Title for Camilla

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, I think the outcry would be even worse, had Diana lived. The thing is, people have fallen into this trap of worshiping Saint Diana, completely ignoring the fact that she too was screwing around; all three people involved in that whole mess were equally to blame. Unfortunately, many people view it as a Camilla vs. Diana issue--what about Charles? Why is there no vitriol for him?

Had Diana not been tragically killed, Charles and Camilla would still (I think) have gotten married, but the yammering of the hagiographers would be even louder in favour of the ridiculous 'princess consort' crap. "She was the rightful Queen!" they would yell. Except, y'know, she wasn't.

Camilla should and will be Queen. That's how it works. Any suggestion to the contrary is either pandering to the Saint Diana brigade, or is coming from a member of same.

First of all, I am offended by the term "[blanking] around." That language is uncalled for.

I for one have never worshipped "Saint Diana." I respected a woman who happened to have internal conflicts because of events that took place in her childhood. Who doesn't at some level? She faced up to some of these demons privately and even tried to use her struggles to inspire others. She was thrust onto the world stage at the age of 19 and took on more than any of us can begin to imagine, both publicly and privately. Her impact was/is undeniable.

As for the question of whether Charles and Camilla would have married if Diana was alive, well, I suspect that's a whole other thread. But since you raised the subject, IMHO, it would have been extremely difficult given what would have been the presence of an active and popular former wife.

First of all, I am offended by the term "[blanking] around." That language is uncalled for.

Oh please. That is precisely what all three of them were doing. To use any other language to describe it would be to grant an air of legitimacy to the adultery that all three were engaging in.

She was thrust onto the world stage at the age of 19 and took on more than any of us can begin to imagine, both publicly and privately.

Hardly. She chose to be put on that stage.

But none of that matters. What we're discussing is Camilla's title. Which should and will be Queen, Diana worshippers notwithstanding.

Which should and will be Queen, Diana worshippers notwithstanding.

Indeed. This whole "Princess Consort" nonsense seems to me like something concocted in the back rooms of Clarence House without doing any research or consultation with people who knew what they were doing at the Palace.

Oh please. That is precisely what all three of them were doing. To use any other language to describe it would be to grant an air of legitimacy to the adultery that all three were engaging in.
Yes, all three did, but only one of the three couldn't decide what "love means". And from there came other things...

Hardly. She chose to be put on that stage.
Yes, just as any woman who loves a man and accepts the package that comes as part of the marriage.

But none of that matters. What we're discussing is Camilla's title.
I thought we were too.

Mind you, I can't see Camilla being stuck with "Great Stewardess..." so maybe this set of titles doesn't carry across to the wife.

She doesn't. Her Scottish titles are only styles as the wife of The Duke of Rothesay. Camilla is "HRH The Princess Charles, Duchess of Rothesay, Countess of Carrick, Baroness Renfrew and Princess of Scotland"

It's a bit too convenient, to me, to lay all of the responsibility of Camilla's reputation and past history on 'Diana Hagiographers'. On some level even the most ardent Camilla worshipers will need to accept the fact that Camilla is responsible for her own decisions, own actions, her own reputation. In the final analysis, regardless who the first Princess of Wales was, Camilla and Charles chose to have a long standing adulterous (to both the first Princess and to Mr. Parker-Bowles) relationship. Some people dislike/disrespect them for this. Not everything on this planet is about Diana. And Monika, I ust agree with you about the 'whatever love means' remark. Does anyone, in the light of hindsight, doubt that Charles knew exactly what 'love means'. He just meant, but with Camilla not with you.

Last edited:
I always thought that Charles was trying to be romantic in his way when he said that (sort of like "I don't think we can know what true love is, but I think I found it," whether he meant it or not). Not until the marriage started to go sour did people start looking at it in that light.

I always thought that Charles was trying to be romantic in his way when he said that (sort of like "I don't think we can know what true love is, but I think I found it," whether he meant it or not). Not until the marriage started to go sour did people start looking at it in that light.

Oh, I respectfully disagree. It only required a yes or no response. Diana was quite clear with her emphasis on 'of course,' as if to say that any other scenario was unthinkable. But for Charles it hit a nerve. He didn't expect the question and he couldn't think of a good answer.

It's a bit too convenient, to me, to lay all of the responsibility of Camilla's reputation and past history on 'Diana Hagiographers'.

I lay precisely none of that responsibility there. However, the absurdity of this whole 'princess consort' affair is entirely and solely the result of pandering to the Diana worshippers. Unless someone can cite reputable sources which show that this has been done in the past? No? For crying out loud, even Henry VIII's multitude of wives were all called Queen. And there is simply no question that he was, shall we say, spreading his favours far and wide before, during, and after marriage.

In fact, it is much more common for Royals to hop from bed to bed than most people are comfortable accepting. The idea of lifelong monogamy is relatively new in those circles. Indeed, the whole concept of Royal (and, to a somewhat lesser extent) noble marriages is that they represent the transaction of property, titles, and duty. Once the heir (and a spare) was begat, most historic royal/noble couples would then proceed to have their own liaisons on the side. Look at how many Dukedoms were provided to illegitimate--even adulterous--children, for example.

On some level even the most ardent Camilla worshipers will need to accept the fact that Camilla is responsible for her own decisions, own actions, her own reputation.

I'm neither a Camilla nor a Diana worshipper. I'm just sick of watching the Diana zealots continue to punish Camilla for something that, to be brutally frank, is much more Charles' responsibility than that of the two women involved. It takes two to tango, but it takes someone--in this case, the Heir to the Throne, who was deliberately abrogating his wedding vows--to get things started.

'Princess consort' is a nonsense. It is a title which means nothing. Not only that, but it absolutely contravenes centuries of Royal practice, tradition, and law. Women take dignities from their husbands. Period. When a woman marries a man, she takes his title until divorce (and subsequent remarriage) or widowhood (in which case she would generally become the Dowager Title of Wherever). That's it. That's how it works. 'Princess consort' is a ridiculous made-up bit of foolishness meant as a sop to those who are unable to accept that not only did Diana behave as poorly as Charles, but that they were divorced and she subsequently died in a tragic accident. Frankly--and I know I'm ranging a bit far afield here--this cult of Diana serves to cheapen her memory and legacy, not to celebrate it; portraying her as the poor little victim of Charles and Camilla is to completely remove any agency she had over her own life. Or, to put it another way:

On some level even the most ardent Diana worshipers will need to accept the fact that Diana was responsible for her own decisions, own actions, her own reputation.

All of this handwaving about 'princess consort' is just that. As I have already pointed out, there is no precedent whatsoever for the title. As I have also pointed out, changing Camilla's title upon Charles' accession will require Acts of Parliament from all sixteen Commonwealth Realms. Every single one! Westminster may not act unilaterally in this case. And do you really think that the Palace would like to give Australia (which currently has the strongest republican movement within the Commonwealth) the perfect opening to abolish the monarchy? Charles' Accession alone will be more than enough; a tempest in a teapot over his wife's title will practically guarantee a republican victory in Australia. For goodness' sake, the republican talking points practically write themselves: "Is this all the monarchy is good for? They force us to pass an Act of Parliament so that Charles can call his bit on the side a Princess! Vote for an Australian Republic and be done with this Royal ridiculousness!"

Seriously. This is so silly.

Yes, all three did, but only one of the three couldn't decide what "love means". And from there came other things...

And what, pray tell, does Charles' statement 'whatever love means' have anything to do with what title Camilla gets? :confused:

As I have also pointed out, changing Camilla's title upon Charles' accession will require Acts of Parliament from all sixteen Commonwealth Realms.

I don't think they've ever said they intend to change the title. From everything I can tell, they just want to brute force it and tell people to call her PC regardless of her actual title.

And what, pray tell, does Charles' statement 'whatever love means' have anything to do with what title Camilla gets? :confused:

Probably more than the Earl of Essex does. But actually what title she gets is entirely up to the monarch alone and doesn't have anything to do with anyone else.

Well, I don’t dispute Henry VIII’s legacy, but I thought we evolved a bit since then. And if royal marriages are still just a series of transactions, etc. (and I tend to disagree), then it’s “okay” as long as both parties understand that from day one.

As for the Princess Consort issue, I suspect it doesn’t have as much to do with 'pandering' as it does with an understanding that the situation is awkward and sensitive, to put it mildly.

Probably more than the Earl of Essex does. But actually what title she gets is entirely up to the monarch alone and doesn't have anything to do with anyone else.

That's incorrect. The title of a Queen Consort can only be changed by Act of Parliament. So that's some 1300 people who have something to do with it (although 700 never actually come to vote in the Lords)

... [snipped] It takes two to tango, but it takes someone--in this case, the Heir to the Throne, who was deliberately abrogating his wedding vows--to get things started.
... [snipped]
Who is guilty in this awkward situation? Perhaps, indecisiveness and inability of Prince Charles to protect the true love of his life in front of crowds yet again ... ill advice from the Clarence House... What could the most ardent and staunch fans of late Princess Diana do, if Duchess of Cornwall were announced to be Queen Consort?

Last edited:
Precisely what about the situation requires flouting centuries of tradition and law?

Nothing. Royals have divorced before--lest you forget, that's the whole reason that the Anglican church even exists. Royals have had wives die before. And never has there been any ridiculous assertion that the new wife should not potentially get the title to which the previous wife was no longer entitled to--twice over, no less; divorce and death.

As of August 28, 1996, Diana no longer had any potential future claim to the title of Queen. Whether Charles married Camilla, Tiggy Legge-Bourke (thank God he didn't! I mean really, Queen Tiggy? Eeesh), or Miss Maria Lumpyfastener, 17 The Poplars, Brighton, his new wife would still be called Queen upon accession. Period.

The only circumstance under which I could even come close to understanding this absurdity would be if Charles had acceded to the throne before Diana's death, they had not divorced, and she had died while he was on the throne. In that case alone, I could see an argument for not making Camilla Queen.

Seeing as that's not the case, however.

then it’s “okay” as long as both parties understand that from day one.

If you think that Diana wasn't sat down for a very long and very frank conversation about precisely how Royal life works--including such 'delicate' subjects as mistresses and so on, then I have a bridge to sell you. The Grey Men of Westminster would not allow someone like her to come so close to the throne without it being made extremely clear what was expected of her, and what she could expect in return. I would think that Camilla has had precisely the same conversation, as has Kate Middleton (yes, they're not even engaged, but it could turn out that way and they need to cover their bets).

But moving back to the issue: can you provide any citations which would indicate that this has been done in the past, ever? Any sources which would back up the concept of not giving a woman her husband's title? ('Duchess of Cornwall' doesn't count; Camilla still received the title of Pss of Wales, she just doesn't use it. As the wife of the Sovereign--who is unable to hold dignities from himself--there would be no lesser title that she could use.)

That's incorrect. The title of a Queen Consort can only be changed by Act of Parliament. So that's some 1300 people who have something to do with it (although 700 never actually come to vote in the Lords)

Ermmm.. the Lords now only seats a few hundred, by election. Peerage no longer automatically confers a seat in Lords (except for 92 hereditary peers who were kept for the transition, including three who must retain their seats due to hereditary duties--Earl Marshal, Lord Chamberlain, and I forget the other).

Al_bina said:
Who is guilty in this awkward situation?

All three of them, of course. But what people continually forget is that Charles made the vows; Charles broke them. Ditto Diana.

What could the most ardent and staunch fans of late Princess Diana do, if Duchess of Cornwall were announced to be Queen Consort?

Wail and gnash their teeth, and then realize that oh hey, she becomes Queen as a matter of law and tradition, and anything else is an utter absurdity.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ermmm.. the Lords now only seats a few hundred, by election.

There are 628 life peers, all of whom are in the Lords still. No change has been made yet to that. The only elections for membership in the Lords are when hereditary peers with seats in the Lords die, the other hereditary peers of that party elect another hereditary peer to fill the vacancy.

Edit: There are also 92 Hereditary peers and 26 Lords Spiritual, for a grand total of 746.

http://www.parliament.uk/directories/house_of_lords_information_office/analysis_by_composition.cfm

Last edited:
Precisely what about the situation requires flouting centuries of tradition and law?

Nothing. Royals have divorced before--lest you forget, that's the whole reason that the Anglican church even exists. Royals have had wives die before. And never has there been any ridiculous assertion that the new wife should not potentially get the title to which the previous wife was no longer entitled to--twice over, no less; divorce and death.

As of August 28, 1996, Diana no longer had any potential future claim to the title of Queen. Whether Charles married Camilla, Tiggy Legge-Bourke (thank God he didn't! I mean really, Queen Tiggy? Eeesh), or Miss Maria Lumpyfastener, 17 The Poplars, Brighton, his new wife would still be called Queen upon accession. Period.

The only circumstance under which I could even come close to understanding this absurdity would be if Charles had acceded to the throne before Diana's death, they had not divorced, and she had died while he was on the throne. In that case alone, I could see an argument for not making Camilla Queen.

Seeing as that's not the case, however.

If you think that Diana wasn't sat down for a very long and very frank conversation about precisely how Royal life works--including such 'delicate' subjects as mistresses and so on, then I have a bridge to sell you. The Grey Men of Westminster would not allow someone like her to come so close to the throne without it being made extremely clear what was expected of her, and what she could expect in return. I would think that Camilla has had precisely the same conversation, as has Kate Middleton (yes, they're not even engaged, but it could turn out that way and they need to cover their bets).

But moving back to the issue: can you provide any citations which would indicate that this has been done in the past, ever? Any sources which would back up the concept of not giving a woman her husband's title? ('Duchess of Cornwall' doesn't count; Camilla still received the title of Pss of Wales, she just doesn't use it. As the wife of the Sovereign--who is unable to hold dignities from himself--there would be no lesser title that she could use.)
[/font][/size]

Sorry, but I can't make it clearer. IMO, the 'consort' issue is due to the fact that THIS PARTICULAR second wife was in the shadows all along.

And NO, I don't think for one moment that anyone sat Diana down and told her this is how it's going to be as it pertained to a mistress, etc. And ditto for Camilla. (She would never have done to her what she did so willingly to another woman.)

That is not my understanding; only 92 hereditary members are still automatically part of Lords. But we are digressing rather too far afield, I think.

Oh, I respectfully disagree. It only required a yes or no response. Diana was quite clear with her emphasis on 'of course,' as if to say that any other scenario was unthinkable. But for Charles it hit a nerve. He didn't expect the question and he couldn't think of a good answer.

He should have; it's not as though it's an unlikely question given the circumstances. But he struck me as more embarrassed than romantic or taken aback. He doesn't come from a background where exposing your feelings in public comes easily, and I think it showed in that interview.

Last edited:
Sorry, but I can't make it clearer. IMO, the 'consort' issue is due to the fact that THIS PARTICULAR second wife was in the shadows all along.

And again... that doesn't matter. Please provide citations and sources that show there is any precedent for doing this. The memory of a dead adulteress is not enough to contravene centuries of established law and precedent. If you're going to make value judgements about Camilla, then they should be made about Diana, too.

And NO, I don't think for one moment that anyone sat Diana down and told her this is how it's going to be as it pertained to a mistress, etc. And ditto for Camilla. (She would never have done to her what she did so willingly to another woman.)

Then I am afraid you are, to put it gently, not very well-informed as to how the world works at those levels. Nobody gets into that world without having a very clear explanation of how everything works.

To Prince Of Canada

Actually, I meant the Princess Consort situation, but not trite never ending debate "Who is the guiltiest party in the Waleses' marriage?"
You are quite right pointing that the super-staunch supports of late Princess Diana would not have organized any revolution and overthrown the established order. Thus, Prince Charles and his advisers are responsible for brewing this awkward situation for themselves. We can sit and wait for developments after Prince Charles' ascension.

He should have; it's not as though it's an unlikely question given the circumstances. But he struck me as more embarrassed than romatic or taken aback. He doesn't come from a background where exposing your feelings in public comes easily, and I think it showed in that interview.

Precisely. It was front-page news when HM showed emotion at her mother's funeral. That alone should give an excellent insight into the mechanisms of emotional distance at play in that household.

Then I am afraid you are, to put it gently, not very well-informed as to how the world works at those levels. Nobody gets into that world without having a very clear explanation of how everything works.

Well, yeeesss, but from what we hear about the people in the upper echelons of royal advisors, they can be awfully circumspect about how they say things. Diana was 19 years old, in love with Charles and the whole "becoming Princess of Wales" business, with a huge wedding to prepare for, very little educational background or experience with critical thinking, on the front pages of every newspaper and magazine, and generally in the middle of an emotional whirlwind. She may well have been given the explanations. Whether she absorbed them is quite another matter.

I've said before and I'll say it again now - I think her family really failed her. The royal advisors are there to serve and protect the royal family, but it was her own parents who should have made her understand what she was getting into, and it doesn't sound as though they tried very hard.

I lay precisely none of that responsibility there. However, the absurdity of this whole 'princess consort' affair is entirely and solely the result of pandering to the Diana worshippers. Unless someone can cite reputable sources which show that this has been done in the past? No? For crying out loud, even Henry VIII's multitude of wives were all called Queen. And there is simply no question that he was, shall we say, spreading his favours far and wide before, during, and after marriage.

In fact, it is much more common for Royals to hop from bed to bed than most people are comfortable accepting. The idea of lifelong monogamy is relatively new in those circles. Indeed, the whole concept of Royal (and, to a somewhat lesser extent) noble marriages is that they represent the transaction of property, titles, and duty. Once the heir (and a spare) was begat, most historic royal/noble couples would then proceed to have their own liaisons on the side. Look at how many Dukedoms were provided to illegitimate--even adulterous--children, for example.

I'm neither a Camilla nor a Diana worshipper. I'm just sick of watching the Diana zealots continue to punish Camilla for something that, to be brutally frank, is much more Charles' responsibility than that of the two women involved. It takes two to tango, but it takes someone--in this case, the Heir to the Throne, who was deliberately abrogating his wedding vows--to get things started.

'Princess consort' is a nonsense. It is a title which means nothing. Not only that, but it absolutely contravenes centuries of Royal practice, tradition, and law. Women take dignities from their husbands. Period. When a woman marries a man, she takes his title until divorce (and subsequent remarriage) or widowhood (in which case she would generally become the Dowager Title of Wherever). That's it. That's how it works. 'Princess consort' is a ridiculous made-up bit of foolishness meant as a sop to those who are unable to accept that not only did Diana behave as poorly as Charles, but that they were divorced and she subsequently died in a tragic accident. Frankly--and I know I'm ranging a bit far afield here--this cult of Diana serves to cheapen her memory and legacy, not to celebrate it; portraying her as the poor little victim of Charles and Camilla is to completely remove any agency she had over her own life. Or, to put it another way:

All of this handwaving about 'princess consort' is just that. As I have already pointed out, there is no precedent whatsoever for the title. As I have also pointed out, changing Camilla's title upon Charles' accession will require Acts of Parliament from all sixteen Commonwealth Realms. Every single one! Westminster may not act unilaterally in this case. And do you really think that the Palace would like to give Australia (which currently has the strongest republican movement within the Commonwealth) the perfect opening to abolish the monarchy? Charles' Accession alone will be more than enough; a tempest in a teapot over his wife's title will practically guarantee a republican victory in Australia. For goodness' sake, the republican talking points practically write themselves: "Is this all the monarchy is good for? They force us to pass an Act of Parliament so that Charles can call his bit on the side a Princess! Vote for an Australian Republic and be done with this Royal ridiculousness!"

Seriously. This is so silly.
Once again, the precedent of withholding a married woman's title within the BRF was set when HRH was with held from the last divorcee to marry into the immediate family (and I dont consider Princess Michael to be an equivilant position), ie the Duchess of Windsor. In fact, the only reason that Charles is the heir apparant and his mother and grandfather were king/queen is that the divorced lady in question was not regarded as fit to be queen. It's mighty convenient that it worked out that way, hmmm? Although in the earlier case, public opinion was much more in favor of Queen Wallis, to keep the very popular last PoW. I just finished reading the Duke of Windsor's autobiography. Most enlightening and with so many parallels to this case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom