The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-30-2016, 05:20 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
The Prince of Wales attended the funeral of Shimon Peres. What is interesting is that he has his own specialized yarmulke with the Prince of Wales feathers on it.

Prince Charles Adds His Own Royal Crest to Shimon Peres Funeral Yarmulke
Here are a few more photos of the Prince at todays funeral.

Prince Of Wales Pictures and Photos | Getty Images

Old 10-01-2016, 03:15 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Although the article I posted kind of comes across as Charles being kind of self involved as a man that had to let everyone know at the funeral in Israel who he was, I didn't see it that way. It gave me the impression that the yarmulke that Charles wore is something that he has had and keeps among his possessions for occasions where he would respectfully wear a yarmulke. This shows me a deep respect for the religions and practices of other people around the world and that Charles has a very open mind when it comes to spirituality.

Wish the other world leaders were as open minded as Charles is.

“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 10-01-2016, 03:44 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
The Prince of Wales attended the funeral of Shimon Peres. What is interesting is that he has his own specialized yarmulke with the Prince of Wales feathers on it.

Prince Charles Adds His Own Royal Crest to Shimon Peres Funeral Yarmulke
What a disgusting, insinuating and ignorant article.
Old 10-01-2016, 06:27 AM
Majesty

I very much agree with you Duc_et_Pair on that. Perhaps I should have taken more time to search further on for a picture of Charles in his yarmulke without that article but, at the time, had demands coming at me from a hungry, hungry hubby and a Dawg on the wrong side of the door.

Anyone that has any kind of an inkling into the makeup of Charles will see that his actions by wearing that yarmulke was nothing but a deep respect for Shimon Peres and the Jewish faith.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 10-01-2016, 06:29 AM
Gentry

It is a gift by the Jewish community in London and he wears it whenever he goes to a Jewish event
Old 10-03-2016, 08:50 AM
Heir Apparent

Charles visited the grave of his grandmother, Princess Alice of Battenburg (Princess Andrew of Greece and Denmark)

Quote:
After attending the funeral alongside Obama and Bill Clinton, the British royal went to Church of Mary Magdalene on the Mount of Olives to visit the grave of his paternal grandmother, a righteous among the nations.
After Peres' funeral, Prince Charles made secret visit to grandmother's grave in East Jerusalem - Israel News - Haaretz.com
Old 10-03-2016, 01:28 PM
Imperial Majesty

Pictures:
The Prince of Wales visiting his grandmothers grave-
The Sloane on the Throne | The Prince of Wales pays respect to the graves of...

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 10-03-2016, 01:33 PM
Serene Highness

@ClarenceHouse 2h2 hours ago The Prince of Wales paid a private visit to the grave of his grandmother, Princess Alice of Battenberg, while in Israel on Friday.pic.twitter.com/QqK0hYXG4X
Old 10-04-2016, 12:15 AM
Heir Apparent

I wonder what memories Charles has of his grandmother. I know she died in 1969, when Charles was about twenty, but up until 1967 she lived largely in Greece, I believe. The relationship of the Queen's children with their paternal relations is rarely written about and has always intrigued me.
Old 10-04-2016, 10:44 AM
Majesty

I was thinking the same thing Curryong. As Princess Alice was Philip's mother, I'm sure that there was frequent contact with her but from personal experience, I rather doubt a lot of that was done by telephone as us with hearing problems tend to dislike using the phone. Perhaps Charles and his grandmother exchanged letters over time. Charles, as we've come to know, is a voracious letter writer and perhaps he picked up this habit early on in his childhood by writing to his grandmother in Greece? That'd be my guess anyways.

I've always admired Princess Alice of Battenberg and it is quite an honor to be buried where she is in Israel.
― John Lennon
Old 10-04-2016, 06:33 PM
Courtier

Quote:
I was thinking the same thing Curryong. As Princess Alice was Philip's mother, I'm sure that there was frequent contact with her but from personal experience, I rather doubt a lot of that was done by telephone as us with hearing problems tend to dislike using the phone. Perhaps Charles and his grandmother exchanged letters over time. Charles, as we've come to know, is a voracious letter writer and perhaps he picked up this habit early on in his childhood by writing to his grandmother in Greece? That'd be my guess anyways.

I've always admired Princess Alice of Battenberg and it is quite an honor to be buried where she is in Israel.
I read that Princess Alice lived with HM and Prince Phillip prior to her death so Charles would have had a chance to get to know her.

I don't always like to use wikipedia, but it confirms what I read earlier about Princess Alice living with HM and Prince Phillip, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince..._of_Battenberg.
Old 10-04-2016, 06:42 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conny View Post
It is a gift by the Jewish community in London and he wears it whenever he goes to a Jewish event
That's interesting, I didn't realise - the phrase "you learn something new everyday" is certainly applicable for TRF! Thank you for sharing that little snippet of information. That's a nice gesture.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 10-04-2016, 07:24 PM
Majesty

Thanks Conny. Learning that the yarmulke was a gift from the London Jewish community makes it all that more special that he wore it recently in Israel. It is almost like Charles was not at the funeral solely representing his monarch and country but also representing the British Jewish communities.

Just another example I think of perhaps the next monarch of the UK is going to be quite in tune with all the people. Even the diverse communities.
― John Lennon
Old 10-04-2016, 09:10 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess of Durham View Post
I read that Princess Alice lived with HM and Prince Phillip prior to her death so Charles would have had a chance to get to know her.

I don't always like to use wikipedia, but it confirms what I read earlier about Princess Alice living with HM and Prince Phillip, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince..._of_Battenberg.
Yes, Princess Andrew did live at BP, Duchess, but I don't know how much daily contact Charles in particular would have had with her in her last years. As for his siblings, Edward was still very young when she died, Andrew was going to day school, and Anne had her equestrian activities. I think Charles was up at Cambridge University in those years.

I read that Anne remarked once of her grandmother that you could always tell when she was around because of the clouds of cigarette smoke that preceded her! Is she the reason none of the Queen's children smoke, I wonder!

It was the earlier years I really wonder about, the years when Princess Andrew lived in Greece and was still reasonably active. I've never read that Prince Philip took his children on private holidays to Greece, so perhaps Alice went to Germany to one of Philip's sisters and they all met up there. Perhaps, as Osipi suggested, the main conduit was through letters as Princess Alice was congenitally deaf anyway.

It's always intrigued me, because in spite of the tragedy of his mother's incarceration when he was young which lasted for quite a time, I do think that Prince Philip was quietly proud of his mother and her life. We never read any details about this relationship, or whether his grandmother's deep interest in theology, an interest that goes back in Alice's line through Grand Duchess Ella in Russia, Alice of Hesse and the Prince Consort, had any influence on Charles in particular.

The whole relationship with their paternal grandmother and their aunts and uncles and cousins on Philip's side seems to be, in biographies of the Queen's children, just really skimmed over, and it shouldn't be, I think.
Old 10-06-2016, 05:15 AM
Heir Apparent

Prince Charles launches National Poetry Day with Heaney poem - BBC News
Old 10-09-2016, 04:52 AM
Aristocracy

I did read something about Charles visiting his grandmother's grave - for the first time ever I thought Of Course! he did have two! - Didn't know it was while attending the funeral, nice he was there.
What a load of noise about his head attire! Charles being Charles it would be all about respect not "me me me!" Horrified is the word that springs to mind at the idea!

Someone was obviously short a few column inches this week!
Old 10-13-2016, 11:53 AM
Administrator

The Prince of Wales made a visit to a sustainable salmon farm at Marine Harvest's Loch Leven Fish Farm, on Loch Leven at Onich, by Fort William, Inverness-shire, today, October 13:

** atlanticopress.pt gallery **
Old 10-18-2016, 03:57 PM
Imperial Majesty

Video:
The Lord of the Isles Visits a Distillery on the Isle of Harris-
Home - ITNSource News

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 10-18-2016, 05:53 PM
Heir Apparent

Royal visit to the Western Isles

https://www.paimages.co.uk/headline/892601
Old 10-18-2016, 06:16 PM
Heir Apparent

Does anyone know the tartan the POW is wearing? It is not Balmoral, Western Isles, Rothesay, Isle of Harris... I do like it a lot.