The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-15-2005, 10:45 PM
Commoner

he was christened as charles, so i think he should use the name charles. i don't live in the UK so i wouldn't know how the royals are perceived over there. but is there is any reason why charles won't reign? if they skip charles in favor of william, that would be very awkward. it is not natural. it would undermine the monarchy in some way. they are following what the citizens want which is william over charles. the grandeur of the british monarchy lies in the idea of "it" being an institution. so not following the line of succession degrades the institution of the british monarchy. they should just stick with charles for stability. i dont mean to sound like a "know it all" because i am not an expert. but in order for the monarchy to be stable, charles needs to assume his "god given" right to become king.

Old 08-15-2005, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj00192557
he was christened as charles, so i think he should use the name charles. i don't live in the UK so i wouldn't know how the royals are perceived over there. but is there is any reason why charles won't reign? if they skip charles in favor of william, that would be very awkward. it is not natural. it would undermine the monarchy in some way. they are following what the citizens want which is william over charles. the grandeur of the british monarchy lies in the idea of "it" being an institution. so not following the line of succession degrades the institution of the british monarchy. they should just stick with charles for stability. i dont mean to sound like a "know it all" because i am not an expert. but in order for the monarchy to be stable, charles needs to assume his "god given" right to become king.
Following the line of succession ended years ago when the Electors of Hanover ursurped the throne, the true monarchy ended with the Stuarts, simple as that.:(

Old 08-15-2005, 11:42 PM
Imperial Majesty

Oh, yes, that's right - he was another Bertie, wasn't he? It's George V who was using his first name.

Thing is, Prince Charles doesn't look like a George somehow. Not with those ears.
Old 08-15-2005, 11:45 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj00192557
he was christened as charles, so i think he should use the name charles. i don't live in the UK so i wouldn't know how the royals are perceived over there. but is there is any reason why charles won't reign?
Only that the Winsor women seem to be very long-lived, the Windsor men don't, and Princess Elizabeth was quite young when she gave birth to Charles, so there's a chance he won't outlive her. I very much doubt that he'd step aside in favour of William, given that he knows what it was like growing up as the son of a young monarch and probably not wanting to put William through the stress of combining kingship with a young family.
Old 08-15-2005, 11:46 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Following the line of succession ended years ago when the Electors of Hanover ursurped the throne, the true monarchy ended with the Stuarts, simple as that.:(
It doesn't count as usurping when they were invited by the government, sad purple smiley notwithstanding.
Old 08-16-2005, 12:30 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordmountainslim
Charles III? There has already been a Charles III, his name was Charles Edward Stuart. Charlie Windsor wouldn't dare

Charles is a Stuart name:)

There is no official monarch named Charles III. The man you refer to was a "pretender" to the English throne, due to his dubious birth (which I do acknowledge now is ridiculous) and more importantly his religion. Catholics were excluded from the line of succession since The Glorious Revolution of 1688. It made the point crystal clear after James II attempted to bring Catholicism back.
Old 08-16-2005, 04:58 AM
Nobility

I think the Prince of Wales will have his short reign, and he should have his turn. He has been waiting for so long, and I hope that he'll have to wait some more—William IV ascended the throne at 64, why not surpass him as the oldest monarch in time of accession? :)
Old 08-16-2005, 10:19 AM
Nobility

when he ascends the throne, what will Camilla be known as. HM the Princess Consort? HRH The Princess Consort? (let's forget the argument of Queen Consort vs Princess Consort) where does her name go?

Life is mostly froth and bubbles Two things stand like stone
Kindness in others' trouble Courage in your own
Old 08-16-2005, 10:27 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by florawindsor
when he ascends the throne, what will Camilla be known as. HM the Princess Consort? HRH The Princess Consort? (let's forget the argument of Queen Consort vs Princess Consort) where does her name go?
Her Royal Highness The Princess Consort, without a name... Or she'll be a simple Queen Camilla. :)
Old 08-16-2005, 10:29 AM
Nobility

thank you Mapple, Queen Camilla (no HM?)sounds much better to me. it's a bit strange to call somebody without his/her name, also HRH doesn't quite match with HM King Charles..

Life is mostly froth and bubbles Two things stand like stone
Kindness in others' trouble Courage in your own
Old 08-16-2005, 10:42 AM
Nobility

Quote:
thank you Mapple, Queen Camilla (no HM?)sounds much better to me. it's a bit strange to call somebody without his/her name, also HRH doesn't quite match with HM King Charles..
HM goes with the title of Queen, I've omitted the prefix.
Old 08-16-2005, 11:38 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiaraprin
There is no official monarch named Charles III. The man you refer to was a "pretender" to the English throne, due to his dubious birth (which I do acknowledge now is ridiculous) and more importantly his religion. Catholics were excluded from the line of succession since The Glorious Revolution of 1688. It made the point crystal clear after James II attempted to bring Catholicism back.
It will be interesting to see what name the Prince of Wales assumes upon ascending the throne. While there is no bar to using his own (Charles III), because this particular Sovereign name is associated one of the darkest periods of the British monarchy, it might be better for Charles to become George VII as King.
Old 08-16-2005, 11:41 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mapple
Her Royal Highness The Princess Consort, without a name... Or she'll be a simple Queen Camilla. :)
In my opinion, unless the Queen dies suddenly in the next five years, I think it is highly unlikely that Camilla will be permitted by Parliament to assume any title other than Queen Consort. They will not want to set a precedent that diminishes the monarchy.
Old 08-16-2005, 02:30 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by branchg
In my opinion, unless the Queen dies suddenly in the next five years, I think it is highly unlikely that Camilla will be permitted by Parliament to assume any title other than Queen Consort. They will not want to set a precedent that diminishes the monarchy.
Yes... the present situation with Camilla reminds me of Michael Ancram, a Tory politician. He inherited the Marquessate of Lothian not long ago, but he chose to be known under his old name. So, presently he is Lord Lothian, known as Michael Ancram... just like Camilla is the Princess of Wales, known as the Duchess of Cornwall.

But were Mr Ancram to become, say, Lord Chancellor (that's highly unlikely), he would have to use his peerage title.
Old 08-16-2005, 02:45 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Yes... the present situation with Camilla reminds me of Michael Ancram, a Tory politician. He inherited the Marquessate of Lothian not long ago, but he chose to be known under his old name. So, presently he is Lord Lothian, known as Michael Ancram... just like Camilla is the Princess of Wales, known as the Duchess of Cornwall.

But were Mr Ancram to become, say, Lord Chancellor (that's highly unlikely), he would have to use his peerage title.
I thought the peers couldn't run for a seat in the House of Commons. Winston Churchill's father did but being the second son of the Duke of Marlborough, he wasn't a peer. In fact, Winston turned down an earldom and a dukedom to stay in the House of Commons.

This sounds strange; have the laws changed since then?
Old 08-16-2005, 02:52 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel
I thought the peers couldn't run for a seat in the House of Commons. Winston Churchill's father did but being the second son of the Duke of Marlborough, he wasn't a peer. In fact, Winston turned down an earldom and a dukedom to stay in the House of Commons.

This sounds strange; have the laws changed since then?
Yes. The Peerage Act 1963 made it possible to disclaim a peerage. The House of Lords Act 1999 excluded the majority of hereditary peers from the Upper House, allowing them to stand for election in the House of Commons instead. But that's off-topic here, I presume. :)
Old 08-16-2005, 02:54 PM
Courtier

I think Charles will get the throne eventually. It is his birthright. And who knows, he may turn out to be a good king. Anything is possible. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. Plus William should not have such responsibility put on his shoulders at such an early age. He should be allowed to enjoy life and be out of the public eye as much as possible. I think Charles is aware of how things have been for him and wants William not to make the same mistakes or have the same restrictions he did.

Plus, the Queen will not give up the throne until she dies. And seeing how long her mother lived, that could be awhile!! What will most likely happen to Charles is what happened in Germany to the last couple of Kaiser's. One died after a long reign, the son died after a very short reign, then the grandson inherited. So we shall see.
Old 08-16-2005, 03:44 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Yes. The Peerage Act 1963 made it possible to disclaim a peerage. The House of Lords Act 1999 excluded the majority of hereditary peers from the Upper House, allowing them to stand for election in the House of Commons instead. But that's off-topic here, I presume. :)
Ah thanks, Mapple. :)
Old 08-16-2005, 04:48 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
you know many people in London,England wanted to low-profiles of their favourite Princess Diana very much! not as Camilla! but i dont wanted Camilla become HM Queen i dont think so!

Sara Boyce
Old 08-16-2005, 04:51 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
when HM Queen dies Camilla will known as Princess Consort but i dont wanted her as HM Queen you know many people in London,England wanted to still low-profiles of their favourite Princess Diana very much! but i do very much but i dont wanted Camilla become Queen!

Sara Boyce

Closed Thread

Tags
prince charles, prince of wales