Will Charles Ever Reign?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Skydragon said:
The church does allow remarriage in church even if one of the parties was involved in the breakup of the former marriage.

I have attended four such weddings over the last 10 years and one 16 years ago, it is at the sole discretion of the minister in charge. One cynic said it depended how much they put on the collection plate!:eek:

Alas, Skydragon, there are those darned 'rogue' priests! Even here in these exceedingly far-flung countries of the Commonwealth.:eek:

Here's hoping that the CofE and the entire 'Worldwide Anglican Communion' can get their collective connonial act together and tidy up the cannon law...Waaaaay before it is urgently needed. :eek:

Mind you, the rate of progress here at Diocesan Synod Level, not to mention National Synod would make a snail look like a jaguar. (I am guessing that it is exactly the same in 'Mother England' - writing as someone living in a city that was founded by stalwarts of the CofE, naming squares 'Latimer', 'Ridley' and 'Cranmer' - and is this year celebrating both the City and the Diocesan sesquicentennial). :cool:

When the time comes, I will be shouting "God save King Charles"! And hoping that the situation with his consort will be (distant) history.

Until then, God Save the Queen! :) :)

I hope that when the Queen does give up the throne it will be to William.
Charles is too old and set in his ways to rule. He should have been given the reigns years ago.
William will bring a young and fresh feel to the British Monarchy.

crisscross1 said:
Charles is too old and set in his ways to rule. He should have been given the reigns years ago.

It is a hereditary monarchy, therefore the Queen can't 'give up' the throne to William. If he is alive, she has to be followed by her son, Charles.

Last edited:
Camilla is so much older and not at all beautiful, but, she loves Charles and she has taken on the role of his wife very well. They are well suited and if Charles ever inherits the throne from his mother I don't think it will be a long reign. William will be a young and fresh King and his father will be a great advisor.

Last edited by a moderator:
Skydragon said:
It is a hereditary monarchy, therefore the Queen can't 'give up' the throne to William. If he is alive, she has to be followed by her son, Charles.

Good point, can Charles inherit the throne from the Queen but choose to abdicate, or does he have to, God forbid, pass away.

HE would never abdicate. He would take his oath as seriously as his mother.

crisscross1 said:
William will be a young and fresh King and his father will be a great advisor.

The way the monarchy works, William will only become King when Elizabeth and Charles are both dead so Charles can hardly be William's advisor when William is King.

Last edited:
Prince Charles will be 60 in two years time, if the Queen holds the throne for another ten years, will he have the desire or indeed the energy to take on that role. His son who will be around thirty, will have what it takes.
In ten years time perhaps the British monarchy will be a thing of the past anyway.

Really, this is none of my business, since I'm Swedish, and we have our own royal house to care about. But I really do think, that Charles should become king after his mother. I mean, why not? You shouldn't just jump a generation in the succession like that! We did that in Sweden because our current king's father died prematurely in a airplane crash. Our current king had to succeed his grandfather, not his father. I have always thought, that one of our current king's uncles should have been king before the crown went to their nephew. Thinking about it, Bertil and Lillian could very well have been king and queen, if they only had been allowed to get married! And then, Carl Gustaf and Silvia could have been king and queen after Bertil's death. I only think like this, since I think every generation should have a representative at the thrown, if there only is a representative left. So let Charles become king and Camilla become queen! End of story!

Last edited:
Charles is in better health than his mother and she is 80 and full of energy so I dont think Charles will be tired at all. He has stamina to go on as long as his mother and grandmother.

crisscross1 said:
Prince Charles will be 60 in two years time, if the Queen holds the throne for another ten years, will he have the desire or indeed the energy to take on that role. His son who will be around thirty, will have what it takes.
In ten years time perhaps the British monarchy will be a thing of the past anyway.

What character traits in William convince you that he has what it takes?

Edward VIII abdicated the throne to marry his American divorcee Wallis Simpson in 1936 so clearly the rules can and sometimes are broken. To say that in our modern world Prince Charles would not give up his right to the throne, for what ever reason, is being a little blinkered.

The monarchy did not change though, it was the church and society that changed and that change allowed Charles and Camilla to marry so Edwards abdication has no matter in whether Charles will abidcate. I am also wondering the same thing as Ysbel, what do you see in William that would make him a better King than his father.

crisscross1 said:

I think so too, however, I think Prince Willam is too young. I don't think he'll want or be able to deal with all of the duties that come with being king. Maybe he should turn a little more golden before he get the crown. As it stands Prince Charles is old, but there is-at least I hope-a maturity that comes with age. This is the perfect time for him to become king IMO.

Of course as I stated I'm not a Brit so excuse me if I'm stepping on toes, but we still still have land in Britain and I've been there just about every summer to visit family. Just for the reason that I've relatives there makes me concerned about all things political because my concern is always for them. And of course, I'm nosy.:) Plus Britain is just too cool for words.

Charles isn't really that old. His mother is 80 and still does a marvellous job. But I've explained this before. The Queen became Queen at such a young age so she's had a long space of time to reign over and she's had to ride the waves of change which usually doesn't happen because we have a different King or Queen every 20 or 30 years and they adapt to the changing society. The biggest change is starting to happen and you need someone who will gently close the door on the old ways and delicately open up the new one. That person is Charles. He's modern but he understands the old ways.

If William were to be King and began making radical changes, it would be a disaster, so you need a very smooth transition which Charles offers. It's the same with the Papacy and the sort of thing people were saying about John Paul II's successor. JPII was the same as the Queen - he reigned for an unusually long time and had to ride the waves of change. He was an amazing man and the Queen is an amazing woman so they both dealt with that and kept their respective institutions afloat.

With all due respect to Charles, his reign won't be as long, just as Pope Benedict's reign won't be long. But William's will be and so will Benedict's successor so they form a little bridge between the old and the new. You can't change thousands of years over night. It has to be done gradually and by interrupting succession, you don't do that. You force it and then things crumble.

Personally I think that even in 10 years Charles will be fit enough and determined enough to do a great job as king.

He has two parents who have made it to 80 and a grandmother who made it to over 100.

He has some good long lived genes in his background with a great-grandmother who made it over 80 as well.

The men haven't lived as long but how much of that is due to the stresses associated with the major events of the early part of the 20th century - e.g. the stresses of wars and revolutions.

Charles could very well live as long as his father - giving him at least another 27 years.

William should have the chance to be a husband and father without the added burden of the monarchy.

How much of Charles' problems could be put down to a young mother burdened with the responsibilities of monarchy? Not all I agree but some and do we want to repeat a young family growing up without their parents full attention. How much better has William been raised because he did have his parents around more.

Some of the early deaths among the men were also at least partly due to their being heavy smokers, which isn't one of Charles's habits. The relatively peaceful society and his drive for healthy living may well mean that he'll live to a greater age than most of his predecessors.

Elspeth said:
Some of the early deaths among the men were also at least partly due to their being heavy smokers, which isn't one of Charles's habits. The relatively peaceful society and his drive for healthy living may well mean that he'll live to a greater age than most of his predecessors.

So true Elspeth.

Thank God for the rules of sucession. Whatever the current popular view, reallity rules.:p

Provided that Charles does not predecease his mother (God Forbid), He will be the rightful and future King. :cool:

Long live the Queen.:D

Charles has 30 more years of experience over William in dealing with the hostile press, the dictatorial establishment, the boring critics, the endless speeches, the soul-crushing staged events and life in a goldfish bowl. Camilla will make a satisfactory Queen Consort and Charles is finally happy.

I can't fathom why anyone would want to handcuff a man in his early twenties to the life of a king (i.e. "never stray from the following job description for the rest of your life: read out loud what we write on this paper, look interested in everybody and everything they have to say, wave and smile on cue, have sons and ensure they have sons, periodically wear theatrical costumes and preside over archaic ceremonies, and never share any point of view that could be interpreted as political").

Let William continue to find himself, get married or play the field, and enjoy the little amount of freedom he currently has.

It's age discrimination. A lot of the William for king press emphasize his youth and good looks. When Charles was in his 20's and even into his 30's, there were a lot of Charles for king stuff as well.

Incas said:
A lot of the William for king press emphasize his youth and good looks.

Hmm, those are excellent qualities for bimbos who aim to become a queen, but I wonder why they would want those qualities in the King of England?

PreDoc said:
Hmm, those are excellent qualities for bimbos who aim to become a queen, but I wonder why they would want those qualities in the King of England?
That's exactly my point. Not that i think looks alone should determine the next queen either.

I Think Charles will make a fine King,I hope that in my lifetime I See a male Monarch in Britian actually. I Agree also it should never be about looks. :)

Royal Fan said:
I Think Charles will make a fine King,I hope that in my lifetime I See a male Monarch in Britian actually. I Agree also it should never be about looks. :)

From what I've read about Charles he is so well-prepared that he'll be able to do the job with his eyes closed. In regards to the sex of a monarch it seems irrelevent since the basic job description only seems to require a human being with low-to-middle intelligence who has the ability to perform pre-determined tasks without causing controversy.

To anyone who knows more about coronation than me(which would be everyone I'm guessing) what are the religious aspects of the coronation that could be affected by a divorce? is Charles even considered dovorced, officially, or if they don't recognise divorce, is he seen as a widower?
To me it's strange a church that was started for someone to get a divorce has any issue with this:confused:

I think getting older & growing wiser has had a great effect on Charles. He will be a King of compassion and interest. A monarch who I can confidently say shall try to initiate a greater understanding between Chirstianity & Islam, a man who's constant efforts to bring a wider awareness to sustainable living shall be furthermore recognised and respected as well as his contributions to that wornderful & inspiring program, The Prince's Trust.

I think something that Charles may fret over is that he may not be King long enough to have made the difference's he would have wanted to have made, and, I can empathise with that.

He shall have to use the time he is granted by the Big Guy upstairs to the best of his ability and I am sure he shall.

"MII"

Aussie Princess said:
To anyone who knows more about coronation than me(which would be everyone I'm guessing) what are the religious aspects of the coronation that could be affected by a divorce? is Charles even considered divorced, officially, or if they don't recognise divorce, is he seen as a widower?
To me it's strange a church that was started for someone to get a divorce has any issue with this:confused:

Yes, it is very strange that there is a problem within the Church about divorce, in view of why it was founded! :D

Charles was a widower the moment his former wife died and therefore free to be married in a church.

Last edited:
Well i think that charles is definitely going to be a good king and if camilla makes him happy then i am glad. Besides i don't think or feel that william is quite ready to become a more responsible royal as yet - he is still too young!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom