The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #121  
Old 11-22-2008, 07:39 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Chicago, United States
Posts: 1,532
LOL!!

I cannot believe this thread has reached 4 parts. She is all the titles, legally and historically. She will be Queen consort automatically UNLESS some law is repealed or changed, etc.......that is....how it is.

I am not a fan of the woman by any means, but the laws and precedence stand above my own personal view.
__________________

__________________
Lady M
  #122  
Old 11-22-2008, 08:06 PM
Lilla's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Posts: 918
Thanks Lady Marmalade, for this precise statement regarding her title
__________________

__________________
  #123  
Old 11-23-2008, 03:37 AM
ada's Avatar
ada ada is offline
Courtier
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: pomona, Australia
Posts: 540
What happened to the title 'Princess Consort' The public didn't come up with that one, the royals did. When was the latest confirmation from CH that D of C would be known as the 'Princess Consort', are they going to deny it or break their promise.
__________________
  #124  
Old 11-23-2008, 03:57 AM
wbenson's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: -, United States
Posts: 2,236
"Whoopsy, we didn't check the laws thoroughly enough."

It worked for moving the civil ceremony to the Guildhall, at least.
__________________
  #125  
Old 11-23-2008, 04:18 AM
Iluvbertie's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Bathurst, Australia
Posts: 8,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by ada View Post
What happened to the title 'Princess Consort' The public didn't come up with that one, the royals did. When was the latest confirmation from CH that D of C would be known as the 'Princess Consort', are they going to deny it or break their promise.
'

There was no 'promise' at all. It was stated as an 'intention'. However, before the wedding took place the matter was raised in Parliament and it was confirmed there that she would legally be Queen on Charles' accession just as now she is legally The Princess of Wales.

Using the Duchess of Cornwall title is possible without any other action because Charles holds the title Duke of Cornwall (and has done so for longer than he has been Prince of Wales). He has been Duke of Cornwall as long, exactly, as the Queen has been Queen.

The problem with her using the Princess Consort title is that Charles won't have a commensurate title for her to be using and so legislation has to be passed to strip her of the title Queen and then Letters Patent have to be issued granting her the title Princess Consort.
__________________
  #126  
Old 11-23-2008, 07:48 AM
Lilla's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Posts: 918
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
'

There was no 'promise' at all. It was stated as an 'intention'. However, before the wedding took place the matter was raised in Parliament and it was confirmed there that she would legally be Queen on Charles' accession just as now she is legally The Princess of Wales.

Using the Duchess of Cornwall title is possible without any other action because Charles holds the title Duke of Cornwall (and has done so for longer than he has been Prince of Wales). He has been Duke of Cornwall as long, exactly, as the Queen has been Queen.

The problem with her using the Princess Consort title is that Charles won't have a commensurate title for her to be using and so legislation has to be passed to strip her of the title Queen and then Letters Patent have to be issued granting her the title Princess Consort.
Wbenson, now the laws has been checked thoroughly.... even laws that has not come into existence

Thanks Iluvbertie for explaining the reasons why the title "Princess Consort" has not come into use.
__________________
  #127  
Old 11-23-2008, 09:50 AM
CasiraghiTrio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Burbank, United States
Posts: 6,402
^Remember that Prince Charles is a romantic with a lot of admiration for Queen V's Prince Consort. Yes, I think the wording of the Princess Consort idea was stated like "HRH intends to use the style of Princess Consort."

Wbenson, "whoopsy" is right, I think. Besides being a constitutional tap dance, it would also be so weird to have to refer to His Majesty The King and Her Royal Highness The Princess Consort. I just can't see it.
__________________
Chewsteraghi on Tumblr. Schmichaelira on Twitter. Tumblr aka obsessivechewsteraghidisorder. Be warned: I'm weird.
  #128  
Old 11-23-2008, 10:01 AM
Menarue's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Cascais, Portugal
Posts: 2,155
If I remember rightly the beloved Prince Albert was quite put out when he found he was going to be known as the Prince Consort and not King..... from what I have read he was in fact quite "miffed"......Actually I believe that the royal family are not that attached to the memory of Prince Albert, Queen Victoria instructed that all male descendants be called Albert, quite a few were but only King George V was actually known by the family as Albert and when he became King he quite pointedly picked George as his official name. I doubt Prince Charles would find it such a wonderful idea to call Camilla the Princess Consort because of any attachment to the memory of Albert the Good.
__________________
  #129  
Old 11-23-2008, 12:19 PM
Jo of Palatine's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Munich, Germany
Posts: 3,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
Why must everything be about Diana? Is it not possible that some people dont like/respect Charles and Camilla because of certain past behavior? I would list the well documented past behavior I am talking about, but a moderator indicated that it might cause TRF to be sued. I certainly wouldnt want that. So you will have to content your self with this: There was a transcript published all over the world...CNN, ITV, FOX, BBC.... And lets just say that there is an audio recording, so there is no doubt of those persons involved.
We all know the transcript, right. But I for one are not interested in the sexual preferences of other people when it comes to like them or respect them. The Prince of Wales has done so much good in his life, that warrants my respect, here I see his contribution to his people and his country. I'm not interested in his pillowtalk as this is his private life, it's no part of his place in the community of people.
__________________
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
  #130  
Old 11-23-2008, 03:03 PM
CasiraghiTrio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Burbank, United States
Posts: 6,402
That audio tape was so embarrassing. I was so humiliated for him about that. I can't imagine, how that tape being heard by everyone would just make me cringe for him and Camilla. I would just die if it was me. I could never go on in public, I don't think so. I am so relieved I'm not royal.
__________________
Chewsteraghi on Tumblr. Schmichaelira on Twitter. Tumblr aka obsessivechewsteraghidisorder. Be warned: I'm weird.
  #131  
Old 11-23-2008, 03:09 PM
Menarue's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Cascais, Portugal
Posts: 2,155
Me too, something like that being made public about me would make me at least try and find a Trappist order for women...... I don´t think I would ever be able to show my face in public again, but then he is Royal.....nothing, no stupid thing he says or does can change that. He is Royal and that is that. As CasiraghiTrio said , an ordinary human being would try and find the nearest hole and stay there.
That is the reason I think that anyone "strange" to the royal way of life would have an extremely hard time. I don´t count Camilla as she has been close to the royal family all her life and I am sure she can stand it, in fact she has proved she can.
__________________
  #132  
Old 11-23-2008, 03:59 PM
Iluvbertie's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Bathurst, Australia
Posts: 8,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menarue View Post
If I remember rightly the beloved Prince Albert was quite put out when he found he was going to be known as the Prince Consort and not King..... from what I have read he was in fact quite "miffed"......

I believe Victoria wanted him given the title King Consort before the marriage but Lord Melbourne advised her that only Parliament can create a King and so if they gave Albert the title King Consort then Parliament could just as easily take away the title. She acquiesced.

Some 17 years after the marriage, in 1857, his was finally created Prince Consort so only held that title for 4 and a bit years before his death.

Quote:
Actually I believe that the royal family are not that attached to the memory of Prince Albert, Queen Victoria instructed that all male descendants be called Albert, quite a few were but only King George V was actually known by the family as Albert and when he became King he quite pointedly picked George as his official name. I doubt Prince Charles would find it such a wonderful idea to call Camilla the Princess Consort because of any attachment to the memory of Albert the Good.

Small correction. It was George VI who was named Albert, because he was born on the 14th December, the anniversary of Albert's death.

Like his grandfather, also named Albert, he was called Bertie throughout his life. His uncle, also christened Albert (Victor) was always called Eddy.
__________________
  #133  
Old 11-23-2008, 04:24 PM
sirhon11234's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 2,464
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menarue View Post
By the time that comes, we hope, some people will be asking "Who was Diana?".
Oh please!


IMO Camilla should be queen. I'm not a fan of hers, but I beleive in tradition and tradition should be upheld. I'm wondering how long Clarence House will keep saying that Camilla will be known as "Princess Consort."
__________________
"I think the biggest disease the world suffers from in this day and age is the disease of people feeling unloved."
Diana, the Princess of Wales
  #134  
Old 11-23-2008, 04:34 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Merseyside, United Kingdom
Posts: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menarue View Post
Me too, something like that being made public about me would make me at least try and find a Trappist order for women...... I don´t think I would ever be able to show my face in public again, but then he is Royal.....nothing, no stupid thing he says or does can change that. He is Royal and that is that. As CasiraghiTrio said , an ordinary human being would try and find the nearest hole and stay there.
That is the reason I think that anyone "strange" to the royal way of life would have an extremely hard time. I don´t count Camilla as she has been close to the royal family all her life and I am sure she can stand it, in fact she has proved she can.
But Camilla hasn't known the royal family all her life. She first met Prince Charles in the Spring/Summer of 1972 and even then she was introduced by a non-royal Chilean friend of hers. You're mixing her up with Diana - who had known the royal family all her life (in fact she was brought up on the Sandringham Estate until she was 15/16). That's why Diana was preferred by the Queen and Royal Household over Camilla.
__________________
  #135  
Old 11-23-2008, 04:54 PM
wbenson's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: -, United States
Posts: 2,236
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilla View Post
Wbenson, now the laws has been checked thoroughly.... even laws that has not come into existence
Oh, I know. I just don't think the general public has any idea about such things.
__________________
  #136  
Old 11-23-2008, 04:59 PM
Lilla's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Posts: 918
You are probably right, wbenson.
__________________
  #137  
Old 11-23-2008, 05:18 PM
Menarue's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Cascais, Portugal
Posts: 2,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaFay View Post
But Camilla hasn't known the royal family all her life. She first met Prince Charles in the Spring/Summer of 1972 and even then she was introduced by a non-royal Chilean friend of hers. You're mixing her up with Diana - who had known the royal family all her life (in fact she was brought up on the Sandringham Estate until she was 15/16). That's why Diana was preferred by the Queen and Royal Household over Camilla.
I probably mixed them up, but I was subconsciously thinking along the lines of whether she is actually one of them or not......it was always a question whether her grandmother was the daughter of K.Edward or not.....the family deny it, but........
__________________
  #138  
Old 11-23-2008, 11:52 PM
CasiraghiTrio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Burbank, United States
Posts: 6,402
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaFay View Post
But Camilla hasn't known the royal family all her life. She first met Prince Charles in the Spring/Summer of 1972 and even then she was introduced by a non-royal Chilean friend of hers. You're mixing her up with Diana - who had known the royal family all her life (in fact she was brought up on the Sandringham Estate until she was 15/16). That's why Diana was preferred by the Queen and Royal Household over Camilla.
I don't think Menarue was mixing them up. I think she meant that Camilla has known the royal family long enough to be used to it. She has known Charles longer than many have been alive so it comes to the same thing anyway. I think most people who are regulars here are quite aware of Diana's life. There have been enough articles and books about her. We don't need a recap, do we?
__________________
Chewsteraghi on Tumblr. Schmichaelira on Twitter. Tumblr aka obsessivechewsteraghidisorder. Be warned: I'm weird.
  #139  
Old 11-24-2008, 11:02 AM
jcbcode99's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Richmond Area, United States
Posts: 1,980
Quote:
Originally Posted by CasiraghiTrio View Post
We don't need a recap, do we?
Oh Dear Lord, no! I don't think the weight of this already heavy thread could stand it!
__________________
Janet

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
  #140  
Old 11-24-2008, 02:03 PM
StephS's Avatar
Commoner
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Arvada, United States
Posts: 18
I don't know if Camilla will ever become Queen, unless by some miracle public sentiment swings back her way. At the most, I think there'll be a situation similar to the one with the Queen and Prince Philip, where she might get to be called Your Majesty but without the title of Queen.
__________________

__________________
Closed Thread

Tags
camilla, duchess of cornwall, princess consort, queen consort, styles and titles


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Title for Camilla - Part 3 Elspeth The Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall 511 07-27-2008 09:45 PM
Title for Camilla - Part 2 wymanda The Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall 505 01-30-2008 01:07 PM
Title For Camilla TODOI The Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall 153 06-02-2004 03:12 AM




Additional Links
Popular Tags
abdication birth charlene chris o'neill crown prince felipe crown prince haakon crown princess letizia crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit crown princess victoria duchess of cambridge fashion grand duchess maria teresa grand duke henri habsburg hohenzollern infanta leonor infanta sofia jewellery jordan king abdullah ii king carl xvi gustav king constantine ii king felipe king felipe vi king harald king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander luxembourg nobility olympic games olympics ottoman picture of the month poland pom president hollande prince albert prince albert ii prince carl philip prince felipe prince felix prince floris prince pieter-christiaan princess anita princess beatrix princess charlene princess claire princess letizia princess mabel princess madeleine princess margriet princess mary princess of asturias queen letizia queen mathilde queen maxima queen rania queen silvia queen sofia royal royal fashion russia sofia hellqvist spain state visit sweden visit wedding



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:34 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises

Royal News Delivered to your Email!

You can get the latest Royal News right in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]