The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-14-2008, 08:27 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuroraB View Post
OK, you twisted my pinkie, but only if she would sing "Dove Sono" from The Marriage of Figaro. One of my favorite operas.
And indeed you have good taste!!

Old 10-14-2008, 11:31 PM
Nobility

Russo,
You just transported me back in time to my carefree undergraduate years, when opera was an integral part of my life. Long before Kiri came on the scene. Remember names like Joan Sutherland, Leontyne Price, Marilyn Horne, Beverly Sills, etc. Ah yes, the good old days.

Old 10-15-2008, 12:08 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuroraB View Post
Russo,
You just transported me back in time to my carefree undergraduate years, when opera was an integral part of my life. Long before Kiri came on the scene. Remember names like Joan Sutherland, Leontyne Price, Marilyn Horne, Beverly Sills, etc. Ah yes, the good old days.
Oh what a lovely guilty pleasure. I don't think I could drag Mr. Russo to one!! And they are $pendy here in Oregon. . . .
Old 10-15-2008, 01:15 AM
Nobility

Tickets are pricey if you're in the big cities, but the colleges I attended had a great music dept and presented an opera every year plus there was a local opera company. Being a music major, attendance was mandatory (and free).
The highlight was attending a master class (in the dead of winter --wind chill near 25 below) presented by Marilyn Horne. Probably because I did a 360 on ice with my boyfriend's VW bug!
Old 10-15-2008, 01:24 AM
Imperial Majesty

If we could maybe curtail the reminiscences and get back on topic, it would be much appreciated...
Old 10-15-2008, 07:48 AM
Nobility

Sorry Elspeth, just got carried away.
Old 10-15-2008, 07:39 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
If we could maybe curtail the reminiscences and get back on topic, it would be much appreciated...
Busted again!

What does one give HRH for a birthday gift? Does he request donations to his charity?
Old 10-16-2008, 04:48 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russophile View Post
Busted again!

What does one give HRH for a birthday gift? Does he request donations to his charity?
Mmmm, something daft or quirky perhaps, that's on top of the Faberge Eggs!
Old 10-17-2008, 03:50 AM
Administrator
Blog Editor
Picture of the Month Representative - Luxembourg
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Thursday 13 Nov Attendance at the 60th birthday celebrations of the Prince of Wales, Buckingham Palace – The King and The Queen, The Crown Princess
This is on the calender for the Swedish royal family:
Royal Diary - Kungahuset [NS4 version]
Old 10-17-2008, 04:15 AM
Royal Highness

Thank you for the information, JessRulz!
Interesting to see that senior members of other royal houses will attend the reception. And nice to see that the Swedish Royal Family will be there.
I´m waiting to see the whole guests list!
Old 10-17-2008, 10:39 AM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by milla Ca View Post
Queen plans Charles´60th do
August 12

Da Vinci paintings form part of celebrations.

Queen plans Charles' 60th do
Quote:
Elspeth King, curator of the museum, said: "This exhibit is the thrill of a lifetime.
I didn't know our own Elspeth moonlighted as a museum curator in Scotland. Seriously I die to see those da Vinci drawings. We had an exhibition in NY at the Met and they were breathtaking.
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 10-17-2008, 10:52 PM
Heir Apparent

I am not sure whether anyone has posted these photos Rex Features. Looking at some photos, I have to note that Prince Charles and Princess Diana did have their happy moments.
To wander on in a huge forest without thought of return. To stand upon the shore and gaze after a boat that disappears behind distant islands. To contemplate the flight of wild geese seen and lost among the clouds.
And, subtle shadows of bamboo on bamboo." Zeami Motokiyo
Old 10-18-2008, 05:27 AM
Imperial Majesty

I couldn't find many pictures of Charles & Diana to note any happy moments, I would also question their friends and family section, showing Charles and Spencer at the time of the return of Diana's body and on the 'walk'. He could not be counted as a friend or family, scraping the bottom of the barrel there me thinks.

The gallery with Camilla was nice, nothing spectacular there.

Disappointing really when you consider all the photographs at their disposal.
Old 10-18-2008, 10:11 AM
Heir Apparent

Rex has compiled photos of Prince Charles it deemed appropriate. The above photos reflect certain facets of Prince Charles' life. That is all there is to it.
To wander on in a huge forest without thought of return. To stand upon the shore and gaze after a boat that disappears behind distant islands. To contemplate the flight of wild geese seen and lost among the clouds.
Old 10-18-2008, 11:35 AM
Heir Apparent

Do 'we' know if any members of the DRF will be attending?

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 10-18-2008, 03:27 PM
Heir Presumptive

Sorry Madame Royale, I haven't yet heard or seen anything to indicate that they will...
But I guess there's still some time.

I am glad to see the the Swedish royals will attend.
Old 10-18-2008, 08:36 PM
Heir Apparent

Prince Charles has already raised eyebrows by having not one but two birthday parties, and now his wife Camilla is planning to give him 60 individual gifts - one to mark every year of his life.
Camilla's 60 birthday presents for Charles...one for every year of his life | Mail Online
Old 10-18-2008, 10:38 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Sorry Madame Royale, I haven't yet heard or seen anything to indicate that they will...

But I guess there's still some time.
Thanks Marmi...

I know the Crown Princely calendar goes month by month, but I can't envision Frederik or Mary partaking. The only British royals Mary's been acquainted with are the Earl and Countess of Wessex, the Princess Royal, Prince and Princess Michael of Kent and the Duke and Duchess of Gloucester.

As for the Queen and Prince Henrik, I haven't read anything and as for Joachim or Benedikte...no idea and probably not. Who knows.

I personally think it's a down right shame, however, that Charles and Camilla don't involve themselves with royal events on the continent. As much as I like Sophie, I'd much rather see the Duchess familiarise herself with faces and names, especially amongst her Crown Princely counterparts.

Charles, in recent years, seems to have backed off completely.

Old 10-18-2008, 11:30 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale View Post
... I'd much rather see the Duchess familiarise herself with faces and names, especially amongst her Crown Princely counterparts.
Charles, in recent years, seems to have backed off completely..
Frederik and Mary, as well as other Crown Princes/Princesses on the continent, are at least a generation younger than Charles and Camilla. They probably have in common with the younger CPs as they would with William and Harry. They have similar job titles but in totally different places in their personal lives to make much connection.
Old 10-19-2008, 12:02 AM
Heir Apparent

I don't see why their respective ages (Charles and Camilla's) should prohibit them from taking an active representative role on the continent. That would be a relatively poor excuse, imo.

Age should create no constraint for sociability. And unless you meet someone, how do you know you share nothing in common?

Yes, Charles' generation are themselves sovereign Heads of State, but he is still the heir and that alone should induce some sense of commonality with those who share that position, abroad. And they are (Charles and Camilla) really quite engaging. Charles with his suave equanimity and the Duchess who seems delightful more often than not.

This is all, of course, my own opinion.

Tags
60th birthday, birthday celebration, prince charles, prince of wales, royal collection