Will Charles Ever Reign?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Either the Queen or Charles as King could be deemed as incapacitated and a permanent regent would be appointed. In that case, the Prince of Wales doesn't become King but becomes Prince Regent.This is what happened to George IV when George III fell into his terminal stage of porphyria. George IV did not become King until his father died.

Charles would probably be chosen regent if the Queen were incapacitated because he's been around awhile and knows the ropes; I don't know if William would be created regent if Charles were incapacitated. It depends on how much experience he has at the time Charles became incapacitated.

No I don't think there is any way to take him out other than marrying a Catholic or changing religion (I am right in saying that you have to be of the Church of England to be King ?)
I
f he ascends the throne and mentally incompetent then there is a provision to have a Regent (most likely William). As in the case of George III.

If he does Abdicate an Act would have to be passed in all the Parliament of the realm (Canada, Australia, New Zealand ect.)

Elspeth said:
Hypothetically speaking, of course - is there no way he could take himself out of the line of succession during the present reign other than by becoming or marrying a Catholic?
No way except of amending or repealing the Act of Settlement.

ysbel said:
Charles would probably be chosen regent if the Queen were incapacitated because he's been around awhile and knows the ropes; I don't know if William would be created regent if Charles were incapacitated. It depends on how much experience he has at the time Charles became incapacitated.
According to the Regency Act 1937 Charles would be appointed regent if his mother were incpacitated; the same holds for William in case of King Charles's incapacity.

magnik said:
What about bad health condition? (I don't wish him any illnesses!)

Wow, are you a pessimist. I hope he and Camilla have a long and happy life!:)

Mapple said:
No way except of amending or repealing the Act of Settlement.

Correct. Theroetically, he could execute a Renunciation of Succession Rights in favor of William before the Queen's death, but only if Parliament agreed and passed an Act confirming Charles was no longer eligible to succeed under the Act of Settlement.

Mapple said:
According to the Regency Act 1937 Charles would be appointed regent if his mother were incpacitated; the same holds for William in case of King Charles's incapacity.

Thanks for clarifying that Mapple. :)

Correct. Theroetically, he could execute a Renunciation of Succession Rights in favor of William before the Queen's death, but only if Parliament agreed and passed an Act confirming Charles was no longer eligible to succeed under the Act of Settlement.

This would be the biggest problem in my opinion. Not only would it have to go through the UK parilament but also all the realms. If it was brought up they would be a huge debate about just ending the monarchy in general. That is why I think in any case it is a bad idea for any of the Parliaments to get invovled, abdication or ending the male perfered system. (I like the Queen on my money :) )

Skydragon said:
Wow, are you a pessimist. I hope he and Camilla have a long and happy life!:)

I'm not a pessimist but I hypothetical considering about that what could "disturb" or "help" him to be a king some day. :) Nothing more!!!:mad: I don't wish no one a death or illnesses!

magnik said:
I'm not a pessimist but I hypothetical considering about that what could "disturb" or "help" him to be a king some day. :) Nothing more!!!:mad: I don't wish no one a death or illnesses!

I know you don't.:) I just have a horror of 'what if', my problem, not yours.:)

BeatrixFan said:
Well, the age for retirement for a men and women is 62. It was 65 for men and 60 for women but that was changed. But those rules don't apply for members of the Royal Family - it's a job for life.

I just saw on the news that the retirement age is 60 for women and 65 for men. The government are talking of putting it up to 67 for both. Just to cheer you up!:)

magnik said:
NOOO!!! I don't wish Charles or anybody death! Lossing someonewho you love is terrible. I've just wondering will Charles be some day a ruler or not.

No, Charles will never be King of England. I like to read about his theories about so many fields of life, he is a smart man, but I don't think he has enough Value to be King. People love Queen Elizabeth and Williams is venerate for almost everyone. By contrary, Charles is a very insecure man, and I don't think people like him a lot... I know to all his fans he is great, and his wife is just gorgeous... but for the public in general, I think he doesn't have charisma and tact to lead with them. Camilla doesn't help him at all. When I look at her I always think how can she sleeps every night. If I did all the thing she did to another person (like she did to Diana) I would feel regrets all my life. The way people said Goodbye to Diana only happends with Queens. And no matter what Camilla do, she will never be loved like Diana was. Camilla can be respected and accepted, but will never be Loved. Diana is and will always be a present Shadow in Charles's life and she will remains forever in England's memory.
These are my reasons for not believe he will be King.

Regina said:
No, Charles will never be King of England. I like to read about his theories about so many fields of life, he is a smart man, but I don't think he has enough Value to be King. People love Queen Elizabeth and Williams is venerate for almost everyone. By contrary, Charles is a very insecure man, and I don't think people like him a lot... I know to all his fans he is great, and his wife is just gorgeous... but for the public in general, I think he doesn't have charisma and tact to lead with them. Camilla doesn't help him at all. When I look at her I always think how can she sleeps every night. If I did all the thing she did to another person (like she did to Diana) I would feel regrets all my life. The way people said Goodbye to Diana only happends with Queens. And no matter what Camilla do, she will never be loved like Diana was. Camilla can be respected and accepted, but will never be Loved. Diana is and will always be a present Shadow in Charles's life and she will remains forever in England's memory.

I echo these sentiments.

Last edited:
Regina said:
but for the public in general, I think he doesn't have charisma and tact to lead with them. Camilla doesn't help him at all. When I look at her I always think how can she sleeps every night. If I did all the thing she did to another person (like she did to Diana) I would feel regrets all my life..

Hello Regina,

Let me share with you a few facts. In a hereditary monarchy, Kings don't need to have charisma, they need to be the eldest son and heir of the monarch. Its the way the system works. That's it, period. End of story. If you don't like it, you need an elected President not a King or Queen.

As far as what Camilla did to Diana, well Diana did a lot of things to herself, and there are enough people who are tired of Camilla being crucified on the altar of Diana to make Charles and Camilla a very welcome couple to the BRF and heirs to the throne.

Thank You Ysbel. Im a bit tired of having to remind people the reality of the situation. Diana did some horrible things to others and to herself dont you forget. Diana is history. HISTORY. She will be remebered for her work and celebrity. Charles and Camilla dont need to work their daily life and future around Diana. No one else does so why them.

Although in the past all that was needed to become King was to be the eldest - as all monarchies are coming under scrutiny, some more than others - the requirements of the sitting and next generation royal heads will become much more defined. What the requirements will be no one knows at this time. They will need to find such a unique role and niche that the people will identify with it enough to be willing to keep funding it. The next 4-5 decades will be very interesting as the current Kings and Queens will undoubtedly pass on and the next generation take over. I certainly hope the monarchies survive and even some of the deposed revived. An unrealistic and romantic view but one can always dream.

Regina said:

AMEN, may be diana is History but William is future and thanks god, he is more like his mother that his father.

Sorry to burst your bubble corazon but William takes after his father a lot more than his mother. He may look like his mother but he is his fathers son.

Charles will be King of England, William does look like his mother but I am seeing alot of Charles in his features now, and his traits are very much Charles.

The way he interacts with the public (especially young children and the elderly) is very much Diana.

"MII"

william is a man of his time, does not live in a bubble like charles, he is close to the people, is informal and he have charisma.

Charles has his faults, but living in a bubble is not one of them. His Prince's Trust has helped thousand of young, underprivileged people for quarter centry. He was talking about organic farming and urban planning with environmental appeal ages before they are fashionable causes. In some measure, he has been ahead of times and completely aware of the privileges he was born into.

Charles is ahead of his time but people are too arrogant to realise it. HE talks about balance and life and useing technology wisely. Those are very smart things. If people listened to him there would be less illnesses and less problems in the world. William hasnt really shown himself to be charismatic. I dont know where you got that from. He interacts with the crowd but then again so does Camilla, its what the new royals do. Im not saying william isnt charismatic but he hasnt shown it yet.

I would like to say, Charles would be much confident, natural, and comfortable with Camilla by his side. Camilla is not there to upstage him but there to support him. By Charles at her side, Camilla will be glad present in the public as well. They two are both media-shy people, but obviously they can support each other in front of the public. That's good for them.
I feel sorry for Prince Charles because people always mocks his ideas but I would say he is ahead of our time. Because he is born on such a priviledged position, so he is more able to think more than ordinary people. He can develop a long term view about the world. He is a deep thinker even a loner. I will be very glad when he becomes the King. I think he tries his best to deliver the good to his people and his country, and the world like what he promised in his investure. But I think he is right and people may appreciate him more when he is gone. :(

Last edited:
Regina said:
No, Charles will never be King of England.

Sure he will.

I like to read about his theories about so many fields of life, he is a smart man, but I don't think he has enough Value to be King. People love Queen Elizabeth and Williams is venerate for almost everyone.

No he isn't. He's venerated by Diana fans because he looks like Diana and has some of her mannerisms, and they're seeing his reign as the reign of Diana's son, not as the reign of one of the Windsors. But venerated by almost everyone? No way.

By contrary, Charles is a very insecure man, and I don't think people like him a lot... I know to all his fans he is great, and his wife is just gorgeous... but for the public in general, I think he doesn't have charisma and tact to lead with them.

Charisma isn't necessary. George VI didn't have charisma, and I'm not sure that the present Queen does. Charisma can be downright dangerous, especially when abused.

Camilla doesn't help him at all. When I look at her I always think how can she sleeps every night. If I did all the thing she did to another person (like she did to Diana) I would feel regrets all my life.

No doubt she thought she was being supportive of a very dear friend who was in a nightmare of a marriage with someone who was too unstable and immature to be the sort of wife he needed, quite apart from the matters of the age difference and the lack of anything much in common. There were faults on every side of that relationship, as well as with peripheral players like Diana and Charles's immediate families. It wasn't all Camilla's fault.

The way people said Goodbye to Diana only happends with Queens.

Not at all. People didn't say goodbye to the Queen Mother like that. The way people said goodbye to Diana happens with icons, not queens.

And no matter what Camilla do, she will never be loved like Diana was. Camilla can be respected and accepted, but will never be Loved. Diana is and will always be a present Shadow in Charles's life and she will remains forever in England's memory.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with being respected and accepted. As long as she's loved by Charles, I don't suppose she minds whether other people think she's lovable or not.

Princejonnhy25 said:
Thank You Ysbel. Im a bit tired of having to remind people the reality of the situation. Diana did some horrible things to others and to herself dont you forget. Diana is history. HISTORY. She will be remebered for her work and celebrity. Charles and Camilla dont need to work their daily life and future around Diana. No one else does so why them.

My sentiments entirely. Thank you both.:)

Thanks Corazon :) and tiaraprin.

A good king doesn't need to have charisma, but it helps. And helps very much, specially when someone gave so many scandals like Charles did.
Maybe Diana is Past (a past still alive, but past), but Charles and Camilla are present. And they will never be dissociated of what happened with Diana. So, Diana will always be "present" too.

Charisma is very important in a monarchy today. Kings don't make Laws anymore, so they exist to give Example, bring Joy and Love to their People. That's a very hard work when you don't have a drop of interest and charisma to the majority of people. That's why the Grand-Dukes of Luxembourg, the Dutch Crown Princes, or the Crown Princes of Denmark are so beloved! They all have "elan", self-confidence, and charisma. That's why they represent so well their countries abroad and that's why their monarchy have so popularity. If charles (and Camilla) don't have any of these qualities, most British won't see them as an asset to Britain. If Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philipe, Charles's own parents, never seemed to trust a lot in his capacities, what credibility can he gives to the Monarchy?

I agree with Grevinnan, the rules for sucession will change in all european reigning houses.
Like Ysbel said when people don't like the fact the eldest son (and the Heir will be the king), they seek for a Republic, and that's what will going to happend in England. (IMO, it's already happening).
The republicans will be stronger than ever when after the death of Queen Elizabeth II the debate about sucession starts.

I really think the future king will be William, who most people do adore. But let's wait and see, Future will tell who was right about this. :)

I find it interesting that some people seem to believe fervently that William is the savior of the monarchy and would be a wonderful king, yet he is a very young adult who has no accomplishments to speak of. He is not prepared in any way for the throne. He is not ready for a lifetime of duty and loss of personal freedom. He is still growing up and finding his character.

A monarchy is above politics and popularity contests. Once you start playing around with the concept of a hereditary throne, it's time to bury it once and for all.

Regina said:
Thanks Corazon :) and tiaraprin.

A good king doesn't need to have charisma, but it helps. And helps very much, specially when someone gave so many scandals like Charles did.

Let's not exagerrate. Charles had one affair with one woman. That's hardly so many scandals.

Maybe Diana is Past (a past still alive, but past), but Charles and Camilla are present. And they will never be dissociated of what happened with Diana. So, Diana will always be "present" too.

Diana will be present as was Crown Princess Margaret of Sweden and Queen Astrid of Belgium, two royal ladies who tragically died before their time leaving young children. They are fondly remembered to this day. There is no reason why Diana should not remembered in the same way.

Charisma is very important in a monarchy today. Kings don't make Laws anymore, so they exist to give Example, bring Joy and Love to their People. That's a very hard work when you don't have a drop of interest and charisma to the majority of people. That's why the Grand-Dukes of Luxembourg, the Dutch Crown Princes, or the Crown Princes of Denmark are so beloved! They all have "elan", self-confidence, and charisma.

Willem-Alexander does not have one ounce of charisma. I like the guy, quite fond of him actually but he's been chastized in the press for being boring and clumsy-looking. The trip to the U.S. was considered highly successful because for the first time in a long time, the trip of a Prince of Wales actually focused on the events and people around C&C and not the couple themselves. In New Orleans, the coverage focused on the brave men and women who have struggled to bring their lives back together. In California, the coverage contained frank but intelligent discussions of whether organic farming could be a viable option in today's economy. If C&C had had charisma, we'd have been treated to simply another celebrity event.

If Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philipe, Charles's own parents, never seemed to trust a lot in his capacities, what credibility can he gives to the Monarchy?

The Queen has been delegating a lot of her responsibilities to Charles for a long time now. She no longer does the investitures and he's sat at the head of the Privy Council since age 18. She would not have let Charles and Camilla go by themselves to a trip on the U.S. and the White House if she didn't trust them.

I agree with Grevinnan, the rules for sucession will change in all european reigning houses.
Like Ysbel said when people don't like the fact the eldest son (and the Heir will be the king), they seek for a Republic, and that's what will going to happend in England. (IMO, it's already happening).
The republicans will be stronger than ever when after the death of Queen Elizabeth II the debate about sucession starts.

The republicans will use whatever weapon they have against the monarchy. They don't care about Charles or William, they just want to get rid of the monarchy. If its not Charles' past, it will be Williams youth and inexperience. Charles is a grown man; he can handle people's discomfort with his past. William has not learned the ropes yet, he'll be a sitting duck for any republican-minded government.

Skydragon said:
I know you don't.:) I just have a horror of 'what if', my problem, not yours.:)
I know:) it's terrible and somehow fascinating talking about what would happen if/what if... etc.:) It never end.

Greetings:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Regina said:
If charles (and Camilla) don't have any of these qualities, most British won't see them as an asset to Britain. If Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philipe, Charles's own parents, never seemed to trust a lot in his capacities, what credibility can he gives to the Monarchy?
I really think the future king will be William, who most people do adore. But let's wait and see, Future will tell who was right about this. :)

The British have on the whole, always seen Charles as an asset to Britain, more and more are also accepting Camilla as an asset as well.
Where on earth did you get the idea that the Queen and Prince Phillip don't trust in his abilities?:confused:
The choice of who will be King is not open to debate, the future King will be Charles or no one at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom