The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #221  
Old 05-20-2007, 01:31 PM
sirhon11234's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 2,464
Quote:
A hated Mayor as Giuliani can suddenly turn into 'America's Mayor'.
You mean President, well you are right there are many possibilites for the outcome of Charles's future reign as King.
__________________

__________________
"I think the biggest disease the world suffers from in this day and age is the disease of people feeling unloved."
Diana, the Princess of Wales
  #222  
Old 05-20-2007, 02:01 PM
Sister Morphine's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: North Carolina, United States
Posts: 2,725
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhon11234
You mean President, well you are right there are many possibilites for the outcome of Charles's future reign as King.

No, they meant "America's Mayor". Rudy Giuiliani wasn't that well thought-of prior to 9/11. He cleaned up NYC and was a lot tougher on street crime than his predecessors, but it wasn't until after 9/11 and people saw how he responded to it (the only way he really could), that people around the country took to him like they did and why there's a lot of people who think he could be the one to beat Hilary next year.
__________________

__________________
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
  #223  
Old 05-20-2007, 02:46 PM
ysbel's Avatar
Heir Apparent
TRF Author
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 5,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by milla Ca
Whether the reign of the next King will be a popular one or not you can form an opionen AFTER his reign but not NOW.
I think people can form a prediction of whether Charles' reign will be popular. That is speculation but pretty normal.

We won't know of course how popular the reign will be until after its over and that will be awhile from now.

And others have been right, popular princes have made unpopular Kings; as well as unpopular princes making popular Kings.
__________________
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
  #224  
Old 05-20-2007, 03:13 PM
Skydragon's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: London and Highlands, United Kingdom
Posts: 10,943
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRH Kimetha
As I see it from what I've read on both the forum and in the papers, King Charles' reign will not be a popular one at that,
In whose opinion, most of the people on these forums are not British. As I am sure you know, the media 'select' the type of person to ask in surveys, (either from their dress, colour of skin, age, etc).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henri M
...Don't underestimate the power of the Crown. In the emotion after the death of Queen Elizabeth II, the people will initially rally around the new King. They will feel with his happiness when he helds his first grandchild in his arms. The old King, weary of mild majesty, can become a deeply beloved Sovereign...
Very well said.
__________________
  #225  
Old 05-20-2007, 04:34 PM
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: ***, United States
Posts: 16,897
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon
In whose opinion, most of the people on these forums are not British. As I am sure you know, the media 'select' the type of person to ask in surveys, (either from their dress, colour of skin, age, etc).
Non-British members of this forum are entitled to express their opinions too, you know. As you said, a media organisation wanting a particular answer to a poll will know how to get it. However, there's still a significant number of people who believe that William should become king after the present reign is over, regardless of whether Charles is still alive, and that does give a clue that Charles isn't as popular as he might be. Mind you, with all the publicity of the William-Kate breakup and the photos of the nightclubbing, the public perception of William as the great saviour of the monarchy might be on less firm ground than it was.
__________________
  #226  
Old 05-20-2007, 05:25 PM
Sister Morphine's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: North Carolina, United States
Posts: 2,725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth
Non-British members of this forum are entitled to express their opinions too, you know. As you said, a media organisation wanting a particular answer to a poll will know how to get it. However, there's still a significant number of people who believe that William should become king after the present reign is over, regardless of whether Charles is still alive, and that does give a clue that Charles isn't as popular as he might be. Mind you, with all the publicity of the William-Kate breakup and the photos of the nightclubbing, the public perception of William as the great saviour of the monarchy might be on less firm ground than it was.

I think that whole "savior of the monarchy" tag was applied after his mother's death and there was a huge swell of grief and sympathy for both him and his brother. After the divorces and the other such problems, people looked to him as a member of the younger generation of royals to set a tone for the family when he got older, married and eventually became King. People should have known that when people grow up, they make mistakes (all the nightclubbing, photos of drunken boob-grasping) and they have to learn from them. That doesn't mean he can't be an influential person as King, but they should ease up on that a bit.
__________________
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
  #227  
Old 05-21-2007, 01:02 AM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 589
Yes, Prince Charles and Camilla and their aides still have much work to increase their acceptance of course. People have held very high expectations even some unrealistic expectations about royals unfortunately. Those people just forget that Charles used to be the white hope of the monarchy and William may face similar difficulties or more difficulties than his father does. Time will tell and we just wait and see.
__________________
  #228  
Old 05-21-2007, 04:24 AM
Skydragon's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: London and Highlands, United Kingdom
Posts: 10,943
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth
Non-British members of this forum are entitled to express their opinions too, you know.
I think you may have misunderstood my point, which was that although HRH Kimetha may have seen and read a variety of opinions on this forum and in the media, when it comes down to it, it will only be the British (whether they are in Britain, Australia, NZ, Canada etc) whose opinion and judgement will count.
Quote:
...there's still a significant number of people who believe that William should become king after the present reign is over, regardless of whether Charles is still alive, and that does give a clue that Charles isn't as popular as he might be. Mind you, with all the publicity of the William-Kate breakup and the photos of the nightclubbing, the public perception of William as the great saviour of the monarchy might be on less firm ground than it was.
General opinion is already turning to Charles & Camilla here in the UK. The crowds that now greet them are growing, more causes are asking Camilla to become their patron and all this after only 2 years!

As you say, William lost many 'fans' over the media's reason for the breakup!
__________________
  #229  
Old 05-21-2007, 05:40 AM
Iluvbertie's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Bathurst, Australia
Posts: 8,443
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Morphine
I think that whole "savior of the monarchy" tag was applied after his mother's death and there was a huge swell of grief and sympathy for both him and his brother. After the divorces and the other such problems, people looked to him as a member of the younger generation of royals to set a tone for the family when he got older, married and eventually became King. People should have known that when people grow up, they make mistakes (all the nightclubbing, photos of drunken boob-grasping) and they have to learn from them. That doesn't mean he can't be an influential person as King, but they should ease up on that a bit.

IIRC The Time frontpage asking if William was the 'savious of the monarchy' came out when he was 12, shortly after the separation and before either the divorce or death.
__________________
  #230  
Old 05-21-2007, 01:53 PM
milla Ca's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Hannover, Germany
Posts: 1,515
Charles reportedly making a bid for Queen Camilla

Since she wed her Prince over two years ago, the Duchess of Cornwall has taken her royal duties with aplomb and has succeeded in gaining the respect, and gradually the affection of the British people.

Charles reportedly making a bid for 'Queen Camilla'
__________________
´We will all have to account for our actions to our children and grand-children, and if we don´t get this right, how will they ever forgive us?´
Prince Charles in a speech, 6th December 2006
  #231  
Old 05-21-2007, 02:05 PM
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: ***, United States
Posts: 16,897
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon
I think you may have misunderstood my point, which was that although HRH Kimetha may have seen and read a variety of opinions on this forum and in the media, when it comes down to it, it will only be the British (whether they are in Britain, Australia, NZ, Canada etc) whose opinion and judgement will count.
Depends what you mean about how it'll count. I don't see public opinion, in Britain or anywhere else, overriding the succession laws. Even if William is far more popular than Charles, Charles will succeed his mother.

Quote:
General opinion is already turning to Charles & Camilla here in the UK. The crowds that now greet them are growing, more causes are asking Camilla to become their patron and all this after only 2 years!

As you say, William lost many 'fans' over the media's reason for the breakup!
I'd gathered that that was the case; however, I don't know that relative popularity is that big a factor. If it were, we might as well just give up on monarchy and go with an elected head of state - and I'd really hate to see that happen.
__________________
  #232  
Old 05-21-2007, 02:35 PM
Skydragon's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: London and Highlands, United Kingdom
Posts: 10,943
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth
Depends what you mean about how it'll count. I don't see public opinion, in Britain or anywhere else, overriding the succession laws. Even if William is far more popular than Charles, Charles will succeed his mother.
The majority of posters on this forum seem to be American, therefore it would, IMO, be hard to base the opinion that Charles reign will not be popular on views posted on this forum.
Quote:
I don't know that relative popularity is that big a factor. If it were, we might as well just give up on monarchy and go with an elected head of state - and I'd really hate to see that happen.
That was a reply to Charles not being popular, if after 2 years they have managed to change some of their subjects minds, then give it another 2 and they will be riding higher still.
__________________
  #233  
Old 05-21-2007, 02:45 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Posts: 254
The succession is not popularity contest - although from the media you would think it was!

Many people were not happy with the thought of Edward, Prince of Wales, taking over from Victoria. However, during his 9 year reign, he became very popular bringing something different to the job.

George V had only become heir as an adult, when his older brother died. He had been in the Navy since little more than a child, and was very reserved and shy. However, he and his Queen (fomerly Princess Mary of Teck) were much beloved during a reign of 35 years.

However, Edward VIII, who had been a very popular Prince of Wales, caused great concern during his less than one year reign. Who knows, if he had agreed to give up Wallis Simpson, he may have continued as Monarch for many years and become popular again.

There was great concern when Edward's brother succeeded him as George VI (he was actually called Albert, and had a younger brother called George, but decided - as monarchs can - to be known as George in the interests of continuing and stability). Albert was extremely reserved and had a very noticeable stammer. Many people in the Government, and even the Court, though the job would be too much for him. However, although with some dismay, he succeeded in according with the laws of succession. With the help of his wife (the former Lady Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon, later The Queen Mother) he mastered his stammer, and they were greatly loved figureheads during the War years.

I am sure that Charles will bring his own qualities to the position and that he will be popular. To suggest that because many people were devoted to, even obsessed with, Princess Diana, he will be a 'bad king' or that Camilla should never be Queen if Charles is King, is putting tabloid interpretation on the situation. He is next in line and there is no precedent to 'jump' to a younger person just because the media think he has more 'star' (or 'soap opera'!) quality. That is not the nature of the job. William is still learning and maturing and will be all the better for it when his time ultimately comes.

(On the suggestion that it is only British people who can have an opinion on this - I think perhaps those people outside the UK do not get as complete a picture of Charles - or any other member of the RF - as those living here. The media exposure they will mostly be seeing will largely be of the tabloid variety. This makes it difficult to get a rounded view. I feel it isn't that they 'can't' have a view, just that it might not be such an informed view.)
__________________
  #234  
Old 05-21-2007, 03:06 PM
Skydragon's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: London and Highlands, United Kingdom
Posts: 10,943
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison20
On the suggestion that it is only British people who can have an opinion on this - I think perhaps those people outside the UK do not get as complete a picture of Charles - or any other member of the RF - as those living here. The media exposure they will mostly be seeing will largely be of the tabloid variety. This makes it difficult to get a rounded view. I feel it isn't that they 'can't' have a view, just that it might not be such an informed view.
I was not suggesting that only the British can have an opinion or indeed that other posters, from other countries can't have a view. Nor was I suggesting that it is just a popularity contest, only that whatever some posters on here may want to believe, whether we abolish the monarchy tomorrow, Charles and Camillas popularity has grown in the UK and beyond.

The majority of people who express a view on forums like this, are not from the UK and only have the media and other posters (normally non Brits) opinions to base their opinion on.
__________________
  #235  
Old 05-21-2007, 04:10 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Posts: 254
Yes, Skydragon. I agree with you - I was only trying to put it another way as someone who responded to you did, IMO, seem to get your point. :-)

Sorry - there was a 'not' missing!! Great confusion, Skydragon. I really should do my postings a little earlier in the evening!!
__________________
  #236  
Old 05-21-2007, 04:48 PM
Skydragon's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: London and Highlands, United Kingdom
Posts: 10,943
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison20
I was only trying to put it another way as someone who responded to you did, IMO, seem to get your point. :-)
Confusion reigns.
__________________
  #237  
Old 05-21-2007, 04:54 PM
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: ***, United States
Posts: 16,897
Well, never mind - let's try to get past the confusion into the clear light of day and all that good stuff.
__________________
  #238  
Old 05-22-2007, 04:31 AM
Jo of Palatine's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Munich, Germany
Posts: 3,323
Daily Express: The World's Greatest Newspaper :: News / Showbiz :: 90% say no to Queen Camilla


90% SAY NO TO QUEEN CAMILLA


PRINCE Charles faces huge public opposition to Camilla becoming Queen despite a two-year charm offensive, a Daily Express opinion poll revealed last night.
__________________
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
  #239  
Old 05-22-2007, 05:06 AM
Skydragon's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: London and Highlands, United Kingdom
Posts: 10,943
Does anyone but a Diana fan read the Express?

Daily Express readers to get final say on Diana death

The readership of the Daily Express is to get the final say on Princess Diana's death, the coroner announced yesterday. Lady Eliza Manningham-Butler-Sloss told a preliminary court hearing that she did not want the panel to be drawn from the Royal Household, and this was an easy way of ensuring that it was not

DeadBrain - Daily Express readers to get final say on Diana death
__________________
  #240  
Old 05-22-2007, 06:31 AM
Jo of Palatine's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Munich, Germany
Posts: 3,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon
Does anyone but a Diana fan read the Express?

Daily Express readers to get final say on Diana death

The readership of the Daily Express is to get the final say on Princess Diana's death, the coroner announced yesterday. Lady Eliza Manningham-Butler-Sloss told a preliminary court hearing that she did not want the panel to be drawn from the Royal Household, and this was an easy way of ensuring that it was not

DeadBrain - Daily Express readers to get final say on Diana death
That was a good one!

But to answer your question: obviously 10% of its readers are no Diana-fans or how come only 90% were against a "Queen Camilla"?
__________________

__________________
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Closed Thread

Tags
camilla, duchess of cornwall, princess consort, queen consort, styles and titles


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Princess Madeleine, Current Events Part 3: August 2004 - June 2005 Josefine Current Events Archive 279 06-26-2005 08:56 PM
Royal Family of Belgium Part 2 Alexandria Current Events Archive 190 03-30-2005 12:56 PM
Prince Felipe and Princess Letizia, Current Events Part 3: October - December 2004 Alexandria Current Events Archive 274 12-04-2004 09:11 AM
King Carl XVI Gustaf and Queen Silvia, Current Events Part 1: November 2002-June 2004 Josefine Current Events Archive 300 06-12-2004 08:13 AM




Additional Links
Popular Tags
birth bourbon-parma charlene chris o'neill crown prince felipe crown prince haakon crown princess letizia crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit crown princess victoria current events engagement fashion genealogy grand duchess maria teresa grand duke henri hohenzollern infanta elena infanta sofia jewellery jordan kate middleton king abdullah ii king carl xvi gustav king felipe king felipe vi king harald king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander luxembourg olympics ottoman picture of the month pieter van vollenhoven pom prince albert prince albert ii prince carl philip prince constantijn prince felipe prince floris prince pieter-christiaan princess princess alexia (2005 -) princess anita princess ariane princess beatrix princess catharina-amalia princess charlene princess laurentien princess letizia princess mabel princess madeleine princess margriet princess mary queen letizia queen mathilde queen maxima queen rania queen silvia queen sofia royal russia sofia hellqvist spain state visit visit wedding william



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:23 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises

Royal News Delivered to your Email!

You can get the latest Royal News right in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]