The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-13-2008, 11:00 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomlyKeira View Post
^^Keep in mind that the Queen is said to love Sophie so much because she is so understated. That is her niche within the family, the understatedly beautiful wife of the youngest son of the Queen. They didn't want another Diana, all glamour and sparkle, and Sophie seems content not to be that, instead being simple and private, with a bright smile when necessary, but not lavish.
While that is true, there is no need for her to not have a little shine or sparkle. She looks dull this evening.

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 11-13-2008, 11:34 PM
Imperial Majesty

Article with some photos:
Daily Mail/A princely party from a mother to her son as Charles celebrates 60th birthday
Times Online/You´re an inspiration, young Princes tell Charles

Photo gallery
Belga Picture

Felipe and Letizia:
Belga Picture
Infanta Cristina:
Belga Picture

Silvia and Carl Gustaf:
Nyheter24
Victoria:
Nyheter24
Mary and Frederik:
Nyheter24

Old 11-14-2008, 12:08 AM
Serene Highness

OMG I love royal parties like this. Another rather rare occasion to see so many royals in the same time.
Mathilda was stunningly beautiful. Her make up was just perfectly enhancing the best features of her face. Mary of Denmark looked very nice too. Thanks everyone for great pics.

"The course of true love never did run smooth " William Shakespeare, 'A Midsummer Night's Dream'

http://www.aishwarya-rai.com/
Old 11-14-2008, 12:14 AM
Nobility

Princess Beatrice?:
Picture details

Inaki Ugandarin:
Picture details

Belga definitely seems to have the most photos so far. I love these events. It really is a shame that they didn't have any full-length photos like at Carl Gustaf and Harald's birthdays. I hope something like that is included in the photos released by the palace in the morning.

Old 11-14-2008, 12:27 AM
Royal Highness

Cool

Thanks to all for posting pictures. All of the Royal women look glamorous and elegant. I thought Marie-Chantal looked very gloomy for the occasion, maybe that's just me. I'm sure Sophie is dressed elegantly under her coat, I hope.
Old 11-14-2008, 12:33 AM
Heir Apparent

She does seem to be unusually understated tonight. Perhaps she's being diplomatic and not trying to outshine ladies of greater rank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanna Regina View Post
What is up with the Countess of Wessex's appearance? She doesn't even look as if she's going to the same party as Máxima, Mary, Mathilde and the others. Way to underdressed with no hair-do or make-up. Where's the glamour?

Getty Images - Unsupported browser detected
Old 11-14-2008, 12:46 AM
Heir Presumptive

Some royals looked like going to a Halloween party, not a birthday party hosted by the most classy Queen of the world .

Pictures taken outside MC's house.
http://img527.imageshack.us/img527/734/marie1do8.jpg
http://img519.imageshack.us/img519/5741/293j0qfez3.jpg
Old 11-14-2008, 12:53 AM
Nobility

OMG OMG OMG thank you for these photos!! What was Mary thinking? Is that a seperate top and skirt? Because they look completely mix-matched! the top is amazing, and the skirt is terrible! What are those stripes?? And MC's dress looks like a solid black version of what Mette-Marit wore to King Carl Gustav's birthday (http://www.ppe-agency.com/preview.ph...006%20Birthday and http://www.ppe-agency.com/preview.ph...006%20Birthday). It woudl have looked alright if she didn't look like she were going to a halloween party (as you said donnaK).

Old 11-14-2008, 12:56 AM
Courtier

not the best ones by both MC and Mary in my opinion
Mary looks nice from top to neck. the hair is very nice with stunning (new?) earrings, but from neck down ...
the belt does not seem to belong to her dress and what's with the white strips on the bottom??
Old 11-14-2008, 01:35 AM
Heir Apparent

exactly. some dresses look nice, but not for this ocassion! jut take a look a the host and how she generally dresses for such ocassions. i would have gone for something extremely classic.
i have the impression mathilde and letizia chose appropriate outfits and hairdo's. it's a shame we didn't get to see full length pictures for most of them.
did frederik and mary stay at marie chantal's house?
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 11-14-2008, 01:47 AM
Nobility

I presume, as there are no photos, that none of the Monaco family or the Luxembourg family attended.

Has a guest list been released or will there be no other details as this was a private party?
Old 11-14-2008, 02:47 AM
Heir Apparent

I myself would have preferred Mary's dress to have been a one piece, though what she wore was entirely appropriate. The invitation was black tie and HRH dressed accordingly. Certainly her hair was styled the best of all women present, imo.

Would very much like to see what Letizia wore...

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 11-14-2008, 02:54 AM
Heir Apparent

i thought mary's dress was adorable, just not for this ocassion. same applies to the hair. however, i'd like to see full length pictures of the ladies in general before making any statements. my first impression is that a more classic one piece monotone with an italian bun accessorized with some nice jewels (mary's are gorgeous in that respect) would be the appropriate choice. maxima's strapless gown doesn't work for me so far either.

mathilde, on the other hand seemed to look just fine.
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 11-14-2008, 03:14 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
The official portrait of the Birthday boy :

Getty Images - Unsupported browser detected
Thank you Nico, for posting this!
The pic is great - he looks official and also relaxed, i think the portrait says much about the Prince at 60.
Old 11-14-2008, 03:25 AM
Heir Presumptive

In the few photos we have managed to see the most beautiful princesses there are Mathilde who is absolutely gorgeous, Maxima and Mary. I am still waiting but of them all Mathilde is outstanding, what a beautiful face.!
Old 11-14-2008, 03:26 AM
Commoner

http://www.hola.com/casasreales/2008...aholanda1a.jpg
Old 11-14-2008, 03:30 AM
Heir Apparent

I fail to see how Mary's hair could be considered an ill choice for such an occasion. It's very much an evening 'do'. Most appropriate.

Mary often favours (much to my delight) a lowly styled chignon, which is usually worn for an evening event. I admire that HRH chose to incorporate the elegance of a 1940's wave. It's truly feminine and holds well.

MC's hair, however, was not something you would consider as generally suitable. It looks very unkept when considering the invitation and it's company.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 11-14-2008, 03:42 AM
Nobility

Princes of Asturias.
http://www.hola.com/casasreales/2008...eletizia1a.jpg

Princess Letizia looks very elegant and fine. I would love to see the whole drees!!!
Old 11-14-2008, 03:44 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by milla Ca View Post
Thank you Nico, for posting this!
The pic is great - he looks official and also relaxed, i think the portrait says much about the Prince at 60.
I'm impressed that he could look relaxed in that uniform, but I suppose he's had a lot of practice in wearing it by now.
Old 11-14-2008, 03:54 AM
Aristocracy
Royal Blogger

I can barely see Prince Nikolaos in a few of the photos (without Tatiana, I guess - or hope, sadly). MC's hair looks terrible and she looks like she's exhausted! My guess is that as a new nursing Mom she's not getting much sleep and probably shouldn't have gone. The exhaustion shows through.

Are there going to be no official photos of the guests because I find it really strange that only the Monaco and Luxemb royals would not be invited.

Tags
60th birthday, birthday celebration, prince charles, prince of wales, royal collection