Will Charles Ever Reign?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
chrissy57 said:
I hate to say this but I thought the Queen didn't look as healthy as she has in the past at the wedding. I know we are being told that she is healthy but the lack of time between the engagement and the wedding makes me think that something isn't as it should be.

Normally there is six months or so between engagement and wedding so why the haste this time - ruling out Camilla being pregnant - I think someone isn't as healthy as we are being led to believe. Is it the Queen, Philip or Charles himself (or possibly Camilla??)?

I agree, I was thinking the same thing myself...

I think Charles will eventually become king, even if it's for no other reason than preserving the tradition. Given the age and relatively good health of the Queen, though, I don't think he'll have a long reign-I'll give him 15 years, tops.

chrissy57 said:
I hate to say this but I thought the Queen didn't look as healthy as she has in the past at the wedding. I know we are being told that she is healthy but the lack of time between the engagement and the wedding makes me think that something isn't as it should be.

I saw a picture of her riding recently, and I thought she looked wonderful for a woman of almost 80.

I'm afraid Charles will reign

I never thought I'd say this, but I think Charles will one day reign. I didn't think it possible, and I thought William would be the next monarch, but Charles is getting away with everything these days, in my opinion. He's trotting around with Camilla and they are the happy royal couple, so I think he'll be very well accepted. Again, just my opinion, but that's it.

portergirl said:
I never thought I'd say this, but I think Charles will one day reign. I didn't think it possible, and I thought William would be the next monarch, but Charles is getting away with everything these days, in my opinion. He's trotting around with Camilla and they are the happy royal couple, so I think he'll be very well accepted. Again, just my opinion, but that's it.

I agree with you that Charles is getting away with everything. It is still my fervent hope that Her Majesty will outlive him!! GOD SAVE THE QUEEN!!

chrissy57 said:

Normally there is six months or so between engagement and wedding so why the haste this time - ruling out Camilla being pregnant - I think someone isn't as healthy as we are being led to believe. Is it the Queen, Philip or Charles himself (or possibly Camilla??)?

Well, Charles and Camilla did have an 'affair' that lasted for over 30 years. Why should they have waited? They certainly put their own spouses thru something didn't they - so why should they not have just gotten it done and over with?

I agree -- I hope HMQEII lives a really loooong time and sets a record:)

So many of you want QEII to remain Queen longer just so Charles wouldn't get the throne and it sounds like its because of his affair! But would an old Queen who will probably become even more set her ways be better then Charles as King? What if William marries and then has an affair with somebody will that make him unfit to be King? Kings having mistresses is a pretty common feature in British history and there is no reason just because we're in a new age where we know so much more about the royals that Charles should not get the throne because his marriage fell apart. And I think it would have fallen apart with or without Camilla (although she did speed up the process) since its pretty obvious that Charles and Diana weren't very happy together, had very different personalities and different expectations of what a marriage should be.

I can see not liking Charles to become King because you feel he isn't charismatic or feel that he isn't hard working enough but because you have a strong dislike of him because of he was a bad husband should not be an issue. Especially when we have no idea what type of a husband William will be. Like I said in an earlier post give him time. I would not be shocked if in 20 years William is divorced and no longer viewed with such high esteem. Royal marriages are very tricky things especially in this age when people want to be happily married. Don't be so convinced that William is going to have that wonderful fairytale marriage that everyone thought Charles and Diana would have. And remember he is just as much Charles' son as he is Diana's.

Last edited:
chrissy57 said:

Perhaps Her Majesty did not look very well because her heart was sinking because of how far the monarchy has stooped for Charles. Her Majesty is in an awful position, and I wouldn't want to be in her shoes dealing with all of this!! She wants her son to be happy I am sure, but perhaps she wishes he wasn't so selfish!!

I think the marriage was quick because Her Majesty just wanted to get it over with. She wasn't going to draw out the agony.

tiaraprin said:
Perhaps Her Majesty did not look very well because her heart was sinking because of how far the monarchy has stooped for Charles. Her Majesty is in an awful position, and I wouldn't want to be in her shoes dealing with all of this!! She wants her son to be happy I am sure, but perhaps she wishes he wasn't so selfish!!

I think the marriage was quick because Her Majesty just wanted to get it over with. She wasn't going to draw out the agony.

I concur completely. And will Charles ever reign? I sure hope not.

Sean.~ said:
I concur completely. And will Charles ever reign? I sure hope not.
May I know why Sean?

Here a cover of Private eye about the wedding I found quite funny.
The Queen sure looked glum at the wedding. She did not crack a single smile. If it wasn't for the cheerful William and Harry, one could Have believed it was a funeral.

Feberin, I sure resent Charles' global attitude to Diana, but it's more than just, they were not happy, I looked somewhere else.
He did marry Diana out of love, because he wasn't able to resist the pressures, and then acted with incredible egoism. Diana was sure a hell of a woman, but according to various account I've hared, it's not like if he desperately tried to save his marriage... British Kings have never been a model of morality, but that was at a time were double standards were acceptable. They are not anymore. I am very uneasy at the perspective of Charles being Head of a Church and being sacred. And, that certainly is really over conservative but to me, Charles and Camilla are not formally married religiously, so I really can't see her beeing Queen (among other reasons).

That episode set aside, what really bugs me with Charles is his selfishness, him beeing such a whiner, the fact that he's so weak and influenceable, the fact that he can't keep his mouth shut (here in the UK, there's a declaration of him about a random subject about every weeks), and his total lack of charisma (and contrary to George VI, he has no Queen Mum at his side to compensate).

I however grant him that he seems a loving dad and the Prince Trust is awesome.

Attachments

• 1130_big.jpg
    1130_big.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 220
tiaraprin said:
I wouldn't want to be in her shoes dealing with all of this!! She wants her son to be happy I am sure, but perhaps she wishes he wasn't so selfish!!

How is marrying somebody that he's loved for thirty years selfish? If he wasn't royalty it wouldn't even be a question! Charles has waited many years for to finally be able to marry Camilla whom he obviously loves very much. What is so selfish about him wanting to be happy? When the Queen was young and she fell in love with Prince Phillip she insisted that she marry him despite her father attempting to distract her and have her marry somebody else. Finally her father realized that in order for her to be a good Queen and deal with all the stress and such she needed somebody that she loved. Prince Charles deserves the same.

Idriel said:
May I know why Sean?

For the reasons you state in your post. He's a whiny, selfish, self-absorbed, out-of-touch, extravegent whinger who often doesn't know what he's talking about, but can't keep his mouth shut.

Being King requires making sacrifices and thinking of country & the monarchy as an institution before oneself. Charles seems incapable of that. Additionallt, his wife is completely inappropriate consort material. Sure he may "love" her, but he has more than himself to think about. They've both harmed the monarchy, and to be honest, I'm not sure how anyone can look up to such a woman. She may be mistress material, but she's certainly not royal consort material, IMO.

Last edited:
Do you think she'd have been royal consort material she and Charles had married in the 1970s? It seems as though the biggest barriers against her were her less than virginal past and the fact that her family wasn't in the higher echelons of aristocracy. She shares a lot of the royal family's interests and values, however.

I must say I agree with a lot of your criticisms of Charles; I hope he understands the constitutional role of being monarch (as opposed to heir) well enough to back off from the political meddling. There's a wealth of difference between giving experienced-based advice to ministers and trying to push a social agenda.

When I read Mabell Airlie's book about her life, which included some long extracts about her years as lady in waiting to Queen Mary, I was struck by what she said about Prince Albert (later George VI) when Lady Elizabeth Bowes Lyon first refused his proposal of marriage. She said what a shame it was and how much she liked him and that he was man who would be made or marred by his wife. Obviously he was made by his, but looking at the way Charles turned out it's occurred to me that the same hold true for him and that he was marred by his choice of wife.

The fact that he married someone with whom he couldn't grow and develop together seems to have brought out the worst in him over the years. It sounded as though Diana could see many of his problems but that she approached them as though she was criticising him, which made him get defensive and criticise her in return. If they'd only had some sort of basis of mutual respect, it would have been a lot healthier.

Lillia said:
Well, Charles and Camilla did have an 'affair' that lasted for over 30 years. Why should they have waited? They certainly put their own spouses thru something didn't they - so why should they not have just gotten it done and over with?

Andrew and Camilla had an open marriage. He seems to have had some success with the ladies during their marriage. I think the hurt feelings arose when all this popped up in the media, instead of being a discreet secret within certain circles.

Charles will get his chance.....eventually and he'll probably make quite a good job of his time as King.

Charles has no choice in the matter. It's his duty under the law to become King, barring the Government forcing him to abdicate, as it did with Edward VIII. Since the Government approved his marriage to Camilla, there is no question on being forced to renounce his place in the line of succession in favor of William. This is why the Queen finally agreed to the marriage. She wanted this critical question addressed before her death.

Barring a surprise illness or accident, the Queen's health remains excellent and she will reign until her death. That does not mean, however, she will continue to carry out her heavy schedule of traveling and duties forever. She will gradually lessen her load, while allowing Charles and Prince William to stand-in for her as she ages.

It doesn't matter what anyone thinks because this is not a popularity contest. A monarchy is above all of that, provided it continues with the consent of the people.

Feberin said:
How is marrying somebody that he's loved for thirty years selfish? If he wasn't royalty it wouldn't even be a question! Charles has waited many years for to finally be able to marry Camilla whom he obviously loves very much. What is so selfish about him wanting to be happy? When the Queen was young and she fell in love with Prince Phillip she insisted that she marry him despite her father attempting to distract her and have her marry somebody else. Finally her father realized that in order for her to be a good Queen and deal with all the stress and such she needed somebody that she loved. Prince Charles deserves the same.
Well he is royalty so this is a question. You point out yourself that E II was brave enough to stand for the man she loved. Why Charles couldn't show such poise? Even now that they are wed, Charles still doesn't totally stand for Camilla (the PR stunt saying she won't be Queen - how insulting). IMO that shows a lack of character, and Camilla does nothing to push him in another direction. As a matter of fact, even friends say that she's more or less saying amen to whatever he does.
Also, Camilla said she did not want to be Queen during the engagement period. What nonsence! If she did not want to be Queen, the safest move would have been not marrying the heir to the throne. Some poster praise her sense of duty but truly, I think she is committed to Charles not to the throne (annoying for a future Queen). Anyway, Charles' reign, if ever, will be pretty short, so I'm not really concerned about the ultimate issue.

But maybe they'll surprise me (through I do believe you can change at 20, maybe at 30, but at their age, I don't believe they will change).

branchg said:
It doesn't matter what anyone thinks because this is not a popularity contest. A monarchy is above all of that, provided it continues with the consent of the people.
That's true. And it's not the people who choose the Queens.

Sean.~ said:
For the reasons you state in your post. He's a whiny, selfish, self-absorbed, out-of-touch, extravegent whinger who often doesn't know what he's talking about, but can't keep his mouth shut.

Being King requires making sacrifices and thinking of country & the monarchy as an institution before oneself. Charles seems incapable of that. Additionallt, his wife is completely inappropriate consort material. Sure he may "love" her, but he has more than himself to think about. They've both harmed the monarchy, and to be honest, I'm not sure how anyone can look up to such a woman. She may be mistress material, but she's certainly not royal consort material, IMO.

Sean, Kudos to you!!!!! You have guts stating that among the Camilla supporters!!

tiaraprin said:
Sean, Kudos to you!!!!! You have guts stating that among the Camilla supporters!!

Thanks. They have their position & I have mine. I'm just as entitled to express my view, particularly since I was asked for my reasons by a previous poster.

In any case, I don't intend on getting into an argument with anyone over the likes of Camilla. AFIC, the woman has already proven her worth (or lack thereof). Finito.

tiaraprin said:

Just because some of us have an attitude of live and let live doesn't make us "Camilla supporters." Personally, I'm mighty sick and tired of the moralizing done by people over this subject.

Last edited:
What do the actual British people think about it? I keep seeing that C&C's harshest critics are Americans, I never get to hear the British people's views though.

Sean.~ said:

Well, it does not matter much, Camilla is his wife and as he becomes king, she will have a title that is befitting her role. I think Prince Charles will do a good job as king:)

There's no reason for him to not be king....the throne has to be passed fairly!...Just because Will is handsome, kind, and looked like he would be a better king than his dad and the U.K. favors him more than Charles doesn't mean he has to be king right now!

IMO Prince Charles will be so old when Queen Elizabeth II dies (I hope she lives for Many-Many years. I admire her very much) that I really think the new King will be William.

delineate said:
Just because some of us have an attitude of live and let live doesn't make us "Camilla supporters." Personally, I'm mighty sick and tired of the moralizing done by people over this subject.

I still stand by what Sean said. Everyone has their opinion and mine and Sean's are in perfect harmony.

Regina said:
IMO Prince Charles will be so old when Queen Elizabeth II dies (I hope she lives for Many-Many years. I admire her very much) that I really think the new King will be William.

We have no way of knowing what the Universe has in store. If the Queen lives another twenty years, then Charles will be close to 80 when he becomes King, the same approximate age the Queen is now. Assuming his health is good, his reign would be short, but could last twenty years or so.

If Prince Charles lives past his mother, he will be king. He is already preparing, with his mummy's guidence of course. William isn't ready to be king, he will need to learn the ropes better as the second in line. Prince Charles would freak if he was skipped over!

Charles will be king if he outlives Her Majesty. I think he sees it as his destiny, and also his duty.

Sean.~ said:

I think exactly like you Sean.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom