The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 05:29 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon
It's not about the personal life of the Royals, its about the work they do. And traditions. The Duchess of Cornwall does an excellent job as the Prince of Wales' wife. And in this case we are talking about tradition that exists for hundreds, if not thousands, of years.
Very well said Avalon!

Old 05-22-2007, 05:29 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empress
Well, yes, but it is the thought, I believe, that since Camilla commited adultery that she is not worthy of the style of Queen.
The monarchy is a constitutional system in which the head of state is 'delivered' via the principle of hereditary succession, no more, no less. In Britain this head of state is called King. And his female consort is known as the Queen. No more, no less.

Having a happy marriage or not, being faithful or not, is in fact of no any importance for this. And, extending your way of thinking: should a wife to a royal Duke also be denied the title when there is adultery in the game? Should Diana have lost her style 'Princess of Wales' because of her adulteries?

Old 05-22-2007, 07:36 PM

Goodness me, if adultery was a ban on people holding the title of Queen Consort then we'd have lost quite a few.

Old 05-22-2007, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon
If Charles and Diana decided not to finalize their divorce in 1997 and if Diana were alive, would she be eligible to be Queen, even though she has commited adulteries herself? And by that logic, Charles is not eligible to be King as well (actually, around 99% of the British Kings would not be)

Imho, it's not about the personal life of the Royals, its about the work they do. And traditions. The Duchess of Cornwall does an excellent job as the Prince of Wales' wife. And in this case we are talking about tradition that exists for hundreds, if not thousands, of years.
Just one correction: The ink of the divorce of Charles and Diana was dry in 1996. I don't remember the month or day but I remember that when Diana died it was said to have been about one year since she lost her HRH title.

About adultery and Queens, I doubt the Queen Mother was ever unfaithful; I doubt Queen Mary was ever unfaithful; I strongly doubt Queen Victoria ever loved any except Prince Albert, although there are rumors about that servant, John Browne? But just that: rumors. I think the past is the past. The bottom line is that now Camilla is the wife of the Prince of Wales. That alone makes her eligible to be Princess of Wales, and when he is King, she is rightly to be his Queen. End of story.
Old 05-22-2007, 10:22 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon
In whose opinion, most of the people on these forums are not British. As I am sure you know, the media 'select' the type of person to ask in surveys, (either from their dress, colour of skin, age, etc).
Very well said. [/font]

So true and I know this is a little off topic, but, I thought I read somewhere that the British people themselves don't think it will be popular reign and that it will be a lead in for anti-monarchists in the government to get rid of it, because of Charles' both spoken-out and letters to government officials regarding health care, environment, architectural projects and others.

Back to topic: I just wish that these polls, discussion and the like would just go away and people accept that Camilla will be Queen. I realize that the prime minister office and parliament need to approach it in such a 'sensitive' way for Diana followers, but the money and time being spent on such a trivial issue could be spent wisely elsewhere. She should be Queen. She's the wife of a future King! If I had the money, I bet there are those in the government who wish the Charles will die before coming to the throne, so this issue will go away.
Old 05-22-2007, 10:23 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan
Goodness me, if adultery was a ban on people holding the title of Queen Consort then we'd have lost quite a few.
Besides, it took three to tango! (Of course, I don't know who 'tangoed' first--Diana or Charles).
Old 05-22-2007, 11:19 PM
Heir Presumptive

Charles doesn't need approval from the newspapers to make his wife Queen. She WILL be Queen automatically unless Parliament passes legislation specifically removing her rank and title, which will never happen.

Camilla will be crowned Queen Consort if and when her husband becomes King. The monarchy has to be above political nonsense.
Old 05-23-2007, 12:01 AM
Courtier

David Cameron said that he would support the idea of Queen Camilla but I haven't heard about Gordon Brown's opinion. I suppose all these politicans will want to wait and see. I also have some concerns about Prince Charles's outspoken habits which I think may always make him as a target.

Mori polls shows that the proportion of refusing the idea of "Queen Camilla" has dropped dramatically after her marriage to Prince Charles. We may just wait and see. It is probably people will accept the new king and his queen. Peole are getting used to the fact of Camilla being Charles' wife, aren't they/
Old 05-23-2007, 12:19 AM
Imperial Majesty

And they'd just got used to the fact of Kate being William's wife too! Maybe the instability there will make people more appreciative of the stable relationship that Charles and Camilla have.
Old 05-23-2007, 12:47 AM
Heir Presumptive

If Camilla is crowned as Queen Consort when Charles is coronated, is there going to be protesting of it to some degree? I know there are people who are absolutely dead-set against her carrying that title and if there's nothing leading up to the coronation stating how she'll be styled, I get the feeling they will be peeved.
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 05-23-2007, 02:17 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Morphine
If Camilla is crowned as Queen Consort when Charles is coronated, is there going to be protesting of it to some degree? I know there are people who are absolutely dead-set against her carrying that title and if there's nothing leading up to the coronation stating how she'll be styled, I get the feeling they will be peeved.
Well there hardly were protests during the wedding day, and also until now the Duchess has a quite goodnatured, welcoming and well-willing reception in every place she appears.
So I doubt there will be any protest during the Coronation ceremony.
Old 05-23-2007, 03:19 AM
Majesty

There will probably be some Diana fanatics who have placards etc but they will overwhelmingly be outnumbered by the people who wish to cheer on their new King and Queen on that wonderful day. Personally I hope to be there at that day in the future.
Old 05-23-2007, 04:02 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissy57
There will probably be some Diana fanatics who have placards etc but they will overwhelmingly be outnumbered by the people who wish to cheer on their new King and Queen on that wonderful day. Personally I hope to be there at that day in the future.
I also think that the grief over queen Elizabeth will be so heartily felt that her son will be most welcome to the throne and that together with his wife as this means the following of traditions which is helpful while mourning. And all this adultery talk - it's been so long ago already...
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 05-23-2007, 04:42 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Morphine
Before the wedding, 100's of Diana fans said (in the various newspaper forums) that they would be there to disrupt the wedding. There were a few (possibly 10), the only two I remember were Tatchell (furious because Charles could marry twice but he couldn't marry at all) and a vicar whose name escapes me, the others were drowned out and pushed aside by well wishers.
Old 05-23-2007, 05:13 AM
Aristocracy

I have a question, If Camila become Queen Consort, when Charles passed away someday, and William inherits the throne, does Camila automatically become the Queen Mother or not? Well, considering that she's not the birth mother of the king..

I do hope that Camila will be crowned as Queen Consort.
Old 05-23-2007, 05:27 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by banda_windsor
I have a question, If Camila become Queen Consort, when Charles passed away someday, and William inherits the throne, does Camila automatically become the Queen Mother or not? Well, considering that she's not the birth mother of the king..

I do hope that Camila will be crowned as Queen Consort.

As she isn't the mother of the new monarch she wouldn't be the Queen Mother but simply the Dowager Queen or Queen Camilla.
Old 05-23-2007, 05:29 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo of Palatine
I also think that the grief over queen Elizabeth will be so heartily felt that her son will be most welcome to the throne and that together with his wife as this means the following of traditions which is helpful while mourning. And all this adultery talk - it's been so long ago already...

By the time of the coronation however a year could have passed and with it some of the grief, certainly among the majority of the people. By then there may be calls for the legislation to deny her the title but I suspect not. She is a fine lady and I, for one, will be very happy to call her Your Majesty and have her as my Queen Consort - to me she is everything a Queen Consort should be, like the Queen Mum, Queen Mary and Queen Alexandra - a strength and support for the man who would be King.
Old 05-23-2007, 07:49 AM
Royal Highness

Location: Up the street,hang a left,3rd house from the corner, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon
Before the wedding, 100's of Diana fans said (in the various newspaper forums) that they would be there to disrupt the wedding. There were a few (possibly 10), the only two I remember were Tatchell (furious because Charles could marry twice but he couldn't marry at all) and a vicar whose name escapes me, the others were drowned out and pushed aside by well wishers.
How embarassing for the hecklers. That is just so childish. What were they hoping to accomplish?, to stop the wedding? Camilla still became Charles' princess. Diana had moved on with her life and seemed quite happy before her tragic death. I say to heck with them all!

Long live the future King Charles and Queen Camilla!
Old 05-23-2007, 07:56 AM
Heir Apparent

Hey - not saying that I agree with my post. I was just playing the devils advocate and stating a view that seems to be held by some. Unfortunately, Charles is not being held accountable for the behavious, but his wife is. It's all or none I think it should be. And in any case, I think that she has probably paid her dues.
Old 05-23-2007, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasiraghiTrio
Just one correction: The ink of the divorce of Charles and Diana was dry in 1996. I don't remember the month or day but I remember that when Diana died it was said to have been about one year since she lost her HRH title.

About adultery and Queens, I doubt the Queen Mother was ever unfaithful; I doubt Queen Mary was ever unfaithful; I strongly doubt Queen Victoria ever loved any except Prince Albert, although there are rumors about that servant, John Browne? But just that: rumors. I think the past is the past. The bottom line is that now Camilla is the wife of the Prince of Wales. That alone makes her eligible to be Princess of Wales, and when he is King, she is rightly to be his Queen. End of story.

Hi

You are quite correct - Camilla automatically became Princess of Wales on her marriage to Charles but has declined to use the title because of the obvious comparisons that would be made, instead she made it known that she wished to use the style of Duchess of Cornwall as Charles is the Duke of Cornwall.

When and if Charles becomes King, Camilla will automatically be Queen because the present Constitution doesn't allow for anything else.

Tags
camilla, duchess of cornwall, princess consort, queen consort, styles and titles