The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-20-2005, 02:15 PM
Nobility

Maybe so :) I saw a turning point at the marriage. The press before was 100% negative... the arrrangements all messed up, what was the Queen saying, yada yada.

Then Camilla shocked the British public with two effortlessly stylish and attractive outfits. For a woman her age, she looked marvellous. And both she and the PoW positively glowed with happiness.

The effect in the UK was amazing. Camilla absolutely was applauded as an instant style icon in all the papers. Elegant without being fuddy-duddy. Cutting-edge UK designers work on her outfits. Indeed you can see her style in this forum in the great Camilla's hats thread. Her hats are fantastic.

Furthermore, to see the Wales boys joking around at the registry office, and to see the pure happiness of the royal couple, convinced a lot of Britsh people about Camilla. The UK media was absolutely taken aback by the fervour of the Golden Jubilee celebrations and the revealing of the depth of attraction for monarchy. Now when the Queen dies you will see intense mourning that will make the Queen Mother's death pale in comparison, and you will see, thereafter, a huge resevoir of good will and good wishes for Charles III.

I will put my cards on the table right now and I say I don't see even the slightest ambiguity in the future. The UK public will rally to Charles completely. And when it happens I want credit for being the first person here to predict it!

Old 08-20-2005, 05:54 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frothy
For a woman her age, she looked marvellous.
True. Like any other bride on her big day. Charles spend a fortune. Who did this must have the Oscar. It wasn’t easy.

Quote:
Camilla absolutely was applauded as an instant style icon in all the papers. Elegant without being fuddy-duddy. Cutting-edge UK designers work on her outfits.
Good work of well paid spin-doctors who are doing everything for her to be accepted.

With all the fortune spend on this woman, she is still without any class.

Quote:
Her hats are fantastic.
Maybe two of them are nice, but others are enormous horrible flaying saucers.

Quote:
Furthermore, to see the Wales boys joking around at the registry office, and to see the pure happiness of the royal couple, convinced a lot of Britsh people about Camilla.
‘’The pure happiness’’ was only of this couple. Who else looked happy? All guests were like to be in the funeral. Even the Queen was far from the bride. And still, the Queen is never to be seen near Camilla. There are always two or more persons in between.

Outside beauty on one day did not convinced the intelligent people that Camilla changed from inside. I am visiting numerous forums, and there are still so many posters disliking Camilla, and what worst many are become simply indifferent.

Just my opinion :)

Old 08-20-2005, 06:01 PM
Courtier

Good work of well paid spin-doctors who are doing everything for her to be accepted.

-> I don't think it matters if the public accept Camilla because she is a genuinely classy or stylish woman or if they accept her because spin doctors make her APPEAR like a classy or stylish woman. The monarchy will get the approval ratings, whether they come from manipulated media coverage or not. And to be honest - who of us can really say what Camilla is like? Or what Diana was like? The information we have access to comes from the media, and can never be "objective". Don't tell me Diana didn't use the media too, like Camilla does now. If we condemn one, we must condemn the other one, too.
Old 08-20-2005, 06:10 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by naida
True. Like any other bride on her big day. Charles spend a fortune. Who did this must have the Oscar. It wasn’t easy.

Maybe two of them are nice, but others are enormous horrible flaying saucers.

‘’The pure happiness’’ was only of this couple. Who else looked happy? All guests were like to be in the funeral. Even the Queen was far from the bride. And still, the Queen is never to be seen near Camilla. There are always two or more persons in between.

Outside beauty on one day did not convinced the intelligent people that Camilla changed from inside. I am visiting numerous forums, and there are still so many posters disliking Camilla, and what worst many are become simply indifferent.

Just my opinion :)
As one of those posters who detests Camilla, I still am flabbergasted by this post!! This is one vicious post!!

Naida, be careful with what you write. You will cause a heap of people to come down on your head and be warned by the Moderators.
Old 08-20-2005, 07:04 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by naida

Diana had just as many spin doctors as Camilla did, and was quite a fan of expensive designer clothing herself.
Old 08-20-2005, 07:22 PM
Imperial Majesty

OK, before this thread starts descending any farther into personal attacks, let's call a halt, please. There are ways of criticising people while remaining civilised; unfortunately Naida's post didn't do that, but that doesn't mean that everybody else has to pile on too.

Naida, please take a look at our posting rules and guidelines and familiarise yourself with the one that says not to name-call or attack royal and public figures.

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...ead.php?t=4920

If you want to discuss this with the moderation staff, turn on your private messaging feature. We don't permit discussions and complaints about moderation in the threads.

Elspeth

British Royals moderator
Old 08-20-2005, 10:46 PM
Gentry

I also think with time people will begin to warm up to Camilla especially if she manages to appear nicely dressed at an event or two. When Camilla was first mentioned as Charles' mistress everybody hated her but now its much more 50/50 with some people loving her, some hating her and a lot of people indifferant about her. There will always be people that dislike her (some who may feel liking her would be a betrayl to Diana) but I think by the time Charles assends the throne a majority of people will be able to welcome Camilla as their Queen, well at least enough will that there won't be mass protests in the streets or anything!
Old 08-20-2005, 11:11 PM
Imperial Majesty

I think it probably helps a lot in terms of public opinion that Charles will be fairly elderly when he inherits, it'll be a shortish reign, and Diana's son is waiting in the wings.
Old 08-20-2005, 11:22 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth
I think it probably helps a lot in terms of public opinion that Charles will be fairly elderly when he inherits, it'll be a shortish reign, and Diana's son is waiting in the wings.
That is what I am waiting for. The future of the monarchy lies in William's hands. A terrible fate to give someone so young. With the lessons taught by his Mother, William will hopefully tread a careful balance between the reality and the mystique of monarchy.
Old 08-20-2005, 11:37 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiaraprin
That is what I am waiting for. The future of the monarchy lies in William's hands. A terrible fate to give someone so young. With the lessons taught by his Mother, William will hopefully tread a careful balance between the reality and the mystique of monarchy.
tiaraprin,
I agree that Diana gave William a grounding in what she saw as "ordinary life" but lets face it that was still a life of privilege. How many young boys get tennis lessons from Steffi Graf and get to meet people like Tina Turner, Cindy Crawford, Bob Geldof (although I seem to remember that Wills was rather rude to him)? The lessons in statecraft that he has learned from his grandmother & the sportsmanship that polo & the other sports that he is involved in will be far more useful to him than trips to theme parks & McDonalds will. Hopefully he will continue some of Diana's work in relation to Aids & Landmines but we have to remember that Diana was no pioneer in taking up these causes. The Princess Royal has been involved in such things for dozens of years through her work with the Save the Children Fund and people like Queen Noor, Queen Rania etc have been involved in the landmines issue and have done just as much as Diana did.
It is rather like the Kennedy's; everyone remembers what a great President JFK was & how much Bobby did as Attorney General but the one who has done the most over the period of his public life has been Teddy. He has worked tirelessly as a Senator for 30 years or more but has been hidden in the shadows of his slain brothers.
The one thing I will critisise William for and make a suggestion that he needs to work at is losing the mannerisms he has inherited from Diana. While looking bashfully from under ones fringe (or bangs as I understand you Americans call it) is appealling in a woman or small child it looks, IMO, rather silly on a six foot hunk like Wills! :p
Old 08-20-2005, 11:49 PM
Royal Highness

I look to William to help breach the gap between the stuffy snobbish side of Royalty with the more au courrant, caring side of his Mother. William learned valuable lessons in being human by doing ordinary things such as waiting in line for something instead of having a servant bring it to him. He learned to have fun by going to theme parks and having vacations that were a far cry from the stiff formality of the Windsors. William has more of an idea who the people on the street are than his father and the rest of the Windsors combined (with the exception of Sophie and his brother). While he is not like the rest of us "commoners", he has a better idea of the concept and that is thanks to his Mother. I don't think you would see Prince Charles taking his sons to homeless shelters!! You won't hear Prince Charles tackle the AIDS issue or landmines!
Old 08-21-2005, 12:28 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiaraprin
I don't think you would see Prince Charles taking his sons to homeless shelters!! You won't hear Prince Charles tackle the AIDS issue or landmines!
NO-ONE can critisise Charles for his lack of charity work!! There would be a lot of young people in the UK and elsewhere in the Commonwealth who would be very badly off if it was not for the work of the Princes Trust. Things of a health related nature have, traditionally, been the province of the myriad of female royals. In coming generations there will be less of these, especially if Charles does scale down the size of the working family and the duties will have to be shared out. It pays to remember that, once he becomes Prince of Wales, William will more than likely head the Princes Trust. I think that it will be Harry & William's wives (and maybe Harry himself) who take up these causes as the ladies like Princess Alexandra, Princess Anne, the Duchess of Gloucester etc scale down their duties with age. I assume that Beatrice, Eugenie &, eventually, Louise will take on some duties but I do think that we will see a more nuclear Royal family in the next reign.
Old 08-21-2005, 07:40 AM
Courtier

I haven't really seen William at any homeless shelters lately. He has been pretty minimal on public relations and charity so far. And as far as Wills and the kind of King he will be, we already know his reluctance, and I read one of his interviews not too long ago and although during it he said all of the correct things, he just came off so unenthusiastic and lamb to the slaughter-y, if you will. He said (paraphrasing): "It's not a matter of wanting to do it, it's a matter of having to do it," Not too enthusiastic about the job. Maybe this reluctance will help modernize the monarchy? But the Golden Child that everyone has expected out of William has yet to surface. I wouldn't pin all our hopes on him.

And him having his mother's mannerisms? He does do the head-ducking a lot, but he's come across very Charles-like in his mannerisms to me, the way he gestures around effeminately like his father lol!

And Diana on AIDS. To be honest, outside of Dimania, I never hear that handshake mentioned. Which leads me to believe that it had a lesser impact than some assume. Not that Diana didn't do a good thing, and not that it was unimportant and didn't impact many I'm sure, but we had already been through the Linda/Rock incident and I don't think Diana was the AIDS pioneer of the millennium that a lot of people make her out to be. And I don't think she was fiercely devoted, ask Michael Adler.
Old 08-21-2005, 07:48 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicky
And Diana on AIDS. To be honest, outside of Dimania, I never hear that handshake mentioned. Which leads me to believe that it had a lesser impact than some assume. Not that Diana didn't do a good thing, and not that it was unimportant and didn't impact many I'm sure, but we had already been through the Linda/Rock incident and I don't think Diana was the AIDS pioneer of the millennium that a lot of people make her out to be. And I don't think she was fiercely devoted, ask Michael Adler.
It's not a question of pioneering IMO, it's a question of impact. Di wasn't the first personality to fight against AIDS, but she was the most notorious. They were thousands of people doing daily hard work to sensibilize the opinion about the fact that HIV positive people were treated like pariahs and all the myths about that illness, but it had few consequences. But when Diana, the most famous woman in the world, steps in and shake a patient's hand or kiss a ill baby's face, it makes headlines worldwide. It may have taken her few minutes of her life, but the results are huge. And yes, it made an important impact.
Old 08-21-2005, 07:56 AM
Courtier

Like I said, I don't doubt the moment's impact it had on some people, but I don't think she should've gotten a Nobel Peace Prize for it (which I have heard suggested on another certain site Idriel! ).
Old 08-21-2005, 09:03 AM
Nobility

True and the difference is, one didn't conspire to trap an innocent young women into a loveless marriage, mainipulate her and play upon her naivity. This was done solely for the purpose of continuing the affair throughout Charles married life, that really was awful. People may say it's the past but as you and I both know, the aforesaid really scarred Diana for many years. No offence. Diana indeed made mistakes as regards her duties in the beginning only because Charles didn't take her under his wing and so on. That's well docmented.

Having said that, although he may be a terrific businessman and ineed he is with numerous trusts of distinction. This would only form part of the case for highlighting Prince Charles' suitability for ascending the the throne. The way in which he would conduct other matters would be called into question. Not saying that Charles is a bad man but one has to remember he'll have to discourage certain things even if he approves of them. My question would ha be able to do so?

No one knows what the future holds but the way it looks doesn't seem to indicate that Charles will be King despite the Royal Family 'accepting Camilla and giving her an Aristocratic Title. Just so everyone knows I'm not Charles, Diana or Camilla bashing am just looking and highting certain facts.:)

Quote:
Diana had just as many spin doctors as Camilla did, and was quite a fan of expensive designer clothing herself.
Old 08-21-2005, 09:26 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roshanah
True and the difference is, one didn't conspire to trap an innocent young women into a loveless marriage, mainipulate her and play upon her naivity. This was done solely for the purpose of continuing the affair throughout Charles married life, that really was awful.
Diana herself said that she was aware of Camilla and knew what was going on between the two of them, in Her True Story she tells of many instances and confrontations between the two of them over Camilla. Naive? I think not!

Quote:
Diana indeed made mistakes as regards her duties in the beginning only because Charles didn't take her under his wing and so on. That's well docmented.
What mistakes really did she make at the beginning? She said herself that she wasn't daunted by the responsibilities, just the media. I don't think Charles could have fixed the media. She said that the two of them "made a good team," and were still very happily married ("Very much so.") at this point.
Old 08-21-2005, 09:37 AM
Administrator

Facts of life

Quote:
No one knows what the future holds but the way it looks doesn't seem to indicate that Charles will be King
I understand that some contributors to the Forums would prefer William to succeed The Queen in place of his father; but I cannot see any sense to the assertion "...the way it looks doesn't seem to indicate that Charles will be King."

The way what looks? What indications? What evidence?

Unless the Prince of Wales predeceases his mother, or there is an Act of Parliament removing him (willingly or unwillingly) from the succession, he will become King in due course.
Old 08-21-2005, 10:04 AM
Nobility

I mean at the very beginning, not when they married. By then I agree she knew about it. True it does say that. When I mentioned Naive, I meant it in terms of her not knowing that Charles wasn't going to give Camilla up. Diana even said at times that she was knocked for six by that.

The responsibility no but the ettiquetes of an Aristocrat are very differen to that of a person with a Royal rank. There's a big gap. She even said it herself in some of her inerviews. I don't think that he fixed the Media either. When I watche the live coverage of her (Diana's) Wedding I thought Charles and Diana are suited to one another and are destined to be the Next King and Queen of England. I rather looked forward to it. :) :) :)

Quote:
Diana herself said that she was aware of Camilla and knew what was going on between the two of them, in Her True Story she tells of many instances and confrontations between the two of them over Camilla. Naive? I think not!

What mistakes really did she make at the beginning? She said herself that she wasn't daunted by the responsibilities, just the media. I don't think Charles could have fixed the media. She said that the two of them "made a good team," and were still very happily married ("Very much so.") at this point.
Old 08-21-2005, 10:13 AM
Courtier

You mean the mistakes she made before they were married? What were they? I don't understand. You mean she made mistakes with etiquette at the beginning? :)
He could not have fixed the media, although they did try to get her more privacy, but obviously it wasn't going to work.

Closed Thread

Tags
prince charles, prince of wales