The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #161  
Old 08-16-2005, 05:54 PM
sara1981's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: North Little Rock, United States
Posts: 3,448
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fashionista100
I think Charles will get the throne eventually. It is his birthright. And who knows, he may turn out to be a good king. Anything is possible. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. Plus William should not have such responsibility put on his shoulders at such an early age. He should be allowed to enjoy life and be out of the public eye as much as possible. I think Charles is aware of how things have been for him and wants William not to make the same mistakes or have the same restrictions he did.

Plus, the Queen will not give up the throne until she dies. And seeing how long her mother lived, that could be awhile!! What will most likely happen to Charles is what happened in Germany to the last couple of Kaiser's. One died after a long reign, the son died after a very short reign, then the grandson inherited. So we shall see.
its rough answer!

HM Queen wanted William become King of England because Prince Charles cant become King of England because many people vote for William become King of England but i would agree it! but i think Prince Charles is divorcees to his mother the Princess Diana we have to wait and see what happened!

I would think Prince Charles would become King of England but he really old to become King of England i dont think so! we have to wait and see!

Sara Boyce
__________________

  #162  
Old 08-16-2005, 06:00 PM
Gentry
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: LR, United States
Posts: 72
I think that if Prince William is married when Queen Elizabeth dies,that he will become king.
__________________

__________________
******************************************************
Queen Alia is my favorite
  #163  
Old 08-16-2005, 08:23 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: , United States
Posts: 2,736
Charles will be King when his mother dies, unless he is completely incapacitated by a health issue. It is his duty under the law, unless Parliament removes him or grants the throne directly to William, which is highly unlikely. The Camilla issue has already been settled by approval of the marriage. He will not be denied the throne.
  #164  
Old 08-16-2005, 08:48 PM
tiaraprin's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Near NY City, United States
Posts: 1,839
I have said it before, and I will say it again with much fervor:

LONG LIVE THE QUEEN!!
MAY THE QUEEN LIVE FOREVER!!

SEND HER VICTORIOUS
HAPPY AND GLORIOUS
LONG TO REIGN OVER US
GOD SAVE THE QUEEN!!

(love the second verse of God Save the Queen! has the most important line!!)
  #165  
Old 08-16-2005, 08:56 PM
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: ***, United States
Posts: 16,894
May the Queen live forever? Isn't that overdoing it a bit?
  #166  
Old 08-16-2005, 08:59 PM
tiaraprin's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Near NY City, United States
Posts: 1,839
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth
May the Queen live forever? Isn't that overdoing it a bit?
I know she can't Elspeth, but I wish she would live long enough so that William becomes King upon her death.
  #167  
Old 08-16-2005, 09:01 PM
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: ***, United States
Posts: 16,894
You're asking an awful lot of that poor lad.
  #168  
Old 08-16-2005, 09:05 PM
tiaraprin's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Near NY City, United States
Posts: 1,839
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth
You're asking an awful lot of that poor lad.
I know that I am. I think Her Majesty could live another 15 years, putting William into his late 30's. I think William can do it. He is intelligent and has the compassion of his late Mum (God Rest Her Soul).
  #169  
Old 08-16-2005, 10:40 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: , Canada
Posts: 3,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiaraprin
I know that I am. I think Her Majesty could live another 15 years, putting William into his late 30's. I think William can do it. He is intelligent and has the compassion of his late Mum (God Rest Her Soul).
But is that really fair to William? To be in his late thirties and ruling?

It has been well-documented the negative consequences and effects of a young Queen Elizabeth II's rule -- how her frequent trips abroad put a strain on her young family's life as well as her marriage, how Charles, Anne, Andrew and Edward barely saw their parents. (This is also the case for other young monarchs, such as Queen Margrethe II of Denmark with her family. Crown Prince Frederik has said that he spent more time with his nannies than with his own parents.)

Just because some people dislike Charles because he is who he is, because of how he treated Diana, or because they dislike Camilla, doesn't mean that succession should be skipped in favour of William. In a way, that is a slap to both Charles and William: You are robbing Charles of a role that he has been preparing himself for his entire life -- and personal life aside, Charles has been doing a good job professionally in representing Great Britain. And you are also robbing William of a chance to live his own life, to prepare for his role as King as his father did with trips abroad and visitis within Great Britain, and to spend time with his young family.

Just because William is intelligent or has his mom's compassionate doesn't mean that he is ready to rule in his late-thirties. Not only would it be a great strain within the family for William to have succeeded his own father while Charles was still alive, but then the one thing about monarchy that is consistent -- it's bloodline and the passing of the throne from the monarch to his or her eldest child or eldest son -- goes out the window if you allow the picking and choosing of who should rule. Somebody could come along and make the argument that Edward is also intelligent and compassionate, so why not let the Wessexes rule and bypass the Wales' altogether? It's opening up a can of worms that throws caution to the wind with monarchy.
  #170  
Old 08-16-2005, 10:51 PM
iowabelle's Avatar
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Des Moines, United States
Posts: 2,405
Put another way. I saw an interview where a prime minister, I think Blair, said that the queen was the one person he could talk to, who didn't have an agenda. He found her personal knowledge and insights of all the world's leaders invaluable. Of course, she's been doing her job 50+ years.

Charles has been building that storage of information for 30+ years.

William is just a newbie, no matter how popular he is.
  #171  
Old 08-17-2005, 01:25 AM
tiaraprin's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Near NY City, United States
Posts: 1,839
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexandria
But is that really fair to William? To be in his late thirties and ruling?

It has been well-documented the negative consequences and effects of a young Queen Elizabeth II's rule -- how her frequent trips abroad put a strain on her young family's life as well as her marriage, how Charles, Anne, Andrew and Edward barely saw their parents. (This is also the case for other young monarchs, such as Queen Margrethe II of Denmark with her family. Crown Prince Frederik has said that he spent more time with his nannies than with his own parents.)

Just because some people dislike Charles because he is who he is, because of how he treated Diana, or because they dislike Camilla, doesn't mean that succession should be skipped in favour of William. In a way, that is a slap to both Charles and William: You are robbing Charles of a role that he has been preparing himself for his entire life -- and personal life aside, Charles has been doing a good job professionally in representing Great Britain. And you are also robbing William of a chance to live his own life, to prepare for his role as King as his father did with trips abroad and visitis within Great Britain, and to spend time with his young family.

Just because William is intelligent or has his mom's compassionate doesn't mean that he is ready to rule in his late-thirties. Not only would it be a great strain within the family for William to have succeeded his own father while Charles was still alive, but then the one thing about monarchy that is consistent -- it's bloodline and the passing of the throne from the monarch to his or her eldest child or eldest son -- goes out the window if you allow the picking and choosing of who should rule. Somebody could come along and make the argument that Edward is also intelligent and compassionate, so why not let the Wessexes rule and bypass the Wales' altogether? It's opening up a can of worms that throws caution to the wind with monarchy.
I do understand what you are saying iowabelle. I will be really honest here. I don't care if Charles gets "smacked in the face" but I do care about William. I see your point of letting him have a normal life for as long as possible and I do advocate for that on the threads. I lost sight for my concern for William due to my antipathy for Charles.

I fear what will happen when and if Charles becomes King and what he is going to do, what title Camilla is going to get that she doesn't deserve. It could destroy the monarchy. I want to know that the monarchy is going into the 21st century stronger with a good heir to the throne.

I am trying to express what I truly feel here without using base, common language. I am trying to explain in the most proper way possible my feelings on this subject.
  #172  
Old 08-17-2005, 04:18 AM
Iluvbertie's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Bathurst, Australia
Posts: 10,277
What many people don't remember is that the positive press William gets now is the same that his father got at the same age. Then he married the wrong woman and the rest you know.

What would happen if, Charles has been passed over, and then William does something to make him unpopular?

Charles has done a great job as Prince of Wales and is the best prepared Prince of Wales in history to succeed. He will be better prepared now that he is happy in his marriage and has two fine sons.

When Edward VII eventually became king at age 59 I believe he considered for a fleeting moment, and I don't remember who it was he reported that opinion but it may have been Lord Carrington (one of his oldest and truest friends) but Edward decided that his son, with his young family should have a longer time to be a father and even if he could only do the job for a years or so (turned into 9) he should do it as much because it was his birthright and duty but also because it was only fair on his son.

Personally I think Charles will be a wonderful king. I hope that he has a reign of about 20 years and that William doesn't succeed until his 50s. That would only have Charles dying in his late 80s (a few years older than his father is now).
  #173  
Old 08-17-2005, 04:24 AM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Moscow, Russia
Posts: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiaraprin
...

I fear what will happen when and if Charles becomes King and what he is going to do, what title Camilla is going to get that she doesn't deserve. It could destroy the monarchy. I want to know that the monarchy is going into the 21st century stronger with a good heir to the throne.

...
Bypassing Charles can have a deleterious effect, too, because it will undermine the principle of hereditary succession. Not to mention the constitutional problems...

I am not a fan of the Prince of Wales, but he has to have his short reign. Maybe he is going to exceed expectations? Edward VII was an execrable Prince of Wales, but he changed into a capable and outstanding King.

The Queen may outlive him, after all.
  #174  
Old 08-17-2005, 04:26 AM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Moscow, Russia
Posts: 365
chrissy57, my post almost mirrors yours... :)
  #175  
Old 08-17-2005, 04:30 AM
Warren's Avatar
Administrator in Memoriam
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 15,476
William the Usurper?

I've asked this before without a response so will raise it again...

Why would anyone think that William would have any desire or intention, or would allow himself to be manipulated into usurping his father's right to the Throne?

It's a ridiculous notion.
.
  #176  
Old 08-17-2005, 04:34 AM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Moscow, Russia
Posts: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren
I've asked this before without a response so will raise it again...

Why would anyone think that William would have any desire or intention, or would allow himself to be manipulated into usurping his father's right to the Throne?

It's a ridiculous notion.
.
I think that the 'Williamists' count upon Charles's repudiation of his hereditary rights and the 'aye' votes of sixteen (?) Parliaments of the Commonwealth in response to his wish.
  #177  
Old 08-17-2005, 06:36 AM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 802
Realistically the only way Charles won’t become King is if he dies before his mother. That’s the way a monarchy works the next in line inherits the throne, you don’t get to vote out the ones you don’t like.

For Charles to be passed over it would need an Act of Parliament, and Charles has the support of all 3 major political parties in the UK. The leaders of all three parties congratulated him on his engagement to Camilla and all attended his wedding.

Edward VIII abdicated but it was an actual Act of Parliament passed 2 days after he signed the abdication papers that removed him as king. The person who gave Edward the ultimatum “The throne or the woman you love” was the Prime Minister at the time Stanley Baldwin. Edward was seen as an unsuitable king by the political parties, not because of his relationship with a twice divorced woman but because he openingly admired Adolf Hitler, he tried to interfere with the running of the government ( a big, no-no for a constitutional monarch) and he left papers with State Secrets lying around for anyone to see. Wallis Simpson was a way to remove him.

Charles has done a good job as Prince of Wales. Yes he did have a disastrous first marriage but history is littered with monarchs with messy personal lives, not to mention elected officials ( John F. Kennedy springs to mind!) As Prince of Wales, Charles created The Princes Trust which is the second largest creator of employment opportunities for young unemployed in the UK, he carries out over 500 royal engagements, as the Queen ages he’s gradually taking over some of her duties. Last year working as a charitable entrepreneur he helped raised 109 million pounds, his company Duchy originals which sells organic foods also gave 1 million pounds to charity.

William acknowledges that one day he will be king but he wants try different things first. Why condemn him at an early age ( and yes 30’s is early when you consider there is no retirement from royal duties, the Queen Mother was still doing them in her 90’s.!) to a life of official duties which he himself has said he doesn’t want. In last year’s interview William said that he didn’t want to start doing official duties too early as he will be doing them the rest of his life. In comparison with his father at the same age William has performed very few royal duties.

Charles will make a good king and in time William will too, let him have a life first!
  #178  
Old 08-17-2005, 07:59 AM
Idriel's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: around, France
Posts: 1,130
The Prince of Gaffes

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowabelle
Put another way. I saw an interview where a prime minister, I think Blair, said that the queen was the one person he could talk to, who didn't have an agenda. He found her personal knowledge and insights of all the world's leaders invaluable. Of course, she's been doing her job 50+ years.

Charles has been building that storage of information for 30+ years.

William is just a newbie, no matter how popular he is.
I agree with several posters that the Prince Trust is a wonderful institution, Charles' greatest achievement.
But I have to disagree with those who say he is a good Prince of Wales.
Iowabelle, you mention how Blair find in the Queen a person to Mastermind, etc. I highly doubt Charles will ever be that kind of person. He has spent great deal of his life interfering with British political life, expressing all kind of opinions and using his position to spread them. He is a strong opined man (which is good as long as he keep them private, but he doesn't) and has the habit of rubbishing the views that don't go on his way. How can you mastermind with this kind of individual?
The Queen has always been great in keeping her opinions to herself, and there's no doubt she has strong views on a lot of subjects. Head of states which had been granted private interviews with her praise her intelligence and general knowledge, but have you heard her publicly doing a comment? (well apart the one the the J.O., her only gaffe in a long reign).
Charles at his advance age, seems to have no clue how to behave as a Prince of Wales, nor how to handle the press.

But anyway, I totally agree with Mapple that the succession line must be respected, otherwise the monarchy loose all its sense.
And Kudos to Tiaraprin: 'GOD SAVE THE QUEEN' :)

PS: Charlotte1, despite our desagreement on Charles, I find your post excellent.
  #179  
Old 08-17-2005, 08:32 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 6
Well... I think that Charles is absolutely a fine "candidate" to replace the Queen. He is waiting for the job more than 50 years, and is well trained for being the Head of State. It is true, that his political views are well known to the public, but a lot of his opinions, propolsals and correspondences with goverment ministers were a private matter. It is not his foult, that they were made public. Nevertheless, it is his duty and right that he has such contacts with the goverment. In my opinion the Queen is too much passive in concerns over the monarchy position (against Tony Blair, who would like, from my point of view, debolish the monarchy some day, and would like to be the first president). So, prince Charles in doing a great job as prince of Walles. He will be tough, but good king.
  #180  
Old 08-17-2005, 09:09 AM
Alicky's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Somewhere, United States
Posts: 580
What are the "political views" that everyone keeps mentioning? I know about his stance on architecture, on organic farming and the like lol, but what are his political views?
__________________

Closed Thread

Tags
prince charles, prince of wales


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Who Will Reign First / Next mktv2000 Royal Chit Chat 150 10-01-2013 02:28 PM
Will Charles Ever Reign? Part 5 Avalon The Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall 106 06-17-2009 09:02 AM
Will Charles Ever Reign? Part 4 Elspeth The Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall 286 02-07-2008 07:58 AM
Will Charles Ever Reign? Part 3 ysbel The Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall 406 08-16-2007 08:53 PM
Will Charles Ever Reign? Part 2 Warren The Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall 425 05-14-2006 02:36 PM




Popular Tags
ascot 2016 beatrice borromeo best gown best gown september 2016 best hat best outfit camillas outfits catherine middleton style child countess of wessex coup d'etat crown princess mary crown princess mary fashion crown princess victoria's maternity fashion current events duchess of cambridge dutch state visit e-mail fashion poll greece infanta elena style kate middleton king abdullah ii king willem-alexander martha louise member introduction monarchy new zealand norway november 2016 october 2016 opening of parliament picture of the week prince charles prince joachim prince philip princess beatrice eveningwear princess charlene outfits princess marie princess mary princess mary fashion princess victoria queen letizia queen letizia casual outfits queen letizia daytime fashion queen letizia fashion queen mathilde queen maxima queen maxima casual wear queen maxima daytime fashion queen maxima fashion queen maxima hats queen maxima style queen rania queen rania casual outfit queen rania daytime fashion queen rania fashion rohans september 2016 sheikha hind spanish queen state visit state visit to denmark succession sweden the duchess of cambridge the duchess of cambridge casual wear the duchess of cambridge daytime fashion the duchess of cambridge fashion the duchess of cambridge hats


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:37 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017
Jelsoft Enterprises