The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 03:48 PM
Aristocracy

So if future princes of Wales should devote so much of their time to the principality, should Prince Andrew be hanging out in York? Should Edward and Sophie set up shop in Wessex? Should Philip have a pied-de-terre in Edinburgh? How aften are the Gloucesters and Kents in those corners of the kingdom?

Old 05-31-2007, 07:36 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by banda_windsor
yes she is Princess of Wales. To honor Diana, she chose to be known as the Duchess of Cornwall. But i do hope she'll be the Queen not Princess Consort.
I don't think it was done to honour Diana. It was done based on the reality that the public would not accept Camilla being styled as Princess of Wales and the desire to be sensitive to William and Harry's feelings regarding their mother.

Camilla will most certainly be Queen when the time comes. There is nothing in the law or recent precedent for her to be anything else as the wife of The King.

Old 05-31-2007, 08:02 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Well the Queen got criticized for releasing a statement during the World Cup that supported England but not Australia and several of our friends down under were not impressed.

So I think the problem goes back further than poor William.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissy57
I suspect that for William to be created Prince of Wales there would need to be an undertaking that he would live for part of the year in Wales and openly support things Welsh.

Remember the criticism he received some months ago for supporting England in a rugby match against England when he is the Patron, or something, of the Welsh Rugby Union. At least Anne, who has the same position in Scotland openly supports Scotland in these things.
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 05-31-2007, 08:56 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by branchg
I don't think it was done to honour Diana. It was done based on the reality that the public would not accept Camilla being styled as Princess of Wales and the desire to be sensitive to William and Harry's feelings regarding their mother.

Camilla will most certainly be Queen when the time comes. There is nothing in the law or recent precedent for her to be anything else as the wife of The King.
I agree with you about the reasons it was done.

Though she is known as The Duchess of Cornwall, Camilla is still also The Princess of Wales; that is a fact about which there can be no argument. Camilla does not have inferior titles to those which Diana had when she was Charles' wife, it's just that she is known as The Duchess of Cornwall, not by her main title.

I think this has actually had some positive consequences. Her husband gets his income from the Duchy of Cornwall, and by using the title she gives something back to Cornwall by giving it and its people good publicity around the world. Further, in the short term, from the point of view of current events rather than history, Camilla has made the title her own; it has given her an identity of her own which people associate with her and no-one else, and the opportunity to show her personality and prove herself. And I think The Duchess of Cornwall is doing very well.

Once Charles is King his wife will be his Queen Consort. There is no other title for a King's wife to use, and I doubt Charles would initiate or sign off on legislation depriving his beloved wife of her rightful title.

History will record the facts without the emotion, and put things in perspective in the wider scheme of things. Charles' marriage to Diana and the birth of the future King William and his brother will be recorded, as will Charles' divorce and Diana's death and his remarriage. But by then Charles' main claim to fame will be that he was a King of England, etc., and Camilla will have been his one and only Queen.
Old 05-31-2007, 09:07 PM
Heir Presumptive

Oh, what a thoughtful post Roslyn. But I do agree that Camilla will be Queen Consort one day, I'am just wondering how long Clarence House is going to keep telling the press & public that Camilla is going to be HRH The Princess Consort.
Old 05-31-2007, 09:22 PM
Royal Highness

Location: Up the street,hang a left,3rd house from the corner, United States
Question: Who has to initiate the legislature? I just can't see the BRF doing so.
Old 05-31-2007, 09:26 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel
Well the Queen got criticized for releasing a statement during the World Cup that supported England but not Australia and several of our friends down under were not impressed.
And rightly so
Old 05-31-2007, 09:51 PM
Heir Presumptive

Just a quick question, and I apologize if this is stupid, but why were some Australians upset that the Queen issued a statement supporting England? I know that she's the head of the Commonwealth and that Australia is part of the Commonwealth, but she was born and raised in England....one would think she'd support them, right?
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 05-31-2007, 09:54 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Because she's also Queen of Australia and Queen of Canada.
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 05-31-2007, 10:11 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerry
Question: Who has to initiate the legislature? I just can't see the BRF doing so.
It would more than likely be the monarch privately with his Prime Minister, who would introduce it in the House of Commons.
Old 05-31-2007, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Morphine
Just a quick question, and I apologize if this is stupid, but why were some Australians upset that the Queen issued a statement supporting England? I know that she's the head of the Commonwealth and that Australia is part of the Commonwealth, but she was born and raised in England....one would think she'd support them, right?
I agree 100% it is natural for her to support England, but I think the Commonwealth has a lot of expectations from her since she has made it a high priority throughout her reign to represent them, to not forget them. She has usually taken her Commonwealth "duty" very seriously. It was a tough position for her to be in, however. I don't envy her at all. I can't imagine being in such a no-win situation. If she had supported Australia, would England have been upset? Maybe the better thing for her to do was not to say anything about it?? I don't know. That is tough.
Old 05-31-2007, 10:35 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbenson
It would more than likely be the monarch privately with his Prime Minister, who would introduce it in the House of Commons.
No....the Sovereign reigns, but does not rule. The Prime Minister would consult with the Cabinet and take soundings in the Commons. If a majority were in favor of legislation, then The King would be so advised.
Old 05-31-2007, 10:43 PM
Royal Highness

Location: Up the street,hang a left,3rd house from the corner, United States
So in other words the legislature has not been brought before the Prime Minister for action, right? So this is something that might not ever happen? The Prime Minister would have to decide if he wants to push the issue or not.
Old 05-31-2007, 11:42 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
No....the Sovereign reigns, but does not rule. The Prime Minister would consult with the Cabinet and take soundings in the Commons. If a majority were in favor of legislation, then The King would be so advised.
I didn't say the sovereign would order the Prime Minister to do it, but would more than likely tell the PM that it was the course of action the family would like taken, and could he please go see if it can be done?
Old 06-01-2007, 04:56 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by btsnyder
So if future princes of Wales should devote so much of their time to the principality, should Prince Andrew be hanging out in York? Should Edward and Sophie set up shop in Wessex? Should Philip have a pied-de-terre in Edinburgh? How aften are the Gloucesters and Kents in those corners of the kingdom?
It's not as simple as that. Wales is a country, the other places are not and because
Wales is a country the prince of Wales should spend more time there.
Old 06-01-2007, 08:09 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerry
So in other words the legislature has not been brought before the Prime Minister for action, right? So this is something that might not ever happen? The Prime Minister would have to decide if he wants to push the issue or not.
That's correct. The issue was what Camilla would be styled as upon marriage to Prince Charles. Tony Blair made it clear she legally shared equal rank and the titles of her husband, but had chosen to be known as The Duchess of Cornwall (obviously with the consent of The Queen as fount of honour).

The issue of her future title and style would be considered when the time comes, but her preference was to be known as The Princess Consort, rather than Queen. Whether a future PM and Parliament will agree to this precedent is another matter altogether.
Old 06-01-2007, 08:13 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbenson
I didn't say the sovereign would order the Prime Minister to do it, but would more than likely tell the PM that it was the course of action the family would like taken, and could he please go see if it can be done?
I highly doubt Charles would ask the Prime Minister to consider removing his wife's legal right to hold precedence and title as Queen. She is automatically Queen the moment he becomes The Sovereign and any variation is purely a political matter for Parliament, not the Crown.
Old 06-01-2007, 09:28 AM
Administrator

Quote:
I highly doubt Charles would ask the Prime Minister to consider removing his wife's legal right to hold precedence and title as Queen.
It would certainly be novel if one of the new King's first acts was to focus attention on his wife's status by requesting she be officially and humiliatingly downgraded!
I can't see Charles equating his "darling Camilla" with the hapless Queen Caroline.
Old 06-01-2007, 10:32 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasiraghiTrio
I agree 100% it is natural for her to support England, but I think the Commonwealth has a lot of expectations from her since she has made it a high priority throughout her reign to represent them, to not forget them. She has usually taken her Commonwealth "duty" very seriously. It was a tough position for her to be in, however. I don't envy her at all. I can't imagine being in such a no-win situation. If she had supported Australia, would England have been upset? Maybe the better thing for her to do was not to say anything about it?? I don't know. That is tough.
Of course support her homeland, but there's no reason as to why the Queen couldn't have supported both, or all teams which retain her as monarch. Sending a viedo message (as has been done for various other occasions) would not have been too much to ask of HM the Queen of Australia

But, back to Camilla...
Old 06-01-2007, 10:46 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale
Of course support her homeland, but there's no reason as to why the Queen couldn't have supported both, or all teams which retain her as monarch. Sending a viedo message (as has been done for various other occasions) would not have been too much to ask of HM the Queen of Australia
I fully expect her to give her main support to her homeland, but a simple message of good wishes and encouragement to the teams of all the countries of which she is Queen would have been nice.

I wonder whether she would have sent the message if England had been competing against Scotland or Wales or Northern Ireland?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale
But, back to Camilla...

Tags
camilla, duchess of cornwall, princess consort, queen consort, styles and titles