Um, yes - very British, I must say...
.lol.lol.lol.

"MII"

Old 10-19-2005, 08:39 AM
Courtier

I thought I may provide this section from:

Rovert Lacey's ROYAL - Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II

It states; I quote.

Early in 1960, Harold Macmillian arrived at Sandringham for an audience with the Queen and bumped into her Colonel Mustard like uncle, the portly Duke of Gloucester, who seemed greatly disturbed.

'Thank heavens you've come, Prime Minister. the Queen's in a terrible state; there's a fellow called Jones in the billiards room who wants to marry her sister, and Prince Philip's in the library wanting to change the family name to Mountbatten.'

Always fond of a good story, the Prime Minister had managed to combine in his Cluedo-like anecdote the resolution of the two great family problems that had marred the beginning of the reign. Making clear that it was her own idea, and that her husband did not know what she was planning, the Queen asked the Cabinet to approve compromise. Kings, queens, princes and princesses do not actually use surnames. These are needed only for those not in the direct line of succession. So while, as Macmillan put it, 'the name of the House, Family and Dynasty (is) to be Windsor - the name of any "de-royalised"grandson etc., of the Queen and Prince Philip is to be "Mountbatten-Windsor".'

In nowdays, it seems that the name Mountbatten-Windsor is used by more than "de-royalised" members of Her Majesty and His Royal Highnesses family, but there is no doubt that upon Charles' succession that he shall infact retain the dynastic name of Windsor.

Is anyone aware of what the Prince of Wales signed on his marriage register second time round?

"MII"

Old 10-19-2005, 09:10 AM

Re:

The House of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glucksburg

If only it would! The British Royal Family should show their ancestry in their name and stop hiding behind this silly PC surname of Windsor. We should be living under the House of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glucksburg not the House of Windsor - Charles really should change the Royal House name. The sooner the Windsor chapter closes, the better in my opinion.
There's too many nasty connotations.
Old 10-19-2005, 09:18 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margrethe II
Is anyone aware of what the Prince of Wales signed on his marriage register second time round?
I believe it was Mountbatten-Windsor.
Old 10-19-2005, 09:47 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by branchg
I believe it was Mountbatten-Windsor.
Thankyou branchg :)

"MII"
Old 10-19-2005, 11:42 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan
The House of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glucksburg

If only it would! The British Royal Family should show their ancestry in their name and stop hiding behind this silly PC surname of Windsor. We should be living under the House of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glucksburg not the House of Windsor - Charles really should change the Royal House name. The sooner the Windsor chapter closes, the better in my opinion.
There's too many nasty connotations.
I wonder how the rest of England, Scotland, Northern Ireland, and Wales would take to that. Scotland doesn't wish to be part of Great Britain anymore, and Wales has an anti-monarchy faction. I would love to see how many more anti-monarchists would join over a German name. I myself am part German, and I even get comments here in the states for having German blood. I wonder what the Sovereign's subjects would say.
Old 10-19-2005, 12:33 PM

Re:

I wonder how the rest of England, Scotland, Northern Ireland, and Wales would take to that.

The Government are adamant to bring in cultures etc from other countries - if the Royal Family have a German/Danish name then they should use it and bring cultural traits from Germany and Denmark into British Society.

Scotland doesn't wish to be part of Great Britain anymore

A group of Scots don't wish to be part of Great Britain. The majority may feel a whimsy different.

Wales has an anti-monarchy faction

With respect, so does England, Northern Ireland and Belize for that matter - it doesn't mean that the Monarchy is going to fall around our heads.

I would love to see how many more anti-monarchists would join over a German name. I myself am part German, and I even get comments here in the states for having German blood. I wonder what the Sovereign's subjects would say

Basically, it's this ignorance about Germany that we still have. We're anti-German because we're British - in fact, we're anti-Nazi not Anti-German. We owe alot to the Germans and even more to the Danes, the Dutch etc etc. Bowing to the skinhead faction who will never like the RF because they have money and the skinheads don't really won't do anyone any favours. This Windsor farce is just too much. Mountbatten is a little better but the Royal Family should have an equally Royal sounding name.
Old 10-19-2005, 01:58 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiaraprin
I wonder how the rest of England, Scotland, Northern Ireland, and Wales would take to that. Scotland doesn't wish to be part of Great Britain anymore, and Wales has an anti-monarchy faction. I would love to see how many more anti-monarchists would join over a German name. I myself am part German, and I even get comments here in the states for having German blood. I wonder what the Sovereign's subjects would say.
Well, the fact is the Royal Family is German and has been since 1714. Yes, there are English and Scottish bloodlines as well, but the majority of the royal blood is Germanic.

You could even argue most of the British people are, in fact, of ancient German ancestry. Going back to the end of the Roman Empire, Britian was conquered by the Saxon Kings of Wessex, who were emerged supreme over various Germanic tribes. The monarchy began with King Egbert shortly thereafter and flowed onwards to today.
Old 10-19-2005, 04:24 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Well, the fact is the Royal Family is German and has been since 1714. Yes, there are English and Scottish bloodlines as well, but the majority of the royal blood is Germanic.
But it's getting less Germanic by the minute. William must be half English and an eighth Scottish, as well as some Russian? And how likely is he to marry a German wife?
Old 10-19-2005, 06:24 PM
Heir Presumptive

The Current Queen is half Scottish and half German. Prince Charles is part Scottish, part Danish, part German. William is mostly english and scottish and danish. There is not much German blood left.
Old 10-19-2005, 07:44 PM
Heir Presumptive

Diana used to call the Royal Family "those Germans" on a bad day.....LOL. A true English aristocrat I guess! Princess Marina used to call the Queen Mother and Princess Alice, "those common little Scottish girls". In Marina's world, the Queen was only half-royal.
Old 10-20-2005, 04:40 AM
Administrator in Memoriam

Quote:
Diana used to call the Royal Family "those Germans" on a bad day.....LOL. A true English aristocrat I guess! Princess Marina used to call the Queen Mother and Princess Alice, "those common little Scottish girls". In Marina's world, the Queen was only half-royal.
And of course there were those (Germans and the Prince of Wales's daughters) who looked down on Princess May of Teck because not only was she a mere Serene Highness, but she belonged to a morganatic branch of the House of Württemberg. Needless to say, Queen Mary, Empress of India, had the last laugh.
Old 10-20-2005, 10:07 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren
And of course there were those (Germans and the Prince of Wales's daughters) who looked down on Princess May of Teck because not only was she a mere Serene Highness, but she belonged to a morganatic branch of the House of Württemberg. Needless to say, Queen Mary, Empress of India, had the last laugh.
I always thought it was a bit odd the German ducal houses and principalities looked down on May of Teck because her paternal grandfather married a Hungarian countess. After all, her mother was HRH Princess Mary of Cambridge and a grandaughter of George III.

Evidently, Queen Victoria thought the German royal houses were ridiculous and I think one of her daughters once attended a Prussian court gathering and had to go in behind her husband because of their complicated rules of protocol. She told her mother she was never going to a Prussian imperial gathering again!
Old 10-20-2005, 05:45 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren

Yes, Alexandra and her daughters would make fun of Queen Mary by saying "May with her Wurttenberg hands" emphasizing her morganatic blood. May was only half royal to them because of Mary Adelaide's direct descent from George III.
Old 10-20-2005, 05:50 PM
Administrator

Does the current Royal Family even speak German? No to disrespect to Germany or anything...but they (the Royals) have lived, spoke and been and born English for at least 100 years (just going back to Queen Victoria) and they are still considered foreigners? What's the measure of an Englishman/person? I mean at some respect...we were all immigrants at one time or another.
Old 10-20-2005, 05:52 PM
Imperial Majesty

According to one of her biographies, Queen Mary was in danger of not ever marrying because back then royalty didn't marry commoners, even members of the nobility, and her morganatic background meant that she wasn't "good enough" for the various princes and dukes of the German royal houses. It's lucky for her that Queen Victoria was more open-minded than some of these German royals and that character as well as background mattered to her.
Old 10-20-2005, 05:54 PM
Administrator

In addition to my previous post, please note the following:

Writer H.G. Wells wrote about Britain's "alien and uninspiring court", and George famously replied: "I may be uninspiring, but I'll be damned if I'm alien."

Please note that the George was King George V.

I apologize if the quote offends anyone!
Old 10-20-2005, 06:25 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth
According to one of her biographies, Queen Mary was in danger of not ever marrying because back then royalty didn't marry commoners, even members of the nobility, and her morganatic background meant that she wasn't "good enough" for the various princes and dukes of the German royal houses. It's lucky for her that Queen Victoria was more open-minded than some of these German royals and that character as well as background mattered to her.
That biographer was James Pope Hennessy, and he was her official biographer I believe.
Old 10-20-2005, 06:39 PM
Imperial Majesty

Thanks, Tiaraprin; I couldn't remember if it was the official biography I'd read it in or one of the other books about her.
Old 10-20-2005, 08:47 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk1189
Does the current Royal Family even speak German? No to disrespect to Germany or anything...but they (the Royals) have lived, spoke and been and born English for at least 100 years (just going back to Queen Victoria) and they are still considered foreigners? What's the measure of an Englishman/person? I mean at some respect...we were all immigrants at one time or another.
The Duke of Windsor was very fluent in German as was his mother, Queen Mary. I believe they were the last members of the royal family to be truly comfortable with the language, although I'm sure the Queen and Prince Philip both can get by.

Closed Thread

Tags
prince charles, prince of wales