Will Charles Ever Reign?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
just my opinion: I think if William keeps himself out of scandals, just like his grand mother does, he will bring a better image and reputation to the royal family which has suffered by scandals. For this situation William position seems better as the queen next successor than Charles. Many of crownprinces(es) have crowned at quite young age such as prince Rainier; King Boudouin of Belgia or queen Elizabeth herself and they were/are a good leaders. William just needs learn more intensive about being a crownprince, especialy if the queen can reign 15-20 years more it will enough time for william to be ready.

Last edited:
Wills or Charles?

galuhcandrakirana said:
... if the Queen can reign 15-20 years more it will enough time for William to be ready.

Agreed, but the problem with Charles standing aside is that it creates an unwelcome precedent which could be used against an heir in the future. An "abdication" by Charles would also be an admission of failure on his behalf, to become just a footnote in history.

The nature of a dynasty is continuity and orderly succession; there is nothing in "the rules" about accession to the Throne based on public opinion polls.

And who knows, as Queen Elizabeth ages, and performs fewer public duties and Charles takes on more official roles (with Camilla at his side), public opinion may warm to him and recognise some of his admirable qualities.

People (and the media) despaired about the unsuitableness of the then Prince of Wales when Queen Victoria died, but Edward VII rose to the challenge and proved to be a very successful and popular King.

Last edited:
Warren said:
Agreed, but the problem with Charles standing aside is that it creates an unwelcome precedent which could be used against an heir in the future. An "abdication" by Charles would also be an admission of failure on his behalf, to become just a footnote in history.

The nature of a dynasty is continuity and orderly succession; there is nothing in "the rules" about accession to the Throne based on public opinion polls.

And who knows, as Queen Elizabeth ages, and performs fewer public duties and Charles takes on more official roles (with Camilla at his side), public opinion may warm to him and recognise some of his admirable qualities.
I don't know if it would neccesarily be an addmission of failiar. The Queen is in good health and will probably lead for many more years. If at the time of her death Charles is old and not well and William is ready to take the throne I think it would make sense for him to abdicate.

NJRedDevils said:
William will take the Throne not Charles...

i agree!

mostly people in England wanted William become King not his dad because his dad who is divorcees because he would good King!

Sara Boyce

I don't think there are any surveys showing that most people in the UK don't want Charles to be king. If you know of any data, please post some links.

As far as Edward VIII goes, there was more to it than an unsuitable marriage. He and Wallis had too much sympathy towards the Nazis. That could have been very bad for the UK.

In the end I don't think it won't matter what the people think.
Charles will marry Camilla & reign probably for a short while like King Edward VII. He reigned for 10 years after Queen Victoria died.
The people don't disagree or hate Charles so much as to force him to abdicate. Camilla will have the tougher role.

I believe that Charles will be a good king and a stronger man once hes out from under his mothers thumb.:)

If he doesn't reign it will be due to him dying before his mother rather than him losing rights to the throne. And it's hard to say how long he will live, or how long the Queen will live.

Either way, he makes a lot of mistakes. Even at the Pope's funeral, he shook Mugabe's hand and then had his office make political statements about the regime in Zimbabwe. He's not supposed to discuss politics (certainly not international ones) and he can't seem to stop doing this. If he is forced out, which I doubt will happen, it will be because he can't keep quiet, not because he's married to someone the public is unlikely to welcome adoringly.

chrissy57 said:
A lot of people seem to think that the Queen will live as long as her mother but I think that she will live a shorter life. I don't think she will live that long after her husband dies as she has loved him since she was 13.

I have recently seen three couples who have been together for 60 plus years and in each case one partner died and the other lasted only about a year or even less in one case. The children in each case pointed out that the surviving partner felt as if so much of them had died with their partner that they couldn't keep going. I see the Queen in this situation. Strangely however I think if the Queen died first I think that Philip could live for a much longer time (relatively considering his age now).

I totaly agree with you. I have seen this phenomena.

Australian said:
i have a question. When King Edward got involved with Wallis Simpson, it was seen as an outrage with the people of Britain because she was a divorcee. Camilla is a divorcee so does that mean that Charles will have to abdicate if he does become King or does that mean he can never become King? I don't see any difference between Edward - Wallis and Charls-Camilla

I was thinking the same thing for a long time until chrissy57 explained it. I think that was a very good explanation! :)

I'm not sure whether Charles will ever become king on not. In a way I want to say: Yes, I think Charles will become king based on the fact that his grandmother lived a long time and his mother seems to be in good health currently, and if her health does decline she will also live a long time too. Therefore, he will also live a long time, which means that he could rule as king for sometime.

However, I also want to say: No, I don't think Charles will not rule as king because he is almost 60 years old, who knows how long Charles will live, and who knows how long the Queen will live also.

I think if Charles was to ever rule as king, I think it would be very short. However, it would depend on how long he lives and/or what he decides to do (but I think it would be more likely how long he will live). I have mix feelings whether Charles should be king or not. In a way, I would rather see William as the next king instead of Charles.

I don't really put much stock in who rules or royalty in general. But it depends on how long Queen Elizabeth II lives on. I don't have a particular need or interest in seeing Charles be King and reign. So I hope the Queen lives on for quite a long time.

I think if Charles was to ever rule as king, I think it would be very short

Agreed mate.

Well I guess we'll have the answer in twenty or so years. Hey who will be the first to post the news?

After just seeing the wedding, No One sang "God Save the Queen" more fervently than I did--and I am an American!! If only Her Majesty could live to be 120 years old!

After just seeing the wedding, No One sang "God Save the Queen" more fervently than I did--and I am an American!! If only Her Majesty could live to be 120 years old!

That just put a smile on my face and made me laugh! :)

Was the wedding shown on television this morning in the U.S.? I only saw the last 10 to 20 minutes or so of the ceremony, I believe the ceremony was after the actual wedding, because I had woken up late this morning.

Was CBS on the channel televising the ceremony this morning? I ask because I couldn't find it on the other channels (ABC, FOX, and NBC).

Last edited:
The wedding wasn't televised, but the service of prayer and dedication was. I think it was on CNN (I hope so, anyway, because that's the channel I recorded!).

I don't have cable any more. However, thank you for telling me though! :)

I saw the wedding on CNN!.
I don´t want that Charles reing and i hope he don´t.n But maybe he does. I think that this wed bring more chances for Wills to be the king after his grandma...

I don't want Charles to be king either because he has made too many mistakes in the past. Since William has not made any major mistakes like his father, I think having William as the next king would be for the best.

Charles hadn't made many mistakes at William's age either. William's too young for us to really know what he's going to turn out like. I hope he's more at ease with himself than either of his parents have been, but time will tell.

i would like Charles to renounce his right to the throne.....and let William be King....
if Charles ever become King, that means that Camilla will be Queen....and i think that could costs a lot for the British Monarchy....if William be King...i would say..it's the best choice!

bigheadshirmp said:
i would like Charles to renounce his right to the throne.....and let William be King....
if Charles ever become King, that means that Camilla will be Queen....and i think that could costs a lot for the British Monarchy....if William be King...i would say..it's the best choice!

i agree!

let William become King!

Sara Boyce

bigheadshirmp said:
it's the best choice!

But the succession isn't a choice at all. It is laid down in the Act of Settlement and would require and Act of Parliament to change it. That would open a whole can or worms for the Royal Family with many members of parliament being openly republican. It is possible that on that day they could even get a majority to vote for a republic.

Remember that at 22 Charles was seen as the most popular member of the Royal Family and he held that position until after his wedding. It wasn't until about 1985/6 that attitudes started to changed as he and Diana spent time apart and the press started to query that. That, of course, is about the time by which he claims that the marriage irretrievably broken down. Of course Diana had taken over as the most popular member of the family but everybody seemed to still like and even love Charles.

In time people may turn against William. We don't know what the future holds and to wish the throne to pass over Charles would be difficult as well as unfair on both Charles and William. Charles has worked hard for his country and William is entitled to have a life before assuming those burdens. At this stage William hasn't really done any royal engagements or had a chance to do anything to upset the people but ....

bigheadshirmp said:
it's the best choice!

But it is not a choice. The succession is laid down in the Act of Settlement. To change it would require another Act of Parliament and that is a can of worms that the Royal Family do not want to open. There would be some politicians who would advocate a republic in a vote on the succession. That would be embarassing for the family.

Don't forget that at age 22 Charles was the most popular member of the Royal Family. It changed after Diana came into the family but Charles was still very popular until about 1985/6 when the press started commenting on the amount of time that Charles and Diana were spending apart. This is the about the time that Charles claims is when the marriage had irretrievable broken down and he started to really become grumpy.

I hope that the people give Charles and chance to show how happy he is with Camilla and how much better it is to have a happy Prince of Wales rather than an unhappy one.

But, in my opinion, I think that even knowing that eventually, someday he´ll be king, I don´t think William is ready or want to be king....he´s too young and not prepared.....if he was, certainly, the Queen would allow him to it.....

Nathalian said:
But, in my opinion, I think that even knowing that eventually, someday he´ll be king, I don´t think William is ready or want to be king....he´s too young and not prepared.....if he was, certainly, the Queen would allow him to it.....

yes of course!

i read sky news last night about Prince William will become King than his dad the Prince of Wales you wouldnt believe me!

http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30100-13325222,00..html

Sara Boyce

I agree. WIlliam should live his life and then 10-20 years from now he shoudl start thinking about this.

Nathalian said:

But what if he doesn't want to become king in 10 years? Then what would happen?

Harry?????? Jajaja. I don´t know

As for Charles king i don´t won´t that he becames king because: Camilla will be queen; for me, he is (and sorry if someone don´t like this) stupid and i also think that a lot of people have bad opinions of him, so if he becames king the British monarchy will have problems. And maybe it´s time to modernizate the monarchy, and Wills is the best chooise!

Nathalian said:
if he was, certainly, the Queen would allow him to it.....

But, as I have tried to tell you before, IT IS NOT UP TO THE QUEEN.

She doesn't have a say in who her heir is - she may have a preference but she doesn't have the authority to tell anyone who is to succeed her.

The succession is governed by an Act of Parliament and not by her majesty's personal desires

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom