The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-15-2005, 12:08 PM

Well, the age for retirement for a men and women is 62. It was 65 for men and 60 for women but that was changed. But those rules don't apply for members of the Royal Family - it's a job for life.

Old 11-15-2005, 12:11 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan
Well, the age for retirement for a men and women is 62. It was 65 for men and 60 for women but that was changed. But those rules don't apply for members of the Royal Family - it's a job for life.

Always can dream:)

Old 11-15-2005, 12:14 PM

Why have people got to dream that Charles will die before his mother? For people who claim to love the Queen and William that doesn't strike me as caring. Wishing that the Queen lose her first born child, William loses his father as well as his mother and that Camilla loses her husband. Charming.
Old 11-15-2005, 12:35 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Why have people got to dream that Charles will die before his mother? For people who claim to love the Queen and William that doesn't strike me as caring. Wishing that the Queen lose her first born child, William loses his father as well as his mother and that Camilla loses her husband. Charming.

NOOO!!! I don't wish Charles or anybody death! Lossing someonewho you love is terrible. I've just wondering will Charles be some day a ruler or not. And if will than how long but if not than what could be possible a reason - age, health. Death is possible too and talk about that is unfortunately necessary if you want or no. Especially when you talk about that if "Will Charles (or whoever CPs/ss) ever reign?"

GreetingsBeatrixFan
Old 11-15-2005, 12:38 PM

And greetings to you to m'dear, but the only way Charles will not be King is if he marries a catholic (which he hasn't), abdicates (and he'll have to be King first to do that) or dies. He certainly won't abdicate - he's waited too long for the top job and so the only way he won't be King is if he dies.
Old 11-15-2005, 12:47 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
And greetings to you to m'dear, but the only way Charles will not be King is if he marries a catholic (which he hasn't), abdicates (and he'll have to be King first to do that) or dies. He certainly won't abdicate - he's waited too long for the top job and so the only way he won't be King is if he dies.

As it was said or wrote: Wait and it will be given you...:) someday Charles.
Old 11-15-2005, 01:06 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by corazon
You're call me crazy?
No, he's calling the accusation crazy. That's not at all the same thing.
Old 11-15-2005, 02:10 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
And he can't abdicate without Parliament's consent via the passing of an Act. As the eligible descendant of Electress Sophia under the Act of Settlement, Charles is automatically King when his mother dies.
Old 11-15-2005, 02:14 PM
Imperial Majesty

Hypothetically speaking, of course - is there no way he could take himself out of the line of succession during the present reign other than by becoming or marrying a Catholic?
Old 11-15-2005, 02:45 PM
Heir Apparent

What about bad health condition? (I don't wish him any illnesses!)
Old 11-15-2005, 03:06 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Either the Queen or Charles as King could be deemed as incapacitated and a permanent regent would be appointed. In that case, the Prince of Wales doesn't become King but becomes Prince Regent.This is what happened to George IV when George III fell into his terminal stage of porphyria. George IV did not become King until his father died.

Charles would probably be chosen regent if the Queen were incapacitated because he's been around awhile and knows the ropes; I don't know if William would be created regent if Charles were incapacitated. It depends on how much experience he has at the time Charles became incapacitated.
Old 11-15-2005, 03:07 PM
Courtier

No I don't think there is any way to take him out other than marrying a Catholic or changing religion (I am right in saying that you have to be of the Church of England to be King ?)
I
f he ascends the throne and mentally incompetent then there is a provision to have a Regent (most likely William). As in the case of George III.

If he does Abdicate an Act would have to be passed in all the Parliament of the realm (Canada, Australia, New Zealand ect.)
Old 11-15-2005, 03:10 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth
Hypothetically speaking, of course - is there no way he could take himself out of the line of succession during the present reign other than by becoming or marrying a Catholic?
No way except of amending or repealing the Act of Settlement.
Old 11-15-2005, 03:14 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel
Charles would probably be chosen regent if the Queen were incapacitated because he's been around awhile and knows the ropes; I don't know if William would be created regent if Charles were incapacitated. It depends on how much experience he has at the time Charles became incapacitated.
According to the Regency Act 1937 Charles would be appointed regent if his mother were incpacitated; the same holds for William in case of King Charles's incapacity.
Old 11-15-2005, 03:46 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnik
What about bad health condition? (I don't wish him any illnesses!)
Wow, are you a pessimist. I hope he and Camilla have a long and happy life!:)
Old 11-15-2005, 03:49 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mapple
No way except of amending or repealing the Act of Settlement.
Correct. Theroetically, he could execute a Renunciation of Succession Rights in favor of William before the Queen's death, but only if Parliament agreed and passed an Act confirming Charles was no longer eligible to succeed under the Act of Settlement.
Old 11-15-2005, 04:09 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mapple
According to the Regency Act 1937 Charles would be appointed regent if his mother were incpacitated; the same holds for William in case of King Charles's incapacity.
Thanks for clarifying that Mapple. :)
Old 11-15-2005, 04:51 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Correct. Theroetically, he could execute a Renunciation of Succession Rights in favor of William before the Queen's death, but only if Parliament agreed and passed an Act confirming Charles was no longer eligible to succeed under the Act of Settlement.
This would be the biggest problem in my opinion. Not only would it have to go through the UK parilament but also all the realms. If it was brought up they would be a huge debate about just ending the monarchy in general. That is why I think in any case it is a bad idea for any of the Parliaments to get invovled, abdication or ending the male perfered system. (I like the Queen on my money :) )
Old 11-15-2005, 04:57 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon
Wow, are you a pessimist. I hope he and Camilla have a long and happy life!:)

I'm not a pessimist but I hypothetical considering about that what could "disturb" or "help" him to be a king some day. :) Nothing more!!! I don't wish no one a death or illnesses!
Old 11-16-2005, 04:25 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnik
I'm not a pessimist but I hypothetical considering about that what could "disturb" or "help" him to be a king some day. :) Nothing more!!! I don't wish no one a death or illnesses!
I know you don't.:) I just have a horror of 'what if', my problem, not yours.:)

Tags
prince charles, prince of wales