The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 07:33 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menarue View Post
A beautiful young woman who nearly caused the fall of the RF, in fact very much as Wallis did.
I'm sorry but that is such an exaggeration imo...

Old 12-01-2008, 09:13 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
Well, they're different in that they can't be inherited by brothers and cousins like regular dukedoms. If Andrew dies before Edward, Edward doesn't inherit the York title.
Correct. And technically a dukedom (or any other Peerage) granted to a son or grandson of The Sovereign remains "of the blood royal" forever, even without the style of HRH, because it re-merges with the Crown once there are no more direct heirs of the first holder and is never created outside the royal family.

Old 12-01-2008, 09:51 PM
Heir Apparent

Fairly speaking, I do not see much difference between late Duchess of Windsor and Duchess of Cornwall: divorcees with a past. The background is somewhat different, but both situations do not positively contribute to the image of the British monarchy.
Old 12-01-2008, 10:35 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
Well, they're different in that they can't be inherited by brothers and cousins like regular dukedoms. If Andrew dies before Edward, Edward doesn't inherit the York title.

I am under the impression, based on what I really don't know, that if a Duke (or any other title) is created it is always using the 'heirs male of the body' and so a brother or cousin couldn't inherit from the first creation either.

e.g. my older brother gets Duke of Greatness and he dies with only daughters then his brother doesn't inherit the title but if he has three sons then each of their lines are eligible based on their order of birth so that after he dies and the eldest son dies the second son can inherit the title as he is an 'heir male of the body' but the younger brother of the first Duke of Greatness can't inherit it as he isn't an 'heir male of the body'.

If we go back to the Gloucester title - when the elder brother of the present Duke died his younger brother was able to inherit it but if both the brothers had died it couldn't go to the Duke of Kent's line as that line wasn't descended from the first Duke of Gloucester of this creation.

Please correct me if I am wrong but that is how it has always seemed to me and I don't know where I learnt it that way.
Old 12-01-2008, 11:22 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
I am under the impression, based on what I really don't know, that if a Duke (or any other title) is created it is always using the 'heirs male of the body' and so a brother or cousin couldn't inherit from the first creation either.
I'm pretty sure that's the case for all dukedoms created in the past couple of centuries. I think some old ones might pass to heirs male general, though (which includes descendants of ancestors).

The Crown Office (Forms and Proclamations Rules) Order 1992

Quote:
And for Us Our heirs and successors do appoint give and grant unto him the said name state degree style dignity title and honour of Duke of and by these Presents do dignify invest and ennoble him by girding him with a sword and putting a cap of honour and a coronet of gold on his head and by giving into his hand a rod of gold [or, if the grant is to a woman, “dignify invest and really ennoble her with such name state degree title and honour of Duchess of ”] to have and to hold the said name state degree style dignity title and honour of Duke of unto him and the heirs male of his body lawfully begotten and to be begotten
Old 12-02-2008, 12:47 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
If we go back to the Gloucester title - when the elder brother of the present Duke died his younger brother was able to inherit it but if both the brothers had died it couldn't go to the Duke of Kent's line as that line wasn't descended from the first Duke of Gloucester of this creation.
Prince Richard inherited his dukedom from his father, The Prince Henry, who died after his eldest son. If both brothers had been deceased, the title would have been extinct and returned to the Crown.

The creation of Peerages in the male heirs of body means they can only be inherited by your son or male-line grandson. If neither survives you, the peerage becomes extinct.
Old 12-02-2008, 03:23 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by branchg View Post
Prince Richard inherited his dukedom from his father, The Prince Henry, who died after his eldest son. If both brothers had been deceased, the title would have been extinct and returned to the Crown.

The creation of Peerages in the male heirs of body means they can only be inherited by your son or male-line grandson. If neither survives you, the peerage becomes extinct.

That is exactly what I said - that the title wouldn't have passed to the Kents had both sons died rather than just the eldest.
Old 12-02-2008, 12:52 PM
Gentry

In my ideal world, Charles would be by-passed in the succession and Queen Elizabeth would be succeeded by a "young" (relatively) King William V.

Charles would get some title such as Duke of Edinburgh, or Essex, or something prestigious like that, and Camilla enjoy the female equivalent. Preferably they would remain as Duke and Duchess of Cornwall, as there is no sense changing duchies for another, but I don't know if this is legally possible or if the title automatically passes to the King's firstborn male child (ie, Charles and Camilla would automatically lose it once William ahd a son).

However, if Charles does become King, then I can see no good reason why Camilla shouldn't become Queen consort, except for the fact that people would rather have seen Diana be Queen Consort. Which is understandable and a fairly good reason of itself, considering how the monarchy is not what it once was and the BRF will have to appease public opinion on such matters if they do not want to get the boot in the next few generations. So then the suggested title, "Princess Consort", which sounds ok since Prince Philip and Prince Albert were both Princes Consort (a precedent), and it is still a unique, lofty sounding title worthy of the royal consort.

I would also like (regardless of which title she gets - Queen/Princess Consort) for her to be elevated to the peerage in her own right. Historically, commoner wives and/or their immediate families were elevated to the peerage shortly before or upon marriage. Elizabeth Woodville's father was made Earl Rivers and her son was made Marquis of Dorset; Anne Boleyn was made Marchioness of Pembroke suo jure and her father was made Earl of Wiltshire; etc etc. So Camilla should be made a Duchess/Marchioness/Countess, so that her son and descendants will in time be a Duke/Marquis/Earl, which is only fair given their close kinship (even if not by blood) to the royal house.
Old 12-02-2008, 12:59 PM
Heir Apparent

Frankly, I see no reason for Camilla's children from a previous marriage to reap the benefits of her current marriage. As far as I am aware there is no precedent for that. I see no reason why she should not have some title in her own right, although I doubt very much that she cares about this (or else, I think that she should not have married him in the first place).

No, I don't see any good reason for them to be given a title, and what's more, a special remainder would have to be created so that her titles could pass on to her children, as most titles pass through the male line, rather than the female line, unless a special remainder has been created.

At this time, when the royal family is apparently attempting to downsize a bit, I don't think that it would be prudent economically or PR wise, to grant titles to the children of Camilla, who are not noble or aristocratic in the first place.
Old 12-02-2008, 01:33 PM
Gentry

Well, any hereditary title granted to Camilla would automatically be inherited by her son, even if succession is only permissible in the male line and her daughter cannot inherit.

Camilla is the granddaughter of the Baron Ashcombe and descends from the Earls of Albermarle (she is a cousin of the present Earl, Rufus Keppel). There is also some evidence to suggest that she is a great-granddaughter through an illegitimate line of Edward VII and thus her husband's 2nd cousin.

Since her children are the step-children of the Prince of Wales and future King of England, I do consider them aristocrats/noble, even if not by blood, but by connection to the throne.

When Edward IV married Elizabeth Woodville, her sons from her first marriage were received at court and treated not only as nobility, but also elevated. Her eldest son Thomas Grey was knighted, made Earl of Huntingdon and then Marquis of Dorset; and her younger son Richard was knighted, and given a whole string of honours before his abrupt early death. Her father, a mere 'esquire', was made 1st Earl Rivers and Lord Treasurer.

Later Kings, notably Henry VIII, also granted plenty of lands and titles to their wives relatives, in recognition of their new found status and proximity to the Crown.

Just seems strange to me that the children of the de jure Princess of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall, future Queen/Princess Consort of England, should be treated as mere commoners. A viscounty would suffice
Old 12-02-2008, 01:40 PM
Heir Apparent

No, the only way that a title can be inherited from a female is if a special remainder is created saying that this is the way that it will happen. And then that remainder would have to be recreated for each instance. So if Camilla has a title, the only way that her son would inherit it is if it was created with that remainder in place or made after it's creation.

With Elizabeth Woodville, it is an entirely different situation in a different time. Her first husband was dead, and her family had helped Edward secure his throne after defecting from the other Kings camp. These days are not the same as they were then, and peerages can not and should not be bought or given just based on relation to a member of the royal family. In the middle ages, to which you speak, it was common for the king to grant lands and honors to his retainers in place of paying them a salary for the jobs that they did for him. Counselors, lawyers, courtiers, etc were not given a salary, they were sometimes given an allowance, but most often their "payment for services rendered" were given in lands and titles from which they could earn their living.
Old 12-02-2008, 01:44 PM
Heir Apparent

Why exactly should children of Duchess of Cornwall from the first marriage have any titles through the second marriage of their mother? The last I have heard, the children in question want nothing, but remain private citizens. Tom and Laura are a part of the Parker Bowels family. If their father has got any titles to pass, Mr. Tom Parker Bowels can have them. I tend to share Empress' opinion on this matter.
Old 12-02-2008, 02:24 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina View Post
Why exactly should children of duchess of Cornwall from the first marriage have any titles through the second marriage of their mother? The last I heard, the children in question wanted nothing, but remain private citizens. Tom and Laura are a part of the Parker Bowels family. If their father has got any titles to pass, Mr. Tom Parker Bowels can have them. I tend to share Empress' opinion on this matter.
What title could they possibly get, they are Parker-Bowles children and have his title which the last time I heard was Mr. and now his daughter is Mrs. Lopes. Perhaps Laura´s husband is going to get a title by inheritance one day that is different. They are the step children of the Prince of Wales, that is all, not royal by any means.
Old 12-02-2008, 02:29 PM
Heir Apparent

All true. I can't see titles being created for them. For one thing, it's not necessary or desirable from a PR standpoint; and for another, they haven't done anything extraordinary enough for the nation to merit a peerage in their own right.

Quote:
What title could they possibly get, they are Parker-Bowles children and have his title which the last time I heard was Mr. and now his daughter is Mrs. Lopes. Perhaps Laura´s husband is going to get a title by inheritance one day that is different. They are the step children of the Prince of Wales, that is all, not royal by any means.
Old 12-02-2008, 02:33 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I have commented on the posts # 234 and 236 by Velasco.
Old 12-02-2008, 02:47 PM
Heir Presumptive

I was agreeing with you Al B and with Mermaid.
Old 12-02-2008, 04:21 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empress View Post
At this time, when the royal family is apparently attempting to downsize a bit, I don't think that it would be prudent economically or PR wise, to grant titles to the children of Camilla, who are not noble or aristocratic in the first place.
But they are: Andrew Parker Bowles is one of the Parkers of Macclesfield.
From wiki: Brigadier Andrew Parker Bowles, first husband of the Duchess of Cornwall, is the son of Derek Henry Parker-Bowles (who assumed his mother's maiden surname of Bowles), grandson of Reverend the Hon. Algernon Robert Parker, third son of the sixth Earl.

Andrew's mother was Dame Ann Parker Bowles née de Trafford, daughter of Sir Humphrew de Trafford.

Laura Lopes' husband is going to be Baron Roborough, so in time she will be
Lady Roborough.

From Wiki: She married Harry Marcus George Lopes, born October 7, 1977, son of the Hon. George Edward Lopes and wife the Hon. Sarah Violet Astor and a grandson of the 2nd Baron Roborough and the 2nd Baron Astor of Hever, Yes, one of those "Astor"s.

Talk about not being noble. I think we all know Camilla's noble ancestors.
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 12-02-2008, 05:10 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empress View Post
Frankly, I see no reason for Camilla's children from a previous marriage to reap the benefits of her current marriage. As far as I am aware there is no precedent for that. I see no reason why she should not have some title in her own right, although I doubt very much that she cares about this (or else, I think that she should not have married him in the first place).

No, I don't see any good reason for them to be given a title, and what's more, a special remainder would have to be created so that her titles could pass on to her children, as most titles pass through the male line, rather than the female line, unless a special remainder has been created.

Here, here Empress. For the record I don't think her children even want a title let alone merit one.
Old 12-02-2008, 06:34 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velasco View Post
Charles would get some title such as Duke of Edinburgh, or Essex, or something prestigious like that, and Camilla enjoy the female equivalent. Preferably they would remain as Duke and Duchess of Cornwall, as there is no sense changing duchies for another, but I don't know if this is legally possible or if the title automatically passes to the King's firstborn male child (ie, Charles and Camilla would automatically lose it once William ahd a son).
1. It can't bypass Charles, there is no election held. 2. The Duchy of Cornwall can only be held by the monarchs 1st born son
Quote:
except for the fact that people would rather have seen Diana be Queen Consort.
Not everyone would have been happy for Diana to become Queen Consort, even before her affairs became public knowledge or after the Morton book.
Old 12-02-2008, 06:42 PM
Serene Highness

In the end it doesn't matter who was sleeping with whom. Going strictly by law, Camilla will be Queen until Parliament changes that.

Whatever the 'intentions' of Charles and Camilla may be, they don't change the current law nor do I see any evidence that they are working to do so.

Tags
camilla, duchess of cornwall, princess consort, queen consort, styles and titles