The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 07:43 PM
Heir Apparent

If memory serves me right, the awkward situation with Duchess of Cornwall's possible future title has been created by the Clarence House. So let the Clarence House and Prince Charles reap consequences.

To wander on in a huge forest without thought of return. To stand upon the shore and gaze after a boat that disappears behind distant islands. To contemplate the flight of wild geese seen and lost among the clouds.
And, subtle shadows of bamboo on bamboo." Zeami Motokiyo
Old 12-02-2008, 08:52 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina View Post
If memory serves me right, the awkward situation with Duchess of Cornwall's possible future title has been created by the Clarence House. So let the Clarence House and Prince Charles reap consequences.
That's pretty much it, Al bina.

No one asked for it. It was willingly proposed and has to date, publically, remained their intention. So the longer it's supported by Clarence House, the more the expectation grows, that the transition of Camilla's accession title shall either ensue, or be asserted when HM passing is thought to be imminent.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 12-02-2008, 09:06 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Prince Charles and Clarence House in my opionion will want the Duchess of Cornwall to have the title "Queen." I think the only thing that will stop it from happening is if the English people complain very strongly before the corination. I think then the Duchess might back down.

(Just look at how Prince Charles wanted the Duchess to sit with him at Diana, Princess of Wales' memorial service. The Duchess backed down and did not attend the service.)
Old 12-02-2008, 09:09 PM
Heir Apparent

I think that Camilla has a better grasp of what "the public" is thinking than Charles has. Perhaps it has something to do with being a commoner before her marriage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiea View Post
Prince Chalres and Clarence House in my opionion will want the Duchess of Cornwall to have the title "Queen." I think the only thing that will stop it from happening is if the English people complain very strongly before the corination. I think then the Duchess might back down.

(Just look at how Prince Charles wanted the Duchess to sit with him at Diana, Princess of Wales' memorial service. The Duchess backed down and did not attend the service.)
Old 12-02-2008, 09:12 PM
Heir Apparent

Well ... If I understand you correctly, creating an uncertain situation with a possible title has been meant to placate the common people. Now people will have a legitimate reason to complain because they were intentionally misled about the situation. The Diana, Princess of Wales' memorial service situation is likely to always accompany Prince Charles and Duchess of Cornwall. I am not an ardent fan of Prince Charles and his second wife, but there are rules/laws that can not be bent without hard consequences. If a wife of a King is Queen, it means that any wife of King Charles must be Queen. I am not sure why the Clarence House and other parties involved failed to properly communicate this simple law to the British people.
To wander on in a huge forest without thought of return. To stand upon the shore and gaze after a boat that disappears behind distant islands. To contemplate the flight of wild geese seen and lost among the clouds.
Old 12-02-2008, 09:13 PM
Heir Apparent

If in fact it is Clarence houses desire to have Camilla known as Queen, then they should have left the whole subject alone until the time came for it to be addressed. By preemptively taking action and saddling her with the Princess Consort title before she would even use it, they have set expectations, and should they go back on that now, they will only look like a bunch of wishy washy people who bend to public opinion sometimes, and at other times are selfish for their own desires, and other times that they don't care about public opinion.

They have created a no win situation for themselves with this mess, and I do not feel the least bit sorry for Charles or Clarence house. They should have done what the Queen does, and not comment on situations that are either beyond her control, haven't come to pass, are none of anyones business, or otherwise do not yet need to be addressed.
Old 12-02-2008, 09:18 PM
Heir Apparent

Right you are, Empress.
Old 12-02-2008, 09:20 PM
Heir Apparent

Yes, this is the opinion of many people, that Camilla took the title of Duchess of Cornwall because she didn't want to be seen to be trying to replace Diana Princess of Wales.

On the other hand, I'm of the view that perhaps Camilla wanted to be called the Duchess of Cornwall and then the Princess Consort regardless of her legal right to the higher titles of The Princess of Wales and, eventually, Queen.

Quote:
Well ... If I understand you correctly, creating an uncertain situation with a possible title has been meant to placate the common people. Now people may have a legitimate reason to complain because they were intentionally misled about the situation.
Old 12-03-2008, 12:29 PM
Imperial Majesty

I've cleared out the latest episode of fighting over the Charles-Camilla-Diana eternal triangle, as well as the outbreak of moralising on both sides of the argument.

In the attempts of the Charles-Camilla and Diana partisans to use religion to score points in their endless battle, people appeared not to notice (or to care, although I prefer to think that the former was the case) that their choice of weapon was both hurtful and offensive to some other thread participants. There's a reason why we don't allow religious topics here except where unavoidable to discuss some of the royal topics, and that reason was well illustrated by some of the events in this thread over the last 24 hours.

The moderators were already discussing closing the thread for a while since there are no actual developments on the subject of Camilla's title after Charles's accession and the thread is just spinning its wheels. After this latest outbreak of hostilities, we've decided to go ahead with the plan, so this thread will remain closed until further notice.

Don't even think about importing the CCD eternal triangle into the Current Events threads or anywhere else where it's off-topic.

Elspeth
for the British Royals moderation team

Tags
camilla, duchess of cornwall, princess consort, queen consort, styles and titles