The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-12-2005, 06:42 PM
Imperial Majesty

The Privy Council isn't the same thing as the Counsellors of State; there are a lot more members of the Privy Council, and they meet when the Queen is in the country, they don't just act when she's away.

Old 10-12-2005, 06:45 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth
The Privy Council isn't the same thing as the Counsellors of State; there are a lot more members of the Privy Council, and they meet when the Queen is in the country, they don't just act when she's away.
But I think the Counsellors of State are a subset of the Privy Council, right, Elspeth?

Old 10-12-2005, 06:59 PM

Re:

Oh, yes - the Queen Mum had the cutting-ribbons thing down to a fine art.

Really, the public appearances must get awfully boring; the Queen Mother had the great talent of never letting it show.

Definately! She was a legend. I couldn't look excited and cheerful every time I was sent to meet boring people and christen ships. She must have been terribly bored - she was a real treasure and I don't dispute that. But once she'd done the legal bit - she did become a waver and little else.
Old 10-12-2005, 07:23 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan
I hope you don't think that those of us who live in other realms shouldn't also be considered when you say 'it's we Brits who should make the decision and not the outsiders who like to watch'. Afterall any decision affects us as much as the Brits.
Not at all. I'm all for those abroad taking an interest - I do it myself with many Monarchies but it's wrong for Americans, Lithuanians, Slovakians or any other non-commonwealth individual to say things like, "He shouldn't be King" because it won't affect them in the slightest and if we think he's good enough to be King then thats all there is to it.

Remember this is a global society and we all take an interest in what is going on in other countries. As is human nature, people express all sorts of opinions on issues which might not directly concern them. Ig, "everybody" has an opinion on political issues in the States even those which might not have international impact.
Old 10-12-2005, 07:30 PM

Re:

Remember this is a global society and we all take an interest in what is going on in other countries.

I don't think I made myself clear. I take an interest in the Danish Monarchy. But I wouldn't dream of saying, "Prince Frederik shouldn't be King - he isn't good enough etc etc".Because I'm not a Danish citizen and it has nothing to do with me whatsoever, however big my interest is.

There's a big difference between taking an interest in another country and interfering. So, although you're entitled to your views on things that happen in Britain, if you don't live here, I'd find it a little bit irritating to hear you saying things like 'Charles won't be a good King' or 'Britain deserves better' because thats for us to decide. Not foreigners will a interest in Royalty. :p
Old 10-12-2005, 07:43 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
There's a big difference between taking an interest in another country and interfering. So, although you're entitled to your views on things that happen in Britain, if you don't live here, I'd find it a little bit irritating to hear you saying things like 'Charles won't be a good King' or 'Britain deserves better' because thats for us to decide. Not foreigners will a interest in Royalty. :p
I hardly think that expressing one's opinion is interfering.

If "foreigners" with an interest in royalty who are thus rendering their views are such an irritant, being on a Royal discussion board as this must be particularly dreadful for those with a monarchy. :)
Old 10-12-2005, 09:03 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by caroline mathilda
If "foreigners" with an interest in royalty who are thus rendering their views are such an irritant, being on a Royal discussion board as this must be particularly dreadful for those with a monarchy. :)
caroline mathilda, I have to hand it to you. You're a master at your craft always with 'le mot juste'! Your only loss is being born 200 years after the grand court of Marie Antoinette which would have given your gifts their true and proper glory. Alas, you have to make do with the poor wits of us mortals.
Old 10-12-2005, 09:20 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by caroline mathilda
I hardly think that expressing one's opinion is interfering.

Could'nt have said it better Caroline Mathilda :) Perfectly expressed with every word. I agree with ysbel, you would have been such an influential face at the Court of Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette.

Keep on doing what it is you do because you do it brilliantly!

"MII"
Old 10-12-2005, 09:40 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margrethe II
Keep on doing what it is you do because you do it brilliantly!

"MII"
Ah margrethe II, I see someone else who loves to play the game! yes brilliant is certainly one word for it. You see it is only an innocent game if we all know the game we're playing. As long as we all know, no one can get hurt.

So play on, dear ladies, and let the best wit win!
Old 10-13-2005, 01:06 AM
Imperial Majesty

I think everybody in these discussions is entitled to express their opinion about the topics as long as they do so within the forum rules and guidelines. Equally, people are entitled to ignore the posts of anyone whose opinions they don't feel are relevant.
Old 10-13-2005, 07:13 AM
Administrator in Memoriam

And to think that only yesterday I was looking at this thread - now 26 pages long - and waiting for a hiatus so that I could close it and open part 2.

So I return to the Boards today and find another two pages! Raging debate! Diana! Evita! Foreigners out! Gauntlets thrown! Plus apologies, politeness, civility, self-edited posts,
and a lot of good humour.

Ain't the British Forums grand?

:) W
Old 10-13-2005, 08:27 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren
And to think that only yesterday I was looking at this thread - now 26 pages long - and waiting for a hiatus so that I could close it and open part 2.

So I return to the Boards today and find another two pages! Raging debate! Diana! Evita! Foreigners out! Gauntlets thrown! Plus apologies, politeness, civility, self-edited posts,
and a lot of good humour.

Ain't the British Forums grand?

:) W
So very well put Warren... so very well put

"MII"
Old 10-13-2005, 08:29 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idriel
Beatrix fan: Now that Charles is 'freed' from Diana, he is not much more popular. And not just because of the whole Camilla story. He is often described as arrogant, remote, out of touch, self-centered and uncharismatic (and did gave much display of these traits of character IMO). So I don't think his star would have shinned brightly with or without Di at his side.
Also, Charles is 50 (or more?), he is not going to learn anything now, nor he is going to change. The Charles we see today will be the King the Brits will have (or not...). It's like Marmite: Love it or Hate it (not literally obviously).

Prince Jonnhy: humm... Evita over Diana? How interesting... A woman who won her way to power by sleeping around with moneyed men (and it's not the sleeping around part which annoy me), the wife of a blood thirsty dictator, who used to used large part of her 'charity money' to buy tons of furs (such a necessity in cold Argentina don't you think?) and expensive jewels, who welcomed Nazi in Argentina after the collapse of Germany? Whatever... to each its one.

Branchq: knowing (and respecting) your views on Diana, I admire your post. It is great IMO.

Bravo to you Idriel!!!!! This "Diana Nut" applauds you!
Old 10-13-2005, 08:40 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiaraprin
Bravo to you Idriel!!!!! This "Diana Nut" applauds you!
I endeavour to please, Tiaraprin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margrethe II
So very well put Warren... so very well put
Indeed, indeed.

Old 10-13-2005, 08:48 AM

Re:

I'm British and I know when I'm not going to win. So I'm backing away now!

(Sound of Reversing Lorry)
Old 10-13-2005, 08:51 AM
Courtier

Quote:

You forgot to mention humourous as well BeatrixFan

"MII"
Old 10-13-2005, 09:12 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:

No, No, No!!! Stay and Play!!

CM
Old 10-13-2005, 11:03 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:

Lorry? On this forum? My dear, how irredeemably middle class.

Surely you meant "reversing coach and four" or "reversing Range Rover" or something a little more in keeping with the image.
Old 10-13-2005, 11:26 AM

Re:

I do apologise! It will of course be my Bently that reverses. Failing that, it'll be Hudson in the Rolls.
Old 10-13-2005, 11:55 AM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

You guys are fun! I live in Manhattan so all I can do is tell the taxi driver to do a quick reverse! (which they do on occasion all the way up Park Avenue!)

Closed Thread

Tags
prince charles, prince of wales