The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-11-2005, 11:58 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan alicia
Do not know about not being well received, there is always someone who will critisize.
I agree susan alicia; there will always be someone who disapproves or criticizes of a leader. Nobody has 100% approval of the masses. Even the Queen, as well respected as she is does not have 100% approval within Britain. There are some (even a small group) dislike her and feel that someone else could do a better job.

Charles may have more critics than others because of his pesonal life, but that doesn't mean that he will be a bad king. Some people make a terrible mess of their private lives but are very impressive in their professional lives, and vice versa.

I don't think it's fair to judge the kind of King Charles will be until we actually see him in action.

Old 09-11-2005, 12:03 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incas
Seems to me, there has always been a bias against Charles based on looks. When he was young and single, he was the dashing prince. After he married the first time, compared to a more photogenic wife, he became an slightly accentric figure with big ears. Now with both sons grown into photogenic young men, again in comparison, he comes up short in this image conscious time. A lot of criticism against Charles during the breakdown of his first marriage was centered around "how could he look at anyone less beautiful than his wife?". Their private behavior was an afterthought. And I think, many made excuses for Diana's behavior because of her looks. I wonder how many people would still expect Charles to step aside if he had been the better looking partner in that first marriage.
The last thing I would ever think of in relation to Charles being a bad king is his looks. That is grasping at straws.

I think he will not make a good king because he could not manage his own private life, and he cannot abide by the rules of Royals remaining above the political fray. If you can't manage your own life, how are you going to be the Head of State representing millions of people?

Old 09-11-2005, 12:50 PM
Administrator

POW happy and settled

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiaraprin
I think he will not make a good king because he could not manage his own private life... If you can't manage your own life, how are you going to be the Head of State representing millions of people?
I would have thought that the private life of the Prince of Wales is now happily settled. He is married to the woman he loves, one son has gained his university degree with flying colours and his girfriend seems accepted by the family, while the other son appears to have settled into his army training quite well. One stepson has just been married, and the step-daughter's wedding is possibly not far off. As a bonus there has been less drama and histrionics with the public reaction and acceptance of his second wife than perhaps was anticipated.

I would suggest that in his private or family life the situation for the Prince of Wales is better now than it has been for many years.
Old 09-11-2005, 12:55 PM
Imperial Majesty

He certainly looks more relaxed. It'll be interesting to see how he develops as he starts taking on more duties for the Queen.
Old 09-11-2005, 01:25 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genevieve
Did you ever think that it's admirable that Charles sought his grown son's advice as an adult whose opinon he values?
I'm coming back to this thread a bit late, but I think its incredibly unfair to Will that Charles had to ask his son to coach him through a simple public appearance. I have the highest regards to William's ability but he sounded embarassed over the whole thing.

Part of why I think this is that I suspect Diana confided in William a lot about her marital breakdown when he was a young teenager. This is incredibly tough on a young boy and I just think its so unfair now that Diana is gone that his father is leaning on him too. The kid can't get a break from his parents it seems. :(
Old 09-11-2005, 01:37 PM
Heir Presumptive

agree with harry polos shirt, genevieve and aussie princess,
my view is that asking your son advice is a very sweet way to show that you value their opinion and give them (even more) selfconfidence

It is a pity that Diana burdened her child with her troubles, if it is true it is one of the few things she did not do very well. Unfortunately lots of parents think about their own needs first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel
I'm coming back to this thread a bit late, but I think its incredibly unfair to Will that Charles had to ask his son to coach him through a simple public appearance. I have the highest regards to William's ability but he sounded embarassed over the whole thing.

Part of why I think this is that I suspect Diana confided in William a lot about her marital breakdown when he was a young teenager. This is incredibly tough on a young boy and I just think its so unfair now that Diana is gone that his father is leaning on him too. The kid can't get a break from his parents it seems. :(
Old 09-11-2005, 02:10 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Maybe I should have posted the transcript. :) I'm thinking if Charles had meant it to show confidence in Will, it showed instead that Charles couldn't handle a simple photo op. Will sounded exasperated with his father. I felt bad for him.

transcript excerpt from BBC:

Prince Charles:"Do I put my arms around you?"

Prince William: "No, don't but you can take the horrible glasses away."

Charles: "Do not be rude about my glasses, I couldn't bear it if you were."

Charles: "What do we do?" William: "Keep smiling, keep smiling."
Old 09-11-2005, 02:17 PM
Heir Presumptive

Sorry Ysbel,

now I remember seeing it on tv too,
did not know you were referring to this incident. Charles was indeed depressed or something was wrong, his behaviour was not logical and I was disappointed.

Quote:
Maybe I should have posted the transcript. :) I'm thinking if Charles had meant it to show confidence in Will, it showed instead that Charles couldn't handle a simple photo op. Will sounded exasperated with his father. I felt bad for him.

transcript excerpt from BBC:

Prince Charles:"Do I put my arms around you?"

Prince William: "No, don't but you can take the horrible glasses away."

Charles: "Do not be rude about my glasses, I couldn't bear it if you were."

Charles: "What do we do?" William: "Keep smiling, keep smiling."
Old 09-11-2005, 02:32 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

No problem susan. I actually think he'd make a good king if he could sort some things out for himself. Marrying Camilla was a good start, she seems to give him confidence and he seems to be settling down.

Actually I think he's already taking over quite a few duties from the Queen. He's already doing the investitures and he represents her abroad.

I think he'll turn out alright.
Old 09-11-2005, 02:53 PM
Gentry

Quote:
I see what you mean but wasn't this the week before the wedding, with all the muddle and bad media and death threats etc? I think William is just very media savvy so Charles turned to him. I wouldn't think he does that in general, and anyway, now he has Camilla for support. As for William, his father would be a piece of cake to look after compared to his mother.
Old 09-11-2005, 03:07 PM
Imperial Majesty

Oh, I don't know - Charles grew up in a rather artificial environment with enough emotional problems of his own. At least William is sufficiently older now to have some perspective on things; he was only 15 when his mother died, and he must have been too young to know what was really going on.
Old 09-11-2005, 07:54 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
The last thing I would ever think of in relation to Charles being a bad king is his looks. That is grasping at straws.
FYI, I merely stated an opinion, an "what if" observation, similar to the thread devoted to "what if Charles was the one killed". It was not a comment directed at anyone nor any particular post. There is no need for sarcasm.
Old 09-11-2005, 08:09 PM
Imperial Majesty

I don't think it was meant as sarcasm, just a way of saying that she doesn't agree. It's often the case that good-looking people get an easier ride through life, but I'm sure that isn't the only factor.
Old 09-11-2005, 09:02 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth
It's often the case that good-looking people get an easier ride through life, but I'm sure that isn't the only factor.
I don't know whether Charles' looks hindered him in public perception but I do believe Diana's looks helped her gain sympathy for being the cheated party. The other royal women here whose husband's have allegedly cheated on them (Sophia and Juan Carlos, Anne Marie and Constantine) get mild admiration for how they're holding up, but their husband's affairs are not the subject of such outrage and moral indignation as people seem to get with Charles.
Old 09-12-2005, 12:40 AM
Serene Highness

I think Charles' looks along with the press' help have held him back in the publics eyes. Look at Camilla, had she been better looking people & the press would not have had such an easy time of making snide remarks about her looks and such. Appereance should'nt matter but unfortunately it does. I don't know if Charles was always considered a dashing young prince I recall many unfortunate taunts about his looks and character throughout his life but some positive as well. Diana had star quality and completely outshone Charles, the press may have propelled her at first but eventually the people saw that she was compassionate, sincere and touchable. Absolutely irresistable, everybody loved that. At first the people loved her for her looks & shyness but once the people go to know her they loved her for all of her other qualities that made her so human and not just a royal figure. The whole world laughed and cried right along with her. I think I've gone on rambling off topic here here....sorry!
Old 09-12-2005, 03:00 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
I don't know whether Charles' looks hindered him in public perception but I do believe Diana's looks helped her gain sympathy for being the cheated party. The other royal women here whose husband's have allegedly cheated on them (Sophia and Juan Carlos, Anne Marie and Constantine) get mild admiration for how they're holding up, but their husband's affairs are not the subject of such outrage and moral indignation as people seem to get with Charles.

It may also be because Sofia and Anne Marie are old school and think they have to suffer with it. However, I have heard that Sofia wanted to leave Juan Carlos and didn't because she would lose her kids.
Old 09-12-2005, 04:42 AM
Administrator

Through thick and thin...

Quote:
It may also be because Sofia and Anne Marie are old school and think they have to suffer with it. However, I have heard that Sofia wanted to leave Juan Carlos and didn't because she would lose her kids.
And sometimes, perseverance through the tough times pays off. I think King Albert and Queen Paola are a good example of "sticking it out", and ending up happy and contented together. The relationship of Queen Juliana and Prince Bernhard is another Royal example that comes to mind.
Old 09-12-2005, 11:16 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
She could leave him now and not loose her kids though couldn't she? They're old enough to understand. I think they hold on tightly to faith and that's what sees them through. Maybe they don't want to set the example of a divorce/seperation for her own children.
Old 09-12-2005, 01:08 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth
Oh, I don't know - Charles grew up in a rather artificial environment with enough emotional problems of his own. At least William is sufficiently older now to have some perspective on things; he was only 15 when his mother died, and he must have been too young to know what was really going on.
I think William was aware of what was going on between his parents -- at least the positive spin in her favor that Diana chose to put on it. From what I heard about his reaction to Diana's revelation that she had an affair with Hewitt, William might not have realized that Diana had been having the affair (he might have just thought it was a great friendship).

I thought it was very unfair of Diana to make William her confidant about her marital problems with Charles. There are some things about their parents that children don't need to know.
Old 09-12-2005, 01:15 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Quote:
No problem susan. I actually think he'd make a good king if he could sort some things out for himself. Marrying Camilla was a good start, she seems to give him confidence and he seems to be settling down.

Actually I think he's already taking over quite a few duties from the Queen. He's already doing the investitures and he represents her abroad.

I think he'll turn out alright.
I might get in trouble with my own fellow Diana fans for saying it... but maybe Camilla is the wife that Charles needed to make him successful.

What I'm saying is, Diana was a true star, and Charles felt jealous of her. The successful royal marriages - at least in the House of Windsor - seem to be those where the non-royal wife is content to let the husband be the star and she plays a supportive role. Maybe Camilla gives Charles the same kind of support that George VI received from his Elizabeth.

Tags
prince charles, prince of wales