The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 02:59 PM
Royal Highness

Oh My Jo! You've opened up a whole other discussion! Camilla would not just be the "Princess Consort" she would actually be Princess Camilla in her own right--isn't that interesting? I still vastly prefer the title of Queen Camilla--I wonder which one the Diana Circle would prefer? PRincess Camilla or Queen Camilla? That is an interesting topic of debate!

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 01-23-2008, 03:09 PM

The only thing to please the Diana Circle would be compulsory corpse worship. May we all fall on God's mercy if they're to become the voice of the majority. Morons.

Old 01-23-2008, 03:13 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan View Post
The only thing to please the Diana Circle would be compulsory corpse worship. May we all fall on God's mercy if they're to become the voice of the majority. Morons.
BeatrixFan, eloquent, as usual. I commend you--and yes, they are morons

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 01-23-2008, 03:31 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcbcode99 View Post
Oh My Jo! You've opened up a whole other discussion! Camilla would not just be the "Princess Consort" she would actually be Princess Camilla in her own right--isn't that interesting? I still vastly prefer the title of Queen Camilla--I wonder which one the Diana Circle would prefer? PRincess Camilla or Queen Camilla? That is an interesting topic of debate!
I think part of the problem has arisen because the title 'Prince of Wales' was invested on Prince Charles by the Queen. So the title of 'Princess of Wales' is also in the hands of the Queen. If she doesn't want to invest Camilla with the title (and her childish behaviour towards Camilla's family at her marriage suggests that she doesn't approve of it and her) then Camilla won't receive the title. Whereas the title 'Duke of Cornwall' is Prince Charles's by birth. He was Duke of Cornwall the second that his mother became Queen and therefore his wife is automatically the 'Duchess of Cornwall', whatever the Queen thinks of it.
Old 01-23-2008, 05:05 PM
Royal Highness

Huh? I'm confused (something often heard from me) but I thought that upon marriage Camilla was entitled to all of his titles but choose the Duchess of Cornwall title because the PoW was so closely identified with Diana (a smart move, in my opinion--she has made the DoC title her own whereas there would have always been comparisions had she choose the PoW title). Her full style is Her Royal Highness, The Princess Charles Philip Arthur George, Princess of Wales and Countess of Chester, Duchess of Cornwall, Duchess of Rothesay, Countess of Carrick, Baroness of Renfrew, Lady of the Isles, Princess of Scotland. I don't think it is a question of investing Camilla with the title--it was hers upon marriage. I've not read anything that states otherwise--
and, I don't think Charles would have married Camilla if the Queen didn't give approval--and Camilla is wearing the Queen Mum's jewels--which were left to the Queen and the Queen alone. Someone must like Camilla to be handing out all the bling.

Old 01-23-2008, 05:17 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaFay View Post
If she doesn't want to invest Camilla with the title (and her childish behaviour towards Camilla's family at her marriage suggests that she doesn't approve of it and her) then Camilla won't receive the title.
What was the childish behavior?
Old 01-23-2008, 05:20 PM

I would also point out BellaFay that Camilla IS the Princess of Wales. It's nothing to do with the Queen.
Old 01-23-2008, 05:23 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
I would also point out BellaFay that Camilla IS the Princess of Wales. It's nothing to do with the Queen.
Hear Hear! Some day I think I will just start refering to her as the PoW and see the reactions.

Old 01-23-2008, 05:26 PM

Oh I do. And nobody dares pull me up on it. They know they shall get a thick ear if they do.
Old 01-23-2008, 05:35 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimebear View Post
What was the childish behavior?
I think the behaviour being referred to is her nonattendance at the Prince of Wales's wedding, which was apparently taken to mean that she disapproved. Since the wedding was originally going to take place at Windsor Castle, when presumably HM would have shown up, I think her absence has other reasons than disapproving of the marriage.
Old 01-23-2008, 05:41 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaFay View Post
I think part of the problem has arisen because the title 'Prince of Wales' was invested on Prince Charles by the Queen. So the title of 'Princess of Wales' is also in the hands of the Queen.
Only to the extent that she can choose to create her eldest son Prince of Wales or choose not to. Since she's chosen to, the Princess of Wales title automatically becomes part of the list of titles carried by the Prince of Wales's wife from the moment of his marriage. Camilla is choosing to use a title that doesn't have such close associations with Diana as the Princess of Wales title, but she's still the Princess of Wales.
Old 01-23-2008, 05:46 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Oh I do. And nobody dares pull me up on it. They know they shall get a thick ear if they do.
Old 01-23-2008, 06:54 PM
Commoner

Would she actually be crowned Queen as long as Andrew Parker-Bowles is still living? Isn't this some sort of CoE nightmare - or quagmire?

I don't care what she's called, really (well, I do but I'm not dragging that all out again) - but as long as APB is alive, that seems to cause a problem.

Long live the Queen! Charles may have one heck of a wait, anyway, if the longevity of his grandmother is indicative of anything - and the Queen is certainly in better health than her sister was. All of this may be moot for more reasons than one!
Old 01-23-2008, 07:03 PM

APB being alive causes no problem. Ancient history. Everyones moved on. He has no bearing on her life now or in the future.
Old 01-23-2008, 07:45 PM

Actually, APB is an interesting question. Because, wasn't there a problem when Diana was still alive? Some people said Charles couldn't remarry & be divorced king is the first wife was still living? Wouldn't the same problem apply for (Queen?) Camilla?

If the answer is negative, just say so, a simple 'no'. No insults, no sarcasm, please. I'm just curious. If it's a stupid question, so be it.
Old 01-23-2008, 08:09 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasiraghiTrio View Post
Actually, APB is an interesting question. Because, wasn't there a problem when Diana was still alive? Some people said Charles couldn't remarry & be divorced king is the first wife was still living? Wouldn't the same problem apply for (Queen?) Camilla?

If the answer is negative, just say so, a simple 'no'. No insults, no sarcasm, please. I'm just curious. If it's a stupid question, so be it.
I have actually wondered the same thing , isn't that why it says on her section of the offical Royal website website that she is expected to be known as HRH the Princess Consort?

The Royal Family > TRH The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall > Background

I should imagine that this was all thrashed out before Charles and Camilla married (not sure though)
Old 01-23-2008, 09:25 PM
Imperial Majesty

I don't see why Andrew Parker-Bowles's existence should make a difference to what Camilla is called when Charles becomes King. If the existence of an ex-husband wasn't enough to stop them getting married, I don't see why it should make a difference to her status on Charles's accession.
Old 01-24-2008, 01:24 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasiraghiTrio View Post
Some people said Charles couldn't remarry & be divorced king is the first wife was still living?
They were wrong. There is no law preventing the accession to the throne of a King who has been remarried while the first wife is still alive.
Old 01-24-2008, 11:29 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
I don't see why Andrew Parker-Bowles's existence should make a difference to what Camilla is called when Charles becomes King. If the existence of an ex-husband wasn't enough to stop them getting married, I don't see why it should make a difference to her status on Charles's accession.
On that, we agree - but what about the religious aspects? And does the Archbishop of Canterbury get any say in it, if her ex WAS still living at the time of coronation?

Could she be CALLED Queen without being CROWNED as such - or am I just a dithering idiot who needs major revision on the subject of royalty?

I'm not trying to be difficult, I'm just a bit confused.
Old 01-24-2008, 02:34 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
I think the behaviour being referred to is her nonattendance at the Prince of Wales's wedding, which was apparently taken to mean that she disapproved. Since the wedding was originally going to take place at Windsor Castle, when presumably HM would have shown up, I think her absence has other reasons than disapproving of the marriage.
Ah. I had thought that her absence was a result of the venue, not the marriage. After all she came to the service at the chapel and apparently gave them a lovely reception. I dont think she was particularly pleased with her son's choice (no arrows from the Camilla fans please) for reasons solely having to do with the bad publicity their pre-marriage relationship gave the royal family.

But, the proof is in the pudding, or in this case, the jewels. I think Camilla's true acceptance came with the dazzling jewels she has been sporting as of late. Camilla would wear the Delhi Durbar and the Boucheron Honeycomb tiaras only over Her Majesty's dead body if there was real animosity. Camilla will most assuredly take the title of Queen upon Charles' ascension after several years of a successful marriage when there is less likely to be public anger towards it.

Tags
camilla, duchess of cornwall, princess consort, queen consort, styles and titles