The Prince of Wales's 60th Birthday Celebrations: November 2008

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sometimes it seems that no one in the BRF can do anything right and this seems to be right now. They sell those biscuits here but I have never tried them, they are a bit expensive and when I squeeze the packet (joking of course) there don´t seem to be many in them.....

the king and queen of spain will visit japan from the 8th-14th november. i guess that leaves less possibilities of the prince and princess of asturias representing the spanish house in the birthday celebration :(

I think there already were occasions in the past with both Kings & CP out of the country at the same time. Would be a shame to see the Spanish CPs pulling out, maybe Infanta Cristina & Inaki will go instead. We'll see - it's only about one evening abroad, some royals will continue their events back home on Friday already (eg CP Victoria).

the norwegian calender has been updated and it seems mette-marit won't attend the celebrations:
Prinsen av Wales 60 år
H.M. Dronningen og H.K.H. Kronprinsen er til stede ved feiringen av Prinsen av Wales' 60-årsdag, London (17:45 - H.K.H. Kronprinsen fra 20:30)

MARG, are you saying that because you dread Charles becoming King?:flowers:
Only insofar as TPTB will expect him to grit his teeth and smile a mile. I really am going to miss his strong advocacy, and I also wonder how on earth he is going to remain silent on any of those areas he has campaigned passionately for all his life.
---------------------

Not a bad article, but I do worry about the constant referral to unnamed sources.:flowers:

As the journalist who wrote this was on the Far East tour with the Prince, who was accompanied by his chief press officer Paddy Harverson I suspect that the 'unnamed' source is in fact the press officer. This also makes sense of the constant and misleading claims that the Prince has 'recently' come to terms with the fact that it will be some time before he becomes king. When anybody who watched Jonathan Dimbleby's interview with Prince Charles in 1994, will know he had already assumed that was so back then. But Mr. Harverson didn't join Prince Charles's staff until 2003 and may well have never seen the original broadcast as his background is that of football journalism.

. . . . But Mr. Harverson didn't join Prince Charles's staff until 2003 and may well have never seen the original broadcast as his background is that of football journalism.
Football journalist? Ouch! :D

the norwegian calender has been updated and it seems mette-marit won't attend the celebrations:

How 'badly' injured was she by the fall? Certainly, I'd have thought a concussion shouldnt have such a lingering effect that it should stop her from participating in events a month or so on...a bit strange, imo...but there you go!

As Prince Charles turns 60, we get an exclusive insight into the man who would be king (if he lives long enough) | Mail Online
Life is short. There's so much more to do, says Prince Charles as he enters his sixth decade. BBC One has spend a year with him making a remarkable film, and the Mail's Robert Hardman was there.
Wandering around the walled garden of his Gloucestershire home in a battered old gardening jacket, rattling off the names of favourite plants, Prince Charles rummages around in a pocket and plucks out yet another 'to do' list. ...
The article has got nice photos of Prince Charles.

Thank you Al bina, great article. It's a shame he was nearly sixty before I realised that he is a great man

A KENTON school choir held one of their last rehearsals before performing at Prince Charles' birthday yesterday.
Pupils from Preistmead Middle School, in Hartford Avenue, will join a choir of 200 to perform for the Prince of Wales' 60th birthday at the Royal Opera House, next Friday November 14.

Kenton school choir to perform for Prince Charles (From Harrow Times)

November 10

A Daily Telegraph/YouGov poll commissioned to mark the 60th birthday of the Prince this Friday showed that only 17 per cent wanted the Duchess to become Queen. When the same question was asked on her 60th birthday in July 2007, the number in favour was 28 per cent.

Public support falls for Queen Camilla - Telegraph

Prince Charles may never be King Charles - Telegraph

( If it was me how said that the ´Telegragh´ articles about Charles 60th birthday are always good... i take it back now!
´The new poll´ what is it?, who was asked?, is it representative ?...etc... no information, only a headline fit for a bad tabloid
sorry...not good for a good newspaper!! :bang:)

Public support falls for Queen Camilla - Telegraph
´The new poll´ what is it?, who was asked?, is it representative ?...etc... no information, only a headline fit for a bad tabloid
sorry...not good for a good newspaper!! :bang:)
Although I am a member of YouGov select and frequently take part in a variety of their polls, the way the question was worded made answering quite difficult. Do I answer that my opinion has changed (when it hasn't, I always supported her becoming Queen consort) or do I say my opinion has not changed, which is then read as not supporting her in the past or now. There is also, as you say, no mention of how many were invited to take part and how many actually did.:flowers:

This poll result doesn't seem to fit with her current popularity. Has somebody been playing with the numbers

Last edited by a moderator:
Plans for Italian conductor Riccardo Muti to perform at Buckingham Palace on Thursday for Prince Charles' 60th birthday party have collapsed. Muti had been expected to conduct the London-based Philharmonia Orchestra at the gala party hosted by Queen Elizabeth II the day before Charles, her eldest son, turns 60.

Conductor drops out of concert for Prince Charles - Yahoo! News

I have to say I thouroughly enjoyed the programme on the Prince of Wales. What a lovely man. I have to say i was surprised by how down to earth he was. I especially liked the comments about Princes William and Harry, his father reading him stories as a child etc.

However my favourite part was when he talked about the Queen Mother. Truly very touching

I have to say I thouroughly enjoyed the programme on the Prince of Wales. What a lovely man. I have to say i was surprised by how down to earth he was. I especially liked the comments about Princes William and Harry, his father reading him stories as a child etc.

However my favourite part was when he talked about the Queen Mother. Truly very touching
Fantastic programme, it reminded me of just how proud I am that he will be our future King!:flowers:

The Queen has given a rare tribute to Prince Charles and spoken of her enormous pride in her son as he nears his 60th birthday.She heaped praise on her oldest son - who will celebrate his birthday this Friday - noting his 'vision and conviction' at a reception for his charity, the Prince's Trust.

'I'm proud of my son': The Queen gives a rare public tribute to mark Prince Charles' 60th birthday | Mail Online

IMHO, this is the best birthday present that Prince Charles could have received from his parents. Well done. :flowers::flowers::flowers:

The Prince of Wales, The Duchess of Cornwall and Prince Harry attended the Comedy Gala Show´We are most amused´, Wimbledon Theatre, London
November 12

Getty Images - Unsupported browser detected

more pics:
Getty Images - Unsupported browser detected#

As the Prince of Wales prepares to celebrate his 60th birthday on Friday, his biographer Penny Junor charts the unsung success of his charity work and prescient support for vital causes

At 60, Prince Charles may be too busy to be king - Telegraph

I agree and I wish many more people had been able to see it. Charles is so much about quality and enthusiasm and it's a shame that in public he is often presented as the misjudged maverick or wacko who only speaks to his plants, instead of recognizing his fantastic achievements over the last decades. I was impressed by his statement towards the end where he said that if people think that he's a useless idiot he prefers to be seen as such for doing things and not for not doing things. I am sure he will be a great King and bring the monarchy forward, at least if he can keep up with speed during the years to come, and even if it's not meant to be (in case HM will top her mother's age) his legacy as PoW will be remarkable and hard to beat.

Charles is a good mixture of his parents, I can see characteristics or gestures of both of them (he speaks a lot like his father). When looking at Camilla I thought that she is really trying hard and doing well despite not "being born" for her job. It must be difficult for her to adapt to the spotlight at her age and with her discreet attitude. The only worry I have is the generation after Charles. When looking at the countless organisations or good causes that are lead by The Duke or Charles alone, who will be able to step in when the Duke is dead and Charles is King? I am always shuddering when people say "Charles should step down and pass on to William" - a nightmare, those people simply don't know what they are talking about. William & Harry will have to step up not only several but many gears if they ever aim to fill their father's or grandfather's boots - I don't see either much intelligence or dedication for service in them. But hope dies last.

Great Article. I bet the tokens will still be a serect for Prince Charles. I don't think he reads tabloids.:)

I am not so sure about that but in yesterday's programme it became obvious that Charles doesn't watch the GMTV breakfast show (he had no clue what the hosts of his Prince's Trust awards show, Jenni Falconer & Ben Shepard are famous for), he apologized that is was "too early" for him, and lateron he confessed having watched neither "Shrek 1" nor "Shrek 2". Time for some grandkids to bring him up to date I'd say!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom