The Wales Family Pets

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah "peanuts" was a guinea pig and she also had a pony that she had when she was with her mom. There is a photo of her with him I can't remeber his name though.

Yeah "peanuts" was a guinea pig and she also had a pony that she had when she was with her mom. There is a photo of her with him I can't remeber his name though.

Oh yeah that Shetland pony. I don't remember the name either. Do you know what horse it was that Diana fell off when she was little, about six I think?

Apparently she fell off the pony and didn't ride again until her Hewitt days!

Thats what ive read too Skydragon, Whats the most interesting pet the Royal Family has owened?

Oh, I thought the Princess of Wales fell off a horse not a pony. Anyway has Charles gotten another dog after Tigger died?

Other than the little dog Camilla was walking last November, I don't know of any dogs she or Charles has, although I believe Camilla has two or three as mentioned already. For Charles specifically, I don't know.
Here are some old pics of Wales Family Pets I found on Rex. All show Prince Harry with a black Lab, in 1997 and 2003, in the 1997 pics you can see Tigger in some. I suppose the dog in 1997 was Widgeon? Maybe it's Widgeon in 2003 too, but I doubt it because the dog looks too young.
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b120/Chewster05/royaldogs/274510I.jpg
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b120/Chewster05/royaldogs/274510J.jpg
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b120/Chewster05/royaldogs/274510K.jpg
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b120/Chewster05/royaldogs/274510L.jpg
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b120/Chewster05/royaldogs/417932X.jpg

Last edited:
Do they only have Jack Russells? Why do I have it in my head that BRF were also big Labrador people (as well as the royal corgis) or is that only for field trials? I know QEII used to (maybe still) do hunting/retriever trials wih her Labs. Perhaps i am just prejudiced, as we have the girliest black Labrador ever! :) Almost 11!

I like the last picture of Diana with the puppy its cute and the last picture of Camilla is also nice.

Perhaps i am just prejudiced, as we have the girliest black Labrador ever! :) Almost 11!

Oh my! 11 year old Lab! Wow, I hope mine will live so long. He is five now and doing very well and I am hoping to have him forever, honestly, I can't imagine my life without him. I have pics of him on my web site. My Scout, he's the best. Honestly, scooter, the only breeds of dogs I have ever known about Prince Charles or his wives having:

Prince Charles: Labradors, Jack Russells
Camilla: Jack Russells
diana: When she was a girl, her family always had keeshonds.

I haven't heard of any royal except the Queen, Queen Mother, and Princess Margaret having Corgis.
Even Anne never had Corgis that I know about. I've seen Anne and family with a few breeds, mostly terrier like dogs, bulldogs, Labradors, but no corgis that I've ever seen. Corgis are so precious, though, I like that breed too.

What about polo ponies?
I haven't counted for Charles ever, but for William I've counted four different ones. He only seems to have the same four he uses for every match, which I gather is standard for all serious polo players. They rotate them to give them rest.
Harry has at least three, maybe four as well.

Last edited:
Princess Anne has a liking for what we in the U.S. call pitbull terriers, or just pitbulls. Anne had a problem with one in the past few years, that bit a youngster and Anne got a citation for it. And I believe Anne had a pitbull that mortally injured one of HM's corgis.

Prince Charles had Harvey while he was courting Diana. After the marriage, allegedly she made him give up Harvey. (Sorry, no love interests will come between me and my pets, who all happen to be cats right now!)

Prince Charles had Harvey while he was courting Diana. After the marriage, allegedly she made him give up Harvey. (Sorry, no love interests will come between me and my pets, who all happen to be cats right now!)

Now that would be just wrong if true, because I would never give up a dog for a love interest. I hear you on that one, iowabelle. Somehow I find that one difficult to swallow. Anyone having so much power over someone as to "make" them get rid of a dog.... I don't want to know such a person that would ask, let alone the person that would cave!:ermm: Unless they had a very good reason, like the dog was harmful or threatening in some way, but I would never have a dog like that, so as I say, I can't imagine!
But about Anne's dogs, I remember when that happened. It was so horrible. I can't imagine going through something like that.

Anne's dog seemed to be unruly. And that's unusual because I think she's very much in command of her animals. (And, oh, wouldn't that have been awful to have your dog kill your mother The Queen's pet? Yikes. Anne could have been sent to the Tower!)

And when I heard about Diana "making" Charles give up Harvey, I couldn't imagine that he would have been so spineless, IF he truly liked the dog. After all, it was a hunting dog and how much time would Diana have had to spend with it? I always thought there was more to this story than got into the books and magazines.

Anne's dog seemed to be unruly. And that's unusual because I think she's very much in command of her animals. (And, oh, wouldn't that have been awful to have your dog kill your mother The Queen's pet? Yikes. Anne could have been sent to the Tower!)

And when I heard about Diana "making" Charles give up Harvey, I couldn't imagine that he would have been so spineless, IF he truly liked the dog. After all, it was a hunting dog and how much time would Diana have had to spend with it? I always thought there was more to this story than got into the books and magazines.

You're right about it being unusual, period, about Anne's dog. But I read in Pimlott's book that apparently one of the Queen's dogs attacked and killed one of the Queen Mother's dogs in the 1950s. I gave this a lot of thought when I first read it because of course I connected it to what happened with Anne's dog. It is puzzling. But I think this can happen to dogs that grow up in large packs, which always seems to be the case with the royal dogs, they can become extremely territorial and aggressive, can't they?
It seems to make sense because Charles has tended to have just one or two dogs, not large packs, and he hasn't had any problems like that.

About the Diana and Harvey story, I agree there is more to it. It doesn't make sense that she would just ask for no reason, even less sense that he would cave into her "demand". I know for myself, I am very attached to my pets, even closer to them maybe to any humans (in certain respects, because the inhibitions just disappear with animals, the relationship is so pure) and I cannot imagine ever giving up a pet for a husband or boyfriend.

Princess Anne has a liking for what we in the U.S. call pitbull terriers, or just pitbulls. Anne had a problem with one in the past few years, that bit a youngster and Anne got a citation for it. And I believe Anne had a pitbull that mortally injured one of HM's corgis.
Your pitbulls are nothing like our English Bull Terriers! :eek: :flowers:

BBC NEWS | UK | Anne's dog kills Queen's corgi

Re Harvey
iowabelle said:
Diana "making" Charles give up Harvey, I couldn't imagine that he would have been so spineless, IF he truly liked the dog
I understood Diana found him to be a little boisterous and threatening, Harvey that is. Any dog will 'try it on' with what it sees as an intruder on it's territory and not every person is an animal lover, willing to put up with a few muddy pawprints. :pawprint:
Charles rehomed Harvey to ease the tensions with his new wife, IMO. He would have been better keeping Harvey as it turned out!

Last edited:
The royals that live in Bukingham Palace, Kensington Palace,etc etc, are they allowed to keep dogs in the residences or do they keep the dogs on their country estates.

Re Harvey

I understood Diana found him to be a little boisterous and threatening, Harvey that is. Any dog will 'try it on' with what it sees as an intruder on it's territory and not every person is an animal lover, willing to put up with a few muddy pawprints. :pawprint:
Charles rehomed Harvey to ease the tensions with his new wife, IMO. He would have been better keeping Harvey as it turned out!

Well, that was just silly of Diana. I think she was ok with dogs, though, having grown up around animals in the country and her family always had them running around. I guess it was just another thing Diana could try to control when she was at her lowest ebb. I don't mean that as harshly as it sounds. I only mean that when she was at her most insecure, a newbie in the royal family and all that, on top of the marital problems, I think she was a bit of a control freak trying to make things ok (control freak symptons are classic in sufferers of bulimia, it's part of the disease, to be desperate to make things perfect). It's so sad. Horrible disease that wreaks havoc on the sufferers and everyone around them.

Erm - that's WELSH corgi, if you don't mind...:walesflag::corgi::walesflag::D

One of the Queen’s corgis misbehaved with a dachshund named Pipkin which belonged to Princess Margaret. She owns four Dorgis at the moment. :D

How cute is that?! :ROFLMAO: So this happened just once? All four of the Dorgis are from the same, erm, "misbehavior"?
One of the funniest, cutest things involving royal pets was in the movie "The Queen", when she would snap her fingers and point at them, "stay!" and they would just sit there like soldiers! I think they are really regimental like that too, because I remember in the 1990s documentary the BBC did on the Queen, they would follow her around in single file! :D

How cute is that?! :ROFLMAO: So this happened just once? All four of the Dorgis are from the same, erm, "misbehavior"?
:D
No, after that, having seen the result, they bred them! :ROFLMAO:

I think now all that is left on the Dorgi subject is to share some pictures! We don't have any visuals with this new knowledge? ;)

I have this old pic of Prince Charles with Lady Jane Wellesley walking Harvey around, or I assume he's Harvey. It is amazing to me how much Harvey looks like my own lab. They could be twins except for their noses are different and mine is slightly, ahem, "chubbier"! :blush:
The original source for the picture is Camera Press/Anthony Holden, Charles at Fifty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom