The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-26-2007, 05:39 PM
Imperial Majesty

HM also breeds and trains Labradors and Spaniels as gun dogs.

Old 06-26-2007, 07:09 PM

I thought it was just Labs that are gun dogs, didn't know about Spaniels being bred for that too. All the royal gun dogs are bred and trained at Sandringham aren't they? I've read that the Queen's dog-breeding is actually very sparring, as she is very wary about over-breeding. I hope so because over-breeding causes problems. It can seriously affect the health of the pups.

Old 06-27-2007, 05:34 AM
Imperial Majesty

Gun Dogs

Brittany, English Setter, German Pointer (Long and wire haired), Gordon Setter, Vizsla, Irish Setter, Kooikerhondje, Labrador, Munsterlander, Poodle, Retriever (various coats) American Cocker Spaniel, Spaniel, (English Springer, Irish water, Cocker, Clumber, Sussex, Welsh Springer), Spanish Water dog, Weimaraner - to name a few!

Yes the breeding and training is done at Sandringham and I'm sure like any good breeder, HM is very careful of bloodlines and not to overbreed her dogs or horses.
Old 07-01-2007, 04:46 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
I understood Diana found him to be a little boisterous and threatening, Harvey that is. Any dog will 'try it on' with what it sees as an intruder on it's territory and not every person is an animal lover, willing to put up with a few muddy pawprints.
Charles rehomed Harvey to ease the tensions with his new wife, IMO. He would have been better keeping Harvey as it turned out!
I see what happened with Harvey as an early symptom of the problems with this couple. And I guess banishment was HRH's attempt to please Diana.

I guess I'm more of a Camilla in this aspect. A few muddy pawprints wouldn't annoy me, and I'm not very intimidated by large dogs (small dogs are a different matter! The worst bite I ever got was from a miniature Yorkie!).
Old 07-01-2007, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowabelle View Post
I see what happened with Harvey as an early symptom of the problems with this couple. And I guess banishment was HRH's attempt to please Diana.

I guess I'm more of a Camilla in this aspect. A few muddy pawprints wouldn't annoy me, and I'm not very intimidated by large dogs (small dogs are a different matter! The worst bite I ever got was from a miniature Yorkie!).
I have to agree, iowabelle! Big dogs are the sweetest ones! It's the little ones you must watch out for! Big dogs like mine (he weighs 95 lbs!) think they are tiny lap dogs, like they just want to crawl up and cuddle and be so sweet! I just adore them, and I can't imagine (much as love Diana) anyone not just loving them.
Old 11-06-2007, 03:11 PM
Royal Highness

Camilla visited today Bristol University´s School of Veterinary Science, there she told that she just had lost one of her dogs:
From the PoW website:
´Sadly she had just lost a Jack Russell terrier which was 21 years old´

How sad, was it Tosca?
Old 11-06-2007, 04:39 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by milla Ca View Post
Camilla visited today Bristol University´s School of Veterinary Science, there she told that she just had lost one of her dogs:
From the PoW website:
´Sadly she had just lost a Jack Russell terrier which was 21 years old´

How sad, was it Tosca?
No, it was Freddie, I believe.
Old 11-06-2007, 04:55 PM
Aristocracy

I agree with Skydragon. I think it was Freddie too. I know Camilla had Freddie
in 1992 and Tosca, Freddie's daughter, the dog she originally bred for Charles? I think that happened in the mid 90's.

I always suspected that Freddie was a favorite of Camilla's
Old 11-06-2007, 05:07 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by cde View Post
I agree with Skydragon. I think it was Freddie too. I know Camilla had Freddie
in 1992 and Tosca, Freddie's daughter, the dog she originally bred for Charles? I think that happened in the mid 90's.

I always suspected that Freddie was a favorite of Camilla's
Wasn´t the dog a present from Charles to her? And if the dog was 21 it had to be born in 1986. I think Tosca was the older one but, I´m not sure.
Old 11-06-2007, 05:46 PM
Courtier

It was Freddie. I am pretty sure because Tom said Freddie was very old and blind in his last book. Freddie was Camilla's favourtite. Freddie was died at 21 year old. That's long! It's sad.
Old 11-06-2007, 06:25 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornsen View Post
Wasn´t the dog a present from Charles to her? And if the dog was 21 it had to be born in 1986. I think Tosca was the older one but, I´m not sure.
Tosca was bred for Charles, Charles then gave her back to Camilla as the dog was a little anti social with other dogs, (which Camilla managed to train out of her, to some extent). Tosca is I believe one of the pup's Freddie sired.
Old 01-14-2008, 05:13 PM
Nobility

Camilla's daughter had a dog, i know becasue a friend of mine met her daughter and got to stroke it, don;t know what type but it was a larger dog, like a retriever size not a a jack russel like her mother.
Old 07-27-2008, 01:31 PM
Royal Highness

I just have seen this nice pic from ´92. The sweety is Tigger, i think.

Getty Images - Unsupported browser detected
Old 07-28-2008, 02:06 PM
Gentry

Jack Russels are tremendous balls of energy. My mom's Jack is older now, so she's not as crazy.

I imagine that having cats around large dogs that are bred and trained to hunt little furry things would make it unsafe for the Wales' and Princess Anne to own them. I have a cat and a dog, but they are about the same size, plus my dog is a chicken!
Old 01-24-2013, 11:40 PM
Courtier

A portrait of one of the dogs of the PoW

Found by coincidence the bright and colorful portrait of one of the dogs of the PoW made by Shunyam:

Shunyam

The site shows the picture plus it includes a Thank you letter from St. James Palace. BTW I like the paintings of Shunyam. Modern and bright. The dogs are brilliant.

Cheers :)
Old 01-25-2013, 12:42 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowabelle View Post
Prince Charles had Harvey while he was courting Diana. After the marriage, allegedly she made him give up Harvey. (Sorry, no love interests will come between me and my pets, who all happen to be cats right now!)
First time going through the thread, so forgive me bringing this up out of the void, but...

I've read in a few books the reason why Harvey had to go was because he was going to the bathroom in the house, and no matter what was tried, Harvey couldn't be broken of the habit. Due to that, he was sent to the kennels at Sandringham where he could be outdoors the majority of the time and be happy too.

I of course could be wrong about all of that, but I clearly remember reading that in more than one book over the years.

Tags
camilla, duchess of cornwall, pets, prince charles, prince of wales