The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-08-2008, 05:23 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
Isn't it wonderful then that she will be saving US money by having her flight paid for by her husband.

We wont be saved any money - the same plane that flies them there will fly him home alone. yes we have been saved the extra cost of flying the Duchess home earlier but then thats only fair. We wont be SAVED anything.

I was suggesting earlier that i don't have much sympathy for the arguemnt that as Camilla personally chose to smoke that is an excuse for her not to carry out full royal tours.

If she can't do the time then she should have the crown!!! (or coronet or tiara)

Old 10-08-2008, 05:32 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandDuchess View Post
Why do people in the royal watching community always have to question each other's opinions?
I suppose it happens because of the age difference and experiences.
Quote:
Just because some of us don't think everything the royals do and their decisions are fantastic and that they look perfect all the time, we are always jumped at because we don't share the opinions of others. Please, let us all have our opinions. Some may find an excuse for Camilla's decision in this case, others may not. But let us have our opinions to ourselves, we don't need to begin to question each other all the time
But isn't that what a discussion is, questioning others views and trying to find out why they have that opinion? What they based their opinion on?
Quote:
---snipped----A boss in working life would not accept if a businessman or woman decided to fly home during a tour of the Middle East to negotiate business contracts just because he/she thought a country was too hot and humid, the same goes for the royals.
Camilla is not going to negotiate anything though. You might be surprised to know that some employees decline to visit ceetain countries, I know of one who declined a trip to Japan, they just gave the assignment to another employee. Nobody can be forced to engage in foreign trips that they don't want to go on.

Old 10-08-2008, 05:38 PM
Heir Presumptive

You are right, they can't be forced to go to anywhere they don't want, but they can be fired or passed over for promotions. That's how the corporate world plays the game.
Old 10-08-2008, 05:40 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy1716 View Post
We wont be saved any money - the same plane that flies them there will fly him home alone. yes we have been saved the extra cost of flying the Duchess home earlier but then thats only fair. We wont be SAVED anything.

I was suggesting earlier that i don't have much sympathy for the arguemnt that as Camilla personally chose to smoke that is an excuse for her not to carry out full royal tours.

If she can't do the time then she should have the crown!!! (or coronet or tiara)
It certainly costs less for one passenger rather than two, so the cost of the return will save us money!

When Camilla took up smoking, it was considered normal, it was only later that the damage smoking did was discovered and publicised. By then, as you will know, millions were hooked on this drug. She has done incredibly well to give up, but the damage may already have been done. This is a little like the Saudi trip when everyone was complaining that Camilla wasn't pulling her weight and then it was announced that she was to have a hysterectomy and that was why she was so tired.
She should indeed have the crown, on that we can agree.
Old 10-08-2008, 05:42 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTESS View Post
You are right, they can't be forced to go to anywhere they don't want, but they can be fired or passed over for promotions. That's how the corporate world plays the game.
No, they can't be fired, in the UK workers are protected from that. If they are already near the top enough to be sent abroad, they will hardly be passed over for promotion and if they are, they can go to an employment tribunal. Thats how the corporate world is controlled in the UK.
Old 10-08-2008, 05:45 PM
Heir Presumptive

No, there are two planes involved and they are charters. So, the plane that flies them out will still have to flyhim home and there won't be any difference in the cost. They charge for fuel and by the hour, not by the passenger on chartered flights. So, the cost remains the same to the taxpayer. On the other hand, you are right, if you are not British, you have no right to complain, because it is costing you nothing.
Old 10-08-2008, 05:51 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTESS View Post
No, there are two planes involved and they are charters. So, the plane that flies them out will still have to flyhim home and there won't be any difference in the cost. They charge for fuel and by the hour, not by the passenger on chartered flights. So, the cost remains the same to the taxpayer. On the other hand, you are right, if you are not British, you have no right to complain, because it is costing you nothing.
Do we know that Camilla's return flight is a charter or that it is charged by time and fuel? I haven't seen anything to confirm this. I know that when we charter, there is a premium paid for the number of passengers.
Old 10-08-2008, 05:51 PM
Courtier

Wow. Had no idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo of Palatine View Post
You obviously have never been on any kind of "offcial tour" - .
Had no idea that the Duchess posted here.
Old 10-08-2008, 05:57 PM
Imperial Majesty

I do find it strange that some posters object to having their posts and opinions questioned, whilst questioning other peoples posts and opinions. Can anyone tell me why it is OK to question something I have written, but it becomes 'wrong' if I state my opinion or disagree with them?
Old 10-08-2008, 06:00 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
Do we know that Camilla's return flight is a charter or that it is charged by time and fuel? I haven't seen anything to confirm this. I know that when we charter, there is a premium paid for the number of passengers.
She will be flying back with her staff on a scheduled flight according to the Daily Telegraph I think. + She and Charles will also be attending the Remembrance Service at the Albert Hall on Saturday 8th & the Sunday Rememebrance service at the Cenotaph followed on the 11th (Tuesday by attending another Rememebrance service in France. Before getting back to Buckingham Palace the following day for the 1st birthday party being given by the Queen. I can't see why Camilla shouldn't have a few days off before going through all those.
Old 10-08-2008, 06:02 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotAPretender View Post
You don't have to be a royal to go on a tour representing you country or industry. It seems very easy to judge something you have never done.

The same way someone will say they hate sushi, never having tried it! I tried it and hated it, so I can say I hate sushi, love smoked salmon though, (must be wild caught not farmed).
Old 10-08-2008, 08:05 PM
Heir Apparent

Slighty off topic, but I remember that the Queen was considered an "honourary man" during her Gulf Tour of the late 70s. So I'm sure that any Muslim country could make exceptions for certain females if they wanted to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little_star View Post
I'm not sure if you realise this but Indonesia isn't Iran, muslim countries aren't all like Iran or Saudi Arabia...
Old 10-08-2008, 08:43 PM
Heir Presumptive

The problem isn't whther she is doing this or not, it is what is expected of her by her subjects. Some will see this as shirking, others don't care. She is not that old, I am much older and log many miles each years, standing for hours to meeting and greeting people. It is tiring, more so, when you don't have a retinue to take care of all your bags, etc.

As for charters, which the prince will be flying to and from, so it is already paid for, the small charter, charge per passenger, when you charter a full size jet, there is an hourly cost and you can bring along as many as allowed. Her absence won't save a penny.

She needs time to regroup to fly to go to serveral Memorial Services, where she will arrive and leave and then to France, 1/2 flight to sit and then a birthday party. What is she going to do when she is older?
Old 10-08-2008, 10:52 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknch View Post
If Camilla is as lazy as a number of people seem to think, then surely she wouldn't go on the trip at all and would stay at home? To ask a 61 year old woman - royal or not - to do everything you want her to do is abit much isn't it?
61? I know she isn't part of a 'reigning team' yet, but seriously...when compared to the work ethics of other senior members of the royal family who are themselves older or near enough the same age, I see not that her age should be an acceptable pretext. That would certainly portray an image of a feeble woman unable to go the yards that are, and rightly so, expected of her. Certainly in an official capacity.

If it's health related then I could understand, but as there is nothing to suggest that is the case...

Menarue has made mention of bad PR, and she may well be on the money. The reasons given do not justify the decision, imo.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 10-09-2008, 02:03 AM
Royal Highness

When Camilla is doing a great job (day by day) only some people here mention this and have some good words for her,
but when she maybe shows a little weakness she gets such a harsh criticism from so many of you.
Is this fair?
Old 10-09-2008, 02:38 AM
Heir Apparent

Personally, I've never subjected Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall to any criticism that could be perceived as anything but encouraging or supportive. I don't follow all her engagements but when I do have a look at what she's been up to I've not had a bad word to say, besides perhaps a comment on an a particular item of clothing I've not much liked. Other than that I generally never find fault with the way she handles herself or the way in which she undertakes her duties. Quite the contrary!

And my criticisms in this instance, are anything but harsh.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 10-09-2008, 03:00 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale View Post

If it's health related then I could understand, but as there is nothing to suggest that is the case...
If a reference to the climate is not "health related", then I wonder what it is. In fact, have we seen her going on holiday to a region with a hot climate ever since her surgery? I know she was in Egypt, India, the Caribbean but that were official trips. Holidays, anyone? I only recall Scotland since which is rarely hot, though could be humid...
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 10-09-2008, 03:05 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotAPretender View Post
There are other kinds of official trips. I'm eg am a journalist travelling on representing the readers of the paper/magazine who will print my article. Thus my hosts are interested that I be pampered and meet the right people in order to get the right impression of their country. So these trips have some similarities to official trips, it's only without paparazzi. But it's not only journalists who do such travels, businesspeople or politicians do the same.
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 10-09-2008, 03:11 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandDuchess View Post
A boss in working life would not accept if a businessman or woman decided to fly home during a tour of the Middle East to negotiate business contracts just because he/she thought a country was too hot and humid, the same goes for the royals.
But a boss would be informed about the real background and then decide if it was right. We do not know the whole situation but some here assume that they do when even the queen and the government okayed Camilla's decision. Maybe they have a good reason for it? For I doubt they are simply more charitable than the esteemed members of this forum?
Old 10-09-2008, 03:26 AM
Heir Presumptive

I have never criticized Camilla before and I am not even criticizing her now, I questioned whether she is ill. If she is not it was very very bad PR.
If she is ill perhaps it is being covered up and someone was asked to make excuses and these came out very badly.
I also think it useless to compare her with the Queen who seems to have wonderful health, but I remember how HM carried on as soon as she could after her knee operation and the Queen mother had serious health problems that were never heard of until after her death.
Then again I have had people in my family who haved died of old age over 90 years old and others that have died of old age at under 80.
Right at the beginning of their marriage it was said (hearsay from newspapers) that there was a little friction in the family about Camilla´s reluctance to carry out royal engagements. As Prince Charles´s confidant she was completely in the background and enjoyed this. Now as the future Queen she is expected to carry out these engagements and perhaps she finds this tiring (or perhaps boring) and finds excuses.
Unfortunately for her the BRF is being scrutinized in a way it never has before and in times where everyone has to tighten his belt, expenditure or let us say what is considered excessive expenditure, is increasingly being frowned upon.
In this particular case the idea of Camilla returning earlier (only a few days earlier which is surprising too) it is not her simply getting on a plane! She has her own security, ladies, probably a hairdresser, secretary etc. Will they all get on the plane and return. Prince Charles is going to have to fork out quite an amount on what seems to most of us (his own money or not) an unnecessary expense.
There lies another difference from the normal corporate business trip which may be with a group of colleagues or alone in a scheduled flight or a small charter plane..... in Camilla´s case she and the people accompanying her will need either a small charter plane or most of first class.
This said, I don´t believe that an executive of any corporation asked to go on a business trip to a hot climate will tell his superiors or employers that he finds it too hot and tiring, stays home and WILL NOT get passed by for the next promotion.
This won´t happen to Camilla, of course, but if she is not ill she will just have to suffer criticism from the British tax payers.