The Prince of Wales's 60th Birthday Celebrations: November 2008

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
DO NOT EVEN THINK ABOUT BRINGING THE MARY-LETIZIA WARS TO THIS THREAD. THE THREAD IS ABOUT PRINCE CHARLES'S BIRTHDAY, AND WE'RE NOT HAVING IT OVERSHADOWED BY PARTISANS OF FOREIGN PRINCESSES TRYING TO SCORE POINTS OFF EACH OTHER.

Elspeth
for a rather exasperated British moderation team

I think Mary did not look well for this event at all. Her dress is confusing and is not accentuating anything. It is definately not a "wow" dress. (Well, maybe "wow" in the wrong way.)

George Gilman was next to the Countess of Ulster in one photograph...

I know I'm in the minority but I like Mary's dress to be honest. The neckline is a bit high for such a young woman and the colour's a bit funereal, her face seems quite pale and the overall look is that of a Halloween costume...actually I've talked myself out it. I hate it and it must never be worn again.

And for a brief moment I found myself thinking that at least you, had some understanding of what high fashion is. oh well...:D

I read somewhere in the thread that a poster said that we look too much at what the royals are wearing and in fact they probably notice very little what each other is wearing. I seriously doubt that. That line made me laugh! Who hasn't gone to a large gathering(a party, a wedding, a reunion, a anniversary) and not fussed over yourself earlier in the day and then once at the event glanced around to check that you stack up to the rest? I'm willing to bet these royals have reputations with each other and they are just like us when worrying about their outfits.

What's funny is that you think the Queen (or whoever) is going to be standing around critiquing everyone's choice of attire...lol...now that's priceless..haha.

The aristocracy know their 'place'. There's no competition nor any need to stand about sussing out each others 'wardrobe'. It isn't a popularity contest..they'd all win!

but this isn't the vent that I will wear something that people with fondly remember me by

I'm sure the Queen's impression of the Crown Princess of Denmark was formulated, not, on what HRH wore but on whatever conversation (if any) was held between the two.

Such a pity Mette-Marit wasn't able to attend due to illness

I'm dissapointed that Camilla wore bright pink. Darker colors suit her better.

I am also dissapointed that the Grimaldis were not invited I don't understand why some European royals are snubbing them.

I am also dissapointed that the Grimaldis were not invited I don't understand why some European royals are snubbing them.

Who said they weren't invited? Maybe they had a conflicting engagement...same with the Lux royals...

I normally don't consider Camilla a very pretty woman, but that picture of her in the car with the rain on the window was really beautiful.:flowers:

well, i am very surpsie reading in the side of the photos about W-A being unpoloit with the press, in one photo he looks that he is talking normally to him and this thing about mouth of to the press, was not maxima that was following him witha camara when they met the first time? so i belive him being with more manners than that , it is difficult to belive that he insult them

Last edited by a moderator:
To clear up some of the questions here is the known Guest List for the birthday dinner.
Most of the identifications have come from photographs; if photos of lesser-known royal guests were taken and not placed online by the photo agencies, we are none the wiser.
There are some obvious holes but I haven't made any assumptions (eg Eugenie, Earl of Ulster, Lord Nicholas Windsor etc)

The Royal Guests at the Birthday Dinner (work in progress)

The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh
The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall
Prince William
Prince Harry
The Duke of York (according to the Mail Online)
Princess Beatrice (confirmed)
The Earl and Countess of Wessex
Lady Sarah and Daniel Chatto
The Duke and Duchess of Gloucester
Lady Rose Gilman (neé Windsor) and Mr George Gilman
The Countess of Ulster
The Duke of Kent
The Earl and Countess of St Andrews
Lady Nicholas Windsor
Prince and Princess Michael of Kent
Princess Alexandra of Kent

King Carl Gustav and Queen Silvia of Sweden
Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden
Queen Sonja of Norway
Crown Prince Haakon of Norway (arrived late)
King Hamad of Bahrain
a Prince of Bahrain (?)
King Abdullah and Queen Rania of Jordan
Prince Hassan and Princess Sarvath of Jordan
Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary of Denmark
The Duke and Duchess of Brabant (Philippe and Mathilde of Belgium)
The Prince and Princess of Orange (Willem Alexander and Maxima of The Netherlands)
The Prince and Princess of the Asturias (Felipe and Letizia of Spain)
The Duke and Duchess of Palma de Mallorca (Infanta Cristina and Inaki)
King Constantine and Queen Anne Marie of Greece
Crown Prince Pavlos and Marie Chantal of Greece
Prince Nikolaus of Greece
King Simeon and Queen Margarita of Bulgaria
Crown Prince Alexander and Crown Princess Katherine of Serbia
Princess Margarita of Romania and Prince Radu of Hohenzollern-Veringen

Notable attendees

President Karzai of Afghanistan
Shirley Bassey
Joan Rivers :)

Last edited:
Who said they weren't invited? Maybe they had a conflicting engagement...same with the Lux royals...

Well then I hope they did have conflicting engagements than they being snubbed from this event because of petty reasons.

WarrenWere Laura Lopes and Tom Parker Bowles there? Were they invited?

All of the photos that say Lord Nicholas Windsor look more like the Earl of St. Andrews to me...especially the one from the car...and also if lord nicholas attended the brunch, wouldn't he be walking with his wife and son not with his sister and aunt and uncle?

WarrenWere Laura Lopes and Tom Parker Bowles there? Were they invited?
My list has been compiled from photos and reliable reports. If they weren't photographed or mentioned, they are unknown quantities.

All of the photos that say Lord Nicholas Windsor look more like the Earl of St. Andrews to me...especially the one from the car...and also if lord nicholas attended the brunch, wouldn't he be walking with his wife and son not with his sister and aunt and uncle?
You are correct and it is definitely the Earl of St Andrews in the front seat. Maybe Lord Nicholas was driving? Just in passing, it's worth noting that Lady Nicholas Windsor is certainly moving in exalted circles these days (British Royal and European Catholic), and she appears to fit in both quite comfortably. Who would have thought that the once-troubled Nicholas would find a bride with such understated class?

I haven't compiled a brunch guest list so I can't help with who may have attended that function.

Last edited:
As always Princess Maxima is stunning - her unique style and panache always stands out on these important "private" occasions.

Thank you for posting all the pics, iceflower!:flowers: Nice to see that there were (except the dinner at Buckingham Palace) other events and celebrations to mark the Prince´s birthday!

Picture Gallery Pop-Up

Prince Charles would be the people´s king
Nov. 15

King Charles – with his armoury of compassion, humility and foresight would be great news for Great Britain.

Prince Charles would be the people's king - mirror.co.uk

Wow, Pr. Nikolaos of greece seems to have grown rather fat....:ermm:

has anyone noticed how some ladies seem to be sitting in the left side of the car, while the spanish royals sat on the right? cristina seemed to have changed side when leaving. i just looked it up and it seems that the second-priority seats behind the chauffeur. does this mean the spanish royals were the incorrect ones - however, this is confusing as cristina seems to have sat in the second-priority seat when leaving - perhaps spanish protocol is different?)

oh...and we can read friendly words in some tabloids too...:eek:

Prince Charles would be the people´s king
Nov. 15

King Charles – with his armoury of compassion, humility and foresight would be great news for Great Britain.

Prince Charles would be the people's king - mirror.co.uk
Thank you for posting this milla,:flowers: Many people appear to have been impressed by the BBC programme, seeing a Charles they simply didn't recognise from the usual chaff dished up by the tabloids. From the article
He minds about people and – although it’s never much said – he has the same effect on them as the much-vaunted Diana did
More than minds, he cares!

Does anyone know if the younger generation of the british royal family (Zara and her brother, Eugenie and Beatrice...) will attend some of the festivities?

The Royal Guests at the Birthday Dinner (work in progress)

The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh
The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall
Prince William
Prince Harry
The Duke of York (according to the Mail Online)
Princess Beatrice (confirmed)
The Earl and Countess of Wessex
Lady Sarah and Daniel Chatto
The Duke and Duchess of Gloucester
Lady Rose Gilman (neé Windsor) and Mr George Gilman
The Countess of Ulster
The Duke of Kent
The Earl and Countess of St Andrews
Lady Nicholas Windsor
Prince and Princess Michael of Kent
Princess Alexandra of Kent

King Carl Gustav and Queen Silvia of Sweden
Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden
Queen Sonja of Norway
Crown Prince Haakon of Norway (arrived late)
King Hamad of Bahrain
a Prince of Bahrain (?)
King Abdullah and Queen Rania of Jordan
Prince Hassan and Princess Sarvath of Jordan
Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary of Denmark
The Duke and Duchess of Brabant (Philippe and Mathilde of Belgium)
The Prince and Princess of Orange (Willem Alexander and Maxima of The Netherlands)
The Prince and Princess of the Asturias (Felipe and Letizia of Spain)
The Duke and Duchess of Palma de Mallorca (Infanta Cristina and Inaki)
King Constantine and Queen Anne Marie of Greece
Crown Prince Pavlos and Marie Chantal of Greece
Prince Nikolaus of Greece
King Simeon and Queen Margarita of Bulgaria
Crown Prince Alexander and Crown Princess Katherine of Serbia
Princess Margarita of Romania and Prince Radu of Hohenzollern-Veringen

Notable attendees

President Karzai of Afghanistan
Shirley Bassey
Joan Rivers :)

Can you imagine Joan with all those Royals? :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Could it be the possibility - if I dare ask this question - that "Monaco" has not be present, because perhaps the relationship of P. Albert to Charlene W. cannot be seen as appropriate?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom