The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-23-2005, 11:08 AM

According to Gyles Brandreth, the Queen told Charles that he had to divorce. The Queen Mother didn't want divorce in the family no matter who it affected. Suprisingly, again according to Brandreth, the Queen Mother loved Camilla just as much as she did Charles because she saw that Camilla made her grandson happy, but she had advised the Queen to stop the divorce of Charles and Diana from taking place.

Old 11-23-2005, 11:17 AM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan
According to Gyles Brandreth, the Queen told Charles that he had to divorce. The Queen Mother didn't want divorce in the family no matter who it affected. Suprisingly, again according to Brandreth, the Queen Mother loved Camilla just as much as she did Charles because she saw that Camilla made her grandson happy, but she had advised the Queen to stop the divorce of Charles and Diana from taking place.
Hmm, I heard that Charles held off on divorce for fear of disappointing the Queen Mum but after the Panorama interview the Queen Mum realized that she was the reason they were holding off so she switched gears and pushed for the divorce

Old 11-23-2005, 11:29 AM

Where did you hear that? I'm inclined to believe Brandreth being a close friend of Charles's. He says that the Queen Mother didn't like the idea of divorce at all and so she advised against it.
Old 11-23-2005, 11:44 AM
Administrator in Memoriam

Quote:
Where did you hear that? I'm inclined to believe Brandreth being a close friend of Charles's. He says that the Queen Mother didn't like the idea of divorce at all and so she advised against it.
If we can be patient we may well find out for certain the Queen Mother's opinion when her official biography is published - 2006?
Old 11-23-2005, 11:48 AM

Isn't there one out now Warren? By Hugo Vickers? You can get that in Majesty Magazine already but it might not be out till 2006.
Old 11-23-2005, 11:55 AM
Administrator in Memoriam

Quote:
Isn't there one out now Warren? By Hugo Vickers? You can get that in Majesty Magazine already but it might not be out till 2006.
If it was out now we would have heard a lot of "what the Queen Mother really thought" about a whole range of things. But we haven't. So maybe the ads are for advance orders.
Old 11-23-2005, 11:58 AM

Must be - thanks for that Warren! I was going to order one and wouldn't have got one till next year.
Old 11-23-2005, 01:09 PM
Courtier

Quote:
The Hugo Vickers bio of The Queen Mother has been out for at least a month. Mine arrived around Oct 22 (ordered from amazon uk). It isn't the "official" biography, though. William Shawcross was chosen to write that and I expect he his diligently rooting through the archives at Windsor this very moment. King George VI died in 1952, but his official biography wasn't published until 1958, so perhaps we have a while to wait for the Queen Mother's.
Old 11-23-2005, 05:30 PM
Heir Presumptive

By all accounts so far, the Queen Mother was adamantly against Charles and Diana separating, never mind divorce. And she most certainly did not accept Camilla nor would she receive her. The whole reason Charles could not broach the subject of marriage was because the Queen Mother refused to even consider it.

We'll have to wait for HM's official biography for the definitive answer.
Old 11-23-2005, 05:36 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon
I understood it was the Queen who pushed for them to divorce
It was really Prince Philip and Robert Fellowes, as well as advice by John Major and the Archbishop of Canterbury, that pushed the Queen to order a divorce. Major told the Queen the uncertainty and media onslaught was damaging the monarchy and a decision had to be made.
Old 11-23-2005, 05:41 PM

Quote:
And she most certainly did not accept Camilla nor would she receive her.
Thats not quite true. Brandreth says that it was the Queen Mother who told Charles that he could be with Camilla at the Castle of Mey, away from the Press. He says that she liked her very much and had a fondness and a love for her because she made her grandson (who see adored) so happy. When he was on 'Richard and Judy' he said that Camilla met with the Queen Mother quite a few times.
Old 11-23-2005, 06:09 PM
Imperial Majesty

Really, what a hypocrite. It's OK for them to have a clandestine affair and cheat on their spouses, but just let them try to do the honest thing and end their unhappy marriages to remarry, and that's strictly prohibited. Apparently the problem is not what you do, it's how many people know you're doing it.
Old 11-23-2005, 06:10 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Thats not quite true. Brandreth says that it was the Queen Mother who told Charles that he could be with Camilla at the Castle of Mey, away from the Press. He says that she liked her very much and had a fondness and a love for her because she made her grandson (who see adored) so happy. When he was on 'Richard and Judy' he said that Camilla met with the Queen Mother quite a few times.
The Queen Mother liked Camilla personally (she knew her for many years), but that's a far cry from accepting her as a member of the royal family. The Queen Mother didn't mind her grandson had a mistress who made him happy, as long as he kept it quiet and had no intention of marrying her. She met with Camilla over the years when she was still married to Andrew Parker-Bowles, but never with Charles as any sort of couple.

The Queen Mother's view was your duty to the monarchy always came first, regardless of happiness. The shock of the Abdication never left her and she would not accept Charles and Camilla marrying. It was just that simple.
Old 11-23-2005, 06:14 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth
Really, what a hypocrite. It's OK for them to have a clandestine affair and cheat on their spouses, but just let them try to do the honest thing and end their unhappy marriages to remarry, and that's strictly prohibited. Apparently the problem is not what you do, it's how many people know you're doing it.
Very true! But the Queen Mother felt divorce was the death knell to the monarchy and would not change her view of one's duty to the Crown.
Old 11-23-2005, 06:14 PM

Quote:
The Queen Mother liked Camilla personally (she knew her for many years), but that's a far cry from accepting her as a member of the royal family.
Ah, lets not confuse ourselves here. You said, "And she most certainly did not accept Camilla nor would she receive her". You didn't say, "She wouldn't accept her as a member of the Royal Family".
Quote:
The Queen Mother's view was your duty to the monarchy always came first, regardless of happiness. The shock of the Abdication never left her and she would not accept Charles and Camilla marrying. It was just that simple
I think there's too much made of the Abdication as if it devastated the Queen Mother. She should have been grateful for it. It made her Queen and her daughter Queen. We don't know that she was rocked by it or that it wounded her deeply. Thats speculation.
Old 11-23-2005, 06:26 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
I think there's too much made of the Abdication as if it devastated the Queen Mother. She should have been grateful for it. It made her Queen and her daughter Queen. We don't know that she was rocked by it or that it wounded her deeply. Thats speculation.
There is plenty of credible material written over the years stating the Queen Mother never forgave her brother-in-law for abdicating and forcing she and her husband to become King and Queen. She blamed the Duke and Duchess for years for the death of George VI, insisting he died early because the burden of the throne killed him (although he died of lung cancer from his incessant smoking, as did the Duke).
Old 11-23-2005, 06:37 PM

Quote:
She blamed the Duke and Duchess for years for the death of George VI, insisting he died early because the burden of the throne killed him (although he died of lung cancer from his incessant smoking, as did the Duke)
Are you sure? The Queen Mother sent many notes and messages to Wallis and it seemed as if all was forgotten, even signing them 'In Friendship'. That ended when Wallis died in 1986, so she must have gotten over George's death by then? And the Abdication. I doubt she remained bitter until she died in 2002.
Old 11-23-2005, 07:06 PM
Administrator

If I recall..the thaw in the Queen Mother and the Duchess of Windsor's relationship didn't occur until after the Duke of Windsor had died.

In regards to the Abdication..she accepted the responsibility of their new position but I don't think she forgave the Duke. Yes, lung cancer killed the King but the pressure of the job was a factor as well.

In regards to the Camilla situation, based upon what I read. Yes, she had met with Camilla in the past (Andrew Parker Bowles was her godson). She recognized that Camilla made him happy but she didn't favor the two of them marrying.
Old 11-23-2005, 07:07 PM
Courtier

When the Duchess of Windsor was ill at home (Chateau de Candé, Monts) it was known that the Queen Mother did send her some flowers and attached to them was a private message signed 'In friendship, Elizabeth R'. This was of course after the Dukes death and I do believe it was from one widowed wife to another, recognising the grief and pain of losing ones husband.

I, persoanlly, dont think the Queen Mother ever did get over the abdication as it was something that she never discussed (Even with her inner circle) She also noted that she could'nt hold any real opinion of the Duchess as she only met her once before the crises (The Duke of Grafton is even on record saying this to be the case).

I doubt very much whether she ever got over her husbands death either. 'It doesnt get better, but you get better at it' is what HM Queen Elizabeth said and I think that to be right.

Quietly, I believe the late Queen Mother was always the grieving widow until the day she passed from this life to the next, and the events of 1936 were never forgotten.

"MII"
Old 11-23-2005, 07:11 PM
Administrator

Again if I recall...the one time they did meet was at Fort Belverdre and the Duchess of Winsdor (then Wallis Simpson) was caught mimicking the Queen Mother (then the Duchess of York). I don't believe she cared for her at all. Which is odd..since she had a friendly relationship with Lady Furness.

And since both the Duke and Duchess of Windsor blamed the HRH slightling on the Queen Mother. I cant say they were friends.

Closed Thread

Tags
prince charles, prince of wales