The Prince of Wales's 60th Birthday Celebrations: November 2008

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
^^Keep in mind that the Queen is said to love Sophie so much because she is so understated. That is her niche within the family, the understatedly beautiful wife of the youngest son of the Queen. They didn't want another Diana, all glamour and sparkle, and Sophie seems content not to be that, instead being simple and private, with a bright smile when necessary, but not lavish.

While that is true, there is no need for her to not have a little shine or sparkle. She looks dull this evening.

OMG I love royal parties like this. Another rather rare occasion to see so many royals in the same time. :)
Mathilda was stunningly beautiful. :flowers:Her make up was just perfectly enhancing the best features of her face. Mary of Denmark looked very nice too. Thanks everyone for great pics.

Princess Beatrice?:
Picture details

Inaki Ugandarin:
Picture details

Belga definitely seems to have the most photos so far. I love these events. It really is a shame that they didn't have any full-length photos like at Carl Gustaf and Harald's birthdays. I hope something like that is included in the photos released by the palace in the morning.

Thanks to all for posting pictures. All of the Royal women look glamorous and elegant. I thought Marie-Chantal looked very gloomy for the occasion, maybe that's just me. I'm sure Sophie is dressed elegantly under her coat, I hope.;)

She does seem to be unusually understated tonight. Perhaps she's being diplomatic and not trying to outshine ladies of greater rank.:flowers:

What is up with the Countess of Wessex's appearance? She doesn't even look as if she's going to the same party as Máxima, Mary, Mathilde and the others. Way to underdressed with no hair-do or make-up. Where's the glamour?

Getty Images - Unsupported browser detected

OMG OMG OMG thank you for these photos!! What was Mary thinking? Is that a seperate top and skirt? Because they look completely mix-matched! the top is amazing, and the skirt is terrible! What are those stripes?? And MC's dress looks like a solid black version of what Mette-Marit wore to King Carl Gustav's birthday (http://www.ppe-agency.com/preview.php?start=0&id=6529&zoektype=2&search=29-04-2006%20Birthday and http://www.ppe-agency.com/preview.php?start=15&id=6515&zoektype=2&search=29-04-2006 Birthday). It woudl have looked alright if she didn't look like she were going to a halloween party (as you said donnaK).

Last edited by a moderator:
not the best ones by both MC and Mary in my opinion
Mary looks nice from top to neck. the hair is very nice with stunning (new?) earrings, but from neck down ...:eek::eek::eek:
the belt does not seem to belong to her dress and what's with the white strips on the bottom??

exactly. some dresses look nice, but not for this ocassion! jut take a look a the host and how she generally dresses for such ocassions. i would have gone for something extremely classic.
i have the impression mathilde and letizia chose appropriate outfits and hairdo's. it's a shame we didn't get to see full length pictures for most of them.
did frederik and mary stay at marie chantal's house?

I presume, as there are no photos, that none of the Monaco family or the Luxembourg family attended.

Has a guest list been released or will there be no other details as this was a private party?

I myself would have preferred Mary's dress to have been a one piece, though what she wore was entirely appropriate. The invitation was black tie and HRH dressed accordingly. Certainly her hair was styled the best of all women present, imo.

Would very much like to see what Letizia wore...

Last edited:
i thought mary's dress was adorable, just not for this ocassion. same applies to the hair. however, i'd like to see full length pictures of the ladies in general before making any statements. my first impression is that a more classic one piece monotone with an italian bun accessorized with some nice jewels (mary's are gorgeous in that respect) would be the appropriate choice. maxima's strapless gown doesn't work for me so far either.

mathilde, on the other hand seemed to look just fine.

In the few photos we have managed to see the most beautiful princesses there are Mathilde who is absolutely gorgeous, Maxima and Mary. I am still waiting but of them all Mathilde is outstanding, what a beautiful face.!

I fail to see how Mary's hair could be considered an ill choice for such an occasion. It's very much an evening 'do'. Most appropriate.

Mary often favours (much to my delight) a lowly styled chignon, which is usually worn for an evening event. I admire that HRH chose to incorporate the elegance of a 1940's wave. It's truly feminine and holds well.

MC's hair, however, was not something you would consider as generally suitable. It looks very unkept when considering the invitation and it's company.

Thank you Nico, for posting this!:flowers:
The pic is great - he looks official and also relaxed, i think the portrait says much about the Prince at 60.

I'm impressed that he could look relaxed in that uniform, but I suppose he's had a lot of practice in wearing it by now.

I can barely see Prince Nikolaos :wub: in a few of the photos (without Tatiana, I guess - or hope, sadly). MC's hair looks terrible and she looks like she's exhausted! My guess is that as a new nursing Mom she's not getting much sleep and probably shouldn't have gone. The exhaustion shows through.

Are there going to be no official photos of the guests because I find it really strange that only the Monaco and Luxemb royals would not be invited.

Last edited:
WE don't have a lot of pics! Hope we'll have more during the day!

I can't wait to see all the ladies' dresses!

Was anybody from Monaco attending - or did I miss the picture? If not - isn't that strange? Has it something to do with the undefined status of Charlene - or the sometimes reckless behaviour of EA. Did Monaco become an outlaw within European royalty? I'm sure Rainier and Gracia would have been invited.

Bild PDI_20081113_PDI4088=

Her husband was next to her ... you don't expect Victoria to sit next to the driver, do you :D:flowers:

oh thanks poor king ... isn't he interesting enough to make it on the other photo? sorry but the once so beautiful silvia looks terrifying. i wonder what procedures she has already forced her face through.

OK, here's what I've pieced together so far, largely from the photos plus some reports. There are some obvious holes but I haven't made any assumptions (Eugenie, Earl of Ulster, Earl of St Andrews etc)
The list will be extended as more information becomes available.
ETA.. Rex Features keeps updating the photo log, here so the list is being updated.

The Royal Guests (work in progress)

The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh
The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall
Prince William
Prince Harry
Anne and Andrew (according to the Mail Online, although Princess Anne is in New Zealand)
Princess Beatrice (confirmed)
The Earl and Countess of Wessex
Lady Sarah and Daniel Chatto
The Duke and Duchess of Gloucester
Lady Rose Gilman (neé Windsor) and Mr George Gilman
The Countess of Ulster
The Duke of Kent
The Countess of St Andrews
Lord and Lady Nicholas Windsor
Prince and Princess Michael of Kent
Princess Alexandra of Kent

King Carl Gustav and Queen Silvia of Sweden
Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden
Queen Sonja of Norway
Crown Prince Haakon of Norway (arrived late)
King Hamad of Bahrain
a Prince of Bahrain (?)
King Abdullah and Queen Rania of Jordan
Prince Hassan and Princess Sarvath of Jordan
Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary of Denmark
The Duke and Duchess of Brabant (Philippe and Mathilde of Belgium)
The Prince and Princess of Orange (Willem Alexander and Maxima of The Netherlands)
The Prince and Princess of the Asturias (Felipe and Letizia of Spain)
The Duke and Duchess of Palma de Mallorca (Infanta Cristina and Inaki)
King Constantine and Queen Anne Marie of Greece
Crown Prince Pavlos and Marie Chantal of Greece
Prince Nikolaus of Greece
King Simeon and Queen Margarita of Bulgaria
Crown Prince Alexander and Crown Princess Katherine of Serbia
Princess Margarita of Romania and Prince Radu of Hohenzollern-Veringen

Notable attendees

President Karzai of Afghanistan
Joan Rivers :)

Last edited:
{removed quoted material from deleted post - Elspeth}

Mary is frighteningly thin at the moment. She looks positively skeletal in the hip area. I'm sad that she has worn such a goth black outfit to a gala dinner. The proportions are all wrong. She should follow Letizia's usual lead and wear colour. (That said, I haven't seen what Letizia is wearing!) Maxi wore a fabulous tangerine dress.

I agree and I wish many more people had been able to see it. Charles is so much about quality and enthusiasm and it's a shame that in public he is often presented as the misjudged maverick or wacko who only speaks to his plants, instead of recognizing his fantastic achievements over the last decades. I was impressed by his statement towards the end where he said that if people think that he's a useless idiot he prefers to be seen as such for doing things and not for not doing things. I am sure he will be a great King and bring the monarchy forward, at least if he can keep up with speed during the years to come, and even if it's not meant to be (in case HM will top her mother's age) his legacy as PoW will be remarkable and hard to beat.

Charles is a good mixture of his parents, I can see characteristics or gestures of both of them (he speaks a lot like his father). When looking at Camilla I thought that she is really trying hard and doing well despite not "being born" for her job. It must be difficult for her to adapt to the spotlight at her age and with her discreet attitude. The only worry I have is the generation after Charles. When looking at the countless organisations or good causes that are lead by The Duke or Charles alone, who will be able to step in when the Duke is dead and Charles is King? I am always shuddering when people say "Charles should step down and pass on to William" - a nightmare, those people simply don't know what they are talking about. William & Harry will have to step up not only several but many gears if they ever aim to fill their father's or grandfather's boots - I don't see either much intelligence or dedication for service in them. But hope dies last.

:walesflag::duchyofcornwall:
Hear Hear Hear!!

I wholeheartedly agree with you Your Grace!
:flowers:

:britflag:

Well it is a bit strange to say that all ladys look wonderful when we can only see their faces. As for Marie Chantal and Mary we can pressume that bothe Mary and Frederick where staying at her house. Mary looks like she was going to a Hallowen party also Marie Chantl was not in her best. Dressing all black by someone who is a dark hair is not the best choice!!! Mary looks terrible because she wanted to be in her best fashion choice, sometimes she must be carreful because too mucht fashion addicted is not good!:cool: Why Marie Chantal was sitting in the back side of the car and her husband at the front???Why they were not sitting together???

i have no doubt that the prince of wales and the lovely duchess will make an excellent joke as future monarchs. he definitely has set the mark high up for all the other crown princely couples, in the same fashion as her majesty the queen and his mum did with the rest of the other monarchs and their consorts.

i can't wait to see a group picture at least to have a vague idea of the ladies dresses!

so many people staying at MC's house! i had no idea that maxima and WA were close friends with MC and pavlos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom