Title for Camilla

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TODOI

Commoner
when and if Prince charles finally does marry Camilla would she be granted a title?......

She should take one of Charles subsidiary titles

* Duchess of Cornwall
* Duchess of Lancaster

Originally posted by lori+Apr 13th, 2004 - 3:43 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (lori @ Apr 13th, 2004 - 3:43 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-gdflorence@Apr 13th, 2004 - 1:35 am
Witch!  :lol:
:lol: :lol: that's a good one. [/b][/quote]
Not particularly productive though!

Originally posted by ulik@Apr 13th, 2004 - 7:04 am
it's princess of wales
It´s up for the queen to decide what kinde of titel she migth get if they ever get married witsh i don´t ever hope for them and England,Scotland,Ireland and Australia it will be sad if they do. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

I've heard Duchess of Cornwall most commonly as the one Camilla would get.

What is the likelihood of Camilla being extended a title by the Queen but not accepting it? Such as Edward and Sophie along with the Queen opting for Lady Louise rather than Princess Louise?

Technically Camilla would take the rank and style of her husband, making her HRH Camilla, Princess of Wales, Duchess of Cornwall, Duchess of Lancaster, etc, etc, etc.

The only time a royal wife did not take the rank and style of her husband was the Duchess of Windsor who was refused these by letters patent issued by King George VI. In later years, after the Duchess's death, there was some doubt cast on the legality of this move.

I would imagine there would be a huge public outcry if she was Styled the Princess of Wales

Originally posted by TODOI@Apr 14th, 2004 - 11:12 am
I would imagine there would be a huge public outcry if she was Styled the Princess of Wales
.... but she would be entitled to it.

Personally I don't think Charles will marry her until he becomes King and probably not until he has been crowned.

I don't think Camilla should be given the title of Princess of Wales. It was Diana's title and she still kept it after her divorce from Charles. I think it would be in very poor taste especially since Diana was so loved and popular

Originally posted by missally@Apr 14th, 2004 - 12:43 pm
I don't think Camilla should be given the title of Princess of Wales. It was Diana's title and she still kept it after her divorce from Charles. I think it would be in very poor taste especially since Diana was so loved and popular
But, as I said, she would be legally entitled to it!

I knew about her! she is really witch woman who ruin into Prince Charles and Diana's marriage but Camilla went see Charles often! but Diana told him please dont see her every year! since Prince Charles been chat with her about female's tampax Prince William told his mummy about it but Diana got shock it!

i dont wanted Camilla as Princess of Wales or she would have titles neither! many people would have heartbreaking over famous Princess Diana's death if Camilla would have to become Princess many people would have bigger BOOED at Camilla for sakes!

im not suppose Camilla! i do suppose Charles since i met him at Prince's trust i want him as remarriages!

Sara Boyce

She wouldn't become Duchess of Lancaster until Charles became King, at which point William would automatically become Duke of Cornwall. Duchess of Cornwall would probably be the most likely option if she marries Charles while the Queen is still alive.

I have a question.....

if Camilla were to get a title such as Duchess of Cornwall or Lancaster or whatever other title will be passed down to William when/if/should Charles become King......

What about the future Mrs. William? Wouldn't she be entitled to the titles/styles but maybe by then Camilla has usurped one?

Originally posted by justine@Apr 15th, 2004 - 6:32 am
I have a question.....

if Camilla were to get a title such as Duchess of Cornwall or Lancaster or whatever other title will be passed down to William when/if/should Charles become King......

What about the future Mrs. William? Wouldn't she be entitled to the titles/styles but maybe by then Camilla has usurped one?
If Charles marries Camilla before he becomes king and she take his subsidary title of Duchess of Cornwall when he became king she would probably take the Lancaster title and William's wife would become Princess of Wales, Duchess of Cornwall etc, etc, etc.

Should William marry before his grandmothers passing then his wife would be Princess William unless the Queen gives him another title.

We should all keep in mind, however, that Camilla is legally entitled to share Charles rank and style at the time of their marriage and at all times after it.

Duke of Cornwall is a title that's automatically given to the eldest son of the monarch; Prince of Wales has to be conferred. Duke of Lancaster is a title that's automatic for the monarch (since the monarchs come from the Lancastrian line after the Wars of the Roses).

If Charles marries Camilla before becoming King, she'd be entitled to be called Princess of Wales, but considering what a public-relations disaster that would be, it's very possible (and I think preferable, if Charles wants the monarchy to survive the experience) that she'd take the title Duchess of Cornwall or Countess of Chester or one of the other subsidiary titles rather than holding out for the Princess of Wales title.

Once Charles becomes King, there'd be nothing to stop Camilla being Queen; again, she might opt to take the Duchess of Lancaster title if she wasn't going to take a prominent role in public life.

If she marries Charles while he's Prince of Wales and he dies before becoming King, she'd get to keep her title; since the Wales and Cornwall titles can only be given to the eldest son of the sovereign, William wouldn't inherit them as the Queen's grandson. He'd still be Prince William of Wales (and his wife would be Princess William) until the Queen died, when he'd become King.

From what everyone has said it seems that while Camilla may "legally" take the title of Princess of Wales, I think that it is the Queen who has discretionary power over who bears what title. Also with the preservation of the monarchy as the foremost consideration of the Royal Family, it would be wise for Camilla to given the title of Princess of Wales.

As much as I would hate to see :angry: Camilla take the title of Princess of Wales, I believe it would be her right if she married The Prince of Wales. :sick: However, if the Queen didn't want to give her that title, I would be overjoyed! :woot:

The Queen is the Fountain of all Honours. The decision will rest with her and her alone.

The law is that the wife of a British Peer takes his title, style and is ranked along side her husband. Royalty operates under the same system. While Camilla would be legally entitled to be HRH The Princess of Wales (HRH The Duchess of Rothesay in Scotland) I doubt this would be the case. Remember Wallis Simpson she was by all rights fully entitled to be HRH The Duchess of Windsor (and also Princess of the United Kingdom of Great Britian and Northern Ireland), however, this is not what happened. The King used his position as founs honourum to alter her status and title.

I would also point out that neither Sarah, Duchess of York nor Diana, Princess of Wales retained any title after their divorces. Those were the common styling for the divorced wives of peers. They are no longer titles but rather mere surnames that carry no rank or position.

Sarah is once again a commoner. Diana, however, remained a member of the royal family (per her divorce agreement) with considerable concessions such as use of the Royal Aircraft, use of the state rooms of ST. James Palace and her apartment in KP. Sarah has non of these concessions and her divorce made no provisions for her to remain a member of the royal family. Though, Diana held no rank despite still being a member of the RF. Diana started her life as The Hon. Diana Spencer then became The Lady Diana Spencer - HRH The Princess of Wales - and remains forever Diana, Princess of Wales.

I suspect Camilla would be known as something unrelated to any of the titles Charles currently holds.

I would also point out that Camilla wouldn't be HRH Camilla, Princess of Wales, Duchess of Cornwall...........it would be HRH The Princess of Wales, The Duchess of cornwall. The absence of the 'the' marks a gigantic change in status. Charles isn't HRH Prince of Wales he is HRH The Prince of Wales. Diana became Diana, Princess of Wales because she was no longer The Princess of Wales nor even a Princess of Wales it was a mere surname. I suppose more accurately a style, if you will. If she were Camilla, Princess of Wales it would imply that she were the ex-wife of a/the Prince of Wales.

What amuses me is how Sarah constantly calls herself The Duchess of York or Sarah, The Duchess of York. Which makes me laugh...that would imply that she were The Duchess of York in her own right or was still married to Andrew. And, she should know better. I remember vividly Sarah saying her daughters were HRH 'The' Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie of York on David Letterman. All I could think was that she knows full well that 'The' is only for the children of a Monarch and that her daughters were HRH Princess with no 'The.'

If William and Harry marry during EIIR reign their wives would become HRH Princess William of Wales and HRH Princess Henry of Wales. Though, I suspect that they will be granted other titles on their marriages. If they marry after their father becomes King their wives will be HRH The Princess William (until he is invested as The Prince of Wales) and HRH The Princess Henry. I don't think a British Prince has remained simpy "Prince Name" after marriage for any of the generations I can think of.

HM may even modernize and allow wives to use their own names in theire titles before the deaths of their spouses. Keeping that in mind, I also think that LP will be issued to allow their children to have the status of HRH Prince/ss. As it stands now, only the firstborn of William will be HRH Prince/ss his other children would be Lord/Lady and commoners. The children of Harry would be Lord/Lady and also commoners. I don't think this will happen as they would start out as commoners and end up as royals eventually when Charles became King. Besides, it would hardly be fair for Will to have one child be HRH Prince Baby1 and then have The Lady Baby2.

Perhaps, the old Windsor Dukedom will be revived for Cammy.

really OT, but the idea of "Princess Henry of Wales" amuses me because I can never for the life of me remember to call him Henry. He's always Harry :)

Originally posted by Lalla Meriem@Apr 17th, 2004 - 3:09 pm
Perhaps, the old Windsor Dukedom will be revived for Cammy.
I seriously doubt that we will ever see this Dukedom used again especially in these circumstances.

I'm not a fan of Camilla either but I don't know why some of you hate her so much. I mean, it takes at least 2 people to have an affair. And from what I know, Diana had one too. Did she do anything besides the affair she had with Charles during his marriage? I don't follow the british family as much as you, so, I may be missing something.

I don't hate Camilla. I was merely commenting on the title question. I honestly think they should be allowed to marry with Camilla getting to be HRH of something. I don't think she should be HM Queen Camilla, but then again that isn't up to me.

The situation with King Edward VIII is actually quite similar to that of Charles and Camilla. However, the most important difference in my opinion is that the abdication of Edward was not what the public wanted.

Well, I said Princess Henry because I honestly think Princess Henry sounds better than Princess Harry, JMHO. She would forever be Princess "Hairy" in the press like Sarah was Duchess of Pork. Princess Henry sounds more elegant.

Diana had more than one affair. She had more affairs than Charles did. Charles only had Camilla and Janet.

Originally posted by Lalla Meriem@Apr 19th, 2004 - 12:18 pm
Charles only had Camilla and Janet.
JANET who????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom