The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 01:36 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToytownZara View Post
On that, we agree - but what about the religious aspects? And does the Archbishop of Canterbury get any say in it, if her ex WAS still living at the time of coronation?

Could she be CALLED Queen without being CROWNED as such - or am I just a dithering idiot who needs major revision on the subject of royalty?

I'm not trying to be difficult, I'm just a bit confused.
As Camilla's first husband was a Catholic, I guess fot the CoE Charles is a widower and Camilla never was married properly. At least that's how Catholics deal with the case when the first spouse was not a catholic and the first marriage did not take place in the Catholic church according to the wedding sacrament, then the second marriage is the real one.

But if now a document shows up by Andrew Parker Bowles saying that the queen is going to abdicate next year and that Charles will bump him off, I start yelling!

'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 01-24-2008, 03:28 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimebear View Post
What was the childish behavior?
According to the media press pack on Prince Charles's website for the wedding there was meant to be a 5 minute photo-call for the couple and their families on the steps of St George's Chapel when they emerged after the service. This never happened, because: a) the Queen walked off the steps and into her waiting car, leaving Prince Charles ushering to an empty space beside him; and b) someone ordered the ushers inside the chapel to close the doors in front of the Shand family, thus preventing them from emerging onto the steps until after the Queen & Prince Philip had departed. The former can be confirmed by looking at an unedited video of the ceremony and the latter by Tom P-B's joke about it on US tv recently.
The 'Greville' jewels which Camilla frequently wears - the 5 strand necklace & engagement ring - were given to the Queen Mother in 1942 by a close friend. King George VI thought them so extravagant that he forbade her to wear them in public during & after the war years. They first appeared in public onlyafter the King's death, in 1960 for the State Visit of President De Gaulle. I, therefore, doubt that she would have considered them part of the Royal Collection of jewels. Certainly, according to people I know in the Royal Collection the Queen Mother didn't consider her paintings collection to belong to the Queen and therefore bequeathed it to Prince Charles, knowing that he would then allow the Royal Collection to display it. So I would think that it was quite possible that this particular set of jewels - particularly the engagement ring - was bequeathed to Prince Charles directly. NB It was recently revealed in the BRitish press that the Queen went to great lengths to prevent the Queen Mother's will from ever being revealed in public - so none of us in the Forum will probably live to know who the Queen Mother bequeathed the jewels to.

Old 01-24-2008, 03:36 PM
Royal Highness

I thought that the Queen Mother left all jewels to her daughter in a sovereign to sovereign exchange that would exempt the pieces from taxation.

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 01-24-2008, 04:54 PM
Serene Highness

That's what I thought too. I had always believed that (a) Charles was very close to his grandmother (more so that to his own mother) and (b) the Queen Mother highly disapproved of Camilla and any idea that Charles had about marrying her. So I would be suprised if the jewels actually went directly to Charles since he would have had to pay a duty on them and that, if they had, he would dishonor his grandmother's feelings about Camilla by letting her wear the jewels without his mother's consent. Like I said earlier, I don't think the queen was especially happy about the marriage, but if she had wanted to, she could have made it impossible for them to marry without taking away his place in the line of succession. For a variety of reasons, their wedding day was probably not a happy one for the queen and perhaps her stellar sense of propriety was lessened on the occasion, but she and Camilla seem to get along nowadays and that's all that matters.
Old 01-24-2008, 06:16 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Could she be CALLED Queen without being CROWNED as such - or am I just a dithering idiot who needs major revision on the subject of royalty?
She very well could be. No coronation is necessary to affirm her title. The wife of the King becomes the Queen immediately upon the death of the previous monarch.
Old 01-25-2008, 04:15 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
For a variety of reasons, their wedding day was probably not a happy one for the queen and perhaps her stellar sense of propriety was lessened on the occasion, but she and Camilla seem to get along nowadays and that's all that matters.
As all mothers, the queen had to learn that at some point her children are grown-ups who make their own decisions and their own faults. I found an interesting page about the documents that were exchanged by the involved bodies of the government when it came to the queen's wish to bestow the title of a prince of the UK on her husband (which had never been done before to a person not born into the British Royal family). I think after prince Charles and Camilla had decided to marry they informed the queen and she started the procedure to see how it could work when it comes to the constitution.

In any case Charles could have asked parliament for their agreement if the queen had decided to say no and if parliament did not agree, he could have gone to the European Court of human rights to have the Royal marriages Act changed so he could marry Camilla without loosing his place in the succession. I am convinced he did not want to do that but he could have done it. So he had quite some arguments against all the queen could say and somehow I doubt she said so much about this matter. She only took care IMHo that the procedure was conform with the laws and that was that.
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 01-25-2008, 02:24 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
That's what I thought too. I had always believed that (a) Charles was very close to his grandmother (more so that to his own mother) and (b) the Queen Mother highly disapproved of Camilla and any idea that Charles had about marrying her. So I would be suprised if the jewels actually went directly to Charles since he would have had to pay a duty on them and that, if they had, he would dishonor his grandmother's feelings about Camilla by letting her wear the jewels without his mother's consent. Like I said earlier, I don't think the queen was especially happy about the marriage, but if she had wanted to, she could have made it impossible for them to marry without taking away his place in the line of succession. For a variety of reasons, their wedding day was probably not a happy one for the queen and perhaps her stellar sense of propriety was lessened on the occasion, but she and Camilla seem to get along nowadays and that's all that matters.
If the Queen Mother was so anti Charles and Camilla as a couple why did she allows Prince Charles to entertain Camilla at Birkhall Lodge (her own property) during her lifetime. IMO I don't think we'll ever find out the QM's true opinion of the couple until William Shawcross's official biography of the QM gets published - if that ever happens of course! According to Richard Kay the text of the biography was handed to the Queen's private secretary for royal vetting and approval in the first week of September 2007. According to Penguin Publishers' website it was due for publication in October 2007. It hasn't been heard of since September and no new publication date has been given. Jonathan Dimbleby's 820page tome took less than 2 months to vet and we know that that had pieces edited out of it at Buckingham Palace's request, because Dimbleby admitted as much in 1994. So heaven knows what is being edited out of the QM biography during the 4 months its already been with the Queen.
Old 01-25-2008, 02:49 PM
Royal Highness

I´m sure the Queen Mother always wanted the best for her favourite grandson Charles. So she liked Diana as long as she thought she was good for Charles ( and the monarchy ) and she began to dislike her when she saw that Charles was very unhappy with her and Diana tried to damage the monarchy ( with her interviews etc. )
I´m also sure the Queen Mother had nothing against Camilla. I think she liked her and knows about her importance for Charles. But she had always her brother-in-law (Edward VIII ) and Wallis Simpson in her mind. And the worst word for her, i think, was abdication. So she always was afraid that Charles could one day marry the divorced Camilla and the result could be a abdication again.
Old 01-25-2008, 03:17 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Like I said earlier, I don't think the queen was especially happy about the marriage, but if she had wanted to, she could have made it impossible for them to marry without taking away his place in the line of succession. For a variety of reasons, their wedding day was probably not a happy one for the queen and perhaps her stellar sense of propriety was lessened on the occasion, but she and Camilla seem to get along nowadays and that's all that matters.
HM originally agreed to (and therefore supported the marriage), the use of Windsor for the civil ceremony. That doesn't sound like someone putting obstacles in the way. Camilla and Charles were probably a little nervous after the threats that had been made by the Diana circle but in the end the DC idiots didn't manage a big show and Charles and Camilla had a wonderful wedding.
HM was positively beaming, as she seems to have been ever since!

the QM supported Charles in every way that she could and I doubt we will every know the true amount of help she gave to Charles and Camilla. Charles and Camilla were stepping out in public together before the QM died, if she was so upset by this, she wouldn't have left Charles a brass razoo.
Old 01-25-2008, 05:08 PM
Super Moderator

Is the Queen even able to choose for herself whether or not to sanction a marriage, or is that done only "on advice"?
Old 01-25-2008, 11:29 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
HM originally agreed to (and therefore supported the marriage), the use of Windsor for the civil ceremony. That doesn't sound like someone putting obstacles in the way. Camilla and Charles were probably a little nervous after the threats that had been made by the Diana circle but in the end the DC idiots didn't manage a big show and Charles and Camilla had a wonderful wedding.
HM was positively beaming, as she seems to have been ever since!

the QM supported Charles in every way that she could and I doubt we will every know the true amount of help she gave to Charles and Camilla. Charles and Camilla were stepping out in public together before the QM died, if she was so upset by this, she wouldn't have left Charles a brass razoo.
I wasn't trying to insinuate that it was Camilla herself that HM didn't care for. Just the past sense of scandal that was created. The queen is nothing, if not, duty first. I think it probably really bothered her that her heir's wedding (second or not) was not celebrated in a larger fashion. After all, the bride is most likely the next queen and the current queen might have wanted a larger affair for the wedding of the next monarchs without the shadow that was cast over it.
Old 01-26-2008, 12:29 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
On that, we agree - but what about the religious aspects? And does the Archbishop of Canterbury get any say in it, if her ex WAS still living at the time of coronation?

I'm not trying to be difficult, I'm just a bit confused.
Yes. Edward VIII was King from the moment of his accession to the moment of his abdication, even though he was never crowned. She wouldn't just be called Queen, she would be Queen.

The Archbishop could conceivably refuse to crown Charles and/or Camilla, but considering the morals of some of the previous monarchs who have been crowned with no problems, I can't see it happening, and I have a feeling it might backfire fairly nastily on the Church if it was seen that the Church was putting its foot down about who is and who isn't suitable to be Head of State. We're way beyond the days when the Church was that powerful.
Old 01-26-2008, 09:52 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbenson View Post
Is the Queen even able to choose for herself whether or not to sanction a marriage, or is that done only "on advice"?
The Sovereign must take advice from The Prime Minister if the marriage is considered to be of importance to the State (i.e. the heir to the throne, his/her children, controversial with the public).

For marriages of other family members or distant relatives, it is not necessary.
Old 01-29-2008, 11:45 AM
Heir Apparent

I just found this interesting poll about the question if Camilla should become queen - with long term results:

Ipsos MORI: Monarchy Trends

While the figures are still not very pleasant, the tendency is!
Old 01-29-2008, 02:48 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo of Palatine View Post
I just found this interesting poll about the question if Camilla should become queen - with long term results:

Ipsos MORI: Monarchy Trends

While the figures are still not very pleasant, the tendency is!
Well no one ever said convincing people Camilla should be Queen was a quick weekend project. Sigh
Still your right, the numbers are looking up. And that is the important thing.
Old 01-29-2008, 05:43 PM

See, I find the asking people pretty pointless as they've got no say in it anyway. She will be Queen and there's nothing anyone can do about it except the Almighty. Why bother with these useless polls?
Old 01-29-2008, 06:23 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I find the asking people pretty pointless as they've got no say in it anyway.
If we, the people, have no part to play, then there would have been no need to propose an alternative now would there...

Directly? It is a decision which is to be made within the corridors of power and it is there the final word is said.

Indirectly? Abolsutely the people have a say. By the time Charles is King and if no greater majority had warmed to the idea, then The Prime Minister of the day, amongst others, would surely not neglect the show of public feeling. Not reading the public mood can be a very precarious business, as they well know.

If the greater majorty support Camilla as Queen Consort then full steam ahead. If in the event they do not, then there's really nothing standing in the way of creating her Princess Consort. I would be certain the appropriate executive papers would be drawn up, and passed, quite quickly.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 01-29-2008, 06:39 PM

But thats the point of monarchy - you get what you get and you don't get a say. If you want a say, you ditch the crown and get a President in where you can have a say. Anyone who thinks the monarchy is governed by committee is always going to be disappointed.
Old 01-29-2008, 06:43 PM
Heir Presumptive

The monarchy must have the consent of the people to survive. To ignore the wishes of the public is to deestablish it altogether and have a republic instead.

If the majority of Britons remain opposed, Parliament will act to remove Camilla's right to be HM The Queen, allowing Charles to issue letters patent creating her HRH The Princess Consort instead.
Old 01-29-2008, 06:45 PM
Heir Presumptive

Camilla will be Queen Camilla. Charles will never settle for anything less. The public will only have any say in the issue if the public outcry and opinions are so strong that the future of the monarchy is in jeopardy.
When the current Queen dies and Charles ascends the throne the country will be in deep mourning and whatever he wants he will get.

Tags
camilla, duchess of cornwall, princess consort, queen consort, styles and titles