The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-04-2009, 04:30 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo of Palatine View Post
If the BRF still think they can save the Crown of Australia, they will send not Charles and Camilla but wait till there is a new Royal couple: William and wife. IMHO, of course.
My sense is that Australia is probably beyond "saving" now. That said, I think C&C should engage with the Australains regularly, irrespective of past reactions, and in time, I am sure Wills and his wife will follow.

Old 03-04-2009, 06:10 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
As for Charles and Camilla being here at the same time as Mary and Frederick - I don't think so. They would get no coverage as all the coverage would be on the 'Aussie' Crown Princess of Denmark, as happened when she and Frederick came here early in 2005 when Charles was also here in the weeks before his wedding to Camilla. I had to look very hard to find any coverage of Charles visit that year but Mary and Frederick were front page news everywhere.

The facts are the most Aussies simply don't care any more about Charles. He is just there but doesn't excite anyone anymore. I doubt if a visit by him and Charles would even rate much of a mention. Sure there would be some coverage but nothing like Mary and Frederick got in 2005.
Actually that Charles got no coverage and Frederik and Mary were front page news everywhere is not correct. I monitored the coverage as I was curious, their visits coincided for one week. ( The Danes were in Australia for 2weeks on official engagements and one week holidaying) TV coverage they got equal amounts, not the major news story but later in the news bulletin. Charles usually was shown first and then the Danes. Women's magazines, the Danes got 2 page coverage and Charles got 1/2 to a page. Newspapers depended on where each royal was, front page was given if they were in that city, if not both got coverage further in the paper. By the second week of the Danes visit the coverage had petered off, some negative stuff appeared "are they still here?" Short attention spans!

Charles drew respectable crowds, 500 came out to see him at the Sydney Opera House on a weekday and the press coverage was all positive. Only one negative story right at the end over whether his planned marriage to Camilla would be legal, that was it. The Danes did draw large crowds, but an Australian girl becoming a princess,the hype after their wedding, it would have been surprising if they hadn't attracted large crowds. But then the official appearances since ( last year) not many people around. ( To be fair, not a whole lot of advance publicity was given either)

Whether or not most Aussies care about Charles, media outlets still report on royals. British royals still make the Australian news for major occasions, the younger royals are still fodder for the women's magazines, Kate Middleton was a regular covergirl for them last year. Lots of photoshopped pictures of her and William together, ( basically if the real ones aren't available we'll fake them!)

Old 03-04-2009, 11:47 AM
Heir Presumptive

Belgium and Lige especially !
Old 12-04-2009, 07:35 AM
Heir Apparent

I think C&C have had a reasonably successful trip to Canada. I would like to see them increase their engaement with Canada, and to visit regularly - a combination of work and holiday trips, and gradually increase their visibility and recognition in Canada. I would also like to see William (and his wife, at the appropriate time) start to show some attention to Canada.
Old 12-06-2009, 04:28 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

I wish they would come to yorkshire, and also visit Denmark.
Old 12-06-2009, 06:11 PM

i would like to see them visit north wales and somewere like croatia or maybe south africa
Old 12-06-2009, 08:06 PM
Heir Presumptive

Wales Ireland Spain Russia USA Canada and the rest of the Commenwealth.
Old 12-06-2009, 08:36 PM
Heir Presumptive

Well Royalfan, that could be a double edged sword. Given the recent very lackluster reception afforded Charles and Camilla in Canada, I am not sure inflicting them on the other members of the Commonwealth immediately is a good idea. It might well backfire.
Old 12-06-2009, 09:42 PM
Courtier

Australia, of course, and maybe some of the Pacific Commonwealth countries. I hope they come within a few years. If C&C do come, it needs to be across the entire country, not a Sydney-Canberra-Melbourne visit that the Queen did last time she was here. Any visit will probably be overshadowed by press coverage saying 'Is this the man we want as Head of State?'
Old 12-06-2009, 10:45 PM
Heir Presumptive

also Brunei ,Japan and Denmark.
Old 12-06-2009, 11:41 PM
Heir Presumptive

Denmark is definitely on my list, though I think I would prefer a state visit, with Denmark visiting the UK. The DRF and BRF together in all their splendor and glory. It would make me drool.
New Zealand is my list of course.

Also, Thailand and Cambodia would be absolutely marvelous!
Old 12-07-2009, 10:28 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
Well Royalfan, that could be a double edged sword. Given the recent very lackluster reception afforded Charles and Camilla in Canada, I am not sure inflicting them on the other members of the Commonwealth immediately is a good idea. It might well backfire.
Would you like to further expand on your point?
Old 12-07-2009, 10:35 AM
Heir Presumptive

Since you ask: If they receive the same lack of enthusiasm in the other Commonwealth countries when visiting, I doubt that would be helpful in retaining those countries in the Commonwealth if and when Charles inherits. Perhaps out of sight would be more likely to keep the status quo. I dont see this as being a problem while QEII is still alive, but Charles and Camilla are a different subject. Even the Queen's other children always recieved a very enthusiastic welcome in Canada, which was distinctly not the case on the C and C tour just finished. When you consider that he is the Heir, that is a matter of concern, IMO.
Old 12-07-2009, 12:31 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Fan View Post
Wales Ireland Spain Russia USA Canada and the rest of the Commenwealth.
You are a true fan Royal Fan. I reckon more visits to the Commonwealth countries and Europe. They've done the USA and Canada, perhaps they will get an invite to Crown Princess Victoria's wedding, that would be really nice.
Old 12-07-2009, 12:50 PM
Heir Presumptive

I've been pondering if they will attend the wedding. Now that Charles has a wife, it removes the awkwardness of bringing that plus one. I would love to see them at the wedding actually, Victoria is an equal of Charles. Both heirs to the thrones.
Old 12-07-2009, 02:20 PM
Heir Presumptive

Well, for selfish reasons, I'd love to see Prince Charles, and DoC visit the United States, for a state dinner at the White House with Barac and Michelle Obama, that would be fantastic. One can dream, right?
Old 12-07-2009, 05:59 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
I thought they were very well received in Canada.
Old 12-07-2009, 07:47 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

I hope that they will attend the wedding of CPss Victoria of Sweden. It will be the first time we will see pictures of the Duchess of Cornwall at a royal gathering.
Old 12-08-2009, 05:27 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
I hope that they will attend the wedding of CPss Victoria of Sweden. It will be the first time we will see pictures of the Duchess of Cornwall at a royal gathering.
Lets not forget the gathering of European royals at BP for Prince Charles' 60th birthday. That said, it would be lovely to see C&C at a major European royal wedding.
Old 12-08-2009, 05:34 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Since you ask: If they receive the same lack of enthusiasm in the other Commonwealth countries when visiting, I doubt that would be helpful in retaining those countries in the Commonwealth if and when Charles inherits. Perhaps out of sight would be more likely to keep the status quo. I dont see this as being a problem while QEII is still alive, but Charles and Camilla are a different subject. Even the Queen's other children always recieved a very enthusiastic welcome in Canada, which was distinctly not the case on the C and C tour just finished. When you consider that he is the Heir, that is a matter of concern, IMO.
I think the issues are slightly more complex than that. Canada has been displaying a marked indifference to the monarchy for some time, and it is important that if the BRF want to hold on to Canada, they start to engage more actively. The Queen's other children are really not relevant here.

As regards the Commonwealth, ensuring Charles' succession as the head will be an important step. So far, he has tended to stay away from Commonwealth issues (other than attending the 2007 CHOGM in Kampala), but has slowly been increasing his visits to the Commonwealth. This is an important step in Charles' increased involvement in Commonwealth affairs. If Charles succeeds his mother as the head of the Commonwealth, it will be a consensual decision. It is not a decision that is likely to countries leaving the commonwealth, IMO.

Tags
camilla, charles, international travel, overseas trips