The Prince of Wales's 60th Birthday Celebrations: November 2008

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok I have finished my own birthday celebrations and have time to post so here goes.. Mary looked far too severe for the occasion. Hair lovely dress .. awful. Maxima I loved the colour hair jewels not sure if the style of dress really suited such a meeting of royalty. The Queen of England was wow itself lovely outfit and I must say I thought Camilla looked very well to. Like other posters I would love to see more pics... Particularly of the Princes Asturias

There are some people wondering that some royals went to one party and another lot went to another. The first party was given by the Queen and she invited the people she wanted at her son´s birthday celebration, the second was given by the Duchess of Cornwall for her husband and she invited the people she wanted to some went to both because they were invited to both. That´s the way it goes.

Pontedly the Queen didn't invite any of Camilla's relations including her children who are after all the Prince's step-children and god-child in one case. As both the children reportedly see Prince Charles regularly they presumably wanted to join in birthday celebrations so Camilla had to organise a 2nd party. The lack of group photos of the 'private' Buckingham Palace party is presumably because Palace protocol can really only deal with state occasions - banquets, weddings etc & doesn't really know how to deal with grand family parties. I noticed that neither Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands nor Queen Margaret of Denmark were invited (presumably for protocol reasons) to the Palace and yet both have stayed for weekends with Charles and Camilla at Sandringham.

Mary idea was good but in practice it doesn't work.

Personally, for you, it may not work which is of course fair enough...:)...but in all actuality, it does work and work well at that.

Wonder if they did this goth-stunt on purpose?

Could you elaborate please, Viv?...:flowers:

Personally, I used the word in reference to a time (late 18th century) when women's fashion was revived in the gothic style and was largely considered as being both sensual and feminine.

I'm not sure, but it would seem that there are those who are perhaps making a generalisation with today's subculture as a whole and needless to say, that was at no time, what I meant.

Mary was the best dressed of the CP I have seen so far, because Letizia´s dress has not been seen for me yet. CP Maxima was perfect for December 31, and CP from Belgium was perfect for a state reception, too much. Mary´s was not over or understated, but perfect for the ocassion. I think she is the most elegant of all the european CP, although they all are.
:flowers: Both the skirt and the blouse were beautiful and she would improve them by matching them differently, the skirt with another blouse and the blouse with another skirt.

Personally, for you, it may not work which is of course fair enough...:)...but in all actuality, it does work and work well at that.

I am agreeing with the poster, who had said, it didn´t work. This makes us two already and could shake "in all actuality it does work" as ultimate truth ;)

IMO the best outfit was Mathilde´s. Pure, but though not boring. Just as the whole person, Mathilde is. She really is an running ad for nobles instead of commoner brides, but maybe it´s just a coincidence, she is, the way she is ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Pontedly the Queen didn't invite any of Camilla's relations including her children who are after all the Prince's step-children and god-child in one case. As both the children reportedly see Prince Charles regularly they presumably wanted to join in birthday celebrations so Camilla had to organise a 2nd party. The lack of group photos of the 'private' Buckingham Palace party is presumably because Palace protocol can really only deal with state occasions - banquets, weddings etc & doesn't really know how to deal with grand family parties. I noticed that neither Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands nor Queen Margaret of Denmark were invited (presumably for protocol reasons) to the Palace and yet both have stayed for weekends with Charles and Camilla at Sandringham.

She had to organise a party because her children weren't invited to the Palace one? That's the reason she did it? You wouldn't happen to have something to back that up, would you?

I am agreeing with the poster, who had said, it didn´t work. This makes us two already and could shake "in all actuality it does work" as ultimate truth ;)

IMO the best outfit was Mathilde´s. Pure, but though not boring. Just as the whole person, Mathilde is. She really is an running ad for nobles instead of commoner brides, but maybe it´s just a coincidence, she is, the way she is ;)

I'll rephrase. To many people it may not work, which is fine, but for those of us who work in fashion, who either create it, market it, or sell... I'd endeavour to say it does. It's my professional opinion (whatever that counts for hey..haha.) that it was an elegant look for the Crown Princess and she wore it most gracefully.

I don't intend on discrediting your opinion or the opinions of others, not at all..:)..though it should be aptly noted that what Mary wore is not aimed at the "average" woman, your everyday housewife, mother, aunt, sister, girlfriend and the like. It's high fashion and the target market isn't your suburban 'dweller', though if they happen to like the look then great. It's not surprising that many women wouldn't much like it but that's ok because they most likely aren't the niche demographic.

Mary, imo, looks wonderful in black, largely because of her rich dark hair and porcleain complexion.

And yes, the Duchess of Brabant looked exquisite!

Could you elaborate please, Viv?...:flowers:

Personally, I used the word in reference to a time (late 18th century) when women's fashion was revived in the gothic style and was largely considered as being both sensual and feminine.

That's approx. how I'm perceiving the word "goth"! Anyway thank you for clearifying; there's always the risk of losing something in translation for
those of us who don't have English as the first languague.

About the elaborating: Hm.. I suppose I was thinking aloud! From
what I can see from those hasty shots, Mary and MC and strikingly out
of character, and they're - somehow - out of context compared to the other royal ladies we've seen. Maybe these lacy gothic arrangements
are the height of international fashion right now - if
so, they haven't permeated to my place:) - but the pcss still look
out of place for a socalled private event hosted by her Britannic Majesty at Buck House.

Any further elaborating will lead to speculation, so I'll stop here!

Viv

Regarding CPMAry I wonder if a Crown princess is meant to be a fashion icon, compared stylewise to the catwalk in Milano or Paris? Or is she meant to be one step above and regal, someone we look up too (eg: CP Mathilde) esp. when gathering together with other royals. I think Maxima also made a mistake by being too unroyal in her looks. She was glamarous and gorgeous, just like a celibrity, not a future queen

Maxima, imo, wears too much jewellery. Much too overdone and it wouldn't be easy finding something understated I'd imagine considering dutch royal jewellery isn't known for it's delicate sizing. All she needed were the earrings, perhaps only one star brooch and that would have been entirely sufficient.

A Crown Princess is largely expected to express a good sense of style and all of them do, in their own indavidual way, I believe.

My mentioning of high fashion was not to suggest Mary or whoever are attempting to dress like fashion icon's, rather, they are part of a particular niche market where clothes and jewellery of the utmost quality are available too them, and that's what they have to select from.

Pray tell, what is 'one step above and regal'? I'm not about to start calling any of them celestial, so regal will have to do for me...:D

I have said this many times before and I will say it again, 'They are doomed if they do and doomed if they don't.'
Why can't we just accept the Royal Princesses for who they are. Young and beautiful and at a time in their lives when they can 'dare to be different'. So what if you don't like Mary's dress, or the way Mathilde had her hair or the fact that Letizia didn't wear enough makeup. It's one evening, let's move on. They are wonderful wives, mothers and most importantly, princesses. In a lot of cases from commoner backgrounds, let's congratulate them for being different and for doing the best job they can.

Regarding CPMAry I wonder if a Crown princess is meant to be a fashion icon, compared stylewise to the catwalk in Milano or Paris? Or is she meant to be one step above and regal, someone we look up too (eg: CP Mathilde) esp. when gathering together with other royals. I think Maxima also made a mistake by being too unroyal in her looks. She was glamarous and gorgeous, just like a celibrity, not a future queen

She isn't or rather, she wasn't! That said I suppose that a crown princess has always been regarded as a fashion trendsetter, more or less. The royals have the means and the access to the best of the trade.

There was a change with the late Diana. I cannot say if she set out to be a fashion icon or if the media made her one. Whatever, the fact is that she soon became a walking showcase for the talented British designers at the time, Catherine Walker, Bruce Oldfield, Jasper Conran, you name it. --Noone seemed to mind back then!

...and sorry for veering slightly off subject, but that's the way it
goes when human dynamics are at play .......:)

Has Andrew Parker-Bowles' wife been unwell? She appears to be wearing a headscarf, has she had chemo?

If so, is she ok now, is she recovering?

Has Andrew Parker-Bowles' wife been unwell? She appears to be wearing a headscarf, has she had chemo?

If so, is she ok now, is she recovering?

She had a bad bout of cancer not that long ago. I don't know much more I am afraid.

Crown Princess Mathilde (silver gala dress and a grey suit with purple polka dots) and Lady Gabriella Windsor (a golden dress) were my favourites. Both ladies were perfect as usual. Crown Princess Mary, Princess Marie Chantal, Crown Princess Maxima, and Crown Princess Letizia looked all right. Perhaps, some choices of gala dresses are not what all might like, the above mentioned Princesses have had their reasons to choose these looks.

Thank you all for the pictures! I think everyone looked great. Not everyone has the same style sense and fashion doesn't look the same from one person to the next so comparing people is useless. They all looked well put together and like they spent alot of time and effort with how they presented themselves. I suppose if you really want to find something to gripe about you can but I think they all looked glamorous and lovely.

I can't believe Camilla's children were not invited. That has to be wrong. I'm sure there's alot we don't know about who went and who didn't and why.

Rania seemed to be very much in the background at this event or maybe that is because the paparazzi were unable to get proper pictures of her as they were able to do with some others.

I can't believe Camilla's children were not invited. That has to be wrong. I'm sure there's alot we don't know about who went and who didn't and why.

My understanding is that Camilla's children were invited to the Highgrove event, just not the BP evening.

did the royals pose for an official picture?can somebody post it please?

A group photo of the royal guests during the dinner hosted by QEII hasn't surfaced yet. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they had one.

A group photo of the royal guests during the dinner hosted by QEII hasn't surfaced yet. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they had one.

The last chance is one of the magazines such as Hello! that will be published during next week. If I recall correctly there was a similar situation with the silver wedding anniversary of the Grand Dukes of Luxembourg, when Point de Vue came up with a group shot in the next issue.

Tomorrow we will see if Hello! had the opportunity to do some glossy shots that haven't surfaced yet :photo:

I noticed that neither Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands nor Queen Margaret of Denmark were invited (presumably for protocol reasons) to the Palace and yet both have stayed for weekends with Charles and Camilla at Sandringham.

You are assuming the two queens were not invited because they did not attend. I suspect they were invited but might not have chosen to go, sending their heirs instead. It is not unusual for only the heirs to go to a party for another royal heir (which Prince Charles is, though he is closer in age to many of the European monarchs).

Thank for the pic Paty!
I wonder why Letizia is posing in all the pics.
It is strange because she usually doesn't!
Hi Giov,

I do not think Letizia was posing. Can you explain what you mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom