The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-20-2005, 08:49 PM
Administrator

Branchg...you are correct. I am sure the Queen and Prince Phillip speak it. All of his sisters married German princes if I am correct.

But still...my main point is....if you are born in a particular country and embrace it as your own...how long are you considered to be forgeign and not a native? Not trying to incite a riot...and maybe it has a place on another thread but here is my thought. The United States (except for the indigenous people of the land) is a country of immigrants...and after a generation or so you become an hyphen...An Italian-American, Irish-American, etc....you embrace aspects of your heritage but for all intents and purposes you are American (again this is in my utopian society...I realize its not always perfect.) It seems to me (and again, please correct me if I am wrong) that while your great great great grandmother was German...but the last THREE generations of your family were born in England...its silly to be referred as German! That's just my opinion...sorry if offends anyone.

Old 10-20-2005, 09:02 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk1189
The United States (except for the indigenous people of the land) is a country of immigrants...and after a generation or so you become an hyphen...An Italian-American, Irish-American, etc....you embrace aspects of your heritage but for all intents and purposes you are American.
Hi Zonk, the United States is unique among countries to use the place of birth as the defining factor in a child's nationality. Historically, the European countries have used the nationality of the father to determine the child's nationality. What you say is correct for Americans but not necessarily true for Brits.

I think someone said they don't use the father's nationality anymore but its ingrained in the Brit heritage to define the nationality by your paternal ancestors.

Old 10-20-2005, 09:16 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel
Hi Zonk, the United States is unique among countries to use the place of birth as the defining factor in a child's nationality. Historically, the European countries have used the nationality of the father to determine the child's nationality. What you say is correct for Americans but not necessarily true for Brits.

I think someone said they don't use the father's nationality anymore but its ingrained in the Brit heritage to define the nationality by your paternal ancestors.
That was me. I think both parents' nationality is taken into account these days. Not before time.
Old 10-20-2005, 09:34 PM
Administrator

Ysbel/Espeth..thanks for clearing that up! It just didn't make sense to me at first!
Old 10-20-2005, 11:51 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk1189
Branchg...you are correct. I am sure the Queen and Prince Phillip speak it. All of his sisters married German princes if I am correct.
Neither the Queen nor Prince Philip are particuarly fluent in German, although Philip definately has a better command of it. The Queen has excellent fluency in French however.
Old 10-21-2005, 01:25 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

This reminds me of something that has always bugged me. Alexandra was anti-German and I read somewhere about an argument between her and her brother-in-law, Ernst of Hesse at a family gathering.

Apparently they went back and forth, Ernst saying, 'Aber der war daenish." and Alexandra shot back Nein, der war deutsch. Alexandra apparently won the argument but I could never find out what it was about.

Is this just my imagination or did this really happen? I'd be really curious to find out what they were arguing about.
Old 10-21-2005, 01:27 PM

Re:

Ysbel,

I've heard that story before but I don't know the exact wording! I think that alot of European Royalty became very anti-German after WW1.
Old 10-21-2005, 01:57 PM
Administrator in Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan
I think that alot of European Royalty became very anti-German after WW1.
And well before WWI too. Alexandra never forgave the Prussian invasion and annexation of Schleswig-Holstein, where Denmark lost a sizeable chunk of its territory.
Old 10-23-2005, 09:53 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren
And well before WWI too. Alexandra never forgave the Prussian invasion and annexation of Schleswig-Holstein, where Denmark lost a sizeable chunk of its territory.
This is quite true. This territorial dispute came shortly after her marriage to the Prince of Wales and Alexandra was quite vocal in support for her native Denmark. She was on a royal visit to the Prussian area right after the dispute and refused to meet the Emperor and Empress of Prussia because she was so angry. Queen Victoria was "not amused" by Alexandra's anger and it caused some diplomatic problems for Queen Victoria. Alexandra was heavily prevailed upon to meet the Prussian Monarchs and finally succumbed, but she let it show she wasn't happy about it.
Old 10-23-2005, 10:06 AM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Thanks everybody. I'm quite aware why Alexandra hated the Prussians. It's my opinion that England's refusal to support Denmark in the dispute caused the real and lasting damage to Alexandra's and Edward's marriage, his extra-curricula activities notwithstanding. It looks like Alexandra never forgave that one. Being in the pro-German court with Victoria who loved anything and everything German must have been a living hell for Alexandra.

I'm just dying to find out what Alexandra and Ernst were arguing about. They were arguing in German and apparently arguing over whether someone or something was German or Danish. Ernst claimed it was Danish and Alexandra claimed it was German so it must not have been very nice.

Is there any more to the story?
Old 10-23-2005, 11:27 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
This reminds me of something that has always bugged me. Alexandra was anti-German and I read somewhere about an argument between her and her brother-in-law, Ernst of Hesse at a family gathering.

Apparently they went back and forth, Ernst saying, 'Aber der war daenish." and Alexandra shot back Nein, der war deutsch. Alexandra apparently won the argument but I could never find out what it was about.

Is this just my imagination or did this really happen? I'd be really curious to find out what they were arguing about.
Are you talking about Queen Alexandra of Britain? She was his aunt by marriage, wasn't she?
I had always been under the impression that this conversation most likely took place between herself and her nephew-in-in-law the Kaiser Wilhem II of Germany, who was the thorn at every Royal gathering.
Old 10-23-2005, 11:37 AM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by caroline mathilda
Are you talking about Queen Alexandra of Britain? She was his aunt by marriage, wasn't she?
I had always been under the impression that this conversation most likely took place between herself and her nephew-in-in-law the Kaiser Wilhem II of Germany, who was the thorn at every Royal gathering.
Hi Caroline, yes we're talking about Queen Alexandra. Wilhelm II was definitely 'bad Willy' of the family :) but the story I read definitely concerned Alexandra's brother-in-law, Grand Duke Ernst of Hesse, husband of Princess Alice and father to Alexandra Feodorovna the last Empress of Russia.
Old 10-23-2005, 01:32 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Thanks everybody. I'm quite aware why Alexandra hated the Prussians. It's my opinion that England's refusal to support Denmark in the dispute caused the real and lasting damage to Alexandra's and Edward's marriage, his extra-curricula activities notwithstanding. ...
IIRC Britain supported Denmark in the Schleswig-Holstein question; the Court, however, did not.
Old 11-01-2005, 10:00 AM

Re:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Wellesley
... removed by Warren...
There is no proof of any affair.

Quote:
]Where was he when Michael Fagan broke into her bedroom, and sat on her bed?
Royal Couples do not share bedrooms. The Queen's Bedroom is seperated from Prince Philip's by her dressing room and his dressing room. Prince Philip wasn't there when Michael Fagan broke in and whether he was or not, the Queen dealt with it very well on her own.
Old 11-01-2005, 07:51 PM
Nobility

Talking

I'm sure that Phillip and The Queen don't share a room , but I'm sure the others do.
Old 11-01-2005, 07:53 PM

Re:

Not according to Brian Hoey.

All members of the Royal Family have seperate bedrooms within the Royal Palaces and very few have them at their private homes.
Old 11-01-2005, 08:10 PM
Royal Highness

He does have a separate, single bed in case he gets back late from a separate engagement in his dressing room. But according to Majesty Magazine from June 2002, the Queen's Special Golden Jubilee edition main story, they do share a bedroom and bed, always have.
Old 11-01-2005, 08:52 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

I find it very hard to believe that the Queen had affairs that resulted in the births of her last two children.

If the Queen and Prince Philip share a bedroom they would be very unlike other couples of their age and class who generally were raised to expect separate bedrooms. I'm not doubting Majesty magazine; it would just be an unusual situation. I remember the furor that Betty Ford caused when she wanted to share the same bedroom in the White House with her husband. This was as late as the 70s! Some old Washington society matrons went into shock!
Old 11-01-2005, 11:14 PM
Courtier

Quote:
I find it very hard to believe that the Queen had affairs that resulted in the births of her last two children.
Here Here...

"MII"
Old 11-01-2005, 11:43 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
....deleted by Warren .... Where was he when Michael Fagan broke into her bedroom, and sat on her bed?
This is ridiculous and old hat gossip. There has never been one iota of evidence that Philip has ever had an affair in all the years of their marriage and the relationship with Alexandra has long been one of friendship. The Queen understood that Philip needed to be his own man in the marriage and have lady friends of his own. That doesn't mean he slept with them!

There is no "question mark" about Andrew or Edward's paternity. Give me a break.

Closed Thread

Tags
prince charles, prince of wales