The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 07:39 PM
Royal Highness

LOL!!

I cannot believe this thread has reached 4 parts. She is all the titles, legally and historically. She will be Queen consort automatically UNLESS some law is repealed or changed, etc.......that is....how it is.

I am not a fan of the woman by any means, but the laws and precedence stand above my own personal view.

Old 11-22-2008, 08:06 PM
Courtier

Thanks Lady Marmalade, for this precise statement regarding her title

Old 11-23-2008, 03:37 AM
Courtier

What happened to the title 'Princess Consort' The public didn't come up with that one, the royals did. When was the latest confirmation from CH that D of C would be known as the 'Princess Consort', are they going to deny it or break their promise.
Old 11-23-2008, 03:57 AM
Super Moderator

"Whoopsy, we didn't check the laws thoroughly enough."

It worked for moving the civil ceremony to the Guildhall, at least.
Old 11-23-2008, 04:18 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ada View Post
What happened to the title 'Princess Consort' The public didn't come up with that one, the royals did. When was the latest confirmation from CH that D of C would be known as the 'Princess Consort', are they going to deny it or break their promise.
'

There was no 'promise' at all. It was stated as an 'intention'. However, before the wedding took place the matter was raised in Parliament and it was confirmed there that she would legally be Queen on Charles' accession just as now she is legally The Princess of Wales.

Using the Duchess of Cornwall title is possible without any other action because Charles holds the title Duke of Cornwall (and has done so for longer than he has been Prince of Wales). He has been Duke of Cornwall as long, exactly, as the Queen has been Queen.

The problem with her using the Princess Consort title is that Charles won't have a commensurate title for her to be using and so legislation has to be passed to strip her of the title Queen and then Letters Patent have to be issued granting her the title Princess Consort.
Old 11-23-2008, 07:48 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
'

There was no 'promise' at all. It was stated as an 'intention'. However, before the wedding took place the matter was raised in Parliament and it was confirmed there that she would legally be Queen on Charles' accession just as now she is legally The Princess of Wales.

Using the Duchess of Cornwall title is possible without any other action because Charles holds the title Duke of Cornwall (and has done so for longer than he has been Prince of Wales). He has been Duke of Cornwall as long, exactly, as the Queen has been Queen.

The problem with her using the Princess Consort title is that Charles won't have a commensurate title for her to be using and so legislation has to be passed to strip her of the title Queen and then Letters Patent have to be issued granting her the title Princess Consort.
Wbenson, now the laws has been checked thoroughly.... even laws that has not come into existence

Thanks Iluvbertie for explaining the reasons why the title "Princess Consort" has not come into use.
Old 11-23-2008, 09:50 AM

^Remember that Prince Charles is a romantic with a lot of admiration for Queen V's Prince Consort. Yes, I think the wording of the Princess Consort idea was stated like "HRH intends to use the style of Princess Consort."

Wbenson, "whoopsy" is right, I think. Besides being a constitutional tap dance, it would also be so weird to have to refer to His Majesty The King and Her Royal Highness The Princess Consort. I just can't see it.
Old 11-23-2008, 10:01 AM
Heir Presumptive

If I remember rightly the beloved Prince Albert was quite put out when he found he was going to be known as the Prince Consort and not King..... from what I have read he was in fact quite "miffed"......Actually I believe that the royal family are not that attached to the memory of Prince Albert, Queen Victoria instructed that all male descendants be called Albert, quite a few were but only King George V was actually known by the family as Albert and when he became King he quite pointedly picked George as his official name. I doubt Prince Charles would find it such a wonderful idea to call Camilla the Princess Consort because of any attachment to the memory of Albert the Good.
Old 11-23-2008, 12:19 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
Why must everything be about Diana? Is it not possible that some people dont like/respect Charles and Camilla because of certain past behavior? I would list the well documented past behavior I am talking about, but a moderator indicated that it might cause TRF to be sued. I certainly wouldnt want that. So you will have to content your self with this: There was a transcript published all over the world...CNN, ITV, FOX, BBC.... And lets just say that there is an audio recording, so there is no doubt of those persons involved.
We all know the transcript, right. But I for one are not interested in the sexual preferences of other people when it comes to like them or respect them. The Prince of Wales has done so much good in his life, that warrants my respect, here I see his contribution to his people and his country. I'm not interested in his pillowtalk as this is his private life, it's no part of his place in the community of people.
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 11-23-2008, 03:03 PM

That audio tape was so embarrassing. I was so humiliated for him about that. I can't imagine, how that tape being heard by everyone would just make me cringe for him and Camilla. I would just die if it was me. I could never go on in public, I don't think so. I am so relieved I'm not royal.
Old 11-23-2008, 03:09 PM
Heir Presumptive

Me too, something like that being made public about me would make me at least try and find a Trappist order for women...... I don´t think I would ever be able to show my face in public again, but then he is Royal.....nothing, no stupid thing he says or does can change that. He is Royal and that is that. As CasiraghiTrio said , an ordinary human being would try and find the nearest hole and stay there.
That is the reason I think that anyone "strange" to the royal way of life would have an extremely hard time. I don´t count Camilla as she has been close to the royal family all her life and I am sure she can stand it, in fact she has proved she can.
Old 11-23-2008, 03:59 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menarue View Post
If I remember rightly the beloved Prince Albert was quite put out when he found he was going to be known as the Prince Consort and not King..... from what I have read he was in fact quite "miffed"......

I believe Victoria wanted him given the title King Consort before the marriage but Lord Melbourne advised her that only Parliament can create a King and so if they gave Albert the title King Consort then Parliament could just as easily take away the title. She acquiesced.

Some 17 years after the marriage, in 1857, his was finally created Prince Consort so only held that title for 4 and a bit years before his death.

Quote:
Actually I believe that the royal family are not that attached to the memory of Prince Albert, Queen Victoria instructed that all male descendants be called Albert, quite a few were but only King George V was actually known by the family as Albert and when he became King he quite pointedly picked George as his official name. I doubt Prince Charles would find it such a wonderful idea to call Camilla the Princess Consort because of any attachment to the memory of Albert the Good.

Small correction. It was George VI who was named Albert, because he was born on the 14th December, the anniversary of Albert's death.

Like his grandfather, also named Albert, he was called Bertie throughout his life. His uncle, also christened Albert (Victor) was always called Eddy.
Old 11-23-2008, 04:24 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
By the time that comes, we hope, some people will be asking "Who was Diana?".
Oh please!

IMO Camilla should be queen. I'm not a fan of hers, but I beleive in tradition and tradition should be upheld. I'm wondering how long Clarence House will keep saying that Camilla will be known as "Princess Consort."
Old 11-23-2008, 04:34 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Me too, something like that being made public about me would make me at least try and find a Trappist order for women...... I don´t think I would ever be able to show my face in public again, but then he is Royal.....nothing, no stupid thing he says or does can change that. He is Royal and that is that. As CasiraghiTrio said , an ordinary human being would try and find the nearest hole and stay there.
That is the reason I think that anyone "strange" to the royal way of life would have an extremely hard time. I don´t count Camilla as she has been close to the royal family all her life and I am sure she can stand it, in fact she has proved she can.
But Camilla hasn't known the royal family all her life. She first met Prince Charles in the Spring/Summer of 1972 and even then she was introduced by a non-royal Chilean friend of hers. You're mixing her up with Diana - who had known the royal family all her life (in fact she was brought up on the Sandringham Estate until she was 15/16). That's why Diana was preferred by the Queen and Royal Household over Camilla.
Old 11-23-2008, 04:54 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilla View Post
Wbenson, now the laws has been checked thoroughly.... even laws that has not come into existence
Oh, I know. I just don't think the general public has any idea about such things.
Old 11-23-2008, 04:59 PM
Courtier

You are probably right, wbenson.
Old 11-23-2008, 05:18 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaFay View Post
But Camilla hasn't known the royal family all her life. She first met Prince Charles in the Spring/Summer of 1972 and even then she was introduced by a non-royal Chilean friend of hers. You're mixing her up with Diana - who had known the royal family all her life (in fact she was brought up on the Sandringham Estate until she was 15/16). That's why Diana was preferred by the Queen and Royal Household over Camilla.
I probably mixed them up, but I was subconsciously thinking along the lines of whether she is actually one of them or not......it was always a question whether her grandmother was the daughter of K.Edward or not.....the family deny it, but........
Old 11-23-2008, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaFay View Post
I don't think Menarue was mixing them up. I think she meant that Camilla has known the royal family long enough to be used to it. She has known Charles longer than many have been alive so it comes to the same thing anyway. I think most people who are regulars here are quite aware of Diana's life. There have been enough articles and books about her. We don't need a recap, do we?
Old 11-24-2008, 11:02 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasiraghiTrio View Post
We don't need a recap, do we?
Oh Dear Lord, no! I don't think the weight of this already heavy thread could stand it!

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 11-24-2008, 02:03 PM
Commoner

I don't know if Camilla will ever become Queen, unless by some miracle public sentiment swings back her way. At the most, I think there'll be a situation similar to the one with the Queen and Prince Philip, where she might get to be called Your Majesty but without the title of Queen.

Tags
camilla, duchess of cornwall, princess consort, queen consort, styles and titles