The Prince of Wales's 70th Birthday: November 14, 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Charles and Camilla were set to attend the wedding of Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden and Daniel Westling in 2110, but had to cancel since he hurt his foot. Swedish media reported at the time that William, Harry and Catherine were also invited, but that they chose to attend the World Cup in South Africa instead.

I am surprised Kate would be invited as she was not yet engaged to William at that time (June 2010 ?).

Yeah, I remember reading that girlfriend Catherine had been invited. No way the BRF would ever approve of sending a girlfriend as official representation. It was an odd story, though a nice gesture from the more informal Swedes (if the story had real merit).

But I do think it's a bit insulting to keep deploying the Wessexes, as if all the more important royals have better things to do!

I find this very insulting towards the Wessexes. They have attended many events in Europe and seem to get on really well with everyone.
Just keep sending them even if they are not considered "important".

Friendships have been formed ,quite close ones too, [as the interaction between Queen Maxima with the Countess of Wessex during the recent State visit proved].
I've no doubt the various royals would rather see a friend show up, than a virtual stranger [who may be 'higher ranking'] but who is unfamiliar!

I believe Edward and Sophie were seen sailing with WA and Máxima aboard Princess Beatrix' yacht De Groene Draeck.

Prince Charles actually attended the weddings of the Duke of Brabant, the Prince of Orange, and the Prince of Asturias. He was also present at the funeral service for Prince Claus of the Netherlands. In fact, it was only recently (mostly post-2004) that the Prince of Wales stopped representing the Queen in royal events in the continent.

he also attended the wedding of Haakon and Mette-Marit .

Why can't the Cambridges and the Sussexes attend once in a while?

Actually as both the Cambridges and the Sussexes are now full time "working" royals for the "Firm", I wouldn't be surprised if they do get sent to foreign occasions instead of Edward and Sophie more often. ?

If my memory is working today, I think I can safely say that Charles can and does attend occasions where his presence is called for. I think HM sends representatives from the House of Windsor that mesh best with the occasion.

Last edited:
People seem very quick to suggest that the Wessexes are unimportant. It's hardly like HM has been sending the Harewoods as her representatives at foreign Royal events recently and has desperately been waiting for one of her closer family members to marry/become full time working royals so she can send someone more senior instead! Let's not forget that despite now being tenth in the order of succession, from the time of their marriage until the second wedding of the Prince of Wales, the Wessexes were actually the second highest couple in the order of seniority after HM and the DoE. Even after the weddings of Charles, William and Harry over the last decade or so, the Wessexes are still the fifth most senior couple in the BRF.

I'd say that HM perhaps divides foreign Royal events into ones where she is invited as British Head of State and those where she is invited as distant cousin Elizabeth. The PoW it seems is usually deployed as her representative at the former, whilst the Wessexes have attended when it's the latter. As Charles takes on more of HMs role I'd say we might see the Cambridges taking on some of the former events but that Edward and Sophie are likely to retain the latter ones as being represented at a family event by one of your children is more personal than being represented by one of your grandchildren.

:previous:

Several posts have been moved in accordance with the above moderator notice.

Any word on the guestlist yet? Anyone from Monaco (hopefully)?

Any word on the guestlist yet? Anyone from Monaco (hopefully)?

I'd love to see Albert and Charlene attend too but I don't know if the timing will be right as there will be a lot of events on in Monaco next week in the lead up to National Day.

Margareta Thorgren, the Director of the Press department of the Swedish Royal Court, said to Expressen:
- The royal couple received an invitation, but because of the state visit in 13-15 November they have declined. No one else from the royal house will go. The Crown Princess and Prince Daniel will also take part when the Italian president comes here.
Thorgren said also that the king and queen are sorry they can't attend, but the planning for the state visit has been very long, it started already in the spring and therefore, this state visit is a priority.
Kungaparet tvingas säga nej till prins Charles 70-årsfest

For the Brits there is a documentary on Charles tonight to commemorate his upcoming birthday. Prince,Son and Heir: Charles at 70 on BBC1 at 9pm

Last edited:
Yeah, I remember reading that girlfriend Catherine had been invited. No way the BRF would ever approve of sending a girlfriend as official representation. It was an odd story, though a nice gesture from the more informal Swedes (if the story had real merit).

i think they meant catherine being invited to charles' birthday, not to send her as official representation to the wedding of victoria and daniel.

On Wednesday November 14th the President of Austria, Mr Alexander van der Bellen and his partner Mrs Doris Schmidauer will bring an official visit to the Netherlands. At Noon, the royal couple will offer a lunch to the presidential couple.

In the evening there will be a banquet but this will be organized by the Prime Minister, Mr Mark Rutte. It will not be in one of the royal palaces, but in the Prime Minister's residence, the Catshuis. It is unusual that a Prime Minister offers a formal banquet for a visiting head of state.

I think this special arrangement was done to enable the King and Queen (and Princess Beatrix) to go to London.

Last edited:
But that could just be, to use a topical phrase, "fake news" or just tabloid trash, IMO. Pefsinally, I think it highly unlikely that the then girlfriend of Prince William be invited to the Swedish wedding, unless the couple were close to the SRF.
Which is why I wrote "the media reported". Though that said Charlene Wittstock was there and like Catherine she wasn't engaged to her future husband yet.
As we've already been told off this is something not to be discussed in this thread.

Which is why I wrote "the media reported". Though that said Charlene Wittstock was there and like Catherine she wasn't engaged to her future husband yet.
As we've already been told off this is something not to be discussed in this thread.

Charlene was there, but Charlene and Albert's engagement was announced in the week following the wedding.

The photos are elegant and warm, the article is great and highlight the hard work and passion from Charles and Camilla, but I think it goes to show how great it is to have companionship in your life.

I also think it goes to show that Charles has his publicity machine on full throttle. It's a nice article, but it is carefully crafted to show him in the best light--which is fine, who wouldn't want their best side showing? I would appreciate a more well-rounded story; accurate, showing the good and not-so-good, positive and negative, instructive, good reporting. It's hard to get that kind of reporting these days--it's all so managed. But he does look happy, and his birthday is a celebratory event.

I also think it goes to show that Charles has his publicity machine on full throttle. It's a nice article, but it is carefully crafted to show him in the best light--which is fine, who wouldn't want their best side showing? I would appreciate a more well-rounded story; accurate, showing the good and not-so-good, positive and negative, instructive, good reporting. It's hard to get that kind of reporting these days--it's all so managed. But he does look happy, and his birthday is a celebratory event.

After thousands of articles showing Charles in bad light (as a philanderer, meddling prince, man-child, aloof, bad father, bad husband ...) is it possible to enjoy a nice article about him without screaming PR campaign ?
This man can't win. We know it, and he certainely knows it.

It's known that Princess Victoria was one of the first to know about Prince Albert's engagement as he brought Charlene with him to the wedding. The engagement announcement was deliberately postponed not to steal Victoria's thunder. I think that's a different case from Kate whose engagement was announced at least 4 months after Victoria's wedding.

On a different note, William and Kate were invited to the princely wedding but they couldn't attend because of their Canadian tour. :flowers:

Confirmation from Norway: The King, Queen , Crown Prince, Crown Princess

"14.11.2018 Jubileum Deres Majesteter Kongen og Dronningen er til stede på mottakelse og middag i anledning 70-årsdagen til H.K.H. Prinsen av Wales. DD.KK.HH. Kronprinsen og Kronprinsessen vil også være til stede."

https://www.kongehuset.no/program.html?tid=27511&sek=26946&person=

In honor of the 70th birthday of the Prince of Wales, the Royal Mail will release six new stamps.

One unseen photo of Charles, William, Charles, and Harry. The photo was taken at the 100th birthday celebrations of the Royal Air Force in July.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Drn38fzX0AAHvrk.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DrpFI_zX0AAUI2a.jpg

Acoording the Jurnalist Wim Dehandshuter who receive confirmation that King Philippe and Queen Mathilde will attend on the 70th Birthday Party of Prince Charles

" [Wim Dehandschutter]‏ @WDehandschutter
Belgian King Philippe and Queen Mathilde will be attending Prince Charles's party at Buckingham Palace. I have received confirmation from the Royal Palace in Brussels that they have accepted Queen Elizabeth's invitation to Wednesday's dinner to mark her son's 70th birthday."

19 rare pictures of Prince Charles for his 70th Birthday!

https://www.hellomagazine.com/royal...ce-charles-rare-personal-pictures-birthday/1/

Lovely family pictures!!!

The Royal Couple of Bulgaria will be there tonight

Цар Симеон и Царица Маргарита са в Лондон за 70-годишния юбилей на Принц Чарлз « Н.В. Цар Симеон II

Her Majesty Margareta of Romania had a telephone conversation and wished him for his birthday. In the next month, with Prince Radu will meet with the Prince of Wales in London.

Principele de Wales, 70 | Familia Regală a României / Royal Family of Romania

Last edited by a moderator:

I don't see how a documentary to celebrate his 70th birthday is going to mention his faults and weaker side...

I don't see how a documentary to celebrate his 70th birthday is going to mention his faults and weaker side...

I agree. Plus: the documentary was more about him as The Prince of Wales, than about the life of Charles Mountbatten-Windsor. It was just the chosen approach by the makers. It became clear that Charles has totally redefined the role of the Prince of Wales, to such acclaim that he will be a hard act to follow for his son.

I just had time to watch the documentary and he comes across as a lovely man. As any human being, he has his flaws, but undoubtedly any conversation with him is absolutely worth having and very interesting.

Looking like this 70th Birthday bash is going to be a major royal �� I hope some official pictures are released.

Back
Top Bottom