Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall: Visit to the US - January 27-28, 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
THAT necklace

Warren said:
Camilla has worn two "new" pieces of jewellery so far during the US trip.

See here.
°
I have to say I think that necklace is hideous. I'm kind of new here, sorry if this is the wrong thread. But I wonder if Charles designed it specially for Camilla, we all know how he loves her decolletage!:wub:

Lady Marmalade said:
Help!!

Okay everyone. That necklace...STUNNING! Is there any history on it?

Camilla's necklace was a gift presented on a recent overseas visit per this link: BBC NEWS | UK | Royal couple tour the Big Apple

The duchess wore a spectacular necklace - 36 rubies interlaced with diamonds - which Clarence House said had been presented to her while she was accompanying Charles on other recent overseas duties.

Than it´s clear, the necklace is from Saudi-Arabia. King Fahd is the only one who can afford such generously presents. And he is a friend of Charles. Who else should spend such gifts?

Camilla stuns Rod with her rock collection

The Duchess of Cornwall dazzled Philadelphia's high society and rocker Rod Stewart early today as she stepped out in an elaborate ruby and diamond necklace.
Camilla joined the Prince of Wales at a glitzy white-tie gala at the US city's Academy of Music for its 150th anniversary where Stewart was the star act. The Duchess's expensive jewels - 36 rubies interlaced with diamonds - were her own. Stewart said of the necklace after meeting the royals backstage: "It was gorgeous. She always looks glamorous to me. "I can see what he sees in her quite honestly, between you, me and the lamp post."
Governor of Pennsylvania Edward Rendell, who had earlier met the couple on their visit to the US east coast city's historic district, remarked on seeing the Duchess: "Doesn't she look awesome?"
Camilla matched the colour of the rubies with a deep red velvet Robinson Valentine floor length evening gown.
Nice taste, Rod! :) ;)

Stupid question but, can anyone explain this "between you, me and the lamp post." Is it a phrase? Thanks for answer.

hornsen said:
Stupid question but, can anyone explain this "between you, me and the lamp post." Is it a phrase? Thanks for answer.

It's an expression meaning "confidentially" or "just between us". The words bedpost or gatepost are sometimes used in place of lamp post.

Thank you, selrahc4. I think Camilla has a really hot admirer in good old Rod.:lol:

selrahc4 said:
It's an expression meaning "confidentially" or "just between us". The words bedpost or gatepost are sometimes used in place of lamp post.
Thanks for the explantion. I was wondering the meaning of the phrase as well when I read the article.
Look forward to their day in NYC.

BeatrixFan said:
I think they'll go Zonk. When was it announced that Anne/Tim and Edward/Sophie were going? Buckingham Palace haven't announced who's going AFAIK but I have a feeling it will C&C.

The idea that Anne/Tim and Edward/Sophie were going to the celebrations were discussed in this thread http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f16/70th-birthday-celebrations-king-harald-v-norway-11660.html. My mistake..not official.

I tried to find official confirmation but haven't seen anything from either Palace. I must admit, Charles/Camilla and Anne/Tim make more sense than Edward/Sophie...around the same age group. Anne godmother to Haakon, etc.

I think also, the Brits are possibly the closest to the the Norwegians. If the Queen can't go herself, then I imagine she'd send the next best thing, that being Charles and Camilla.

Interesting how much media coverage Charles and Camilla got this time when they visited the US and how many people tried to catch a glimpse of them. I recall people saying that there was not much interest in them when they first visited the US (aka Dianaland) last year. Is it just my impression or did the interest in them grow?

The Prince, in the City, Dribbles and Scores

Prince Charles and Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall, were a bit later than expected in arriving at the gymnasium of the Harlem Children’s Zone yesterday, where two teams of seventh and eighth graders were nearing the end of a basketball scrimmage.

-------------------------------------------

I am still looking for an article that mentions his quip about not being there in person, it is just a video recording. :lol:

Last edited:
Camilla's hat is gorgeous! The picture is gorgeous!

Charles receives green award

And as he accepted the award the Prince said: "I must warn you at the beginning that I am in fact a video recording. I have only made a virtual flight across the Atlantic and am virtually half dead and only virtually royal. I am a mere hologramatic visitor from cyberspace who could not be more flattered and honoured to be receiving this award."

:lol: :lol: :ROFLMAO:

The Full Speech

A speech by HRH The Prince of Wales on receiving the Global Citizen Award from Harvard Medical School

Last edited:
Skydragon said:

And as he accepted the award the Prince said: "I must warn you at the beginning that I am in fact a video recording. I have only made a virtual flight across the Atlantic and am virtually half dead and only virtually royal. I am a mere hologramatic visitor from cyberspace who could not be more flattered and honoured to be receiving this award."

It's really up to the point what he said: he was awarded because of things he in person did. Why should only a "cyberspace"-prince appear to receive the award?

And while I find it okay that environmentalists say something against that trip, I don't find it appropriate that the media is reporting about it that way - who but the journalists are the most frequent travellers - always trying to be the first to be there and report live from events when it would have been enough to buy the rights to transmit a film made by a local cameraman? It's the pot calling the kettle black - only that this specific kettle is trying as much as he can to be clean/green!

Good quote - thank you, Skydragon.:flowers:

Skydragon said:

OMG!!! Prince Charles has a great sense of humor.:lol:

From the prince's speech:

"Tragically, we have also largely lost the once common belief that mankind is, above all, a participant in the natural world, with a sacred – yes, a sacred – duty of stewardship to fulfil. In some of our actions we now behave as if we were “Masters of Nature”, and in others as mere bystanders. If we could rediscover that “sense of harmony”, that sense of being a part of and not apart from Nature, and so regain our sense of stewardship, we would perhaps be less likely to see the world as some sort of gigantic production system, capable of ever-increasing outputs for our benefit – at no cost."

Maybe this explains the view the prince has of himself when it comes to Britain: he, the historian whose right to the throne comes from his Stuart = Steward (the name of the family came from their ancient position as High Stewards of Scotland) ancestry, doesn't IMHO used that word by chance but by purpose. Because that's the way he sees himself and the role/duty he tries to fulfill/do.

It's an interesting speech and I believe it was right that he went there in person - to reach this important and influencial public directly, in a personal contact no video could have created. The US is one of the most important societies that must be reached when it comes to saving our planet. With China and the other Asian states already on the horizon as getting more and more means to consume and thus create rubbish/immissons, it is important to do more in the West. Especially in the US as it's a large and rich country where a lot can still be done.

Good idea to go there. :flowers:

More pictures at getty and Gallery of pictures from yahoo! news. Both TRH's looked very good. I was anticipating some more fabulous jewels though. ;)

I loved Prince Charles's speech, thank you for posting it Skydragon.

Btw, today I saw a a coverage of their visit in CNN (for the first time these days but maybe I'd missed them). It was quite flattering. Even little boys in USA seem to know who Prince Charles is. And there certainly seemed to be huge interest in their visit.

Jo of Palatine said:
Interesting how much media coverage Charles and Camilla got this time when they visited the US and how many people tried to catch a glimpse of them. I recall people saying that there was not much interest in them when they first visited the US (aka Dianaland) last year. Is it just my impression or did the interest in them grow?

The last time they came over they went to Washington DC. That area is used to the comings and goings of the rich, famous and royal. Philly is a different story. I think the Queen came for our Bicentennial in 1976 but no one since except the Grimaldi's. The Monaco royals come for private family visits not official visits so they are kept very low key. Also in NY he went to Harlem, I don't think they don't see too much royalty there either. I also think that people are just glad to see him happy finally.

I really liked the gown Camilla wore to the Academy of Music. The color was gorgeous. I think I am one of the rare few on this forum who felt the necklace was a little over the top. Just matter of taste.

libra65 said:
I think I am one of the rare few on this forum who felt the necklace was a little over the top. Just matter of taste.

But where should she wear it except in the States where people love things that are over the top and greater than anywhere else in the world? Can't see her wearing this necklace to a visit of Norway. :flowers:

That necklace WOW I heard one reporter say valued at 25 million. It is very large but with that beautiful dress really stunning.

An article from the Times:Prince paints his transatlantic trip green to offset his carbon critics - Britain - Times Online

Prince paints his transatlantic trip green to offset the carbon critics

An interesting quote, IMHO: "The visit had a special private significance for them because Edward VII, known as “Bertie”, later had an affair with Alice Keppel, the Duchess of Cornwall’s great-grandmother. At Saturday night’s gala, the royal couple sat in the same box at the Philadelphia Academy of Music that the future Edward VII used 147 years ago.
They made no public mention of the romantic connection between their two ancestors. But some of the wellwishers knew about the link. “It’s almost like karma — as if they have come back in another life and they were meant to be together,” said Jennifer Andres, 31, who was visiting from Prestwick, Ayrshire."

We can safely assume that Ms. Andres who is quoted here, represents not only her opinion but that of the editor who published the article. otherwise he wouldn't have printed it, that's for sure.

So now it's karma what once was a repetition of an adulterous relationship of a prince and a woman with loose morals... How times have changed. And for what better reasoning, thinks the Camilla-fan... :flowers:

DAZZLING CAMILLA ROMANCES THE STONE IN PHILLY

The compliments were flooding in thick and fast for the Duchess of Cornwall over the weekend as she made a glittering impression across the Atlantic. Camilla appeared to have brought some of the crown jewels with her for the trip to America's east coast, where she wore a spectacular ruby and diamond necklace to a gala dinner in Philadelphia.
The spectacular piece wasn't a royal heirloom, however, but a private
gift. "She was given it on an official tour," confirmed Clarence House, "we can't confirm from whom". Likely to have been given during one of last year's tours to the Middle East, the elaborate necklace could be worth as much as £500,000. The rubies perfectly matched Camilla's low-cut, burgundy gown by her favourite design label Robinson Valentine, and garnered compliments from the Duchess' fellow guests. "Doesn't she look awesome," said Edward Rendell, governer of Pennsylvania.

Pictures:
The stunning ruby and diamond necklace worn by Camilla at Saturday's musical gala in Philadelphia was apparently given to her during an official foreign tour - picture
Camilla continued to dazzle on Sunday when she met up with Hollywood royalty - Meryl Streep - at the Harvard Club in New York - picture
"I can see what he sees in her quite honestly," said Rod after his encounter with the glamorous Duchess - picture

Thank you again to all of you who posted all these nice pics and reports about the US trip of Charles&Camilla!
Camilla again looked stunning yesterday evening, and the Prince too. What a great couple!:wub:
I think we all in the ´Prince and Duchess forum´ had a wonderful weekend!:flowers:
This morning i was very surprised to see a little, but good report about Prince Charles receiving the award in the german news on TV, at a serious channel...
I think this could be a good sign that the germans start seeing in the Prince more than the evil ex-husband of Diana. I start hoping again...:lol:

Jo of Palatine said:
But where should she wear it except in the States where people love things that are over the top and greater than anywhere else in the world? Can't see her wearing this necklace to a visit of Norway. :flowers:

Let's not do an overall generalization:ermm:

In Los Angeles and maybe in New York people might go for over the top...but that is not truly representative of all States:flowers: Philadelphia, PA is truly great mix of all Americana. You have weatlhy people, people in the middle and people struggling to get thru the day and it has a great history to boot!

Nonetheless it was a beautiful necklace.

Zonk said:
Let's not do an overall generalization:ermm:

In Los Angeles and maybe in New York people might go for over the top...but that is not truly representative of all States:flowers: Philadelphia, PA is truly great mix of all Americana. You have weatlhy people, people in the middle and people struggling to get thru the day and it has a great history to boot!

Nonetheless it was a beautiful necklace.

What I meant was that the Norwegian Royals are not that rich, so sporting such a necklace would be not appropriate. While on a bash like that in one of the centres of the East Coast one could expect some ladies at least to wear jewelery that resembled Royal heirlooms. :flowers:

She could always pair it with the Queen Mother's Ruby Tiara and the Ruby items that the Queen wears with that tiara forming a Queen Maryish parure. She could always wear her deep red velvet gown and what really would set it all off would be a nice red sash and dazzling breast star. Just dreaming is all...

Avalon said:
DAZZLING CAMILLA ROMANCES THE STONE IN PHILLY

The compliments were flooding in thick and fast for the Duchess of Cornwall over the weekend as she made a glittering impression across the Atlantic. Camilla appeared to have brought some of the crown jewels with her for the trip to America's east coast, where she wore a spectacular ruby and diamond necklace to a gala dinner in Philadelphia.
The spectacular piece wasn't a royal heirloom, however, but a private
gift. "She was given it on an official tour," confirmed Clarence House, "we can't confirm from whom". Likely to have been given during one of last year's tours to the Middle East, the elaborate necklace could be worth as much as £500,000. The rubies perfectly matched Camilla's low-cut, burgundy gown by her favourite design label Robinson Valentine, and garnered compliments from the Duchess' fellow guests. "Doesn't she look awesome," said Edward Rendell, governer of Pennsylvania.

Those were rubies? The pictures were so dark that they looked like sapphires. Interesting if we could see it converted to a tiara? Photoshop anyone?

Also interesting that they shared the same opera box as their ancestors 147 yrs earlier......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom