Charles and Camilla: Visit to Japan, Brunei & Indonesia - October 27-November 4, 2008

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Where can I found the number of events that the DOC has attened this year?

We seem to get very patronising posts here. When I learned how to debate, good schools do have debating teams usually, we were taught to give a balanced argument and to be ready to argue exactly the opposite if asked. We were told never to get insulting but to think about things in a rational way and not to get emotionally involved.

Often people forget to practice what they preach. I'm sure we have seen it on other threads where certain indivuals have a certain view which they espouse, and when some of their statements are questioned (or when inconsistencies in their statements are pointed out), they seem to forget the principle that you have just pointed out!

I would also like to see this no doubt someone can tell us but as she was recovering from an operation probably she didn´t attend that many.

fail to see the relevance of mentioning President Bush in this thread. He is neither Mr.Gore nor Prince Charles, who are eco-fanatics obsessed with carbon footprints and other green stuff. Why to make unfavourable remarks for no good reason?

C'mon it was only for comparison purpose. Each time the POW takes a plane, we can read some headlines close to "Charles will destroy the world with his trips":ROFLMAO:

Other personnalities are far less eco-friendly than the prince, and Clarence House is smart enough to give this famous "Carbon Footprints" to the press (It(s not the case from the Elysee for exemple, nor the White House i think). I just say that, as usual, it's quite unfair to use this argument against royal trips in general and the Pow in particular.

IMO this thread is now a pure delirium. I really don't see the problem about the POW touring alone during a small part of an official trip. The Countess of Wessex had some engagements alone in Germany lately. I don't remember comments about a "lazy" Earl of Wessex.

I really don´t think this is about the fact that she is cutting the visit short at the moment, it is more about the excuse that was given for this.
I don´t know if the Earl of Wessex was supposed to have accompanied the Countess on this trip or not, if he wasn´t then what is the comparison?

Tss tss what a fuss foR nothing, as usual.....

[SNIPPED]

-"If Diana was...blah blah blah". The never ending discussion, and of course a total nonsense. No comment.(Only one thing perhaps:during royal tours i prefere an always beaming Duchess (Caribean 2008) than a "Where's the camera OMG look at me i'm so sad" Princess (Korea 1992). Personnal taste of course.:whistling:

-"She's lazy". Frankly for a 61 years old woman, royal for only 3 years, she's doing a very decent job and and the number of her engagements is far to be shameful. If i remember well the number of engagements of a 19 years old Princess of Wales 3 years after the wedding was not spectacular. (Of course if you compare with the Princess Royal, but she's hyperactive isn't she?:ROFLMAO:).

Yeah, well what's the point saying it's a nonsense when you're still comparing them?

As for your other points, I surely agree.

I think that perhaps Clarence House was trying to avoid a "Camilla-goes-off-in-a-huff-and-leaves-Charles-during-a-tour" headline that could occur when Camilla comes back to the UK before Charles does. Unfortunately, they tried to "explain" her leaving the tour, and explanations don't satisfy anyone. Explanations often look like excuses. "Never complain, never explain" are good words to live by.

C'mon it was only for comparison purpose. Each time the POW takes a plane, we can read some headlines close to "Charles will destroy the world with his trips":ROFLMAO:

Other personnalities are far less eco-friendly than the prince, and Clarence House is smart enough to give this famous "Carbon Footprints" to the press (It(s not the case from the Elysee for exemple, nor the White House i think). I just say that, as usual, it's quite unfair to use this argument against royal trips in general and the Pow in particular.

IMO this thread is now a pure delirium. I really don't see the problem about the POW touring alone during a small part of an official trip. The Countess of Wessex had some engagements alone in Germany lately. I don't remember comments about a "lazy" Earl of Wessex.
Still it has nothing to do with President Bush. Neither American mass media nor President Bush criticise Prince Charles and Duchess of Cornwall for travelling in such eco-unfriendly manner. Prince Charles is expected to practise what he preaches. So let him and the ever-clumsy Clarence House reap the consequences of Prince Charles' teachings. I find it inappropriate to make a scapegoat out of President Bush.

I don't find anything unusual with the decision. Camilla is accompanying the POW on visits to two other monarchies, but she will leave the tour before he heads to a republic. Don't get me wrong. It's not that Indonesia, as a country, is less important. Simply that it is not unusual that a royal will visit with other royals. Prince Charles is neither the Prime Minister, nor the monarch of Great Britain right now and this is not a state visit. Just IMHO.

Neither American mass media nor President Bush criticise Prince Charles and Duchess of Cornwall for travelling in such eco-unfriendly manner

Mmm I didn"t want so say that. Mass media has now the habit to critisize the POW and his several air trips and not particulary the other dignitaries. But you're right Bush and Air Force one were a bad exemple. I will use Sarkozy and his Airbus A330 next time...;)

Yeah, well what's the point saying it's a nonsense when you're still comparing them?

Exact. My bad. But sadly sometimes i feel that's it's the only comprehensive comparision for some people here.:whistling:

Well well i did't expect a such sensitive and polemical thread. And the tour has not even started. Their will be blood over there very soon...:w00t2:

Although the court circular is usually where people get their statistics from it is incrreasingly useless for totting up how many engagements Charles is involved with. E.g yesterday he gave a speech via video-link to a conference of tour-operators holding their annual conference in the Canary Islands, but this was not included in the court circular because he didn't actually go there - nor was the fact that he would have had to have taken time -possibly as much as a day to write and deliver the speech to video - that also was not recorded in the court circular.

I am more interested in how many engagements the Duchess has been involved in, not to criticize just out of curiosity, I would like to know if she goes to engagements alone etc. As I said before if she is still getting over her operation she probably hasn´t been doing that many. Some people do take much longer to get over these things than others and I find that royals are supposed to stand much longer than I would like to or anyone else actually.

That was a lot of engagements for someone who was to have/or had just had a serious operation.
Very taxing.

She had her surgery quite a while ago and it takes 4 to 6 weeks to recover. If someone points out that she is old, she is not. Not today. 61 years olds do many things. Now, They have every right to do what they feel is right for them. Charles is the big "carbon footprint" person. Most people would have never thought much about how they travel, except what is good for the goose, etc. Again, they are top echelon for their country, one doesn't expect they will arrive in a goat cart. If it is all right with them, why the big announcement. Probably, most people wouldn't have noticed. Outisde of the UK and the countries they are visiting, very few take note. Sites like this make it look like the whole world is watching. They aren't. Too much bigger stuff going on.

To be more precise:
-The DOC undertook 222 engagements during the period from 1st april 2006 to 31 march 2007 (CH 2007 annual report).
-HRH undertook 201 engagements during the period from 1st april 2007 to 31 march 2008. (CH 2008 annual report).

Just wanted to chime in and say that I agree with a lot of what's been said already, it is really embarrassing to be reading these comments and the Prince's staff is really calling upon us to ridicule them... Not only does her mother in law the Queen and her husband the Duke of Edinburgh work more in a year (and they are both 80+, Philip is nearly 90), but when I was thinking that they were grooming Camilla to become Queen one day and rooting for more support by their activities- and then they do this! How completely and utterly stupid!

How fun can it be for the diplomats to maintain the two countries diplomatic relations after reading a statement like this? And number of engagements, I would say that the Queen and Prince Philip probably work at least twice as hard as Camilla, they even do state visits abroad at their advanced ages!

And then this:

Who's birthday is it? Not Camilla's for heavens sake! If the birthday boy and future king can cope doing this trip before his own birthday bash then so can Camilla! Besides, the birthday festivities aren't until 13-14 November, which means that there's more than a week between coming home and partying.... It's not like Milla needs to go home and scrub the house for a week or anything :D

I am sure that Lady Elizabeth Anson's (hope I got her name right) is doing all of the party planning - she is a big favorite with the Royal Family. It's not as if Camilla will be blowing up balloons and climbing ladders to string up banners and such to prepare for this party.
That is what staff is for - to do all of the hard work.

He is neither Mr.Gore nor Prince Charles, who are eco-fanatics obsessed with carbon footprints and other green stuff
I don't think either could be called eco fanatics, they just try to do their bit to help the planet and the creatures that live on it!:rolleyes:
Still it has nothing to do with President Bush. Neither American mass media nor President Bush criticise Prince Charles and Duchess of Cornwall for travelling in such eco-unfriendly manner. Prince Charles is expected to practise what he preaches.
Did everyone miss the fact that when Charles or Camilla travel anywhere, they offset their carbon footprint and that of their staff!:rolleyes:

She had her surgery quite a while ago and it takes 4 to 6 weeks to recover. If someone points out that she is old, she is not. Not today. 61 years olds do many things. Now, They have every right to do what they feel is right for them. Charles is the big "carbon footprint" person. Most people would have never thought much about how they travel, except what is good for the goose, etc. Again, they are top echelon for their country, one doesn't expect they will arrive in a goat cart. If it is all right with them, why the big announcement.---snipped
Not everyone takes just 4 to 6 weeks to recover, there are many women who take 6 - 8 months, many more who find it hard to recover from the anaesthetic used. If there have been no complications and depending on your general fitness level, some do recover in a few days but this tends to apply when it is a vaginal removal. We do roughly know that Camilla suffered from some type of complication after she was discharged from hospital.

Some people in their 60's do all sorts of things, others do not, there are many in their 50's who are unable to work due to ill health, everyone is different.

As I have already said, Charles and Camilla offset their carbon footprint.
I am sure that Lady Elizabeth Anson's (hope I got her name right) is doing all of the party planning - she is a big favorite with the Royal Family. It's not as if Camilla will be blowing up balloons and climbing ladders to string up banners and such to prepare for this party.
That is what staff is for - to do all of the hard work.
Have you ever had experience of organising an event such as this? Because if you have you will know that no matter how good your servants are, personal supervision is the only way to ensure a success! Balloons and banners, heaven forbid!:whistling:

Personally I do not care about carbon footprint of Prince Charles, his wife, and their staff. He can walk to Japan, Indoneasia, and Brunei, if he wishes. The point was that there was no need to drag President Bush's trips into an eco-organic debate.

Personally I do not care about carbon footprint of Prince Charles, his wife, and their staff. He can walk to Japan, Indoneasia, and Brunei, if he wishes. The point was that there was no need to drag President Bush's trips into an eco-organic debate.
I believe it was merely an example and can see no reason to take offence. I can't see where organic comes into it, the point was being made that at least Charles tries to be eco friendly, whereas our esteemed leaders (and ex leader) Bush and Blair really don't care how much damage they do with their farewell tours, to the environment!:rolleyes:

Let us abstain from the "Prince Charles's trips vs. trips of Presidents Bush and Sarkozy as well as former Prime Minister Blair" debate as the latter has nothing to do with the upcoming trip.

Let us abstain from this "Prince Charles vs. Presidents Bush and Sarkozy as well as former Prime Minister Blair" debate as the latter has nothing to do with the upcoming trip.
It is very relevant, the media in the UK are already bleating about the carbon cost, but failed to compare it to the carbon footprint of Blair, Prescot or Bush. At least Charles offsets his and that of his wife and staff. You may not care about being eco friendly but others do and are allowed to make their point regarding it, unless the forum rules have changed!

How stupid and thoughtless can a publication be?

Where's the pampered prince in this crisis? | Mail Online

Where's the pampered prince in this crisis?

A catastrophe for capitalism; the new austerity; financial Armageddon: however you describe the national crisis, few of us have known such dark days. And at such times, we turn instinctively to our leaders - political, spiritual and royal.
Now, more than ever, is the moment when our future King and his Queen could - and should - lead by example.

So how does Prince Charles show he is standing with us through these troubled times? By announcing he is pushing ahead with his £250,000 ten-day jolly to Japan and Indonesia to promote trade and inter-faith understanding with Muslims. "

The crisis the world faces at the moment is a crisis started by greedy bankers and politicians who created a climate of mistrust. Japan has been through a similar crisis 20 years agao and following that, has changed the laws, so today Japan is the nation with the most potential to help Europe in this crisis. What could be better than to send The Prince of Wales to this most important partner of the EU, a person people can believe when he says that he is not in for the fast win but for the long-term stability?

A jolly? A very necessary duty for the Prince and the right one at the right time. Or should he stop doing engagements because he wants to save money? Spending his time instead cleaning his home and growing vegetables on his own on sending his staff out into the street? And that stupid propsal from a paper who has no qualms sending people to all corners of the world to follow celebs or report about fashion shows? Come on!

How stupid and thoughtless can a publication be?----snipped----
The crisis the world faces at the moment is a crisis started by greedy bankers and politicians who created a climate of mistrust. Japan has been through a similar crisis 20 years agao and following that, has changed the laws, so today Japan is the nation with the most potential to help Europe in this crisis. What could be better than to send The Prince of Wales to this most important partner of the EU, a person people can believe when he says that he is not in for the fast win but for the long-term stability?

A jolly? A very necessary duty for the Prince and the right one at the right time. Or should he stop doing engagements because he wants to save money? Spending his time instead cleaning his home and growing vegetables on his own on sending his staff out into the street? And that stupid proposal from a paper who has no qualms sending people to all corners of the world to follow celebs or report about fashion shows? Come on!
Jo, :flowers:you ask how stupid, but this write up is the usual vitriol from Amanda Platell. As you can see from this Wiki article, she is described as poisonous. She doesn't appear to have much understanding of the credit crisis poor little thing, well she wouldn't, the amount she is probably paid. :flowers:

I'm looking forward to this. Fingers crossed for a tiara outing and I'm sure the Emperor will be generous with an Imperial Order for Her Royal Highness. Fingers crossed.

And a smaller size kimono than they arranged for Princess Diana. :flowers:

The heck with all this stuff. Beatrix Fan how are you? Good to see your post here.

The heck with all this stuff. Beatrix Fan how are you? Good to see your post here.

Getting there thanks darling! I'll drop you a PM. Must stay on topic or our manicured knuckles will be rapped by those on high. ;)

And a smaller size kimono than they arranged for Princess Diana. :flowers:
The Japanese Imperial family arranged kimono for Diana, Princess of Wales...? As a rule, Japanese do not favour foreigners wearing kimonos during official receptions or trying to imitate the Japanese etiquette. Gaijiin can not proper wear kimonos anyway and tend to look clumsy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom