The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-19-2005, 01:35 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catharina
IIf he has any bright ideas I sure haven't heard of them, instead he seems to have inherited his father's tendency to blurt out things that should be kept in.
I take it then that you haven't heard his views on Genetically Modified food (with which some scientists are beginning to agree), his views on preserving traditional architecture, his Princes Trust, which assists 1000s of young people to get a start in life and his Poundbury village.

Old 04-19-2005, 03:59 PM
Courtier

Talking

I think that Charles should succeed his mother and I feel sure that this will be the case. There had been speculation a few years ago that QEII should retire and pass the throne on to Charles. She should reign as long as she wants as long as she is physically and mentally able to do so. I sure that if her situation changes, Charles will be King. He deserves as much chance to fall on his face as anyone else who inherited the throne. If he decides not to be the King, I'm also sure that Parliment will support him. It is what it is.:p

The issue about Camilla is moot because she will become whatever the law states is her legal position. That could be Queen, that could consort, basketball player, rock and roll singer, beauty contestant, chief cook and bottle washer....whatever the law of the land states is her rightful title.

William will become King if the above circumstances for whatever reason changes, even if he is just 22 years old. If he's not up to, his family and the those who make up the Firm will be there to prop him up until he can reign on his own.

MGrant has spoken

Old 04-19-2005, 08:02 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgrant
I think that Charles should succeed his mother and I feel sure that this will be the case. There had been speculation a few years ago that QEII should retire and pass the throne on to Charles. She should reign as long as she wants as long as she is physically and mentally able to do so. I sure that if her situation changes, Charles will be King. He deserves as much chance to fall on his face as anyone else who inherited the throne. If he decides not to be the King, I'm also sure that Parliment will support him. It is what it is.:p

The issue about Camilla is moot because she will become whatever the law states is her legal position. That could be Queen, that could consort, basketball player, rock and roll singer, beauty contestant, chief cook and bottle washer....whatever the law of the land states is her rightful title.

William will become King if the above circumstances for whatever reason changes, even if he is just 22 years old. If he's not up to, his family and the those who make up the Firm will be there to prop him up until he can reign on his own.

MGrant has spoken
I like when MGrant has spoken!

People may not like Camilla. People may not like Charles. People may not like Charles and Camilla as the future King and Queen of England or as the head of the Church of England. But as long as legislature is not enacted to not allow Charles to succeed his mother or for Camilla to not take on the title of Queen when Charles becomes King, then the law is the law.

Every country has laws that their citizens don't like. But the law is the law and you can't change the law because you don't like certain individuals, have your doubts about them, or find the law inappropriate for certain circumstances. Frankly, I don't like that the speed limit for the streets around my home as only 60 km, I would prefer them to be 80 km. But I can't change the law because some mornings when I am late for work the law is inconvenient for me.

Who is to say that if the law is changed to allow William to succeed his grandmother instead of his father, the law can't be changed again to say that William's second child, who is more handsome or prettier should succeed his father rather than the first born who is not as attractive or charismatic.

One cannot be fickle with the law. One has to live with what the law is even if you don't like the circumstances or individuals carrying out the law. Otherwise what is the point of having a "law" if it changes from year to year or decade to decade?
Old 04-19-2005, 08:25 PM
Nobility

Indeed, but in a democracy the citizens of the country concerned can vote to change a law if they don't like it. Governments AND Monarchies ought to remember that.
Old 04-20-2005, 08:57 PM
Heir Presumptive

The law can be changed, but it would take so much time and effort that it would not be worth it.
Old 04-21-2005, 06:22 AM
Administrator

Deposition Unlikely

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaggleofcrazypeople
The law can be changed, but it would take so much time and effort that it would not be worth it.
Yes, I think it unlikely that the Government and Parliament of the United Kingdom would act to depose the Prince of Wales as Heir to the Throne because some people may be ill-disposed to the Duchess of Cornwall due to her alleged role in the breakdown of the marriage with his deceased
ex-wife.
Old 04-21-2005, 04:47 PM
Gentry

Plus, how long will he reign anyway? He's close to 60 and QEII doesn't look like she's going anywhere anytime soon.
Old 04-21-2005, 09:20 PM
Courtier

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren
Yes, I think it unlikely that the Government and Parliament of the United Kingdom would act to depose the Prince of Wales as Heir to the Throne because some people may be ill-disposed to the Duchess of Cornwall due to her alleged role in the breakdown of the marriage with his deceased
ex-wife.
True. We might not like it but it's not enough to lose a throne over.
And I truly believe that in the long run, the British might warm up to Camilla.
She deserves a chance (I say that a lot ).

And Binky, Charles might be almost 60, and QEII is a little long in the tooth:p , but the two of them are hale and healthy. Who knows how long that situation will continue? One thing for sure, it will provide us with endless speculations
Old 04-21-2005, 09:29 PM
Majesty

I hate to say this but I thought the Queen didn't look as healthy as she has in the past at the wedding. I know we are being told that she is healthy but the lack of time between the engagement and the wedding makes me think that something isn't as it should be.

Normally there is six months or so between engagement and wedding so why the haste this time - ruling out Camilla being pregnant - I think someone isn't as healthy as we are being led to believe. Is it the Queen, Philip or Charles himself (or possibly Camilla??)?
Old 04-25-2005, 10:59 PM
Nobility

She's 79 years old and I think she looks pretty damn good for her age. If you think about her schedule, about her past, and about the things she deals with on a daily basis, I'm amazed she looks as good as she does now and as healthy as she is now.
Old 07-31-2005, 03:00 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissy57
I hate to say this but I thought the Queen didn't look as healthy as she has in the past at the wedding. I know we are being told that she is healthy but the lack of time between the engagement and the wedding makes me think that something isn't as it should be.

Normally there is six months or so between engagement and wedding so why the haste this time - ruling out Camilla being pregnant - I think someone isn't as healthy as we are being led to believe. Is it the Queen, Philip or Charles himself (or possibly Camilla??)?
I agree, I was thinking the same thing myself...
Old 07-31-2005, 03:12 PM
Nobility

I think Charles will eventually become king, even if it's for no other reason than preserving the tradition. Given the age and relatively good health of the Queen, though, I don't think he'll have a long reign-I'll give him 15 years, tops.
Old 07-31-2005, 04:22 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Quote:
I saw a picture of her riding recently, and I thought she looked wonderful for a woman of almost 80.
Old 07-31-2005, 08:54 PM
Gentry

I'm afraid Charles will reign

I never thought I'd say this, but I think Charles will one day reign. I didn't think it possible, and I thought William would be the next monarch, but Charles is getting away with everything these days, in my opinion. He's trotting around with Camilla and they are the happy royal couple, so I think he'll be very well accepted. Again, just my opinion, but that's it.
Old 07-31-2005, 09:00 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by portergirl
I never thought I'd say this, but I think Charles will one day reign. I didn't think it possible, and I thought William would be the next monarch, but Charles is getting away with everything these days, in my opinion. He's trotting around with Camilla and they are the happy royal couple, so I think he'll be very well accepted. Again, just my opinion, but that's it.
I agree with you that Charles is getting away with everything. It is still my fervent hope that Her Majesty will outlive him!! GOD SAVE THE QUEEN!!
Old 07-31-2005, 09:22 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:

Well, Charles and Camilla did have an 'affair' that lasted for over 30 years. Why should they have waited? They certainly put their own spouses thru something didn't they - so why should they not have just gotten it done and over with?

I agree -- I hope HMQEII lives a really loooong time and sets a record:)
Old 07-31-2005, 11:25 PM
Gentry

So many of you want QEII to remain Queen longer just so Charles wouldn't get the throne and it sounds like its because of his affair! But would an old Queen who will probably become even more set her ways be better then Charles as King? What if William marries and then has an affair with somebody will that make him unfit to be King? Kings having mistresses is a pretty common feature in British history and there is no reason just because we're in a new age where we know so much more about the royals that Charles should not get the throne because his marriage fell apart. And I think it would have fallen apart with or without Camilla (although she did speed up the process) since its pretty obvious that Charles and Diana weren't very happy together, had very different personalities and different expectations of what a marriage should be.

I can see not liking Charles to become King because you feel he isn't charismatic or feel that he isn't hard working enough but because you have a strong dislike of him because of he was a bad husband should not be an issue. Especially when we have no idea what type of a husband William will be. Like I said in an earlier post give him time. I would not be shocked if in 20 years William is divorced and no longer viewed with such high esteem. Royal marriages are very tricky things especially in this age when people want to be happily married. Don't be so convinced that William is going to have that wonderful fairytale marriage that everyone thought Charles and Diana would have. And remember he is just as much Charles' son as he is Diana's.
Old 07-31-2005, 11:35 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:

Perhaps Her Majesty did not look very well because her heart was sinking because of how far the monarchy has stooped for Charles. Her Majesty is in an awful position, and I wouldn't want to be in her shoes dealing with all of this!! She wants her son to be happy I am sure, but perhaps she wishes he wasn't so selfish!!

I think the marriage was quick because Her Majesty just wanted to get it over with. She wasn't going to draw out the agony.
Old 08-01-2005, 02:01 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiaraprin
Perhaps Her Majesty did not look very well because her heart was sinking because of how far the monarchy has stooped for Charles. Her Majesty is in an awful position, and I wouldn't want to be in her shoes dealing with all of this!! She wants her son to be happy I am sure, but perhaps she wishes he wasn't so selfish!!

I think the marriage was quick because Her Majesty just wanted to get it over with. She wasn't going to draw out the agony.
I concur completely. And will Charles ever reign? I sure hope not.
Old 08-01-2005, 06:44 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean.~
I concur completely. And will Charles ever reign? I sure hope not.
May I know why Sean?

Here a cover of Private eye about the wedding I found quite funny.
The Queen sure looked glum at the wedding. She did not crack a single smile. If it wasn't for the cheerful William and Harry, one could Have believed it was a funeral.

Feberin, I sure resent Charles' global attitude to Diana, but it's more than just, they were not happy, I looked somewhere else.
He did marry Diana out of love, because he wasn't able to resist the pressures, and then acted with incredible egoism. Diana was sure a hell of a woman, but according to various account I've hared, it's not like if he desperately tried to save his marriage... British Kings have never been a model of morality, but that was at a time were double standards were acceptable. They are not anymore. I am very uneasy at the perspective of Charles being Head of a Church and being sacred. And, that certainly is really over conservative but to me, Charles and Camilla are not formally married religiously, so I really can't see her beeing Queen (among other reasons).

That episode set aside, what really bugs me with Charles is his selfishness, him beeing such a whiner, the fact that he's so weak and influenceable, the fact that he can't keep his mouth shut (here in the UK, there's a declaration of him about a random subject about every weeks), and his total lack of charisma (and contrary to George VI, he has no Queen Mum at his side to compensate).

I however grant him that he seems a loving dad and the Prince Trust is awesome.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1130_big.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	175226  

Tags
prince charles, prince of wales