The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #101  
Old 04-19-2008, 11:15 PM
politikgirl's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 233
While I'm not a "fan" of Camilla in any way, and on a personal level do not respect Charles' and Camilla's behaviour in the past, in my opinion, my and anyone else's issues with their personal behaviour should have no bearing on Camilla's current or future title. Monarchs and royals do not "earn" their titles based on what the public thinks of their morality or personal behaviour, and as such, these feelings and emotions should not determine what title someone is to receive.

While I can understand why they did not want Camilla to be addressed as HRH The Princess of Wales (since it would hit a sore spot with those who have great loyalty to the late Diana, Princess of Wales), there is no strong legal or political argument for why Camilla is now known as HRH The Duchess of Cornwall or for why Camilla, upon Charles' ascendance to the throne, should be known as HRH The Princess Consort and not HM The Queen (unless we're talking about a change to titles due to gender equality along the lines of the Dutch).
__________________

__________________
  #102  
Old 04-20-2008, 02:51 AM
Jo of Palatine's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Munich, Germany
Posts: 3,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
I think we've been round this loop before, but as long as she signed Camilla R on legal documents, what's to stop her calling herself anything she wants to call herself?
Bozo comes to mind...
__________________

__________________
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
  #103  
Old 04-20-2008, 03:35 AM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 802
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbenson View Post

Indeed. I think that's been proven (though on a lesser scale) with Princess Alice and the Wessex children.
Princess Alice and the Wessex children actually legally hold ( or held in Alice's case) the titles they used.

Princess Alice, the Duchess of Gloucester became a princess when she married Prince Henry of Gloucester ( who was Duke of Gloucester) she was Princess Henry of Gloucester. After her husband died she asked the Queen if she could use her own name, so she was styled Princess Alice, Duchess of Gloucester, but by virtue of her marriage to a British prince, she did hold the title of princess.
The Wessex children hold the titles they are currently known by as their father is the Earl of Wessex. yes they do hold other titles but the lesser ones are the ones they are known by.

Once Charles becomes King, Camilla has the title Queen, no other title. The Princess Consort title doesn't exist unless parliament creates it.

Camilla could be known by a totally fictious title ( Princess Consort) and legally sign everything Camilla R but that then devalues all legal titles in the UK. By Camilla by openly using a title that has no legal foundation,would leave the gates open to anyone naming themselves 'Prince/ Princess/Duke/Duchess' etc all titles would be discredited.
__________________
  #104  
Old 04-20-2008, 04:05 AM
wbenson's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: -, United States
Posts: 2,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte1 View Post
Camilla could be known by a totally fictious title ( Princess Consort) and legally sign everything Camilla R but that then devalues all legal titles in the UK. By Camilla by openly using a title that has no legal foundation,would leave the gates open to anyone naming themselves 'Prince/ Princess/Duke/Duchess' etc all titles would be discredited.
Oh, I agree. I just think that if they go the Princess Consort route, they'll do that, everything else be damned. Why wreck just one coach when you can wreck an entire train? Creating a new title for one Queen just to please certain sycophantic loyalists to a deceased former Princess devalues titles almost as much, IMO.
__________________
  #105  
Old 04-20-2008, 04:20 AM
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: ***, United States
Posts: 16,897
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte1 View Post
Princess Alice and the Wessex children actually legally hold ( or held in Alice's case) the titles they used.

Princess Alice, the Duchess of Gloucester became a princess when she married Prince Henry of Gloucester ( who was Duke of Gloucester) she was Princess Henry of Gloucester. After her husband died she asked the Queen if she could use her own name, so she was styled Princess Alice, Duchess of Gloucester, but by virtue of her marriage to a British prince, she did hold the title of princess.
She did hold the title of Princess, but the name "Princess Alice" is no more correct than the name "Princess Diana." Wives of princes don't become princesses in their own right, and it seemed a bit disingenuous of the royal advisors to expect that people would understand that Diana wasn't Princess Diana after the Duchess of Gloucester had suddenly metamorphosed into Princess Alice.

The main difference is that the degree of royalness is the same (HRH in both cases) whereas for Camilla it would be different. However, the fact that it was HRH in both cases doesn't make "Princess Alice" correct in the context of the British system.
__________________
  #106  
Old 04-20-2008, 04:25 AM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: England, United Kingdom
Posts: 113
Princess Consort

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
I assume they might do what they did for the Dowager Duchess of Gloucester and let her be known as Princess Camilla...
Alice Monagu-Douglas-Scott was permitted by HM the Queen to style herself as Princess Alice the Duchess of Gloucester because she did not wish to use the style of the Dowager Duchess of Gloucester. However, her style "princess" was not created by the letters patent but it was a mere courtesy title. For this reason, Camilla is not princess but is Princess Charles, nor Sophie the Countess of Wessex is a princess but is Princess Edward. Likewise, Diana was never Princess Diana but was Princess Charles during her marriage to the Princess of Wales & post their divorce Diana, Princess of Wales (without the).

Re: the Princess Consort

It must be possible to creat Camilla as the Princess Consort by the letters patent as in the case of Prince Albert, the husband of Queen Victoria, who was later created as the Prince Consort for the British Parliament did not allow him to style as HM the King Consort.

In addition to this, HRH the Prince Philip the Duke of Edinburgh has never been created as the Prince Consort but was created as the Duke of Edinburgh by George VI and later created as the Prince Philip by his wife.
__________________
  #107  
Old 04-20-2008, 10:06 AM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: , United States
Posts: 2,731
All wives of sons and male-line grandsons of The Sovereign automatically become HRH Princess of the UK, but only as reflected by their husband's name or title ("HRH The Princess Henry", "HRH The Princess of Wales").

However, The Sovereign can certainly grant the courtesy of being known as "Princess Diana" or "Princess Alice" without issuing letters patent as they ARE princesses by marriage. In Diana's case, she was permitted this courtesy without objection after divorce as the mother of a future King.
__________________
  #108  
Old 04-20-2008, 10:12 AM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: , United States
Posts: 2,731
Quote:
Originally Posted by serenissima View Post
It must be possible to creat Camilla as the Princess Consort by the letters patent as in the case of Prince Albert, the husband of Queen Victoria, who was later created as the Prince Consort for the British Parliament did not allow him to style as HM the King Consort.

In addition to this, HRH the Prince Philip the Duke of Edinburgh has never been created as the Prince Consort but was created as the Duke of Edinburgh by George VI and later created as the Prince Philip by his wife.
The big difference there is they are male and cannot share their wives' rank or titles. Therefore, they must use their own or be granted additional honours by The Sovereign.

Camilla could not be known as Princess Consort without legislation. Unlike the present situation whereas she enjoys many different titles as the wife of the heir to the throne, once her husband is King, there is no other title for her use except Queen.

Since she is presently a princess of the UK by marriage, using her ducal style as Duchess of Cornwall is not a problem because she shares her husband's rank as HRH and can use whatever style he holds. If she became Princess Consort, she would legally be morganatic since she does not enjoy the rank and title of HM The Queen.
__________________
  #109  
Old 04-20-2008, 10:58 AM
jcbcode99's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Richmond Area, United States
Posts: 1,980
Quote:
Originally Posted by branchg View Post
The big difference there is they are male and cannot share their wives' rank or titles. Therefore, they must use their own or be granted additional honours by The Sovereign.

Camilla could not be known as Princess Consort without legislation. Unlike the present situation whereas she enjoys many different titles as the wife of the heir to the throne, once her husband is King, there is no other title for her use except Queen.

Since she is presently a princess of the UK by marriage, using her ducal style as Duchess of Cornwall is not a problem because she shares her husband's rank as HRH and can use whatever style he holds. If she became Princess Consort, she would legally be morganatic since she does not enjoy the rank and title of HM The Queen.
If she became Princess Consort by Letters Patent or was just known as Princess Consort? How could she be morganatic when Charles' own grandmother was a commoner who became Queen? Diana was a commoner as well, Sarah was a commoner, Sophie was commoner--Wouldn't Queen Mary's marriage to George V have been considered morganatic, but Queen Victoria thought that ridiculous (James Pope Hennessey bio). I thought that morganatic marriages were not recognized in the UK?
I believe that when the original announcment was made that it said that Camilla would be HRH The Princess of Wales, but would be known as HRH THe Duchess of Cornwall, and upon Charles' becoming King she would be known as HRH The PRincess Consort--no one said anything about demoting her, just calling her by a different style. Using a different style is not morganatic.
I think I'm confused--this subject is fraught with nuances and precdence and just plain confusion.
__________________
Janet

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
  #110  
Old 04-20-2008, 11:44 AM
Warren's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 15,305
What Branchg means is that by not allowing Camilla to share her husband's rank and title would effectively make her 'morganatic'. The definition of morganatic is the spouse (and children) not having a claim to the title of the person of higher rank. The refusal of George VI to allow the Duchess of Windsor to share her husband's style of HRH while sharing his title made her part-morganatic, even though the concept of a morganatic marriage is not recognised in British law.
__________________
Seeking information? Check out the extensive Royal A-Z
  #111  
Old 04-20-2008, 11:49 AM
lucien's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Amsterdam, Netherlands
Posts: 6,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
Welcome to part 3 of the ongoing discussion about the title Camilla will hold if and when Charles becomes King.

Part 2 can be found here.

What title?No question,the one she is fully entitled to:Queen.

About time the Brits get over it,and quitte the false sentiments,
often fueled by what they call press.

So,Queen Camilla it will be.
__________________
  #112  
Old 04-20-2008, 12:17 PM
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: ***, United States
Posts: 16,897
You might want to let the royal family official website know, then...

They still seem to think she's going to be Princess Consort.
__________________
  #113  
Old 04-20-2008, 12:23 PM
TheTruth's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Between the first and second floor of the Eiffel Tower, France
Posts: 2,682
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucien View Post

What title?No question,the one she is fully entitled to:Queen.

About time the Brits get over it,and quitte the false sentiments,
often fueled by what they call press.

So,Queen Camilla it will be.
It's been repeated over and over again that when Prince Charles married Camilla, it was very clear that she shouldn't be Queen consort but Princess consort. For the moment, no one is talking about Queen consort. :

From wikipedia : Queen consort - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Quote:
When their wedding was announced it was declared that, in the event of Charles's ascent to the British throne, Camilla would assume the title of Princess Consort and not that of Queen. Subsequent British ministerial comment during Parliamentary discussion confirmed, however, that she would necessarily retain the few legal prerogatives reserved for, and the legal title of, a British queen consort.
__________________

Please, help find a cure for ALS

Because it matters...
  #114  
Old 04-20-2008, 12:26 PM
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: ***, United States
Posts: 16,897
Quote:
Originally Posted by branchg View Post
All wives of sons and male-line grandsons of The Sovereign automatically become HRH Princess of the UK, but only as reflected by their husband's name or title ("HRH The Princess Henry", "HRH The Princess of Wales").

However, The Sovereign can certainly grant the courtesy of being known as "Princess Diana" or "Princess Alice" without issuing letters patent as they ARE princesses by marriage. In Diana's case, she was permitted this courtesy without objection after divorce as the mother of a future King.
She was Diana Princess of Wales after divorce, not Princess Diana. People called her Princess Diana from the moment she was married, but it didn't make it a correct style.
__________________
  #115  
Old 04-20-2008, 12:30 PM
lucien's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Amsterdam, Netherlands
Posts: 6,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
You might want to let the royal family official website know, then...

They still seem to think she's going to be Princess Consort.

Good morning Elspeth!
__________________
  #116  
Old 04-20-2008, 12:34 PM
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: ***, United States
Posts: 16,897
Afternoon, Lucien...
__________________
  #117  
Old 04-20-2008, 12:35 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: , United States
Posts: 2,731
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
She was Diana Princess of Wales after divorce, not Princess Diana. People called her Princess Diana from the moment she was married, but it didn't make it a correct style.
Legally, of course, you are right. But the Palace also referred to her on many occasions as "Princess Diana" so I think it's safe to assume she was granted the courtesy.
__________________
  #118  
Old 04-20-2008, 12:42 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: , United States
Posts: 2,731
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcbcode99 View Post
If she became Princess Consort by Letters Patent or was just known as Princess Consort? How could she be morganatic...
At present, she is legally "HRH The Princess Charles" the same as any wife of a son or male-line grandson of a Sovereign. Because Charles is the heir to the throne, he also is Prince of Wales, Duke of Cornwall and Rothesay, Earl of Chester & Carrick, etc. As his wife, Camilla holds these titles as well, which means she can use any of them as her style without calling into question her rank as HRH and a Princess by marriage.

Once Charles becomes King, his wife is automatically Queen Consort. Her style, title and rank is superior to a princess as HM Queen Camilla. The question of whether she can, in fact, be called "something else" (i.e. a lesser rank and title as Princess Consort) when she is legally Queen has not been considered yet by Parliament.

It is possible they will agree this can be done, but I think they will run into problems constitutionally and require legislation.
__________________
  #119  
Old 04-20-2008, 12:48 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: , United States
Posts: 2,731
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
The refusal of George VI to allow the Duchess of Windsor to share her husband's style of HRH while sharing his title made her part-morganatic, even though the concept of a morganatic marriage is not recognised in British law.
What happened in 1937 with the issuance of letters patent denying Wallis royal rank created a legal precedent for a morganatic marriage in the UK.

She was denied the rank and title of "HRH Princess Edward", which should have been hers automatically by law, and allowed only "Her Grace Wallis, Duchess of Windsor", which was inferior to her husband's rank and title as a son of the Sovereign.

There is no question the marriage was morganatic legally.
__________________
  #120  
Old 04-20-2008, 01:55 PM
jcbcode99's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Richmond Area, United States
Posts: 1,980
I misunderstood--I know that if Camilla were to be HRH The Princess Consort that there would be an inequality, thus in effect making it a morganatic marriage--I was just confused that it would be regarded defacto as a morganatic marriage.
Was it Her Grace Wallis, Duchess of Windsor or was it Her Grace Wallis, The Duchess of Windsor?
So here is my question--and if it has been asked forgive me but there is so much going on in this thread I get dizzy reading it--
Currently, Camilla is legally HRH Camilla, THe Princess of Wales but goes by HRH The Duchess of Cornwall--she holds the equal of all Charles' titles
So, when Charles becomes King will it be a similar situation of her legally holding the title of HM The Queen Camilla but instead choosing to style herself as HRH The Princess Consort?
As I understand it, the debate is whether she will choose to be known as Queen or Princess. Personallly, and take it for what its worth--but I just don't like Princess for Camilla. Call me old-fashioned, but it just would not suit her. Duchess suits her, and Queen would suit her as well.
I'm with Lucien.
__________________

__________________
Janet

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Closed Thread

Tags
camilla, duchess of cornwall, princess consort, queen consort, styles and titles


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Title for Camilla - Part 2 wymanda The Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall 505 01-30-2008 12:07 PM
Title For Camilla TODOI The Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall 153 06-02-2004 03:12 AM




Additional Links
Popular Tags
birth charlene chris o'neill crown prince felipe crown prince frederik crown prince haakon crown princess letizia crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit crown princess victoria current events fashion genealogy grand duchess maria teresa grand duke henri hohenzollern infanta elena infanta sofia jordan kate middleton king abdullah ii king carl xvi gustav king felipe king felipe vi king harald king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander luxembourg olympics ottoman picture of the month pom prince albert prince albert ii prince carl philip prince constantijn prince felipe prince floris prince laurent prince pieter-christiaan princess princess alexia (2005 -) princess anita princess ariane princess beatrix princess catharina-amalia princess charlene princess claire princess laurentien princess letizia princess mabel princess madeleine princess margriet princess marie princess mary queen letizia queen mathilde queen maxima queen paola queen rania queen silvia queen sofia royal russia sofia hellqvist spain state visit wedding william


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

RV & Travel Trailer Communities

Our RV & Travel Trailer sites encompasses virtually all types of Recreational Vehicles, from brand-specific to general RV communities.

» More about our RV Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002-2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:00 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises

Royal News Delivered to your Email!

You can get the latest Royal News right in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]