The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-01-2006, 10:44 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by branchg
Legally, she is all of the above. But, she is styled HRH The Duchess of Cornwall (Duchess of Rothesay in Scotland) by order of the Queen.
When did the Queen give this 'order'?

I have only read that she decided to be known as the Duchess of Cornwall and intends to be known as Princess Consort.

In none of the articles I read at the time of the engagement or since has it been suggested that the Queen actually ordered Camilla to adopt the title Duchess of Cornwall - approving her use of that title is not the same thing as ordering it.

Please provide a link to the details of this 'order'.

Old 01-01-2006, 11:07 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissy57
I think you're right. Camilla's title is hers by virtue of her marriage.

Old 01-02-2006, 06:38 AM

She will be Queen of all those countries though won't she? Albeit in the status of a Queen Consort.
Old 01-02-2006, 06:54 AM
Imperial Majesty

What a pity she didn't use Camilla, Princess of Scotland.

It seems unseemly and unfair to say, Prince Charles and the Duchess of Cornwall!
Old 01-02-2006, 06:56 AM

Well it's not incorrect to call them The Prince and Princess of Wales. Because that's just what they are. For years people were able to call Diana 'Princess Diana' with no problems at all - so I intend to use Princess Camilla if I like.
Old 01-02-2006, 07:43 AM
Aristocracy

I agree with you BeatrixFan, I will call her Princess Camilla too if I like.
Old 01-02-2006, 10:19 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissy57

I have only read that she decided to be known as the Duchess of Cornwall and intends to be known as Princess Consort.

In none of the articles I read at the time of the engagement or since has it been suggested that the Queen actually ordered Camilla to adopt the title Duchess of Cornwall - approving her use of that title is not the same thing as ordering it.

Please provide a link to the details of this 'order'.
The Queen should have issued a Royal Warrant stating what Camilla's style and title would be, just as she should have with Louise Wessex. She didn't do so in order to leave the door open to a different outcome for both.

However, she still approved and gave assent, as she would to any change in the future.
Old 01-02-2006, 10:23 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan
Well it's not incorrect to call them The Prince and Princess of Wales. Because that's just what they are. For years people were able to call Diana 'Princess Diana' with no problems at all - so I intend to use Princess Camilla if I like.
It is incorrect to refer to Camilla as The Princess of Wales because her style and title is Duchess of Cornwall. Similarly, it is incorrect to refer to Louise Wessex as Princess Louise because her style and title is Lady Louise Windsor.

The Queen did not object to "Princess Diana" because she was the mother of a future king, however, technically she was no longer a princess of the UK after the divorce. She was HRH The Princess of Wales while married.
Old 01-02-2006, 11:07 AM

It isn't incorrect at all. She IS the Princess of Wales. Just because she prefers to be called the Duchess of Cornwall doesn't come into at all.

She is the Princess of Wales, people called the old one Princess Diana, Camilla is the step-mother of a future king and Camilla is a Princess of the Realm. So Princess of Wales is good enough for me, as well as Princess Camilla. I know that Princess Camilla is incorrect but I like it and thats how I'll refer to her.
Old 01-02-2006, 11:21 AM
Commoner

i will never in my life refer to camilla as a princess, she isnt she is a duchess thats why shes called the duchess of cornwall that is her style and title not princess, if charles becomes king she will never be queen to me and i will never call her by princess queen or any other title, it has already been said she will be princess consort she will not be known as the queen of england. In my opinion camilla shouldnt have any title, i haven't and never will refer to her as a HRH or the duchess of cornwall or anything else, all she will ever been known to me is just camilla the prince of wales wife and former mistress, she aint worthy of anything else other then that
Old 01-02-2006, 11:25 AM

Camilla's full title is -

Her Royal Highness The Princess of Wales and Countess of Chester, Duchess of Cornwall, Duchess of Rothesay, Countess of Carrick, Baroness of Renfrew, Lady of the Isles, Princess of Scotland

Therefore, She is a Princess, a Duchess , a Countess and a Baroness. She also has those magic initials of HRH and that entitles her to be known as Her Royal Highness. The Queen didn't pass letters patent to stop her getting these titles and therefore she can use anyone of them she pleases - but they all belong to her. Whether you like it or not, she's a Princess and a future Queen. And that's all folks.
Old 01-02-2006, 11:32 AM
Commoner

she maybe the future queen but i will never call her by it, in my eyes she will never be my queen and i dont think most the country will either. the UK has accept the fact there married but you see any poll thats done the UK all of them show we will never accept her being Queen and i really cant see that changing. The only people ive notice that dont mind her being queen is mainly people from other countries where she wont be there queen. in my opinion she is just a selfish lady who couldnt keep her hands of someone elses husband if she loved charles as much as she said she wouldnt of married someone else, charles is just as bad, i hate to see the day when he becomes king and if he makes her queen it'll be a sad day
Old 01-02-2006, 11:35 AM

When she marries Charles, she'll automatically be Queen. Again, as before, she'll legally be Queen even if she calls herself by another title. Whether you recognise it or not really doesn't matter because thats what she'll be - and thats it.
Old 01-02-2006, 11:39 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raia
i will never in my life refer to camilla as a princess, she isnt she is a duchess thats why shes called the duchess of cornwall that is her style and title not princess, if charles becomes king she will never be queen to me and i will never call her by princess queen or any other title, it has already been said she will be princess consort she will not be known as the queen of england. In my opinion camilla shouldnt have any title, i haven't and never will refer to her as a HRH or the duchess of cornwall or anything else, all she will ever been known to me is just camilla the prince of wales wife and former mistress, she aint worthy of anything else other then that
It's your choice whether to call her a princess, of course, but that doesn't mean she isn't one. She's HRH the Princess of Wales, although she's using her HRH the Duchess of Cornwall title for, no doubt, a number of reasons. You're perfectly free to say you don't think she should have any titles, but you're incorrect to say that she isn't a princess. She's Princess of Wales by virtue of being the wife of the Prince of Wales.
Old 01-02-2006, 11:59 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raia
i dont think most the country will either. the UK has accept the fact there married but you see any poll thats done the UK all of them show we will never accept her being Queen and i really cant see that changing. The only people ive notice that dont mind her being queen is mainly people from other countries where she wont be there queen.
The UK will accept her as Queen Consort, in time.
Most of the polls you see are very limited. How can you judge what a country will do by asking 750 - 1000 people. A lot of the polls on line or that people phone into, are inundated by supporters of his ex, phoning in repeatedly to vote, I am told they even e-mail or phone one another to ensure they 'swing' the result. I believe there are approximately 62 million people in the UK, so 1000, the norm in a poll, is laughable.
I am English born, with some Scottish blood, I will welcome Charles and Camilla, when the time comes, as my rightfull King and Queen Consort!
Old 01-02-2006, 01:26 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
She is the Princess of Wales, people called the old one Princess Diana, Camilla is the step-mother of a future king and Camilla is a Princess of the Realm. So Princess of Wales is good enough for me, as well as Princess Camilla.
to be the mother and the step-mother of a future king are different things.
if charles die camilla automally is out of the royal family but if charles die (and diana alive, of course) diana (divorced) still would be a member to the royal family, that was the advantage that diana had to the the Duchess of York.
now of course, camilla is the princess of wales but the royal house was very clear abuot the title. if was camila's desition of was queen's decition we don't know. if you want call them the prince and the princess of wales do it, is well for you, but que royal house said a thing different.
I want call louise ''princess louise'' because she is a princess, is a prince's daughter but is incorret if i call her in this way because for the royal hause she is lady louise.
with camilla is the same, was interrect call diana ''THE princess diana'' THE is only for the menbers of the royal family.
Today the world has embraced new royal Princesses in the form of Mary of Denmark and Maxima of the Netherlands. But it's questionable whether even these hugely popular, increasingly glamorous future Queens will ever capture the world's imagination in the same way as Diana.
As Mario acknowledges: "She really was a true Princess".
-www.theroyalist.net-
Old 01-02-2006, 01:31 PM

Wrong I'm afraid. If Charles were to die tomorrow, Camilla is still a member of the Royal Family. Then it would be up to the Queen as to what Camilla's title would be.

I've already acknowledged that calling her Princess Camilla is incorrect but so was calling Diana, Princess Diana. She certainly wasn't THE Princess Diana not being the daughter of a Monarch but maybe thats what you said. I'm sorry but I find it hard to understand your posts sometimes so if that is what you meant, ignore that.

I should imagine if Charles died before he became King then the Queen would follow the precedent that Marina and Alice used. Camilla might become Princess Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall leaving her daughter-in-law to become The Duchess of Cornwall. Who knows? But she'd still be a member of the Royal Family.
Old 01-02-2006, 01:34 PM
Heir Presumptive

If Chalres dies Camilla is still a member of the royal family and a senior royal. She will still be HRH The Dowager Duchess of Cornwall or if the Queen lets HRH Princess Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall. She would still be an active member carrying on importent roles if she wished too.
Old 01-02-2006, 01:38 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Wrong I'm afraid. If Charles were to die tomorrow, Camilla is still a member of the Royal Family. Then it would be up to the Queen as to what Camilla's title would be.

I've already acknowledged that calling her Princess Camilla is incorrect but so was calling Diana, Princess Diana. She certainly wasn't THE Princess Diana not being the daughter of a Monarch but maybe thats what you said. I'm sorry but I find it hard to understand your posts sometimes so if that is what you meant, ignore that.

I should imagine if Charles died before he became King then the Queen would follow the precedent that Marina and Alice used. Camilla might become Princess Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall leaving her daughter-in-law to become The Duchess of Cornwall. Who knows? But she'd still be a member of the Royal Family.
call diana ''princess diana'' is incorrent, call diana ''THE princess diana'' was incorrent, the correct was diana, princess of wales. Now the correct is (as the royal house said) camilla duchess of cornwall, if you want call her princess of wales is ok, she legally is princess of wales, i just said that not is that the royal hause said about the camilla title.
the princess alice and princess marina was members of the royal famile later their husbands died because they had children. i think, I not sure.
Today the world has embraced new royal Princesses in the form of Mary of Denmark and Maxima of the Netherlands. But it's questionable whether even these hugely popular, increasingly glamorous future Queens will ever capture the world's imagination in the same way as Diana.
As Mario acknowledges: "She really was a true Princess".
-www.theroyalist.net-
Old 01-02-2006, 01:43 PM

Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall is incorrect. She's HRH The Duchess of Cornwall. She's the only one holding the title at present.

Tags
camilla, duchess of cornwall, princess consort, queen consort, styles and titles