The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-10-2009, 06:32 PM
Heir Apparent

As a Canadian, I think that Remembrance Day is really our major, patriotic day, not Canada Day. Canada's national identity was really forged during WWI (Vimy Ridge), and so our pride as a nation is very much connected with our remembrance of wars and the terrible cost of them. Therefore, a member of the Royal Family who appears at the monument in Ottawa is very much appreciated for being there at our most "sacred" national time.

I very much see the monarchy as part of living and past history, which is how I see Prince Charles. I see him as one in a continuing line of monarchs and not necessarily as an individual. My personal opinion about how Prince Charles has conducted his life has nothing to do with my support for the institution of monarchy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princejohnny25 View Post

Old 12-10-2009, 10:18 PM
Aristocracy

I would love to see Charles and Camilla do the Balkans! Especially Montenegro! I am still pinching myself that this beautiful little country has finally thrown of the yoke of Serbian dominance and hope that Montenegro will continue to flourish! I guess its Romantic history just adds to its appeal in my eyes! I also think that it may be a good idea for the Prince to take the Duchess to China in a bid to make up for his private comments about 'waxworks' that were leaked some years ago!

As China is on the verge of becoming 'the' economic monolith, it may not be a bad PR exercise for Charles and Camilla to visit sooner rather than later! I am sure the Prince would love to do some water colour painting there too as it is a stunningly beautiful country too!

I also think Charles and Camilla should go to Bhutan too as well as all the Commonwealth realms at some stage in the future! I personally think that now is the right time for Camilla to be introduced to her husband's future overseas subjects properly and it is only natural now that QEII and Prince Philip are scaling back their overseas tours for Charles and Camilla to increase theirs.

It is interesting to note that Charles and Camilla went to Canada this year when the Queen is going there next year. Maybe C'n'C will do this more often as a way of paving/testing the waters as republican sentiments ebb and flow! After all few of us care to contemplate seeing the Queen facing eggs again do we!

I have always thought it a shame that the RF do not replicate the Earl of Wessex's seemingly strong links to Canada in other areas of the Commonwealth. I note that he seems to visit Canada quite regularly compared to other members of the RF. I know the Gloucesters have visited Tonga twice in the last decade as representatives but am unsure if they have visited Tuvalu or the Soloman Islands or other Pacific Commonwealth realms, republics etc at the same time. I muse that identifying certain Royals with particular spheres may not be entirely positive on a regular basis, but I do think annual yearly visits would do much to improve and strengthen ties! I mean, when was the last time a member of the RF visited Tuvalu, Papua New Guinea or Belize and how long before that last visit had those nations had to wait for another visit? I mean, the Queen is not as territorial and as jealous of her position and image as say, her great great grandmama was is she?

I read somewhere that Camilla hates flying...I wander if this is true?

'I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.'
Old 12-10-2009, 11:58 PM
Majesty

You do realise that they have to be invited to visit these countries and can't jiust decide to turn up.

Charles went to school in Australia and has always spoken fondly about this country but that doesn't mean he can come here whenever he wants to. He was here in 2005 just before marrying Camilla and said then that he would bring her next time but next time could be years away as the government doesn't really want to encourage the royals being here.

Even though the Queen is Queen of Australia she still has to be invited by the government to come here.
Old 12-11-2009, 12:05 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connie Cutmantle View Post
...[snipped] As China is on the verge of becoming 'the' economic monolith, it may not be a bad PR exercise for Charles and Camilla to visit sooner rather than later! I am sure the Prince would love to do some water colour painting there too as it is a stunningly beautiful country too! ... [snipped]
Given Prince Charles' bad attitude toward the Chinese government and his fondness for Dalai Lama's spiritual advice, I do not think that he will be invited to visit China. The Chinese tend to be pragmatic and can squeeze some much-needed funds from the Prince's Trust. However, the Chinese government openly discourages governments and other prominent people from meeting Dalai Lama.
Old 12-11-2009, 12:34 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
You do realise that they have to be invited to visit these countries and can't jiust decide to turn up.

Charles went to school in Australia and has always spoken fondly about this country but that doesn't mean he can come here whenever he wants to. He was here in 2005 just before marrying Camilla and said then that he would bring her next time but next time could be years away as the government doesn't really want to encourage the royals being here.

Even though the Queen is Queen of Australia she still has to be invited by the government to come here.
I thought the general train of thought on this topic was which countries we would 'like' to see C'nC visit rather than which countries we would like to see C'n'C 'invited' to visit!?!

Old 12-11-2009, 04:25 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina View Post
Given Prince Charles' bad attitude toward the Chinese government and his fondness for Dalai Lama's spiritual advice, I do not think that he will be invited to visit China. The Chinese tend to be pragmatic and can squeeze some fund from Prince's Trust. However, the Chinese government openly discourages governments and other prominent people from meeting Dalai Lama.
I would like Prince Charles and Camilla to visit China in the near future. In Regarding about Dalai Lama issue, my best sugguestion to brush away the issue and the difference. Both sides could focus on the common topics, such as climate change and environment protection,cultural heritage perservations, youth development, corporate social responsibilties.

Since Prince of Wales' Foundation has establisehd its branch in Beijing, I think it will be great for Prince Charles to strength the relationsips.

I wish Prince Charles and Camilla to visit some european countries and other commonwealth countries as well. Not next year for Australia because of the election.
Old 12-11-2009, 06:13 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
Do you really want me to list them? Seriously? I'm happy to do so, but that conversation has a way of getting the Moderator involved.
Whilst it may not be a suitable conversation for this thread, I am surprised why you feel your point of view might get a Moderator involved? I am not trying to be inflammatory, but could it perhaps be the "rabid anti-Charles" views that another poster referred to on the last page?
Old 12-11-2009, 06:17 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I thought the general train of thought on this topic was which countries we would like to see C'nC visit rather than which countries we would like to see C'n'C invited to visit!?!
I am glad you clarified, Connie!
Old 12-11-2009, 11:35 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by love_cc View Post
I would like Prince Charles and Camilla to visit China in the near future. In Regarding about Dalai Lama issue, my best sugguestion to brush away the issue and the difference. Both sides could focus on the common topics, such as climate change and environment protection,cultural heritage perservations, youth development, corporate social responsibilties.

Since Prince of Wales' Foundation has establisehd its branch in Beijing, I think it will be great for Prince Charles to strength the relationsips. ... [snipped]
China has adopted a tough stance on Dalai Lama's political activism especially after tensions surrounding the 2008 Olympic Games in Beijing.
Quote:
...the mainland Chinese government has accused the Dalai Lama of trying to separate Tibet from China, Beijing reacts angrily to any country or territory hosting the him.
The above can be applied to any dignitary meeting Dalai Lama. Nowadays China possesses enough economical and political might to enforce its will. I would like to see Prince Charles and the Clarence House propitiating the Chinese government. Of course, the Prince's Trust should be used for what it is good for.

Reference: Communist Chinese Denounce Dalai Lama Visit to Taiwan
Old 12-11-2009, 05:42 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
Whilst it may not be a suitable conversation for this thread, I am surprised why you feel your point of view might get a Moderator involved? I am not trying to be inflammatory, but could it perhaps be the "rabid anti-Charles" views that another poster referred to on the last page?
No that's not what I meant at all. If I were to start listing all of his actions over the last 30 years that caused me to not have any respect for Charles, historically on TRF, it would quickly get a 'We're not going to go back over all of that' from a moderator. Let's just ask Warren or Zonk or whomever is moderating today.... As I have been asked a direct question, am I allowed to answer it? Because I am more than happy to clarify for you Muriel.

I'm just not looking to PO a moderator unneccessarily...it being Christmas and all! ;-P
Old 12-11-2009, 09:00 PM
Aristocracy

It's only been a few years, but I'd love to see them back in the States!
Old 12-13-2009, 01:16 AM
Majesty

Quote:
I thought the general train of thought on this topic was which countries we would 'like' to see C'nC visit rather than which countries we would like to see C'n'C 'invited' to visit!?!

True but many posts were starting to seem to me to assume that they could just turn up - particularly those referring to why they should be going to Commonwealth countries and ones where the Queen is the Head of State. Posters arguing that visiting those countries would strenthen the position of the monarchy there for instance ignore the fact that the people in those countries may not want them to visit as they grapple with their own movement away from the royals.

As for where I would like them to visit - stay in Britain and shore up support for the monarchy in their own backyard rather than butting into other countries and their affairs.
Old 12-13-2009, 01:43 AM
Aristocracy

Bertie...I totally see/hear your point! I sometimes get the sensation by living in the 'colonies' so to speak, that the 'British' Monarchy is on the verge and should focus on the home front for the very survival of the institution! Cynicism has lead to Apathy which is leading to alarmingly dangerous ground indeed!!!!!

To remain on topic....I do think that C'n'C should be sent off at every opportunity/invite as when, to at least try and counter the present, pervasive rot!!!!!!

Old 12-13-2009, 01:51 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Bertie...I totally see/hear your point! I sometimes get the sensation by living in the 'colonies' so to speak, that the 'British' Monarchy is on the verge and should focus on the home front for the very survival of the institution! Cynicism has lead to Apathy which is leading to alarmingly dangerous ground indeed!!!!!

To remain on topic....I do think that C'n'C should be sent off at every opportunity/invite as when, to at least try and counter the present, pervasive rot!!!!!!

I think that the royals are sent as often as invited but they aren't invited all that often because the government's don't want the expense, don't see the need for them or don't want to upset their electorates or...

In other words - our governments' aren't inviting them so they can't come but when an invitation is sent a royal comes.
Old 12-14-2009, 06:10 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I think that the royals are sent as often as invited but they aren't invited all that often because the government's don't want the expense, don't see the need for them or don't want to upset their electorates or...

In other words - our governments' aren't inviting them so they can't come but when an invitation is sent a royal comes.
I think your statement presupposes a knowledge of comminucations between the Foreign Office in London, the counterparts in a number of countries around the world and BP/CH which I don't think exists in the public domain. If you are privy to inter-government communications, I am sure the statement is perfectly justifiable, otherwise I am inclined to believe that that is purely your assumption.

I am sure you are aware that typically the PoW and the DoC carry out 2 major overseas trips in a year. Thats the pattern that has been established for some time now - something incongruent with your suggestion that "when an invitation is sent a royal comes"
Old 12-14-2009, 07:59 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
I think your statement presupposes a knowledge of comminucations between the Foreign Office in London, the counterparts in a number of countries around the world and BP/CH which I don't think exists in the public domain. If you are privy to inter-government communications, I am sure the statement is perfectly justifiable, otherwise I am inclined to believe that that is purely your assumption.

I am sure you are aware that typically the PoW and the DoC carry out 2 major overseas trips in a year. Thats the pattern that has been established for some time now - something incongruent with your suggestion that "when an invitation is sent a royal comes"

The invitation, such as the one that Anne accepted for the bushfire memorial service earlier this year, is mostly for 'a royal' or can be for a specific royal. I am sure that you are fully aware that these things rarely happen with only a moments notice, unlike Anne's visit but with years of planning. Charles and The Queen both do two major tours a year but there are many other royals who can be invited with little notice given.

Royals can request an invitation as well to allow them to be in a foreign country for a particular event, e.g. 2005 Charles wanted to come to Australia for a reunion at Geelong Grammar which he had attended and so was able to link that to a tour but the government still had to issue an invitation.

Actually my mother worked for the British High Commission in Canberra so I do know how the communication on these issues is handled. Part of her job, at one stage, was to liase between the Australia Department of Foreign Affairs and the British Foreign Office with regard to the invitations and to whom they would be sent and for what purpose going in both directions.

Officially no royal can visit without an invitation but there are times when the suggestiong for the visit can come from Britain and often the invitation is for a royal rather than for a specific royal. Some are long term planning e.g. two or three years in advance and others at much shorter notice.

I don't know what you and your people are taught about inter-government workings in your education system but as part of our civics course the responsiblities of the different arms of government are taught and this matter regularly is taught - how the Head of State gets invited and the fact that governments send invitations to foreign leaders (not just the royals but all foreign leaders e.g. Obama can't just decide to go somewhere at the moment - he has to be invited by the government of the country he wishes to visit and have the approval of his own government) and that our leaders also have to be invited but that they can suggest that it would be nice to make a visit and therefore get the invitation. This isn't something hidden from the people but rather something that we teach here - I am surprised that you seem to think that this sort of communication, in general, isn't something about which ordinary people would have knowledge.
Old 12-14-2009, 08:42 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
The invitation, such as the one that Anne accepted for the bushfire memorial service earlier this year, is mostly for 'a royal' or can be for a specific royal. I am sure that you are fully aware that these things rarely happen with only a moments notice, unlike Anne's visit but with years of planning. Charles and The Queen both do two major tours a year but there are many other royals who can be invited with little notice given.

Royals can request an invitation as well to allow them to be in a foreign country for a particular event, e.g. 2005 Charles wanted to come to Australia for a reunion at Geelong Grammar which he had attended and so was able to link that to a tour but the government still had to issue an invitation.

Actually my mother worked for the British High Commission in Canberra so I do know how the communication on these issues is handled. Part of her job, at one stage, was to liase between the Australia Department of Foreign Affairs and the British Foreign Office with regard to the invitations and to whom they would be sent and for what purpose going in both directions.

Officially no royal can visit without an invitation but there are times when the suggestiong for the visit can come from Britain and often the invitation is for a royal rather than for a specific royal. Some are long term planning e.g. two or three years in advance and others at much shorter notice.

I don't know what you and your people are taught about inter-government workings in your education system but as part of our civics course the responsiblities of the different arms of government are taught and this matter regularly is taught - how the Head of State gets invited and the fact that governments send invitations to foreign leaders (not just the royals but all foreign leaders e.g. Obama can't just decide to go somewhere at the moment - he has to be invited by the government of the country he wishes to visit and have the approval of his own government) and that our leaders also have to be invited but that they can suggest that it would be nice to make a visit and therefore get the invitation. This isn't something hidden from the people but rather something that we teach here - I am surprised that you seem to think that this sort of communication, in general, isn't something about which ordinary people would have knowledge.
It is well understood that royals or government representatives for that matter, only visit another state when invited.

Hoever, IMO, little of what you have said is either new, or contains information that would suggest you might have an information to back up your previous contention that "when an invitation is sent a royal comes", or "the royals are sent as often as invited" or "but they aren't invited all that often" - all of which seem to suggest that the royal family either does not have enough invitations to visit countries around the world, or go running to visit a country the moment any invitation may materialise.
Old 02-15-2010, 04:36 AM
Nobility

OMG he is going to visit Czech republic!! I'm so happy...
Old 09-23-2010, 05:37 AM
Heir Apparent

It would be interesting to have C&C visit Singapore, Malaysia, Thaniland and possibly NZ sometime soon
Old 09-23-2010, 11:59 PM
Nobility

Not all Royal visits are at the Government's invite

There are official tours, where the royal is invited by the government, but sometimes the are 'private' visits. Often a royal (not the Queen or Prince Charles usually) will visit one of their charities or regiments.

Prince Edward travels a lot because of the Duke of Edinburgh Awards. In the last year and a half Canada has been visited at least twice by The Princess Royal, twice by The Earl of Wessex (once with Sophie), once by The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall, once by the Queen and Prince Philip and I believe once by The Duke of York. Princess Alexandra was supposed to visit, but it was canceled because of the swine flu. The only official visits were by the top four.

Tags
camilla, charles, international travel, overseas trips