The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 12:12 PM
Serene Highness

Personal remarks have been deleted. Let's not go down this road today everyone.

kimebear
British Royal Forums Moderator

Old 07-23-2008, 03:39 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon View Post
Yes, he started to speak about being "Defender of Faiths" the minute he realized his first marriage was probably headed toward the divorce court. How convenient. As if anyone would really want such a disgraceful, deceitful individual to be defender of their faith when he can't even honor his own. No doubt the Guildhall ceremony was appropriate for him but not in any sense that contributes well to the history of that family, that's for sure. Charles is happy in his lies, alright, but unfortunately for you many people in the Commonwealth are headed to the exit door and want to be a republic. No Millie for Queen in Oz-land it seems.
Let the Aussies deal with it in time and enjoy the feeling of living in a republic for yourself. But if you'd cared to inform yourself about Charles, then you'd know that he has an university degree in anthropology which includes anthropology of religions, since 1970. So he obviously had thought about religions and their developpment pre-marriage to Diana.

'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 07-24-2008, 07:10 AM
Administrator in Memoriam

Posts more concerned with the details of the wedding service have been moved to The Marriage thread.
Old 07-24-2008, 07:39 AM
Majesty

Queen Camilla, it has to be!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-24-2008, 08:18 AM
Heir Apparent

I am one of probably one, in this forum who would welcome Camilla being created Princess Consort...

I admit nothing would please me more if she were created a Princess in her own right, and I really hope they get onto it soon if there is any credit behind it's intention, or as one site boasts, it's actuality.

BUT, and there is always a but...if Camilla becomes Queen I'll certainly be one of the first here, to address her as such...

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 07-24-2008, 09:54 AM
Heir Presumptive

Dont forget that the Phillip Duke of E was not created a Prince of England until he had been married for over 10 years to Queen Elizabeth. I too, would prefer that 'they' stick to their announced intention of Princess Consort.
Old 07-24-2008, 01:29 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monika_ View Post
Yes, any woman Charles married after Diana would have a tough time of it. There would be the inevitable comparisons, etc. I totally agree with that. But I respectfully disagree with your assumption that there would be 'hostility.' If Charles married someone who came into his life after he was divorced from Diana, things would have been different. Not easy perhaps, but quite different...
I respectfully disagree. Had Charles married anyone other than Camilla, there most likely wouldn’t have been any hostility or drama. Especially if it was someone he met after the divorce. The hostility comes from the fact that Camilla was named as the other woman and blamed by the beloved Diana herself as a huge factor in the breakup of the marriage. Had Charles married Lady Jane Doe I don’t think there would have been any hostility. Comparisons yes, anger no. Comparisons will be inevitable for any woman that marries a man close to the throne, i.e.Kate Middleton, Chelsy Dave, or any other girl the Princes decide to marry.
Old 07-24-2008, 03:13 PM
Heir Presumptive

You know something? If Camilla is so horrible, so evil that she can't be named Queen, then Charles can't be King. Give HIM some new title. He's just as guilty as Camilla is, yet no one seems to rail on him the way they do on her. That ain't right. And Diana was just as responsible for the downfall of their marriage as all the other parties involved. It's not like she was sitting at home, bouncing her boys on her lap while Charles and Camilla were out painting the town red.
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever......"
Old 07-24-2008, 03:23 PM
Heir Presumptive

Perhaps you might consider the chronology of events, sister morphine. Life does not exist in a vacuum. It is a series actions and reactions. As for giving Charles another title, the ones I thought were most appropriate to the situation when the engagement was announced, were the second Duke and Duchess of Windsor, whose situation was a close parallel and had set precendent. And Binky, I absolutely agree with your thought. If the second wife had been someone Charles met after the divorce, without all of the baggage of being a factor, the engagement and marriage would have been warmly received.
Old 07-24-2008, 03:50 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binky View Post
Had Charles married anyone other than Camilla, there most likely wouldn’t have been any hostility or drama. Especially if it was someone he met after the divorce. The hostility comes from the fact that Camilla was named as the other woman and blamed by the beloved Diana herself as a huge factor in the breakup of the marriage. Had Charles married Lady Jane Doe I don’t think there would have been any hostility. Comparisons yes, anger no. Comparisons will be inevitable for any woman that marries a man close to the throne, i.e.Kate Middleton, Chelsy Dave, or any other girl the Princes decide to marry.
I agree. Along with which, he spent years and years trying to plan a way which would make this second marriage acceptable which he wouldn't have had to do at all had he married any other woman whom he hadn't had an affair and wasn't divorced. As it was, he had to come up with all sorts of pr spins to make her suddenly more acceptable than she'd been back in the late seventies, nor would he have had to come up with illusory "Defender of All Faiths" spin which is nothing but a cover for the fact that he couldn't even get married again in a regular church wedding in his own faith of which he's supposedly going to become the "Defender". Good thing his mother is alive for now so that he can't become the Supreme Governor of the C. of E. and that would only add to their problems in declining membership and inner disputes.
Old 07-24-2008, 04:27 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
Perhaps you might consider the chronology of events, sister morphine. Life does not exist in a vacuum. It is a series actions and reactions.
As the chronology of events is disputable, It is perhaps not the thread to discuss that.

We also all know, this is not a thread to discuss the foursome, Edward, Wallis or anyone else.
Old 07-24-2008, 04:53 PM
Heir Presumptive

Duke and Duchess of Windsor was my suggestion for the title for Camilla (this thread) and Charles (in reply to Sister Morphine). I was citing the precedent, which I believe falls within the parameters of the thread, no?
Old 07-24-2008, 05:00 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
Duke and Duchess of Windsor was my suggestion for the title for Camilla (this thread) and Charles (in reply to Sister Morphine). I was citing the precedent, which I believe falls within the parameters of the thread, no?
Not quite, IMO. The circumstances surrounding Edward & Wallis are far removed from that of Camilla & Charles, therefore no precedent has been set or could be applied.
Old 07-24-2008, 05:05 PM
Imperial Majesty

Course, if Charles were to abdicate...
Old 07-24-2008, 05:14 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
Course, if Charles were to abdicate...
He has got to become King first! , then he can abdicate and then......
Old 07-24-2008, 05:56 PM
Aristocracy

Isn't it funny that the Queen and the rest of the royal family choose to refer to Camilla as the Duchess of Cornwall to emphasize that she is not a princess, but when Charles becomes King, they want to refer to Camilla as a Princess Consort? The royal family is hesitant on emphasizing that she is princess now; why would they wish to call her a princess later? I think that Camilla will become Queen Camilla in due time. It's already been a decade since Diana died, and Charles and Camilla are already married. Imagine what other revelations another decade will bring. I think it will bring more and more acceptance of Camilla as Queen rather than just a princess consort.
Old 07-24-2008, 05:59 PM
Moderator Emeritus

They don't do it to emphasize that she isn't a princess anymore than they emphasize that about the Countess of Wessex, Duchess of Gloucester, and Duchess of Kent, who are all princesses. Or they're pretty bad at it, since they use the style of one (Royal Highness) in referring to her.
Old 07-24-2008, 06:00 PM
Aristocracy

That's what I read somewhere.
Old 07-24-2008, 06:07 PM
Gentry

I think the Camilla will be Queen Consort. The whole "Princess" Consort business was to just "soften" the blow of the "other" woman becoming the new wife. Using Duchess of Cornwall instead of Princess of Wales for now was a smart and tactful move.

By the time the Queen passes and Charles ascends the throne, enough time will have passed so the public will be more accepting. I am a huge Diana fan myself and I think Camilla should and will be Queen.

If there is one thing the BRF is big on its tradition. Camilla will be Queen; William will be POW (and his wife PrssOW).
Old 07-24-2008, 07:17 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melania View Post
Isn't it funny that the Queen and the rest of the royal family choose to refer to Camilla as the Duchess of Cornwall to emphasize that she is not a princess,
Quote:
..SNIPPED... Using Duchess of Cornwall instead of Princess of Wales for now was a smart and tactful move.
As I understand, it was Camilla's choice not to use the Princess of Wales title, however she is still The Princess of Wales.
Quote:
By the time the Queen passes and Charles ascends the throne, enough time will have passed so the public will be more accepting.
More than likely, as there seems to be a greater acceptance by ordinary people now. By ordinary people I mean the ones that don't spend an enormous amount of time or money taking part in polls run by some of the tabloids.

Closed Thread

Tags
camilla, duchess of cornwall, princess consort, queen consort, styles and titles