The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-02-2005, 11:09 AM

Mary Wellesley

Quote:
Originally Posted by wymanda
I think that Charles will have a short reign, like Edward VII. I do think that we will see William as a very active Prince of Wales during that time.
I look forward to a long and golden reign for King William V, a fresh start and a clean slate for the monarchy after so much unhappiness and pain.This little island will light up end to end on that happy day,when Diana's son and look alike comes to the throne.Diana will be vindicated also.In leaving us her boys she may be the saving of the Windsors despite themselves yet.

Old 11-02-2005, 11:19 AM
Administrator in Memoriam

I have taken out the ridiculous and slanderous gossip posts.

'Startling allegations' will need be backed up with evidence, or the posts deleted. Simple.

Warren
Royal Forums SuperModerator

Old 11-02-2005, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Australian
i have a question. When King Edward got involved with Wallis Simpson, it was seen as an outrage with the people of Britain because she was a divorcee. Camilla is a divorcee so does that mean that Charles will have to abdicate if he does become King or does that mean he can never become King? I don't see any difference between Edward - Wallis and Charls-Camilla
As others said when this question was first posted, factors may have included far less public acceptance of divorce at the time, and the alleged Nazi sympathies of Wallis (and, by extension, Edward).

Another factor may be the age of the women involved. Wallis was, at 40, still of late childbearing age. Camilla, at 58, is presumably beyond childbearing years unless she takes advantage of certain modern technologies--but even if she did the children of the union would be behind William and Harry in succession. A child of the Edward-Wallis union would have been heir apparent or heir presumptive.

Public attitudes have changed since 1936 but I don't know that church attitudes have changed much. The church offered a delicate solution to the Camilla situation, to remain on the sidelines during the ceremony itself and then to bless the union after it became a fait accompli through a civil wedding. This solution works because the tricky question of whether the children of the union are legitimate in the church's eyes is unlikely to come up.

This solution would not have worked in 1936 because the possibility of children--and not only children, but children definitely first in line to rule--existed with Wallis. I believe there has been speculation that Wallis--childless despite being married, albeit to different men, almost all her adult life--suffered from a congenital defect making children impossible. But I don't think anyone knew this for sure in 1936. Edward and Wallis never had children, but no one in 1936 knew for sure that is how it would play out.
Old 11-02-2005, 10:33 PM
Heir Presumptive

The real problem in 1936 was the fact Wallis and Ernst Simpson had recently divorced under highly questionable circumstances. Also, unlike Charles, Edward was already King and Sovereign, which put a very tricky constitutional situation into play as to whether he was required to secure the approval of the Church and Prime Minister to marry. The opposition of Queen Mary to any possibility of marriage also played a large role.

The final nail in the coffin was when the news finally became public knowledge. It was quite clear within a week the British public was adamantly against Wallis becoming Queen Consort. Whether, with time and patience, Edward could have slowly won acceptance for Wallis as a royal consort, but not Queen, is debatable. What is clear is that the Government and Establishment had no intention of allowing the King to continue as Sovereign unless he gave up the idea of marriage.
Old 11-03-2005, 03:29 AM

There is no chance of the throne skipping a generation and passing to William directly except in the case where the Queen outlives Charles. Such a decision would be highly irregular and, if such a decision were going to be made at all during the Queen's lifetime, it would have already been made. The fact that a clear plan is in place for Camilla to assume the title of HRH The Princess Consort when Charles accedes means that there is no plan for him to renounce his claim to the throne. For Charles to assume the throne and then abdicate because of mild unpopularity would greatly weaken the monarchy, and I do not expect it to happen.

A minor point that I don't think anyone else has mentioned is that if the throne were to 'skip a generation', William would be King and Charles would be Duke of Edinburgh, thus depriving Edward of a title that he has been promised. This is yet another reason why it won't happen.

One issue that will need to be resolved is what role Camilla will play at Charles' coronation. If she is technically Queen, even though using another title, how will the coronation be handled?

Are there any circumstances, given the current makeup of the Royal Family, where the Princess of Wales would be entitled to higher precedence than the Duchess of Cornwall? How has that been handled when Camilla has been in attendance?
Old 11-03-2005, 09:33 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by David40
There is no chance of the throne skipping a generation and passing to William directly except in the case where the Queen outlives Charles. Such a decision would be highly irregular and, if such a decision were going to be made at all during the Queen's lifetime, it would have already been made. The fact that a clear plan is in place for Camilla to assume the title of HRH The Princess Consort when Charles accedes means that there is no plan for him to renounce his claim to the throne. For Charles to assume the throne and then abdicate because of mild unpopularity would greatly weaken the monarchy, and I do not expect it to happen.

A minor point that I don't think anyone else has mentioned is that if the throne were to 'skip a generation', William would be King and Charles would be Duke of Edinburgh, thus depriving Edward of a title that he has been promised. This is yet another reason why it won't happen.

One issue that will need to be resolved is what role Camilla will play at Charles' coronation. If she is technically Queen, even though using another title, how will the coronation be handled?

Are there any circumstances, given the current makeup of the Royal Family, where the Princess of Wales would be entitled to higher precedence than the Duchess of Cornwall? How has that been handled when Camilla has been in attendance?
Charles must be King under the Act of Settlement upon the death of his mother. It is automatic and without question. There is no chance of the throne skipping a generation unless Charles was completely incapacitated by health at the time of his succession.

The issue of Camilla's role when Charles becomes King is one that will have to be reconsidered by the Prime Minister and Parliament when the time comes. Unlike the present situation, Camilla cannot assume a style or title other than Queen Consort without legislation being passed by Parliament and the Commonwealth Crown countries affirming she will not be Queen.

The question was settled in 1936 and an Act of Exclusion would need to be passed. Then Charles as Sovereign could issue letters patent granting Camilla the style and title of Princess Consort with precedence ahead of all others princesses of the blood royal, similar to what was done in 1957 for Prince Philip.
Old 11-05-2005, 06:59 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan
There is no proof of any affair.

Royal Couples do not share bedrooms. The Queen's Bedroom is seperated from Prince Philip's by her dressing room and his dressing room. Prince Philip wasn't there when Michael Fagan broke in and whether he was or not, the Queen dealt with it very well on her own.
On the night of the intrusion to Buckingham Palace, HRH The Prince Philip had been attending engagements elsewhere, and due to the distance, was staying away from the palace. Her Majesty and His Royal Highness share a bedroom, as any other married couple. The seperate rooms are more in accordance with assisting HM and HRH's personal staff (which aren't the same).
Old 11-05-2005, 10:29 AM
Imperial Majesty

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by David40
There is no chance of the throne skipping a generation and passing to William directly except in the case where the Queen outlives Charles.
Technically Camilla is the Princess of Wales, so I don't really understand the question.:)
If after the coronation, Charles makes William the Prince of Wales, William's wife (as Princess of Wales) would not take precedence over Camilla, as the Queen consort.
You also asked about the difference between Wallis and Camilla, from what I have read in history books over the years, 2 of the problems not already mentioned here were that Wallis was:-
1. Twice divorced
2. She was an American.
According to my grand-mother, these things really mattered way back when.
Old 11-05-2005, 10:55 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by branchg
Diana used to call the Royal Family "those Germans" on a bad day.....LOL. A true English aristocrat I guess! Princess Marina used to call the Queen Mother and Princess Alice, "those common little Scottish girls". In Marina's world, the Queen was only half-royal.
As I understand, Diana was not a true English Aristocrat, she had American and Scottish blood lines.
Beatrixfan is quite right when she says a very small amount of scots want to be separated from the United Kingdom.
Old 11-05-2005, 08:27 PM
Gentry

i find it hard to reconcile the private person from the public figure sometimes. although we all have the right to choose whe we love and want to marry- as the figurehead of a nation the people are entitled to some input as to who will represent them. So I think it was justified for the people to protest Wallis or today Camilla. I also think King Edward was right in choosing one over the other. I think the problems begin when we think we can always have it all- which is not the case. the tragedy in that situation was that he did not think the consequences through thoroughly and suffered because of it. As much as they bemoan their status and the limitations, it would be a shock to be "common" for them. Not for a day but a lifetime as the saying goes- look at the DOW.The path the POW and DOC are on will be a long one and if she is never accepted then that is just the price they have to pay for their transgressions.
Old 11-05-2005, 09:29 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon
Technically Camilla is the Princess of Wales, so I don't really understand the question.:)
If after the coronation, Charles makes William the Prince of Wales, William's wife (as Princess of Wales) would not take precedence over Camilla, as the Queen consort.
You also asked about the difference between Wallis and Camilla, from what I have read in history books over the years, 2 of the problems not already mentioned here were that Wallis was:-
1. Twice divorced
2. She was an American.
According to my grand-mother, these things really mattered way back when.
Camilla is legally Princess of Wales, but styled as Duchess of Cornwall. Her official precedence in the UK is second after the Queen, but fourth in family terms because she has chosen to assume a lesser rank than Princess of Wales.

Once Charles becomes King, regardless of whether Camilla becomes Queen or Princess Consort, she would be the first lady in the land as the wife of the King. Her title or style has no bearing on her precedence once Charles is Sovereign.

With regard to Wallis Simpson, there wasn't any particular objection to her being American, although it probably would not have been a first choice among the British people. The main problem was she was very recently divorced under highly questionable circumstances and had already divorced once before that. Given the ban on divorce in the Church of England at the time, the King could not possibly marry a divorcee without a conflict in principle.
Old 11-06-2005, 03:26 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon
As I understand, Diana was not a true English Aristocrat, she had American and Scottish blood lines.
Beatrixfan is quite right when she says a very small amount of scots want to be separated from the United Kingdom.
As a friend of a Scotsman living in Scotland, I hear quite the reverse. There is a strong movement within Scotland to separate from England. The objection is not so much to the Royals, but to the English Prime Minister and government. Princess Anne is admired in Scotland for the charity work she does.

Also, is it so awful Diana had some American blood? Well, William and Harry have it now too. Does that make them less royal??
Old 11-06-2005, 04:02 AM
Imperial Majesty

I don't think Skydragon was saying that it was awful for Diana to have some American ancestors - the post just said that she wasn't entirely English.
Old 11-06-2005, 08:16 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiaraprin
As a friend of a Scotsman living in Scotland, I hear quite the reverse. There is a strong movement within Scotland to separate from England. The objection is not so much to the Royals, but to the English Prime Minister and government. Princess Anne is admired in Scotland for the charity work she does.
I hope for the United Kingdom to stay united, as a magnificent and unique country with rich history. Will the people of Scotland be less inclined to separatism in the future, when the Prime Minister will, in all likelihood, be a Caledonian? :) I hope so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiaraprin
Also, is it so awful Diana had some American blood? Well, William and Harry have it now too. Does that make them less royal??
I don't think it is somehow a bad thing; Churchill had some (actually, a lot of) American blood, too.
Old 11-06-2005, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mapple
I don't think it is somehow a bad thing; Churchill had some (actually, a lot of) American blood, too.
The Queen Mother also had "American blood"; she shared common descent with George Washington from Colonel Augustine Warner II of Virginia, d 1681.
Old 11-06-2005, 08:59 AM
Courtier

I doubt if they would actually have any "American Blood" left in them by now.lol.

Oh, and one mus'nt forget their greatly watered down Canadian blood connections either

"MII"
Old 11-06-2005, 07:43 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Camilla and I are distant cousins, through our common French-Canadian ancestors.
Old 11-07-2005, 07:23 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowabelle
Camilla and I are distant cousins, through our common French-Canadian ancestors.
How proud you must be that she's married well
Old 11-07-2005, 07:27 AM

very droll!

A point to you Von Schlesian.

:)
Old 11-07-2005, 07:33 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by branchg
Her official precedence in the UK is second after the Queen, but fourth in family terms because she has chosen to assume a lesser rank than Princess of Wales.
This statement is very unclear. In the order of precednace, HRH The Duchess of Cornwall is 4th. (1) HM The Queen (2) HRH The Prince Philip Duke of Edinburgh (3) HRH The Prince of Wales (4) HRH The Duchess of Cornwall. Whether Princess of Wales, or Duchess of Cornwall (or Duchess of Rothesay for that matter), the wife of the heir is always directly after their spouse.

There is no such thing as 'first lady' in The United Kingdom, that is a convention of the United States, where it should stay please.

Tags
prince charles, prince of wales