The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-14-2008, 05:47 PM
Imperial Majesty

It's a shame the Duchess of Kent didn't go, since it's a family celebration and not an official occasion. Thanks for the photos, Iceflower! Nice to see the British royals make an appearance in the thread.

Old 11-14-2008, 05:47 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFinn View Post
Maxima and Willem-Alexander
APA-Picturedesk
APA-Picturedesk
APA-Picturedesk
APA-Picturedesk
APA-Picturedesk
APA-Picturedesk
Willem-Alexander talks with a photographer
APA-Picturedesk
According to the text at the photo, Willem-Alexander wasn´t keen to pose for the photographers.
Apparently he threw a tantum at a photographer. Not surprising as he does that more often. The PoO does not understand that, even when he is right, it makes him look like a bloody spiolt fool. He did the same in new-Zealand, in Argentina and on other occassions. Beatrix is to blame I suppose, she installed a sort of hatred and enemy-thinking behavior in all her sons towards the press, which was obvious in their childhood already. Constantijn luckily recovered from it, the others did not. Oh well, at least Máxima makes up for it, trying to keep smiling and wearing the best/most jewels of the party.

Old 11-14-2008, 05:50 PM
Royal Highness

Yes Tekla, it's strange indeed... After all the House of Hannover is related to the House of Windsor. The Queen and EA are relatives, so the absence of P. Caroline and P Ernst August is intriguing. On the other hand... I sometimes think that Caroline was tolerated ( tolerated, not wanted or even accepted ) among other royals just because of her father, and now that Prince Rainier has passed away, why bother? Traditional monarchies seem to want to mark a distance, has if they are saying "you're not one of us, you're not of our rank!" Shame...
Old 11-14-2008, 05:57 PM
Serene Highness

^Even if they think that Caroline is "out of their rank" being Pss of Monaco, she is married to a cousin of QEII so I'd be suprised if they weren't invited. And Albert has always seemed friendly with Charles so I'm suprised he wasn't there as well.
I really wish we had more pics of inside. At least a group photo! Those are always nice for historians later on.
Old 11-14-2008, 05:59 PM
Administrator

It's been a pleasure, Elspeth

Here's part two of the guest list :

Princess Mathilde and Prince Philippe
King Simeon and Queen Margarita
King Michael and Queen Helen of Romania
Lord Nicholas Windsor with sister Helen
Little Albert trying to escape
King Harald with Queen Sonja
Old 11-14-2008, 05:59 PM
Serene Highness

I thought it was somewhat disappointing that we don't have more full length photos but I'm understanding to the fact that this was defined as "private". I thought the the royal family of Britain were the best dressed overall. The Queen looked great in ivory and Camilla looked lovely in pink.

I read somewhere in the thread that a poster said that we look too much at what the royals are wearing and in fact they probably notice very little what each other is wearing. I seriously doubt that. That line made me laugh! Who hasn't gone to a large gathering(a party, a wedding, a reunion, a anniversary) and not fussed over yourself earlier in the day and then once at the event glanced around to check that you stack up to the rest? I'm willing to bet these royals have reputations with each other and they are just like us when worrying about their outfits.
Old 11-14-2008, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
Welcome to the world of active posting! I hope you stick around.

I'm not sure there's an official list of invitees, so we may not know if they were invited and refused or weren't invited. I believe the Monaco royals weren't there either.
Thank for the reply. Yes I do plan to try and post more often.

Quote:
Yes Tekla, it's strange indeed... After all the House of Hannover is related to the House of Windsor. The Queen and EA are relatives, so the absence of P. Caroline and P Ernst August is intriguing. On the other hand... I sometimes think that Caroline was tolerated ( tolerated, not wanted or even accepted ) among other royals just because of her father, and now that Prince Rainier has passed away, why bother? Traditional monarchies seem to want to mark a distance, has if they are saying "you're not one of us, you're not of our rank!" Shame...
Yes it does seem as if some of the other European monarchies look down on the Monaco royals and I've never been sure why. I know there been some bad behavior on Caroline, Stephanie and Albert's parts but there's bad behavior in virtually all royal families. And the antics of these three pale in comparison to the antics of lots historical and even current royals. Maybe it's an issue of rank as the Grimaldis are TSH as opposed to TRH.
Old 11-14-2008, 06:17 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
Apparently he threw a tantum at a photographer. Not surprising as he does that more often. The PoO does not understand that, even when he is right, it makes him look like a bloody spiolt fool. He did the same in new-Zealand, in Argentina and on other occassions. Beatrix is to blame I suppose, she installed a sort of hatred and enemy-thinking behavior in all her sons towards the press, which was obvious in their childhood already. Constantijn luckily recovered from it, the others did not. Oh well, at least Máxima makes up for it, trying to keep smiling and wearing the best/most jewels of the party.

It's only according to a stupid photographer. Total hearsay! Especially hard to believe W-A was so unwilling since he is the only royal photographed with a photographer. Not to mention the fact that him and his wife are likely the most photographed of the royal guests when leaving their hotel.

Besides this was a private event having photographers pacing out in front of the hotel or wherever these royals were when the photos were captured is a little irritating possibly. Back when W-A had his private 40th bash I don't remember these types of photos being taken of guests leaving to go to the party. Maybe W-A was expecting more privacy for such an event. Who knows! I'm just trying to give him the benefit of the doubt.
Old 11-14-2008, 06:23 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by biboquinhas View Post
O.K it was my mistake!
As for Mary's clothes I just think that she tries a lot to be into fashion, she achieve that most of the time, of course, I love the way she dresses, but sometimes I just hope that she could dress more like a Royal and not like a fashion celebrity that is all!
What in the world do you mean by fashion celebrity? Mary goes to many events, and always seems to be right on the mark as far as what she wears. You very seldom ever see her wear a dress such as what Maxima was wearing which would be a "celebrity" dress. Mary is very classic in her clothing.
Old 11-14-2008, 06:35 PM
Heir Apparent

I have read that there is a concert scheduled for the PoW tonight with Rod Stewart singing. Have any photos been released yet?
Old 11-14-2008, 06:36 PM
Imperial Majesty

DO NOT EVEN THINK ABOUT BRINGING THE MARY-LETIZIA WARS TO THIS THREAD. THE THREAD IS ABOUT PRINCE CHARLES'S BIRTHDAY, AND WE'RE NOT HAVING IT OVERSHADOWED BY PARTISANS OF FOREIGN PRINCESSES TRYING TO SCORE POINTS OFF EACH OTHER.

Elspeth
for a rather exasperated British moderation team
Old 11-14-2008, 07:12 PM
Nobility

Someone knows if there will be a group photo?
Old 11-14-2008, 07:21 PM
Aristocracy

I think Mary did not look well for this event at all. Her dress is confusing and is not accentuating anything. It is definately not a "wow" dress. (Well, maybe "wow" in the wrong way.)
Old 11-14-2008, 07:51 PM
Courtier

{Ed. - Elspeth}

ok Maxima made me think Hakunna mattata?. Don't you agree?!

Galerías de imágenes
Old 11-14-2008, 08:00 PM
Courtier

George Gilman was next to the Countess of Ulster in one photograph...
Old 11-14-2008, 08:06 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan View Post
I know I'm in the minority but I like Mary's dress to be honest. The neckline is a bit high for such a young woman and the colour's a bit funereal, her face seems quite pale and the overall look is that of a Halloween costume...actually I've talked myself out it. I hate it and it must never be worn again.
And for a brief moment I found myself thinking that at least you, had some understanding of what high fashion is. oh well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora810 View Post
I read somewhere in the thread that a poster said that we look too much at what the royals are wearing and in fact they probably notice very little what each other is wearing. I seriously doubt that. That line made me laugh! Who hasn't gone to a large gathering(a party, a wedding, a reunion, a anniversary) and not fussed over yourself earlier in the day and then once at the event glanced around to check that you stack up to the rest? I'm willing to bet these royals have reputations with each other and they are just like us when worrying about their outfits.
What's funny is that you think the Queen (or whoever) is going to be standing around critiquing everyone's choice of attire...lol...now that's priceless..haha.

The aristocracy know their 'place'. There's no competition nor any need to stand about sussing out each others 'wardrobe'. It isn't a popularity contest..they'd all win!

Quote:
but this isn't the vent that I will wear something that people with fondly remember me by
I'm sure the Queen's impression of the Crown Princess of Denmark was formulated, not, on what HRH wore but on whatever conversation (if any) was held between the two.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 11-14-2008, 08:33 PM
Heir Apparent

Such a pity Mette-Marit wasn't able to attend due to illness
Old 11-14-2008, 10:14 PM
Heir Presumptive

I'm dissapointed that Camilla wore bright pink. Darker colors suit her better.

I am also dissapointed that the Grimaldis were not invited I don't understand why some European royals are snubbing them.
Old 11-14-2008, 10:50 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhon11234 View Post

I am also dissapointed that the Grimaldis were not invited I don't understand why some European royals are snubbing them.
Who said they weren't invited? Maybe they had a conflicting engagement...same with the Lux royals...
Old 11-14-2008, 10:50 PM
Majesty

I normally don't consider Camilla a very pretty woman, but that picture of her in the car with the rain on the window was really beautiful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhon11234 View Post

Tags
60th birthday, birthday celebration, prince charles, prince of wales, royal collection