop defending the tragic(and if I may say great actress), disturbed Diana and celebrate the caring women who moved on and had another chance until her life sadly ended.
Old 11-23-2005, 09:26 PM
Heir Presumptive

The Queen Mother may have demonstrated some kindness after the Duke died, but it was hardly anything more than a formal courtesy to a widow. She most certainly did not relent in her feelings about Wallis becoming a Royal Highness, which was the main reason for the bitterness between them.
Old 11-23-2005, 09:29 PM

Quote:
The Queen Mother may have demonstrated some kindness after the Duke died, but it was hardly anything more than a formal courtesy to a widow.
If the Queen Mother wanted to show a formal courtesy, she would have sent Wallis a simple Card signed 'Elizabeth R'. She didn't. She sent her letters and cards, flowers and even spoke to her on the phone. Before Wallis died, the Queen Mother was due to visit her in Paris. I believe that the Queen Mother wanted to get to know Wallis. She realised that whatever was past, they were both widows and had lost their loves. There was anger and dislike in the beginning but Wallis was an elderly lady, as was the Queen Mother - an HRH meant nothing. Getting through each day - lonely and sick, thats what mattered. And the Queen Mother was a support for Wallis in her last years. It probably made it easier on Wallis.
Old 11-23-2005, 09:29 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by branchg
The Queen Mother may have demonstrated some kindness after the Duke died, but it was hardly anything more than a formal courtesy to a widow. She most certainly did not relent in her feelings about Wallis becoming a Royal Highness, which was the main reason for the bitterness between them.
I do believe strongly the Queen Mother to have mellowed slightly towards her sister in-law with age, but I would have to agree with you branchg.

"MII"
Old 11-23-2005, 09:35 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina
Charles also "caused" the bulimia problems on Diana saying she was a little bit fat...
Well I was going to stay out of this one, but there are so many lies and false information being thrown around about bulimia and eating disorders in the name of Diana, that I think it is a disservice to all women who suffer from eating disorders to be silent on this statement.

Regina you are so wrong. From your post, it is obvious that you have no clue what causes bulimia or any other eating disorder. It is a very serious disorder and no one comment or event causes a person to become bulimic. So get that right out of your head.

Bulimia and anorexia begin in the pre-teen years and stem from a variety of causes including the girl's relationship with their parents and siblings. Diana's sister was anorexic and she admitted to emulating her sister's behavior to be more like her. By the time Diana married at age 20, her eating disorder was already well advanced. A high-profile marriage with a lot of press attention was bound to make it worse.

Quote:
but his duty was to help her. That's what all husbands should do: help their wifes, and not ignore them.
Now about this statement. Obviously you have never known anyone who had a close relative or spouse with bulimia or you would have known that the closest people in the family are not prepared to deal with such a serious disorder. One of my high school friends had it and it frightened and confused all those who were closest to her. We didn't know why she was acting so strangely and we didn't know what we could do to help. Everything we said to her was wrong and brought on another episode. We tried to get her help; some therapists were incompetent, other therapists were very good but she wouldn't listen to them. After awhile one of the therapists told the family that this was normal. She married the sweetest man I ever knew and the marriage lasted 3 years because he couldn't take it anymore.

After a very long time, she pulled herself up, found a support group of other women suffering from the disease and began to heal herself with the help of these women and a wonderful therapist. She's now happily remarried with two wonderful children.

I saw her recently and she joked that she couldn't understand how we could put up with her for as long as we did. She was suffering; it wasn't her fault, but it was nice to get some acknowledgement that she knew the people around her were suffering while she was.

Bulimia is a very serious disease which many women suffer in ignorance. Please don't spread the false and malicious rumour that Charles' comment caused Diana's bulimia or that you know he could have done something to help because its obvious you have no clue about bulimia - its causes and its effects on others.

Sorry Warren, Elspeth, I know this post is off topic for this thread but after my experiences, I just could not let a statement like that stand. You've heard enough from me on bulimia in this thread.
Old 11-23-2005, 09:40 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by branchg
She most certainly did not relent in her feelings about Wallis becoming a Royal Highness, which was the main reason for the bitterness between them.
Yes, in that I agree branchg.
Old 11-23-2005, 09:41 PM
Courtier

Not only women ysbel,

I myself have battled Bulimia Nervosa for two years, quite possibly a little longer. I agree with many things you have said ysbel.

I have been lucky with the support and comfort I have recieved from those around me but have also come across those who dont understand. I know what Diana went through with Bulimia first hand and I would wish it upon no living person!

Also there is this misconception that it is only women who battle the dissorder. This is wrong.

"MII"
Old 11-23-2005, 10:00 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Not only women ysbel,

I myself have battled Bulimia Nervosa for two years, quite possibly a little longer. I agree with many things you have said ysbel.

I have been lucky with the support and comfort I have recieved from those around me but have also come across those who dont understand. I know what Diana went through with Bulimia first hand and I would wish it upon no living person!

Also there is this misconception that it is only women who battle the dissorder. This is wrong.

"MII"
You are right Margrethe. There are a lot of misconceptions about eating disorders. I had totally forgotten that men suffer it and sometimes get less understanding than women do.

Bless you and give you Godspeed.
Old 11-23-2005, 10:27 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel
You are right Margrethe. There are a lot of misconceptions about eating disorders. I had totally forgotten that men suffer it and sometimes get less understanding than women do.

Bless you and give you Godspeed.
Thank you ysbel :) Your words are met with much thanks and sincere gratitude.

Much health and happiness to you and yours,

"MII"

P.S. We are so going to get our behinds kicked by the mods for getting right of track.lol. Sorry lovely, darling moderators
Old 11-23-2005, 10:55 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
When the Duchess of Windsor was ill at home (Chateau de Candé, Monts) it was known that the Queen Mother did send her some flowers and attached to them was a private message signed 'In friendship, Elizabeth R'. This was of course after the Dukes death and I do believe it was from one widowed wife to another, recognising the grief and pain of losing ones husband.
Or realising that public opinion was beginning to turn against her as being vindictive, and that if the royal family was to get the Duke's things and the Duchess's jewels back when she died, they were going to have to start treating her like a human.
Old 11-23-2005, 11:01 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan
I believe that the Queen Mother wanted to get to know Wallis..
I don't. That woman really had unbelievable PR. Her Teflon coating would have made President Reagan jealous. She held grudges for decades - look at the way she treated Marion Crawford, as well as the way she ignored her nephew's wife because the lady was a working-class Irish nurse. She seems to me to be a narrow-minded, self-centred, prejudiced snob. With brilliant PR.
Old 11-23-2005, 11:04 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth
Or realising that public opinion was beginning to turn against her as being vindictive, and that if the royal family was to get the Duke's things and the Duchess's jewels back when she died, they were going to have to start treating her like a human.
Yes Elspeth, as much as I admired the Queen Mum, it always bothered me how she could carry a grudge. I hope that's one royal tradition that Charles and Camilla firmly leave behind them.
Old 11-23-2005, 11:09 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
P.S. We are so going to get our behinds kicked by the mods for getting right of track.lol. Sorry lovely, darling moderators
*sigh*

Actually, information about bulimia is helpful in explaining some of the misconceptions about Diana. It's quite worrying that people are prepared to take Diana's unsupported opinions about things as though they were set-in-rock fact. It would be better to apply a bit of critical thinking to allegations made on all sides of this issue. It might help to clarify whether Charles really will end up on the throne, assuming he outlives the Queen.

Closed Thread

Tags
prince charles, prince of wales